Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Booker Likes NYK? Vogel Out? Suns Imploding?
Is he wrong though? The bar for the Lakers for a long time has been championship or bust. Even in the lean years where Kobe was fading. It’s an organization that measures itself with titles. Then you have Cuban. Can anyone honestly claim that the bar was a title every year? Luka has been ready from year 1. Can’t say the same about the organization.
[-] The following 6 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, HoosierDaddyKid, omahen, RGP1981, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Asked by The Athletic why he told Winger he wanted to remain with the Wizards instead of joining the Mavericks, Kuzma answered, “In my career, I won a championship. So, I understand that when we play this game of basketball it’s not about contending for a playoff spot. It’s about contending for an NBA championship. There’s only like three or four contenders — true contenders. I just felt like our timelines didn’t line up.”

https://archive.is/uBriR
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 09:56 AM)MFFL Wrote: Asked by The Athletic why he told Winger he wanted to remain with the Wizards instead of joining the Mavericks, Kuzma answered, “In my career, I won a championship. So, I understand that when we play this game of basketball it’s not about contending for a playoff spot. It’s about contending for an NBA championship. There’s only like three or four contenders — true contenders. I just felt like our timelines didn’t line up.”

This is kind of a self own if you think about it. Just admitting he’s not the missing piece.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 09:56 AM)MFFL Wrote: Asked by The Athletic why he told Winger he wanted to remain with the Wizards instead of joining the Mavericks, Kuzma answered, “In my career, I won a championship. So, I understand that when we play this game of basketball it’s not about contending for a playoff spot. It’s about contending for an NBA championship. There’s only like three or four contenders — true contenders. I just felt like our timelines didn’t line up.”

Thanks for posting.   Thought this was interesting.  I wonder what the offer was?

When Wizards chief decision-maker Michael Winger informed Kuzma that the general framework of a trade was in place to send Kuzma to the Mavericks — a potential deal that Winger felt only lukewarm about — Kuzma told Winger he wanted to remain with the Wizards. “There was a point in time, Dallas, they definitely did want me,” Kuzma told The Athletic on Monday, before the Wizards played the Mavericks at American Airlines Center. “Winger presented me with what the trade was and obviously didn’t want to trade me and kind of left the decision up to me a little bit and asked me what I wanted to do. I told him I wanted to stay and continue to build something. And that was kind of the end of it.”Asked by The Athletic why he told Winger he wanted to remain with the Wizards instead of joining the Mavericks, Kuzma answered, “In my career, I won a championship. So, I understand that when we play this game of basketball it’s not about contending for a playoff spot. It’s about contending for an NBA championship. There’s only like three or four contenders — true contenders. I just felt like our timelines didn’t line up.” – via The Athletic
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 10:11 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Thanks for posting.   Thought this was interesting.  I wonder what the offer was?

When Wizards chief decision-maker Michael Winger informed Kuzma that the general framework of a trade was in place to send Kuzma to the Mavericks — a potential deal that Winger felt only lukewarm about — Kuzma told Winger he wanted to remain with the Wizards. “There was a point in time, Dallas, they definitely did want me,” Kuzma told The Athletic on Monday, before the Wizards played the Mavericks at American Airlines Center. “Winger presented me with what the trade was and obviously didn’t want to trade me and kind of left the decision up to me a little bit and asked me what I wanted to do. I told him I wanted to stay and continue to build something. And that was kind of the end of it.”Asked by The Athletic why he told Winger he wanted to remain with the Wizards instead of joining the Mavericks, Kuzma answered, “In my career, I won a championship. So, I understand that when we play this game of basketball it’s not about contending for a playoff spot. It’s about contending for an NBA championship. There’s only like three or four contenders — true contenders. I just felt like our timelines didn’t line up.” – via The Athletic

What a bizarre thing for Kuzma to say. It totally lacks in self-awareness. Okay, so to him the Mavs aren't a top 4 contender.  Does he he think those teams in any way are interested in him or his contract? If not, are the Mavs closer than the Wizards?  If so, does that mean he's just more comfortable staying on a team that has zero chance to contend during his current contract?

Likewise, Dinwiddie's comments were equally bizarre. Okay, sure, the Lakers have more skins, but they are also led by a guy who will throw his own momma under the bus to get him a chip.  That's not exactly good when you're joining as a 6th to 8th guy.  In addition, does he seriously think the Lakers have a shot?  If he's honest, he knows they don't. And if he really knows the league like he claims to he would know that when they inevitably fail, he'll be one of the guys LeBron will blame for not "providing him a "proper supporting cast".

I think SD likes the ego boost from the appearance that he got more money, nevermind that after Cali takes the state income taxes, it's actually less.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RasheedsBigWhiteSpot's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply

And Kuzma shows exactly why I never wanted him.

He is still riding his laurels as a role player on the Lakers bubble chip and thinks it makes him top dog. 

I am genuinely happy he is so delusional that he nixed any trade the Mavs were trying to make for him. Seriously Kuz. Thank you. Enjoy DC!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MFFL, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
Free agent F Thaddeus Young is finalizing a deal to join the Phoenix Suns, sources tell ESPN. More veteran, frontline depth for the Suns’ stretch and playoff run. Young has spent the past two-plus seasons with the Toronto Raptors.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 12:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: And Kuzma shows exactly why I never wanted him.

He is still riding his laurels as a role player on the Lakers bubble chip and thinks it makes him top dog. 

I am genuinely happy he is so delusional that he nixed any trade the Mavs were trying to make for him. Seriously Kuz. Thank you. Enjoy DC!

I think he probably just didn't want to come here and be a role player.  He did us a favor by rejecting the trade.

He would be the third offensive option here and would be playing off-ball most of the time.  He'd be expected to work harder on defense here as well.

He'd rather be the primary offensive option on a terrible team.  He'd rather relax some on defense.  That's fine.  Glad we didn't trade for him and have him sulk in his new role.  

I don't really see this as an insult.  I think a lot of talented offensive players would rather not play next to Luka.  This worked out best for everyone.
[-] The following 4 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Saved from ourselves
Absolutely insane if we really were planning on giving up 2 first rounders for him
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 09:19 PM)Jym Wrote: Saved from ourselves
Absolutely insane if we really were planning on giving up 2 first rounders for him

In an alternate reality Mavs could have traded for Ayton at the draft then Kuzma at the TDL.

Lively, Omax, PJW & Gafford > Ayton & Kuzma

Sometimes it’s the moves you don’t make…
[-] The following 7 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, Radical Mavs, Scott41theMavs, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 09:27 PM)Smitty Wrote: In an alternate reality Mavs could have traded for Ayton at the draft then Kuzma at the TDL.

Absolutely pillowy both mentally and physically
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
I’m now ashamed that I tried to rationalize a Kuzma trade. The guy is talented but what a loser mentality. Kyle Luzmore, more like.
[-] The following 3 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 09:19 PM)Jym Wrote: Saved from ourselves

I have to question the sanity of the Wizards GM, if he turned that down.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Kuz probably wanted to be traded this off-season to a team he likes.
Probably doesn't think the Mavs are true contenders.

Maybe he is right, but that's just proves 3 things:
1. He doesn't believe adding himself can make the Mavs significantly better (he has a point if this is in his mind).
2. He doesn't want to be a Mav, and would always be looking for somewhere else to play.
3. Doesn't like his projected role.

I wouldn't like a guy like that on the Mavs.
[-] The following 4 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 05:22 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Kuz probably wanted to be traded this off-season to a team he likes.
Probably doesn't think the Mavs are true contenders.

Maybe he is right, but that's just proves 3 things:
1. He doesn't believe adding himself can make the Mavs significantly better (he has a point if this is in his mind).
2. He doesn't want to be a Mav, and would always be looking for somewhere else to play.
3. Doesn't like his projected role.

I wouldn't like a guy like that on the Mavs.

It's also possible he'd rather live primarily in DC than Dallas.

I think we all sometimes ignore the possibility that players may just want some life stability as well.  I personally would rather not have to suddenly move my entire life to another city for the same salary.  He might have a girlfriend and some close friends in DC and he doesn't have the same social circle in Dallas.  Maybe he really likes his current condo and has some restaurants he really loves nearby.

I actually respect the Washington GM for asking Kuzma his preference on the trade.  I like that he treated one of his better players with some humanity.
[-] The following 5 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, omahen, Winter
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 02:57 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I have to question the sanity of the Wizards GM, if he turned that down.

Kuzma has a no trade clause. I'm sure the GM would have happily shipped him.
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 08:56 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Kuzma has a no trade clause. I'm sure the GM would have happily shipped him.

The article said they could have traded him. The team just wasn't blown away by the offer so they asked Kuzma his preference.
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 08:56 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Kuzma has a no trade clause. I'm sure the GM would have happily shipped him.

I don't think he has one. I think Beal was the only one (appart from guys on one year min deals and players taking qualifying offer)
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 09:17 AM)omahen Wrote: I don't think he has one. I think Beal was the only one (appart from guys on one year min deals and players taking qualifying offer)

My bad guys. I looked into it more and I was wrong. I'm glad they didn't ship him to us. I don't want anyone that doesn't want to be here.
[-] The following 2 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • MFFL, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Pretty obvious you dont acquire Kuz unless he is willing to buy in.

Kuz is maximizing his lifestyle. Cant blame him too much. He's happy...and the happiness doesnt seem to come at others unhappiness.

He would rather cash checks and chuck the rock than cash checks and be a role player for Luka.
[-] The following 3 users Like youzigizag's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, RGP1981
Like Reply