Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
(03-19-2024, 08:44 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think their is a decent change the Nets trade Mikal this offseason.  They are stuck in no where land.  They may decide to wait out until next free agency when Donovan Mitchell is free. That is a tough wait though.  I think eventually Mikal is moved. 

I would really like Cam Johnson.  Just not sure the Nets will want to help us as they have a future unprotected first from us.  I would guess he would have several suitors too.

I don't see Eason happening.  DFS is possible, but I am not sure if I would be willing to pay the asking price.

Not a question for now, but this offseason how do we make this team as on of the top 4 in the west for the next 3-4 years?  Those teams are all good...and mostly young.  You also have some up and coming teams.  Injuries factor in, but I think you want to be positioned closer to the top rather than battling out for the play in every year. The Nuggets are the perfect example.  They can get a way with their B game on most nights.  When they really want it or in the playoffs, you know Jokic will get close to 40 and a triple double.  How can Dallas get there without relying on a A Luka and Kyrie game every night?

Look at what a decently skilled, lengthy player with decent bball fundamentals on both sides of the floor did for Dallas.   Im talking about PJ.

Stop wasting Luka time and time in general on these 10M per "hope he works out" niche players and go spend the money on a modern sized, decently skilled player that doesnt have glaring warts.

Go get a stud player in the 20M range.

All these sports boards go on and on and on and on about cap crap.  The Luka clock is getting louder and louder.

Nope. I dont have a list of players. Why? Because it will be nullified with lots of posts about cap managements and age of players yada yada yada.

Move:

THJ
Maxi
Dwight(unless you think his elite lob deep stats say he is worth his new contract...I dont. Dude has flaws)
Green(if you think you can upgrade)

I think the bottom line is...Mavs need someone they can rely on. You cant rely on anyone other than Luka and Irving...and you arent going to get that guy bargain bin shopping worrying about the cap.

If Mikal Bridges was gettable, a FOR SURE two way baller you can rely on, I would offer up anyone not Luka, Lively and draft assets. Assuming you would still have decent core that could compete in Playoffs. Im aware that OKC, Houston and other teams can outbid us. It was more about trying to get a reliable player that produces at a high level.
Like Reply
NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
A few teams in the east are monitoring Paul George, per @johnhollinger

“Keep an eye on Paul George, by the way. Presumably, if there was a max extension sitting around for him, he would have signed it by now; I think it’s fair to say a couple of cap-room teams in the East are, um, ‘monitoring’ this.”
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 09:11 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
A few teams in the east are monitoring Paul George, per @johnhollinger

“Keep an eye on Paul George, by the way. Presumably, if there was a max extension sitting around for him, he would have signed it by now; I think it’s fair to say a couple of cap-room teams in the East are, um, ‘monitoring’ this.”

You know Morey is sniffing around there.  Probably doesn't matter if Embid is not healthy though.  Tough to get a player to willingly leave LA if salaries are close.  Will be interesting if things change if the Clippers have a disappointing playoff.

I think Jrue Holiday is another interesting name.   I don't think the dregs of the league will get his attention.   But what happens if Philly makes a big push.   It could put Boston in a real tough position with their already big salary commitments.
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 08:44 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Not a question for now, but this offseason how do we make this team as on of the top 4 in the west for the next 3-4 years?  Those teams are all good...and mostly young.  You also have some up and coming teams.  Injuries factor in, but I think you want to be positioned closer to the top rather than battling out for the play in every year. The Nuggets are the perfect example.  They can get a way with their B game on most nights.  When they really want it or in the playoffs, you know Jokic will get close to 40 and a triple double.  How can Dallas get there without relying on a A Luka and Kyrie game every night?

This is a very good point and I agree that the only solution for this is to diversify offense to be less centered around Luka and Kyrie, especially when they don't play. And that offense can't be THJ chucking contested prayers, imho. That is why I am hoping they design a few plays for PJ and see if he is the guy capable of taking that role. If not, they need to bring in another player. 

If healthy, Mavs probably should make it to top6 this season. Phoenix has really tough schedule and it would be a disaster to finish below them. Sacramento is a bit more tricky and those 2 games against them will likely be deciding. 

While I believe Mavs should make it to top6, I am worried how much of a cost will that take. It is not just about making it to top6, it is also about bringing everyone healthy and in top form to playoffs.

(03-19-2024, 09:23 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: You know Morey is sniffing around there.  Probably doesn't matter if Embid is not healthy though.  Tough to get a player to willingly leave LA if salaries are close.  Will be interesting if things change if the Clippers have a disappointing playoff.

I think Jrue Holiday is another interesting name.   I don't think the dregs of the league will get his attention.   But what happens if Philly makes a big push.   It could put Boston in a real tough position with their already big salary commitments.

I think everything related to Boston depends if they win it this season. If yes, I could see JRue declining his PO and sign a long term deal at a bit lower average value. Lets say something like a four year deal at 100 mil. If they dissapoint again, things might get tricky.
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 09:25 AM)omahen Wrote: If healthy, Mavs probably should make it to top6 this season. Phoenix has really tough schedule and it would be a disaster to finish below them. Sacramento is a bit more tricky and those 2 games against them will likely be deciding. 

It's essentially the season, wrt the Mavs taking care of business against the Kings. If they can't get serious and win those two games (both of them, dammit) - and their defense should do it - then they deserve to be in the playin and get their butts handed to them.
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 08:44 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think their is a decent change the Nets trade Mikal this offseason.  They are stuck in no where land.  They may decide to wait out until next free agency when Donovan Mitchell is free. That is a tough wait though.  I think eventually Mikal is moved. 

I would really like Cam Johnson.  Just not sure the Nets will want to help us as they have a future unprotected first from us.  I would guess he would have several suitors too.

I don't see Eason happening.  DFS is possible, but I am not sure if I would be willing to pay the asking price.

Not a question for now, but this offseason how do we make this team as on of the top 4 in the west for the next 3-4 years?  Those teams are all good...and mostly young.  You also have some up and coming teams.  Injuries factor in, but I think you want to be positioned closer to the top rather than battling out for the play in every year. The Nuggets are the perfect example.  They can get a way with their B game on most nights.  When they really want it or in the playoffs, you know Jokic will get close to 40 and a triple double.  How can Dallas get there without relying on a A Luka and Kyrie game every night?

Cam was benched recently which makes me think he could be available. They're definitely more likely to move him than Mikal, at least until they strike out on Donovan Mitchell. Finding a sensible deal is tough though. I doubt a 25 1st gets it done. Do you give up a protected 31 1st along with something like THJ+Kleber? Seems like a pretty steep price for a role player. If they still have interest in Green you could possibly build something around him.

I've gone back and forth on DFS, but at this point I don't think he's enough of an upgrade over DJJ to justify spending any trade assets.
[-] The following 2 users Like loki's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 12:17 PM)loki Wrote: Cam was benched recently which makes me think he could be available. They're definitely more likely to move him than Mikal, at least until they strike out on Donovan Mitchell. Finding a sensible deal is tough though. I doubt a 25 1st gets it done. Do you give up a protected 31 1st along with something like THJ+Kleber? Seems like a pretty steep price for a role player. If they still have interest in Green you could possibly build something around him.

I've gone back and forth on DFS, but at this point I don't think he's enough of an upgrade over DJJ to justify spending any trade assets.

With the addition of PJ I'm not sure we need to be focusing on a big wing as that final piece.  I am leaning more towards a two way player that can play point of attack defense, shoot and provide a little creation.  Green is too timid, Exum too fragile and DJJ can't shoot.  In an ideal future those three make up the bench with Omax and Gafford and we land a starting POA defender using Timmy and picks.
[-] The following 8 users Like mvossman's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, Mavs2021, MFFL, RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 02:29 PM)mvossman Wrote: With the addition of PJ I'm not sure we need to be focusing on a big wing as that final piece.  I am leaning more towards a two way player that can play point of attack defense, shoot and provide a little creation.  Green is too timid, Exum too fragile and DJJ can't shoot.  In an ideal future those three make up the bench with Omax and Gafford and we land a starting POA defender using Timmy and picks.

As long as PJ Washington’s shooting slump is temporary, and I believe it is, I am right there with you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 02:29 PM)mvossman Wrote: With the addition of PJ I'm not sure we need to be focusing on a big wing as that final piece.  I am leaning more towards a two way player that can play point of attack defense, shoot and provide a little creation.  Green is too timid, Exum too fragile and DJJ can't shoot.  In an ideal future those three make up the bench with Omax and Gafford and we land a starting POA defender using Timmy and picks.

Agreed but what you described is exactly what Mikal Bridges is, he just happens to be a big wing as well.

Curious if anyone knows anything about Cam Johnson's POA defense.  All the defensive tape I can find on him just highlights ISO defense which I don't care nearly as much about.
Like Reply

Anyone in mind that might be attainable? You're probably going to have to compromise on some of those qualities unless Boston wants to donate Jrue.

I could see a Marcus Smart or Dillon Brooks being an option if you can stomach the questionable shooting. Caruso would be solid but doesn't offer a ton of playmaking. Bruce Brown? He's also not a great shooter and I'm not sure he's that impactful defensively. Dejounte Murray fits the bill on paper (if you can motivate him to defend again). However, if he can't play with Trae I'm not sure he would be any better with Luka/Kyrie.
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(03-20-2024, 12:18 PM)loki Wrote: Anyone in mind that might be attainable? You're probably going to have to compromise on some of those qualities unless Boston wants to donate Jrue.

I could see a Marcus Smart or Dillon Brooks being an option if you can stomach the questionable shooting. Caruso would be solid but doesn't offer a ton of playmaking. Bruce Brown? He's also not a great shooter and I'm not sure he's that impactful defensively. Dejounte Murray fits the bill on paper (if you can motivate him to defend again). However, if he can't play with Trae I'm not sure he would be any better with Luka/Kyrie.

Caruso...all the negativity about him on the offensive side...every time I watch him play the dude is handling the ball.   I get it...he can kind of facilitate and sucks at shooting.   The ball is always in the guys hands it seems

Djaunte was playing good hard defense against Dallas earlier this year late game in a close one.  Dude can at least one on one defend well.  Was frustrating Luka.   The issue about him wanting the ball is a red flag.   Beyond that...its a risk...but guys like this that show they can play...do it in playoffs a majority of the time.   I would put money on Murray playing hard defense in playoffs.

This board and discord seem to hate Smart.   I have never understood it.   Straight dog that is always disrupting the other team.   This is one of those areas where if its because of Luka fit I will die on that hill claiming the fit guys are wrong.   Any team needs his disruptiveness.   He always hitting 3s when I watch too.   But I get that career/history 3 stats matter.

Brooks gives effort...never been a big fan of his game though.  He does try at least.

Is Thybulle a POA?  His 3 supposedly has gotten better.
Like Reply
(03-20-2024, 12:18 PM)loki Wrote: Anyone in mind that might be attainable? You're probably going to have to compromise on some of those qualities unless Boston wants to donate Jrue.

I believe Caruso makes the most sense of that group.  I think he provides enough playmaking (you don't need a ton with both Luka and Kyrie) can shoot well enough to stretch the floor, and he is an elite perimeter defender.  He is also one of the most likely available in trade.  With only one year left (in the offseason), not sure what the cost would be.
Like Reply

*cough, cough, cough*

Brought up this name lots of times before... he wouldn't be my 1st pick if Mavs only had Luka... but since there is Luka and Kyrie to generate plays, then Quentin Grimes is perfect for the SG role.

Kyrie
Grimes/Green
Luka
PJ
Lively/Gafford

I can't see anyone else who would be easily available AND fit the role better.

BTW, I could live with Brooks between Luka/Kyrie but I'm not sure if having Smart between them will achieve the necessary balance on offense. Brooks is shooting the three at 37% on 5x 3PA while Smart is only at 31% on almost 7x 3PA.
Like Reply
Brooks and Smart foul out in first half wearing Mavs colors. Can’t go that route unless new ownership is slipping some cash to Adam Silver under the table.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 08:50 AM)youzigizag Wrote: . . .

Move:

THJ
Maxi
Dwight(unless you think his elite lob deep stats say he is worth his new contract...I dont.  Dude has flaws)
Green(if you think you can upgrade)
. . .

Last night in the 4th, Maxi screamed at anyone watching “Thou SHALT NOT trade me till Wemby retires!!!!!!!!!!!!”

I was watching. Were you?
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(03-20-2024, 01:30 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: *cough, cough, cough*

Brought up this name lots of times before... he wouldn't be my 1st pick if Mavs only had Luka... but since there is Luka and Kyrie to generate plays, then Quentin Grimes is perfect for the SG role.

Kyrie
Grimes/Green
Luka
PJ
Lively/Gafford

I can't see anyone else who would be easily available AND fit the role better.

BTW, I could live with Brooks between Luka/Kyrie but I'm not sure if having Smart between them will achieve the necessary balance on offense. Brooks is shooting the three at 37% on 5x 3PA while Smart is only at 31% on almost 7x 3PA.

You keep bringing him up and he continues to be very unavailable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(03-20-2024, 02:22 PM)The Jom Wrote: Last night in the 4th, Maxi screamed at anyone watching “Thou SHALT NOT trade me till Wemby retires!!!!!!!!!!!!”

I was watching. Were you?

We can argue this forever.

Counter argument is Luka fit or length, mobility and spacers are hard to find.

I am not opposed to Maxi as a one off on a roster....but I am firmly in the "drain the swamp" of all players with glaring flaws.

Again...you can argue it all you want about fit, need...whatever....the dude has major fundamental basketball flaws.

Every other team seems to have decent guys...so I am of the belief that Maxi isnt some rare jewel.

This team needs fundamental skill upgrades.   They are getting better, it seems, at adding more skilled players.   

Maxi was included with all the other guys on the roster I think have weird issues.  I wasnt singling him out.  

My personal opinion is you need guys that can dribble, pass, catch a pass without fumbling, shoot decently and have a decent feel for the game.  Most other teams have these guys playing heavy minutes.   We have guys playing heavy minutes with heavy flaws.
Like Reply

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and when we get to watch a healthy Exum play I think it changes the conversation in a really big way.  Is Exum not a two way player that can defend the POA, shoot and provide a little creation?

I say this because with a team that has Luka and Kyrie it's clear that you'll need two things, a big wing who can play weakside defense, help with rebounding and rim protection, space the floor and hopefully create for himself in a pinch and the POA defender that was described above.  With PJ Washington and Exum playing and closing games, isn't that what we have?  And with Lively/Gafford/Maxi it's kind of pick which center makes the most sense to close that night.

I say this knowing every player I just mentioned is under contract next year and I would argue that the only reason we talk about getting that POA defender instead of a big wing is because of Exum's health (which is a valid concern).  But when you zoom out, don't we have the pieces and we're really just looking for a talent upgrade?  Is PJ really more reliable in his role than Exum is in his?  Couldn't we really just be using all our other assets to shop for a talent upgrade for either spot and know that we'll end up with a talented player in either PJ or Exum coming off the bench?  

I guess what I'm saying is we keep talking as if we're missing a skillset on the roster that we need to shop for and in reality I think we have what we need and just need certain players to stay healthy so why not just take the best wing available regardless of their ideal defensive role?  The only downside to taking a PJ upgrade and moving him to the bench (a role that he has been playing all year for a lesser team) is that it's a big role of the dice on Exum's healthy but I've seen enough of him when healthy to know he's exactly the type of player you want slotted next to Luka and Kyrie down the stretch.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(03-20-2024, 12:50 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Is Thybulle a POA?  His 3 supposedly has gotten better.

He gambles a bit too much on D but is still really disruptive. Would be a big improvement over what we currently have. He's a DJJ level shooter though.
Like Reply
(03-20-2024, 01:02 PM)mvossman Wrote: I believe Caruso makes the most sense of that group.  I think he provides enough playmaking (you don't need a ton with both Luka and Kyrie) can shoot well enough to stretch the floor, and he is an elite perimeter defender.  He is also one of the most likely available in trade.  With only one year left (in the offseason), not sure what the cost would be.

I'm kind of leaning Caruso too. He won't be cheap. Definitely going to take more than a 1st as a lot of contenders would be willing to offer that. Probably something like Green+1st would give you a shot.

I'm not sold yet that they should do that though. I guess it maximizes their chances of a title over the next couple years, but Caruso is already 30. It's not hard to imagine Green putting it all together defensively with another team while Caruso declines. What would really be nice is a Caruso/Green platoon where they can both go all out for 24 mpg.
Like Reply