Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
(02-09-2024, 11:10 AM)mvossman Wrote: Gordon was a good player on a crappy Orlando team, and then went to Denver and become really good.  Lets hope PJ follows a similar path.

The Joker makes everyone on their team good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 12:32 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: The Joker makes everyone on their team good.

As does Luka.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 12:33 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: As does Luka.

For sure.

https://theathletic.com/5263034/2024/02/...he-bounce/

The Athletics' TDL winners and losers
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 12:27 PM)michaeltex Wrote: One positive is that the team is home until the 24th. So two weeks of practice time without the travel (except for the ASG participants) including a multi-day break over next weekend should be a good opportunity to re-set, get a feel for how the new guys fit, get everyone healthy and ready to surprise some people going in to the playoffs.

This is astute. Great stuff.

(02-09-2024, 12:39 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: For sure.

https://theathletic.com/5263034/2024/02/...he-bounce/

The Athletics' TDL winners and losers

Can you hit the highlights without copy/pasting?
Like Reply
https://theathletic.com/5261692/2024/02/...ed_article
Like Reply
Just for fun....

Gafford played wide receiver on his high school football team.

He was also in the marching band.

And in basketball.... During the 2021 NBA playoffs, Daniel Gafford broke the all-time record for field goal percentage (minimum 15 shot attempts) with an astounding 84.6%
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 01:10 PM)Winter Wrote: Just for fun....

Gafford played wide receiver on his high school football team.

He was also in the marching band.

And in basketball.... During the 2021 NBA playoffs, Daniel Gafford broke the all-time record for field goal percentage (minimum 15 shot attempts) with an astounding 84.6%

What did he play in the marching band?
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 01:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: What did he play in the marching band?

It didn't say... and that kind pissed me off. Smile

Bassoon? Oboe? Maybe drums.

I actually watched him play a few televised ball games at Arkansas (all SE Conference defensive team), but I don't recall that much.
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 12:54 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is astute. Great stuff.

Can you hit the highlights without copy/pasting?

Winners:
Knicks- Bojan+Burks for Grimes was a steal in their eyes. OG trade still counts as a deadline deal. Can make the ECF
76ers- When Embiid gets back they got the perfect shooter in Hield for relatively nothing
Suns- Royce O'Neal for a bunch of 2nds solid get. Can also sign buyout players (although I think the author doesn't realize they can basically sign really bad players) 
Pistons- Grabbed Grimes, got Fontecchio, and ridded themselves of Hayes
Mavs- Gafford makes their center position much better. Undid the G-Will mistake. In big bold letters: this roster looks so much better
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 12:27 PM)michaeltex Wrote: A few thoughts after catching up on some excellent posts...

Gafford may be a season-saving acqusition. DL3 has been excellent and I'm excited by his potential, but he's been on an island and now has a partner to ease that burden without a fall off in team performance. Two-headed monster. I think getting rid of Porzingis helped him this year in Washington and I'm glad he was available.

Dinwiddie's role during his previous stint was always that of a secondary playmaker. He could make positive contributions playing with either Luka or Brunson because he was never the offensive focus. He's not a 3pt shooter like THJ, but he has a much better ability to get into the lane and finish well. Personally I hope he decides to come back. I thought the scene's from last nights game were interesting.

I dunno about PJ. I'm hopeful that playing with Luka will awaken his offensive game, it seems to help a lot of players that way and I don't see it not working offensively. I think his defense is the big unknown at this time, although he has the physical tools to make it work. If he at least tries, then the Mavs will be better for it. If he doesn't....well I'm trying to stay positive here.

One positive is that the team is home until the 24th. So two weeks of practice time without the travel (except for the ASG participants) including a multi-day break over next weekend should be a good opportunity to re-set, get a feel for how the new guys fit, get everyone healthy and ready to surprise some people going in to the playoffs.

Great post.  Finally a post that I completely agree with.  I nominate you for best Maverick trade deadline summary.  Please post more.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 01:41 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Great post.  Finally a post that I completely agree with.  I nominate you for best Maverick trade deadline summary.  Please post more.

I don't know if this will help, but out of all the fan and expert opinions I've read and heard, yours might be the only one claiming Washington won't be a good player. It seems unanimously believed that he'll be a significant upgrade over Williams. I respect your opinion, especially since it seems born of actual watching, but I felt the same negative way when Dinwiddie was brought in and he worked great for the year he was here.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 02:03 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't know if this will help, but out of all the fan and expert opinions I've read and heard, yours might be the only one claiming Washington won't be a good player. It seems unanimously believed that he'll be a significant upgrade over Williams. I respect your opinion, especially since it seems born of actual watching, but I felt the same negative way when Dinwiddie was brought in and he worked great for the year he was here.

I think he's been less bad than Grant Williams this season so I suppose that is an upgrade.  I don't think he was worth the price we paid.  That's my argument.

Theoretically, his superior handles and ability to drive to the basket will help us.  Unfortunately, his 3-point shooting is much worse than Grant's so that could be a problem.  

There's generally too much emphasis on change from the posters on this board.  There's always the expectation that just releasing or trading away a player will somehow make us better-  that's been true for a long time here.  We've seen it with Christian Wood, JaVale and Grant Williams among the players we've dumped recently.  Unfortunately, Mark Cuban seems to share that attitude.  The constant calls to trade THJ and Dwight Powell are part of that spirit on this board.  

The reality is that posters here are mostly just excited to acquire someone other than Grant Williams who was disappointing here.  I don't think most of them watch much PJ Washington so they're just happy to get a bigger body who has a few traits and skills than Grant does not.  

I hope PJ Washington turns it around here and the move works out.  I have been a Maverick fan since the 90s and I'd like to be wrong about PJ and have the Mavericks become a contender.  I don't need to be right on a message board to be happy.

I do look forward to seeing the rest of the season play out. If PJ disappoints, I can imagine many voices here begging to trade him.  That seems to happen a lot here.

I won't be able to post for the next 5 days or so and maybe my thoughts on PJ will evolve in the meantime.
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 11:19 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Im skeptical of using assets(FRP's) on a HOPE Player, though.

OKC sent out an asset (FRP) on the HOPE that the Mavs pick would be significantly better than their pick. It might not pan out, we could have a better record than them or the swap could wind up only being a 4 or 5 picks.

Its asset management. We sent out a player that didn't fit, a player that was shooting a career low from 3 and a FRP for a player that will hopefully fit AND two second round picks. 

Everyone who is beating on this trade keeps ignoring those second round picks.
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 02:19 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I think he's been less bad than Grant Williams this season so I suppose that is an upgrade.  I don't think he was worth the price we paid.  That's my argument.

Theoretically, his superior handles and ability to drive to the basket will help us.  Unfortunately, his 3-point shooting is much worse than Grant's so that could be a problem.  

There's generally too much emphasis on change from the posters on this board.  There's always the expectation that just releasing or trading away a player will somehow make us better-  that's been true for a long time here.  We've seen it with Christian Wood, JaVale and Grant Williams among the players we've dumped recently.  Unfortunately, Mark Cuban seems to share that attitude.  The constant calls to trade THJ and Dwight Powell are part of that spirit on this board.  

The reality is that posters here are mostly just excited to acquire someone other than Grant Williams who was disappointing here.  I don't think most of them watch much PJ Washington so they're just happy to get a bigger body who has a few traits and skills than Grant does not.  

I hope PJ Washington turns it around here and the move works out.  I have been a Maverick fan since the 90s and I'd like to be wrong about PJ and have the Mavericks become a contender.  I don't need to be right on a message board to be happy.

I do look forward to seeing the rest of the season play out. If PJ disappoints, I can imagine many voices here begging to trade him.  That seems to happen a lot here.

I feel like it's the consensus around here that we overpaid just a bit
Just glad we didn't throw in any of our young guys. I would have been much more annoyed if Hardy, Omax or Green were used
[-] The following 2 users Like Jym's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
How much pressure does the new team roster put on Kidd? Is his leash any shorter? Longer?

Does the new ownership affect his tenure here?

Is this the year where his PO results will determine his future in DAL?

At some point, isn't under performance a coaching issue?

Luka's (mostly) healthy. KI is back. IDK how long DL3 or Exum is out, maybe until after the ASG? Isn't it time for JKidd to show some leadership and not just say "well, I'm not on the court. it's not my fault we sucked toninght"?
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 02:37 PM)michaeltex Wrote: How much pressure does the new team roster put on Kidd? Is his leash any shorter? Longer?

Luka's (mostly) healthy. KI is back. IDK how long DL3 or Exum is out, maybe until after the ASG? Isn't it time for JKidd to show some leadership and not just say "well, I'm not on the court. it's not my fault we sucked toninght"?

Nepotism > Results/Performance

Kidd is in the perfect spot. Luka + Kyrie support him. Harrison/Kidd was a package deal. He has a long personal history/friendship with Cuban and Dirk. Only x-factor are the Adelsons.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 02:37 PM)michaeltex Wrote: How much pressure does the new team roster put on Kidd? Is his leash any shorter? Longer?

If this team stays healthy, Kidd is out of excuses imo. The team is deep, flexible and ready to compete.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/mave...-deadline/

Grant Williams seemed like an ass to other players, the annoying defender, but I wouldn't have thought it would carry on to the locker room. Dude needs to check himself. Got some playoff DNPs in BOS. BOS let him walk. Ass in DAL. Sucked ass in DAL. Now playing for one of the worst franchises in NBA history.

Beh-Bye!
[-] The following 6 users Like Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, MFFL, michaeltex, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
@AnthonyIrwinLA
Dinwiddie update…

Sources close to the Lakers say they’re still in hot pursuit and feel they have a very real chance at getting him. He’s still their top priority on the market.

Most league sources I’ve spoken to, however, believe he’s heading to Dallas.

Do with that what you will lol.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(02-09-2024, 03:11 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @AnthonyIrwinLA
Dinwiddie update…

Sources close to the Lakers say they’re still in hot pursuit and feel they have a very real chance at getting him. He’s still their top priority on the market.

Most league sources I’ve spoken to, however, believe he’s heading to Dallas.

Do with that what you will lol.

Dallas can pay him more. If they want him badly enough I'm sure they'll get him.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ACMFFL, BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, SleepingHero
Like Reply