Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: NOP Will Not Give Ingram an Extension
(02-08-2024, 09:02 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Trade Williams plus 2, 2nd-round picks for DFS?

Yes.  Let's make that trade instead of the PJ Williams deal.  

That would be so much better than trading the 2027 1st for PJ Washington.

I'd probably do both. If you can get the 2027 pick to be lets say top 10 protected. Then land DFS. Positional size greatly improves. You still retain Green, Hardy, Omax and have 2 1sts to trade this summer.

Holmes, Curry, 2027 1st (Top 10 protected) for PJ
Williams, 2 2nds for DFS

Luka
Kyrie
DFS
PJ
Lively
Green
Kleber
THJ
Exum
DJJ
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 08:55 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think I like the Williams based version better unless there is a second deal where he brings back a backup center.

Saw this on Discord.  Don't know the source.

[Image: image.png?ex=65d7570d&is=65c4e20d&hm=a63...9b273ed71&]
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:04 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Sounds horrendous

Trading a 1st round pick for PJ Washington is absurd

Not a fan but it's not really PJ for a 1st. They are taking back Holmes and Curry. Basically dead salary in 24/25.
[-] The following 5 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, Okstate819, RoyTarpleysGhost, Smitty
Like Reply
Gafford contract is not bad at all. If anything, it’s a bargain.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:21 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not a fan but it's not really PJ for a 1st. They are taking back Holmes and Curry. Basically dead salary in 24/25.

We can't keep attaching assets to get rid of our mistakes though. That's why this franchise is ran so poorly.
[-] The following 4 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • ACMFFL, From Dirk to Luka, omahen, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:21 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Saw this on Discord.  Don't know the source.

[Image: image.png?ex=65d7570d&is=65c4e20d&hm=a63...9b273ed71&]

HoopsHype, Scotto

NBA Trade Deadline Rumors: Latest intel on All 30 Teams (hoopshype.com)
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
This is a little off topic, but I've been following Washington for a little while now with the Kuzma rumors and I have to say that Jordan Poole may be one of the worst and most arrogant players in the league. He really thought this was his franchise at the start of the year and he sucks. He's now at 29.7% from 3 on the season. He's broken.
[-] The following 4 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, Okstate819, Smitty
Like Reply
Evan Sidery (@esidery)
Trade talks between the Hawks and Pelicans on Dejounte Murray could potentially escalate today into an agreement, per @wojespn (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/th...0644595104).

New Orleans is trying to acquire Murray and Onyeka Okongwu in the same deal.

Evan Sidery (@esidery)
The Raptors are “motivated” to allow Bruce Brown to go play for a more competitive team, per @wojespn (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/th...0644595104).

Toronto remains in talks with the Knicks and other contenders around Brown.

NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
The New York Knicks are reportedly willing to trade one of their 2024 first-round picks for Bruce Brown, per @michaelgrange

“The sticking point is that the Knicks are trying to get the deal done by using one of the two first-round picks they have for the upcoming draft — either their own pick, projected to be 23rd, or the Dallas Mavericks' pick, which would be 17th if the draft was tomorrow, and is top-12 protected.”
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Not a fan at all of paying 2027 for PJ. I don't think he moves the needle so much that no further serious upgrades will be needed. He would likely make Mavs better, but not enough. I am affraid of another GW story, where Mavs and the fanbase expect too much for what PJ can realistically offer.

Also to note - if Mavs put any protections on 2027 pick, it likely takes away the ability to trade one of the two SRP Mavs have to trade.
Like Reply
Dallas made an attempt to acquire Quentin Grimes, with discussions mainly focusing on Josh Green, per @MikeAScotto

However, this proposal was turned down by New York

(Via http://bit.ly/3Stlt4N)
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
PJ is at 32.4% from 3 now. They should give us a first to take him. Walk away Dallas. Walk away.
[-] The following 3 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, SleepingHero, SweetFidelia
Like Reply
The Utah Jazz are aiming to obtain at least one first-round pick in exchange for Kelly Olynyk, per @MikeAScotto

“Multiple NBA executives who've tried to
trade for Olynyk told HoopsHype the Jazz are seeking draft pick compensation, preferably at least a first-round pick, in trade talks.”

The Charlotte Hornets have requested a first-round pick in return for Gordon Hayward, per @IanBegley

“Charlotte is a team to keep an eye on in the buyout market. They had been asking at least one team for a first-round pick in exchange for Gordon Hayward. If they don’t get that, it’s possible that Hayward is bought out, same goes for Kyle Lowry.”

It is expected that the Phoenix Suns will be unsuccessful in their attempts to acquire Miles Bridges, per @TheSteinLine

“The Phoenix Suns have been known to be chasing Bridges harder than any team in the league. Yet the signals entering Deadline Day suggested that the Suns won’t be successful and that Bridges might well stay put in Charlotte to preserve his Bird Rights for the offseason.”
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:39 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
The New York Knicks are reportedly willing to trade one of their 2024 first-round picks for Bruce Brown, per @michaelgrange

“The sticking point is that the Knicks are trying to get the deal done by using one of the two first-round picks they have for the upcoming draft — either their own pick, projected to be 23rd, or the Dallas Mavericks' pick, which would be 17th if the draft was tomorrow, and is top-12 protected.”

Toronto already has 2 FRP in the coming draft which is considered weak. If they continue playing like trash they might also luck themselves to a top 6 in the lottery and also keep their pick. NY is unwilling to give up their own future draft pick. Can we get value for the 2027 here? It would be a pretty good TDL if Mavs could get away with Brown and PJ from it.
Like Reply
PJ is also shooting 25.85% on corner 3s this year. Where is the value?
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:44 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: PJ is also shooting 25.85% on corner 3s this year. Where is the value?

I suppose Nico thinks the Luka effect will help PJ.

He was at one point 37.5% from 3 for the first 3 years of his career.

Jake Fischer (@JakeLFischer)
Elsewhere atop the East, I’ve heard both New York and Philadelphia have had conversations with Detroit about acquiring both of Bojan Bogdanovic and Alec Burks. At this point, all signs point to the Knicks still being involved with the Pistons, after Sixers found no progress

Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN)
Miles Bridges has decided he won’t approve any trades and he will remain with the Charlotte Hornets the rest of the season, agent Rich Paul tells ESPN.

Bridges will be an unrestricted free agent this summer and the Hornets will retain his Bird Rights.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
Never has there been a deadline where I desperately hoped Mavs do nothing. There is not one rumor that remotely interests me at this point.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, From Dirk to Luka, omahen
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:44 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: PJ is also shooting 25.85% on corner 3s this year. Where is the value?

He’s a much better shooter than that shows. 

I’m not a fan of giving up the 27th pick for him, don’t get me wrong, but I stand by his potential as a player. If the mavs can get him in a favorable deal without overpaying, I believe we’ll like having him. It is the reported cost that has me scared.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:41 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
Dallas made an attempt to acquire Quentin Grimes, with discussions mainly focusing on Josh Green, per @MikeAScotto

Lateral move but Grimes has one advantage. One more year on a cheap contract. Are the Mavs trying to generate space under the first apron?
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:41 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)

This is kind of telling on a few fronts, if true.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:54 AM)mvossman Wrote: Never has there been a deadline where I desperately hoped Mavs do nothing.  There is not one rumor that remotely interests me at this point.

I actually don't mind the rumored Holmes+Curry+Draft compensation deal for PJ. That's cheap enough.

If CHA could just accept 2 2nds instead of 2027 FRP then we're cooking with gas. 

I like what omahen suggested to try and muck up NYK's plans and throw 2027 for Bruce Brown. He'd be fantastic here. Matching his contract would be a bit difficult though.

Maybe we can do a 3-way where:

DAL: Brown+PJ
TOR: 2027 FRP+Lowry 
CHA: Holmes+Curry+1 2nd 

If rumors are to be believed Charlotte is trying to get off of Lowry money. They'd save a lot here and still get some draft compensation for PJ.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • Okstate819, Smitty
Like Reply