Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Booker Likes NYK? Vogel Out? Suns Imploding?
(03-28-2024, 12:31 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: IMG_7601.jpg?ex=661604db&is=66038fdb&hm=...eight=1520]
I need Thybulle on the Mavs
Noticed that the 6-0 to 6-2 category has three "old guys" (CP3, Conley, Lowrey). My first reaction was "yea for the old guys" (being one myself) and that it shows that even smaller players can impact a game defensively. My second thought was "why aren't there younger names there"? Are there fewer players making a contribution at 6-ish feet? Are players more offensively oriented? 

I think of Brunson, who is making a great impact offensively in NY. When he was in DAL, the concern was whether he could contribute enough defensively to balance Luka's (perceived) short comings. One of the factors in DAL hesitating to make an early offer. 

Trey Young falls into this category as well. I'm sure some of our posters are more acquainted with other players, but I was just wondering why the old guys dominate the category.
Like Reply
(04-02-2024, 09:33 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Noticed that the 6-0 to 6-2 category has three "old guys" (CP3, Conley, Lowrey). My first reaction was "yea for the old guys" (being one myself) and that it shows that even smaller players can impact a game defensively. My second thought was "why aren't there younger names there"? Are there fewer players making a contribution at 6-ish feet? Are players more offensively oriented? 

I think of Brunson, who is making a great impact offensively in NY. When he was in DAL, the concern was whether he could contribute enough defensively to balance Luka's (perceived) short comings. One of the factors in DAL hesitating to make an early offer. 

Trey Young falls into this category as well. I'm sure some of our posters are more acquainted with other players, but I was just wondering why the old guys dominate the category.

Perhaps there are fewer short guys in the league now, as everyone wants big 3-D wings.

One guy that comes to mind is Alvarado, but he didn't play much this season
Like Reply
https://sportradar.com/explaining-synerg...act-stats/

For people that want to understand how they come up with their impact metrics.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DallasMaverick, mvossman
Like Reply
(04-02-2024, 12:48 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://sportradar.com/explaining-synerg...act-stats/

For people that want to understand how they come up with their impact metrics.

This sounds very similar to EPM methodology (and the results look similar as well). It’s amusing that there example is to show that Kuz was probably over rated during the championship season.
Like Reply
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1011...-offseason

Mitchell on the move this summer?

Of course they're saying the Lakers but I don't see how they have the ammo vs. NYK, BRK, heck even Houston.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
There’s a guy I don’t want near my team.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(04-06-2024, 07:28 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1011...-offseason

Mitchell on the move this summer?

Of course they're saying the Lakers but I don't see how they have the ammo vs. NYK, BRK, heck even Houston.

If the Lakers are willing to trade Reaves (which I doubt). And have two 1sts.
Like Reply
(04-06-2024, 09:58 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: If the Lakers are willing to trade Reaves (which I doubt). And have two 1sts.

Reaves plays both ends of the floor. That trade ain’t happening.
Like Reply
(04-06-2024, 09:55 AM)The Jom Wrote: There’s a guy I don’t want near my team.

Mitchell?
Like Reply
Yeah. Slow feet. Can’t defend perimeter. If THJ got his favorable whistles, they’d be close. Spidey the better ball handler. Timmy the better defender.
Like Reply
Did I read someone comparing Mitchell and THJ, like they are even in the same sentence. THJ is a role player. Mitchell is a top 20 player based on pretty much every statistical rating system I’ve seen. He’s not my first choice as a Mav’s fit, but he’s an excellent player.
[-] The following 3 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • omahen, RGP1981, SwisherPrice
Like Reply
Boo! Next you’ll tell me Porzingis is a top player too.
Like Reply
(04-06-2024, 04:53 PM)The Jom Wrote: Boo! Next you’ll tell me Porzingis is a top player too.

When he's healthy, it's not out of the realm of possibility he is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
With our core I would move to take advantage of the draft and to find someone that has a need for the expiring contract of THJ.

With Bostons second I try to move up and trade my way into the late first or early 2nd. If we can get 2 such picks I make this trade and maybe others if certain players are still available

Z Ivisic got to show his shooting skill in Kentucky for half a season and may stay in the draft to let us take him. Zach Edey of course is worth the gamble. He would give us another completely different way to attack other teams inside.

Ivisic can hit 3's and at 7'3 he would give us an athletic answer to match Wemby with someone who can help us to match him. I see him as a PF that can shoot over other PF's and most centers not a 5.

Zach is a 7' 4" 300 pound bruiser that I would also want to have on the team just for matching up with others who like to bang inside and to make us pretty much unbeatable in a half court game since Luka will often want to play at a slower pace.

Teams have started to look at adding more size and that tells me the league is going to start focusing on the way they call games to make it more of a big mans league like it used to be.
Like Reply
(04-07-2024, 10:06 PM)myconsumerclub Wrote: With our core I would move to take advantage of the draft and to find someone that has a need for the expiring contract of THJ.

With Bostons second I try to move up and trade my way into the late first or early 2nd. If we can get 2 such picks I make this trade and maybe others if certain players are still available

Z Ivisic got to show his shooting skill in Kentucky for half a season and may stay in the draft to let us take him. Zach Edey of course is worth the gamble. He would give us another completely different way to attack other teams inside.

Ivisic can hit 3's and at 7'3 he would give us an athletic answer to match Wemby with someone who can help us to match him. I see him as a PF that can shoot over other PF's and most centers not a 5.

Zach is a 7' 4" 300 pound bruiser that I would also want to have on the team just for matching up with others who like to bang inside and to make us pretty much unbeatable in a half court game since Luka will often want to play at a slower pace.

Teams have started to look at adding more size and that tells me the league is going to start focusing on the way they call games to make it more of a big mans league like it used to be.

Please let this be not a thing.

The NBA has moved away from 1990's Hero Ball...kids are coming out super well rounded these days with the influence of passing.   The game looks so much better from a pure basketball point of view.  I would be very reluctant to make a move that could steer basketball away from a high IQ style of game.

Im not saying that allowing contact around the rim and preventing easy buckets wont be a more entertaining product for basketball fans or casuals(seems like an interesting idea around the rim)...but I would prefer teams not be incentivized to go get lower skilled players because they are brutes.   If that makes sense.  I understand teams FO's are trying to make moves to win, not preserve quality basketball.
Like Reply
(04-07-2024, 10:19 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Please let this be not a thing.

The NBA has moved away from 1990's Hero Ball...kids are coming out super well rounded these days with the influence of passing.   The game looks so much better from a pure basketball point of view.  I would be very reluctant to make a move that could steer basketball away from a high IQ style of game.

Im not saying that allowing contact around the rim and preventing easy buckets wont be a more entertaining product for basketball fans or casuals(seems like an interesting idea around the rim)...but I would prefer teams not be incentivized to go get lower skilled players because they are brutes.   If that makes sense.  I understand teams FO's are trying to make moves to win, not preserve quality basketball.

if contact is allowed then it is better to have brutes than to suffer at the hands of other teams who have them. I too prefer talent over physical force but you have to be prepared to handle things in all situations so grab a brute and a skilled big both.
Like Reply
(04-06-2024, 12:29 PM)The Jom Wrote: Yeah. Slow feet. Can’t defend perimeter. If THJ got his favorable whistles, they’d be close. Spidey the better ball handler. Timmy the better defender.

Hello there, Tim Hardaway Senior! Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes RGP1981's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
I’m close to the point where we should run it back next year no matter what happens.

Give Nico the THJ contract and our 2nd and let him cook with those minimal assets

I like the idea of trading THJ for a TPE like we did with Bertans.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Convince DJJ to take the temporary discount and re-sign for the 1-year deal. Then move THJ (or just let him expire) and Green to clear up space in 2025 to give both DJJ and Exum the long-term extension and payday. It will be hard to find better role players that fit this team than those two with their versatility on both ends of the floor.
[-] The following 2 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, rocky164
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 10:36 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: I’m close to the point where we should run it back next year no matter what happens.

Give Nico the THJ contract and our 2nd and let him cook with those minimal assets

I like the idea of trading THJ for a TPE like we did with Bertans.

I think we really REALLY need to use the THJ contract to the absolute most. Green+THJ contract lets the Mavs get 1 last semi large trade and they can take back roughly 30 mil of salary with it. 

Now do they target a starting 3/4 that can play off PJ and can hit 3s? Do they break that up and bring in 2 guys that fill different needs? 

How they use Green+THJ+Hardy this summer along with the 25+31 will be really interesting to me. That and they have to retain DJJ. I think he's played himself out of the TP-MLE but who knows?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, The Jom
Like Reply