Poll: How many points does Luka + Kyrie combine for on their homecoming debut? O/U 54.5
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Over
85.71%
6 85.71%
Under
14.29%
1 14.29%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 59: MIN (31-29) vs. DAL (31-28)| 124-121 Loss
(02-13-2023, 11:01 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Nah this was on Luka and Kyrie. Neither wanted to offend the other, so they decided not to shoot at all. Big Grin

If Kidd had a good play to inbound the ball, it wouldn't have come to that.

He didn't.
And he had Pinson to inbound the ball.
That's just nuts.
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 11:01 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: [Image: rLplGvCvwMxl.jpg]

"On the count of drawing up a play to throw the inbounds pass across the court instead of directly to Kyrie, how does your client plead?"

"Guilty your honor."
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
Best +/- on team?

Pinson +12
Ntilikina +6
Hardy +6

Worst +/- on team?

Powell/McGee -20

And they loooking for wing defenders.

Best explanation for that would be, that they need Ntilkina/Pinson at PF/C. Big Grin
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 11:04 PM)loki Wrote: "On the count of drawing up a play to throw the inbounds pass across the court instead of directly to Kyrie, how does your client plead?"

"Guilty your honor."

Objection your honor.
Kidd didn't draw up any play.
There is no evidence of him doing any of that for his whole coaching career.
Like Reply
Looked like the same play they call every single time with a bad inbound pass that forced Luka to improvise. Will we ever see another play call?

(02-13-2023, 11:05 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Best +/- on team?

Pinson +12
Ntilikina +6
Hardy +6

Worst +/- on team?

Powell/McGee -20

And they loooking for wing defenders.

Best explanation for that would be, that they need Ntilkina/Pinson at PF/C. Big Grin

Apparently Frank is the best rim protector among Mavs "bigs"...7´1 wingspan and actually trying to challenge shots.
Like Reply
I miss the RC play-calls wherein Jet gets free with double screens, and is perfectly free to receive a pass for a swish.
Everyone knows the balls gets to either Dirk or Jet, but somehow opponents can't stop that.

Frank > THJ
Like Reply
I didn't want to hear it but like every analysis out there, defense would be the team's downfall. 

So far they're right. 

Is Ibaka still available?!
[-] The following 1 user Likes donzingis38's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
Another terrible set at the end of the game. WTF was Pinson doing?  It’s a three point game.  No other shot can help you.  And he’s hedging toward the elbow/paint bringing a man with him?  Was that the design?  He needs to get in the corner so he’s open for a three point shot. I hope the Mavs can maybe add a little defense, keep the team together, and bring in a new coach next year. I’m out of fucks to give. This team has a ceiling with the current low IQ play and inferior coaching. The only thing Kidd seems to know how to coach is effort on defense. The Mavs need someone with some Xs and Os skills.
[-] The following 4 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • BigDirk41, MFFL, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 11:13 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: It’s a three point game.  No other shot can help you.

Legit question if that was the case.15s left on the clock. One timeout left. A little creativity and you get a quick layup. Foul again and see if a team that has been struggling from the line makes another mistake. If it doesn´t work you probably still have time for the usual iso 3 stuff that never works.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
I mean we had another timeout right? Quick 2 and foul?
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 2 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, rocky164
Like Reply
I think the last play was just to inbound the ball and let either Luka or Kyrie shoot the 3 or create a play that ends up in a 3.

Opinion of course, but Kidd has no plays to get easy shots, or get a man open at least.
That last play has the vibe of shooting a 3 and not a quick 2.
I'm not sure if Kyrie receiving the ball could end up on a dribble drive by Kyrie for a quick 2, I would think he has the IQ for that, but if there were no coaching instructions, he'd be free to decide..

But inbounding the ball to Luka?
That seems like a given 3-or-go-home play.

(02-13-2023, 11:23 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I mean we had another timeout right? Quick 2 and foul?

Luka doesn't go for quick 2s.  Big Grin
Like Reply
Gotta give the Wolves credit. They played good D,  trapped them both and rotated to the ball to force a bad pass. McDaniels almost made Luka turn it over on the initial inbounds.
Like Reply
Luka can't be the first option on an inbound pass. We all know he's basically a PF in size and quickness, it's not easy for him to get open against defenders in a half court situation. Kyrie should always be the first option on the inbound and if he's being bracketed then Green can get open. Then if the shot is still going to Luka, it will be easier to get the ball to him once the ball is in play since there will be more spacing.

Luka is not Dirk where you could just inbound it by lobbing it up to a 7-footer. Get the ball in via Kyrie or Green and then it's easier to get Luka the ball via a post-up or dribble hand-off
[-] The following 1 user Likes SwisherPrice's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 09:53 PM)Dundalis Wrote: While the faster paced offense is great, the idea that we aren't getting absolutely wide open shots regardless of the slower pace, but our guys aren't all just bricking them is straight false. Luka has created a bunch of wide open looks for Kyrie, and he's not hitting them. That's not Luka's fault.

Typical that 90% of posts in this thread are whining and moaning about offensive issues, when if we could play a lick of defense, our offense would be more than enough to win games.

SOOO much this...  Our offense is fine - ELITE even.  Our defense sucks balls.  It is a connectivity issue with new parts.  They will get it fixed soon enough.  I really just think we lack size in the paint.  We need to treat Wood like what he is - a PF.  He needs to be on the floor with a C, and Powell needs to be on the floor with an actual PF.  We are getting killed playing this smallball with 4 guards.
Like Reply
Yeah this was a brutal coaching job by Kidd for 3.5 quarters. Seriously.

I wrote up a bunch of points pre 4th quarter, but it all seems moot now. Kyrie and Luka had amazing offensive games. The defense was not there tonight. No rebounding or paint protection from anyone. 

Dwight Powell deserves to lose his starting job after that kind of performance (but one has to wonder why Kidd thought it was appropriate to even start the game with Powell when the opposing team has Gobert). 

That 2nd chance point deficit is what lost them the game. 10 OREB for MIN, 47 to 44 rebounding battle to MIN. 64 points in the paint and nearly 60% shooting for MIN as a team. 

Also Luka yet again with a costly turnover at the end of the game, and then has the audacity to complain to the refs about getting fouled. No my dude, you got stripped cause you dribbled into a corner. Although I will say that play broke down as soon as Kyrie gave it to Josh who was a fish outta water and quickly threw it to Luka who couldn't really go anywhere. Luka found Kyrie but he deferred (this was in my notes a lot pre 4th quarter).

(02-13-2023, 11:03 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Luka and Kyrie are 0-2 so far when they both play. Crazy!  They need to work things out with these two alphas.

I'd say the coach is kind of shitting the bed in utilizing them properly. Their offensive spacing is outta whack. Kyrie is too deferential pre 4th quarter. Luka made a point to keep giving it to Kyrie which was good and no complaints there, but can Kidd really not come up with a pet action to get these guys an open look off an inbound play?

Why is Theo Pinson of all guys throwing the ball in?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
It's unfortunate we will probably go into the all Star break on a 3 game skid unless they can upset Denver. I'm really hopeful they can figure this out during the break. I think Kidd is really blowing it so far as the coach.
Like Reply
I want to root for Pinson.  But I am perfectly content rooting WITH Pinson... while he is on the bench.  He has never been an offensive player - even in college.  Now, suddenly, he is being asked to run offense and be in closing lineups?  What is going on?  

Why isn't Wood in the game for the last offensive play, if for nothing else than he is one of the best 3pt shooters that can stand in the corner.  I hate the coaching so much right now and the BS that surrounds the handling of Wood.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavsfan12's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
Offense is not a problem, defense is. Mavs had bad defense before the trade. They traded one of their better defenders and didn't bring anyone instead of him. Surprise, surprise, defense is still bad afterwards...
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(02-14-2023, 12:16 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: It's unfortunate we will probably go into the all Star break on a 3 game skid unless they can upset Denver. I'm really hopeful they can figure this out during the break. I think Kidd is really blowing it so far as the coach.

That is going to be the longest week if we lose against Denver. But we play the Spurs, Lakers and Pacers after the all-star weekend, hopefully we can start a win streak then.
[-] The following 1 user Likes donzingis38's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-14-2023, 12:27 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: I want to root for Pinson.  But I am perfectly content rooting WITH Pinson... while he is on the bench.  He has never been an offensive player - even in college.  Now, suddenly, he is being asked to run offense and be in closing lineups?  What is going on?  

Why isn't Wood in the game for the last offensive play, if for nothing else than he is one of the best 3pt shooters that can stand in the corner.  I hate the coaching so much right now and the BS that surrounds the handling of Wood.

Same here.
I'm not sure which is true -- Kidd being brain dead in coaching or he hates Wood that much to even play him in a situation Wood should excel.

It's a last play where the team needs to score. Why can't he put all your best scorers in? To be more specific, why can't he put all his best 3 point shooters?
IMHO, I would have preferred Bertans in that last play rather than Pinson.
With Bertans' rep, the other team could be wary of him and stick someone close to him.
Pinson? Not so much.

Let's say the in bounds play wasn't botched and the play goes on. Either Wood or Bertans would have been a higher threat than Pinson.

Kidd's less than mediocre these days.
Like Reply