Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
New CBA agreement
Overnight the NBA and NBPA agreed on the terms of a new CBA, to go into effect on July 1.

The main takeaway is that there will be no work stoppage. A few details have emerged about the changes coming in the new rules, but nothing we are hearing so far seems very earth-shaking. Shams has some notes out, so does Woj (and others have followed suit). There will undoubtedly be much more info to come on the particulars in the next weeks (and perhaps longer).

The agreement has yet to be ratified, but approval by the members of both sides is expected to only be a formality. At this point, while they have agreed to the content, I would wager they are still writing it, frankly.

The new CBA itself is not yet published online, of course. That may take months.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
I’m gonna sticky this for when the full details come out and we can discuss in detail.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(04-02-2023, 12:20 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I’m gonna sticky this for when the full details come out and we can discuss in detail.

Heard the exceptions will increase. --> Good news for the Joels and Delons off the world.
Rookie extensions will be easier and up to five years. --> Maybe this will help Cuban to re-sign future All-Stars.
Luxury tax salary and trade restrictions and fines will become tougher to stop teams form simply outspending others. --> Bertans stretch-waive incoming.
Like Reply
The NBA Front Office podcast (Keith Smith) has done two episodes on this.  If you know little about the agreement, listen to both.  If you kept up with the basics from the weekend, skip the first and go straight to the second.  There are all sorts of nuggets there that aren't totally pinned down.  I doubt I'll have time to post any of it before the weekend.

Bottom line, there are more penalties for "super-tax" teams than just losing the TP-MLE.  AND, there are more 'rewards' for teams who draft well and manage their money well.  My base case if we keep 23 has been we sign Kyrie and trade the pick/picks for front court help.  The new CBA gives me pause.  We have a couple of really nice young assets already in Green/Hardy.  If we could hit on #10, we'd be in a nice position as some of our vets age out.  That doesn't solve the immediate need for front court help, but would probably be the smarter play in the long run.  Cuban probably reads it just the opposite.
[-] The following 5 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Hypermav, khaled1987, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(04-05-2023, 08:40 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The NBA Front Office podcast (Keith Smith) has done two episodes on this.  If you know little about the agreement, listen to both.  If you kept up with the basics from the weekend, skip the first and go straight to the second.  There are all sorts of nuggets there that aren't totally pinned down.  I doubt I'll have time to post any of it before the weekend.

Bottom line, there are more penalties for "super-tax" teams than just losing the TP-MLE.  AND, there are more 'rewards' for teams who draft well and manage their money well.  My base case if we keep 23 has been we sign Kyrie and trade the pick/picks for front court help.  The new CBA gives me pause.  We have a couple of really nice young assets already in Green/Hardy.  If we could hit on #10, we'd be in a nice position as some of our vets age out.  That doesn't solve the immediate need for front court help, but would probably be the smarter play in the long run.  Cuban probably reads it just the opposite.

So the new CBA doesn’t favor teams who give away draft picks as stocking stuffers?  Bummer!
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(04-05-2023, 08:40 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: We have a couple of really nice young assets already in Green/Hardy.  

[Image: kinda-iffy.gif]
Like Reply
Hopefully Cuban lobbied hard to restrict player communications with parents.
[-] The following 4 users Like BoredAssistant's post:
  • BigDirk41, IamDougieFresh, loki, RasheedsBigWhiteSpot
Like Reply
Excited to watch Mark blow it again! What will be this CBA’s plan powder?
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
Doesn’t really sound like this new CBA is Mav friendly. But then again, it’s not likely any CBA will favor the dumb.
Like Reply
I bet Ross Perot Jr could’ve figured it out.
Like Reply
Good article on the topic:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-c...nd-beyond/
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • MFFL, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
LOL

It figures that once Cuban starts FINALLY spending money on the team, the league clamps down on it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/timbontemps/status/1...95048?s=61&t=-aAylloVlVRI2-DRvoajoA

In five years this will be the year the lottery gods actually reward and we move up to the first pick only to get moved to the end of the first round
Like Reply
There was discussion in one of the threads regarding Turner and whether the league would have approved a trade following his renegotiation.  Strictly speaking the way he was extended would have allowed him to be traded w/o waiting the usual six months for an extend and trade.

Bobby Marks is reporting the loophole is closed in the new CBA and cases like Turner's will require a six month wait.

[Image: _YsI2teE_bigger.jpg]

[/url]

Bobby Marks

@BobbyMarks42

This trade loophole is now closed in the new CBA.

Any player that renegotiates and extends his contract cannot be traded for 6 months.

Turner technically could have been because the extension in year 1 did not exceed 105%.

Quote Tweet

@BobbyMarks42
·
Jan 28
Here is a breakdown of the Myles Turner renegotiation.

Because this was a renegotiation, Indiana was allowed to decrease the salary in the first year of the extension to 40%.

Turner is still eligible to be traded by 2/9.

[Image: Fnl5rEJX0AM_A34?format=jpg&name=small]

[url=https://mobile.twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1619459327546523648/photo/1]
Like Reply
Hollinger posted an article yesterday that delves into the difficulties teams like LAC and GSW will have with the provisions of the new CBA going forward.  He indicates he’s seen the Term Sheet of the new CBA and in the article he reveals some things I’ve not seen before.  Some of the new things are additions to how the second apron punishes teams from a competitive standpoint.  Some are new impacts on teams over the first apron (which probably impact Dallas).  

First a recap of the things we’ve heard about teams over the second apron:

No Mid-Level Exception
Can’t use cash in trades
Can’t trade for more money than sending out (no 125% trade spread)
Can’t trade a first rounder that is 7 years out.
Can’t sign a buyout player if they made more than the MLE
If over the second apron more than one year in four, pick that year moves to #30
Repeater penalty Doubles. 

The new things he mentions above the second apron are:

No Aggregation in trades
Not even ‘Aggregation down’

The latter he explains as follows:

“In other words, a team couldn’t trade two players who make $20 million each for one who makes $30 million and one who makes the minimum, even though the net effect would be to lower payroll for a high-spending team.”

I suspect Dallas (and many others with few exceptions on an occasional basis) will view $17.5mm over the tax line as a hard cap.  But, Hollinger reports there are new prohibitions for teams who are $7mm over the tax (the first apron).  They are:

A smaller TP MLE ($5mm with a contract limit of 2 years)
Same Buyout restrictions as above
100% Trade Multiplier (not 125%)

He reports that the Second Apron punishments will be phased in over two years to give teams some time to adjust.  I’ve read, for instance, that the 100% Trade Multiplier rule will be 110% this coming season and 100% next.  Hollinger doesn’t have much detail on how all the phase ins will work or how it will impact first apron teams.  But, there is a chance a lot of the deals we’ve contemplated (and the size of the MLE we will have available) won’t be what we’ve presumed.  If all of this kicks in for 23/24, Dallas may be working with under $169mm instead of needing to stay under $180mm.  It makes pre July 1 trades more likely.  It would be nice to be Sam Presti right about now.

https://theathletic.com/4444189/2023/04/...hollinger/
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(04-25-2023, 10:13 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Hollinger posted an article yesterday that delves into the difficulties teams like LAC and GSW will have with the provisions of the new CBA going forward.  He indicates he’s seen the Term Sheet of the new CBA and in the article he reveals some things I’ve not seen before.  Some of the new things are additions to how the second apron punishes teams from a competitive standpoint.  Some are new impacts on teams over the first apron (which probably impact Dallas).  

No Mid-Level Exception
Can’t use cash in trades
If over the second apron more than one year in four, pick that year moves to #30

No Aggregation in trades

“In other words, a team couldn’t trade two players who make $20 million each for one who makes $30 million and one who makes the minimum, even though the net effect would be to lower payroll for a high-spending team.”

I suspect Dallas (and many others with few exceptions on an occasional basis) will view $17.5mm over the tax line as a hard cap.  But, Hollinger reports there are new prohibitions for teams who are $7mm over the tax (the first apron).  They are:

He reports that the Second Apron punishments will be phased in over two years to give teams some time to adjust.  I’ve read, for instance, that the 100% Trade Multiplier rule will be 110% this coming season and 100% next.  Hollinger doesn’t have much detail on how all the phase ins will work or how it will impact first apron teams.  But, there is a chance a lot of the deals we’ve contemplated (and the size of the MLE we will have available) won’t be what we’ve presumed.  If all of this kicks in for 23/24, Dallas may be working with under $169mm instead of needing to stay under $180mm.  It makes pre July 1 trades more likely.  It would be nice to be Sam Presti right about now.

Do you think this will impact what dallas will do if they keep their pick?  I think the biggest short term improvement would be to use it for a current player.  But that player is probably going to be making over 20 Plus per year.   So while it may be a short term help, long term may be a different answer.

I think drafting a player at 10 or wherever who can play helps this team move in the future.  Even if he is a 3rd or 4th starter.   The issue is this younger player probably doesn't help much in the playoffs next year.  So Dallas is in a rough spot.   They need to win to help Luka convince they are competent, but they also need to develop a team that can grow and improve together.
Like Reply
(04-25-2023, 10:13 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Hollinger posted an article yesterday that delves into the difficulties teams like LAC and GSW will have with the provisions of the new CBA going forward.  He indicates he’s seen the Term Sheet of the new CBA and in the article he reveals some things I’ve not seen before.  Some of the new things are additions to how the second apron punishes teams from a competitive standpoint.  Some are new impacts on teams over the first apron (which probably impact Dallas).  

No Mid-Level Exception
Can’t use cash in trades

No Aggregation in trades

Clearly, there's a huge premium on value contracts.  Players who can produce at a moderate-to-high level with only a moderate cost.  Rookies who significantly over-produce.

Maybe a bias in the draft towards more polished 4-year players who can contribute sooner than 19-year-old prospects with potentially high upsides?

Ring-chasing vets who negotiate buyouts, then sign minimum contracts with contenders will have a smaller pool of teams to choose from.

Greater motivation for high-priced superstars to take less salary in order to help their teams assemble championship rosters.  Dirk would be even more valuable under this CBA. Kobe not so much.

i wonder if Kyrie will take less than the max.
Like Reply
(04-25-2023, 10:36 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Do you think this will impact what dallas will do if they keep their pick?  I think the biggest short term improvement would be to use it for a current player.  But that player is probably going to be making over 20 Plus per year.   So while it may be a short term help, long term may be a different answer.

I think drafting a player at 10 or wherever who can play helps this team move in the future.  Even if he is a 3rd or 4th starter.   The issue is this younger player probably doesn't help much in the playoffs next year.  So Dallas is in a rough spot.   They need to win to help Luka convince they are competent, but they also need to develop a team that can grow and improve together.

Yeah, the new CBA definitely encourages teams to draft well, develop and retain.  All things being equal, I’d love to retain the pick.  But, we need to keep Luka happy and make an argument for Kyrie to think he can win here and not just spin his wheels.

Best of all worlds would be to trade down in the draft (so you still get a developmental opportunity) with the trade target being a mid-20’s guy who is proven and who might prove difficult for his current team to keep.  Thankfully, no other team is looking for that guy… Smile   

Claxton fits that quite well.  Brooklyn has no real means to control him, so his free agency a year from now is total risk for the Nets or whichever team has him next season.  All of this puts fans in a quandary right now also.  Not only are we not sure if we have a pick or not.  With some of these new first apron restrictions a possibility this summer, we don’t have any idea what the rules of the game will be for trades and exceptions.
Like Reply
(04-25-2023, 10:44 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Clearly, there's a huge premium on value contracts.  Players who can produce at a moderate-to-high level with only a moderate cost.  Rookies who significantly over-produce.

Maybe a bias in the draft towards more polished 4-year players who can contribute sooner than 19-year-old prospects with potentially high upsides?

Ring-chasing vets who negotiate buyouts, then sign minimum contracts with contenders will have a smaller pool of teams to choose from.

Greater motivation for high-priced superstars to take less salary in order to help their teams assemble championship rosters.  Dirk would be even more valuable under this CBA. Kobe not so much.

i wonder if Kyrie will take less than the max.

Interestingly, the penalty for the first $10mm over the tax has been reduced.  Also, with these restrictions in place, future tax distributions won’t be nearly the $12.5mm projected for the current season.  Hollinger theorizes that teams who are traditionally staying just under the tax, might be willing to go a little over in the right situation.

Teams have to meet the minimum salary at the beginning of the season going forward.  So, even bad teams have to take on salary they might not have otherwise.  Those are the trade offs that balance out some of the draconian restrictions for the top spending teams.  I think it will mean more competitive balance with smart teams doing really well.

As to Kyrie, I’ve long thought we should try to make him a hero for ‘giving up’ some of the dollars he’s eligible for.  I’m hoping for the $38-$40mm range instead of $47mm.  It makes a huge difference to what we can/can’t do.  I think that kind of thing (Harden was an example last summer) will be more common going forward.  Max deals are designed for near MVP types and have been given out like candy.  Siakam is another example.  Barely making the top 15 in the league should qualify you for great money.  But, the default shouldn’t automatically be the same money Luka, Giannis and Jokic qualify for.  Smart teams will figure out how to convince players and agents that there is an in-between that can work.  It probably starts with people who are on the downside of their careers and have already made a ton of money.  So, the Kyrie money is interesting in more ways than just how it impacts Dallas.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(04-25-2023, 11:15 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Interestingly, the penalty for the first $10mm over the tax has been reduced.  Also, with these restrictions in place, future tax distributions won’t be nearly the $12.5mm projected for the current season.  Hollinger theorizes that teams who are traditionally staying just under the tax, might be willing to go a little over in the right situation.

Teams have to meet the minimum salary at the beginning of the season going forward.  So, even bad teams have to take on salary they might not have otherwise.  Those are the trade offs that balance out some of the draconian restrictions for the top spending teams.  I think it will mean more competitive balance with smart teams doing really well.

As to Kyrie, I’ve long thought we should try to make him a hero for ‘giving up’ some of the dollars he’s eligible for.  I’m hoping for the $38-$40mm range instead of $47mm.  It makes a huge difference to what we can/can’t do.  I think that kind of thing (Harden was an example last summer) will be more common going forward.  Max deals are designed for near MVP types and have been given out like candy.  Siakam is another example.  Barely making the top 15 in the league should qualify you for great money.  But, the default shouldn’t automatically be the same money Luka, Giannis and Jokic qualify for.  Smart teams will figure out how to convince players and agents that there is an in-between that can work.  It probably starts with people who are on the downside of their careers and have already made a ton of money.  So, the Kyrie money is interesting in more ways than just how it impacts Dallas.

Yeah I could see lower per year but for a full 5 years 
which is pretty scary in itself
Like Reply