Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Booker Likes NYK? Vogel Out? Suns Imploding?
(02-08-2024, 01:58 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: What if Dallas "had" to settle for Deni and Gafford? THJ, Holmes, Hardy plus the 27 1st and one of the 2nd rd picks.

Is that enough for Washington?

That would quite literally be a top 2 scenario for me. If we came out of the TDL with Deni and Gafford and only gave up THJ+Holmes+Hardy+27 I'd put us at top 4 in the west. 

Only issue is that we'd be really relying on Seth and Exum to provide bench scoring. To further this dream scenario a buyout Lowry or if at all possible Hayward would remedy it.

Luka/Curry
Kyrie/Green
Exum/Hayward/DJJ
Deni/GW/Maxi
Lively/Gafford/Powell

Would be a scary team to face in a 7 game series.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 01:58 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: What if Dallas "had" to settle for Deni and Gafford? THJ, Holmes, Hardy plus the 27 1st and one of the 2nd rd picks.

Go for it. But I'd hope the tips (Hardy, 1st, 2nd) can be whittled down a bit.
Like Reply
So who are the guys most likely to get waived if they're not traded by tomorrow?
Gordon Hayward could be useful
Like Reply

Is that enough for Washington?

I wouldn't call it "settling".

Deni's my top choice for a trade. Although he isn't a PF, his rebounding numbers are good. And he could defend wings and guards. Probably would be bullied by stronger guys -- but so will PJ. 

And the dude's a playmaker and an excellent ball handler. 

I'd take him with or without Gafford.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(02-07-2024, 11:41 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: FML I can keep going. Remember the Antwan Jamison and Antoine Walker season???????????????????????????????

YEESH

The trade before the trade. That deal set the table.
Like Reply
Woj saying Dallas talked to Wash yesterday about Kuzma and got nowhere. Expects Kuzma to remain in Wash. Dallas also talked to Cha about PJ. Says this is the one to watch today. Expects teams to talk again this morning. Negotiations ongoing regarding draft compensation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Okstate819's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(02-04-2024, 09:17 PM)Smitty Wrote: Green and Grant Williams is all they get. Heck, Green is probably too much but hopefully it’s part of another trade.

My favorite idea was a tweak of the 3-team trade Dalton Trigg just wrote about. 

He proposed:

Mavs: Kuzma, PJW, Gafford
Wizards: THJ, Holmes, Bridges, ‘27FRP (DAL)
Hornets: Green, GWill

To me Kuzma and PJW are redundant and I personally prefer Avdija who is a 6’9 SF (Wing) whom the Mavs have interest in and can replace Green.

Mavs: PJW, Richards, Avdija
Wizards: Holmes, Hardy, ‘27FRP (DAL)
Hornets: Green, GWill

This keeps the Mavs below the tax line and gives them a big defensive wing, starting PF, and backup Big on a great contract.

Luka - Exum - Curry
Irving - THJ
Avdija - DJJ - Omax
PJW - Maxi - Morris
Lively - Richards - Powell

THJ remains on the team and is a great expiring next year, while providing scoring from the second unit.

Bringing this back because it still seems possible. Maybe 2 SRP’s have to go to CHA, with these negotiations ongoing.

Best case scenario today, imo.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ClutchPoints/status/...7033315498

PJ Tucker anyone?

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1755573526759706856

Dejounte Murray to the Pels?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1755569694067642470

Mavs and Hornets in active discussions for PJ
Like Reply
Deni had spoken out against Kyrie after Kyrie tweeted a link to an anti semitic film. The words were pretty strong too.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 07:58 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Deni had spoken out against Kyrie after Kyrie tweeted a link to an anti semitic film.  The words were pretty strong too.

Ya I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

Slightly related, I'm glad we haven't heard any of Kyrie's opinions of the Adelson's in the press yet or vice versa.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:21 AM)Okstate819 Wrote: Woj saying Dallas talked to Wash yesterday about Kuzma and got nowhere. Expects Kuzma to remain in Wash. Dallas also talked to Cha about PJ. Says this is the one to watch today. Expects teams to talk again this morning. Negotiations ongoing regarding draft compensation.

Hopefully it comes down to "just" GWill and some version of the 2027 for PJ and they are negotiating protections and not additional young talent.  If someone asked this summer if we'd deal Reggie and a protected 2027 and a 2030 swap with SA for PJ on a declining contract, I suspect we would have done it.  

Unfortunately, that deal puts Dallas into the tax this season and adds $2.5mm of salary next season.  So, my guess is Dallas would like to push some salary to Charlotte.  That will cost something (a player or less protection on the 2027 pick).  Their team is essentially Ball, Miller, Williams, their 2024 high lottery pick and whatever they get for Bridges this summer.  If GWill is in the deal, he and Nick Smith and Richards are the beginnings of a bench.  Bouknight was a mistake at #11.  They declined his option and he's RFA (expiring) this summer.  I suspect they'd rather move off him and claim they got something for him.  What else does Dallas have to pay to add a Holmes Bouknight swap into the PJ/GWill deal.  The benefit to Dallas is substantial as they not only move back under the tax this season, but they create enough space for the full MLE this summer.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:21 AM)Okstate819 Wrote: Woj saying Dallas talked to Wash yesterday about Kuzma and got nowhere. Expects Kuzma to remain in Wash. Dallas also talked to Cha about PJ. Says this is the one to watch today. Expects teams to talk again this morning. Negotiations ongoing regarding draft compensation.

This has to be gesturing to come back to Kuzma.  I just can't for the life of me understand why you'd give up Green OR a first for PJ Washington.
[-] The following 3 users Like Moviemavguy's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, omahen
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 08:25 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Hopefully it comes down to "just" GWill and some version of the 2027 for PJ and they are negotiating protections and not additional young talent.  If someone asked this summer if we'd deal Reggie and a protected 2027 and a 2030 swap with SA for PJ on a declining contract, I suspect we would have done it.  

Unfortunately, that deal puts Dallas into the tax this season and adds $2.5mm of salary next season.  So, my guess is Dallas would like to push some salary to Charlotte.  That will cost something (a player or less protection on the 2027 pick).  Their team is essentially Ball, Miller, Williams, their 2024 high lottery pick and whatever they get for Bridges this summer.  If GWill is in the deal, he and Nick Smith and Richards are the beginnings of a bench.  Bouknight was a mistake at #11.  They declined his option and he's RFA (expiring) this summer.  I suspect they'd rather move off him and claim they got something for him.  What else does Dallas have to pay to add a Holmes Bouknight swap into the PJ/GWill deal.  The benefit to Dallas is substantial as they not only move back under the tax this season, but they create enough space for the full MLE this summer.

Trading our 2027 1st to upgrade Grant Williams to PJ Washington is a losing move.  

We'd be so much wiser to just wait until the offseason and trade more draft capital for an actual good player like Jerami Grant.
[-] The following 3 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, omahen
Like Reply

Mavs have finally learned to play the game and negotiate through the media.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
https://x.com/all_things_mavs/status/175...43441?s=46

Deal being discussed sounds like Holmes, Curry, 2027 1st for PJ. Charlotte wants unprotected, Dal wants protections on pick
[-] The following 1 user Likes Okstate819's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 08:51 AM)Okstate819 Wrote: https://x.com/all_things_mavs/status/175...43441?s=46

Deal being discussed sounds like Holmes, Curry, 2027 1st for PJ. Charlotte wants unprotected, Dal wants protections on pick

I think I like the Williams based version better unless there is a second deal where he brings back a backup center.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 08:55 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think I like the Williams based version better unless there is a second deal where he brings back a backup center.

Yea I still think they would trade Williams. DFS with 2 2nds? Gafford with 2 2nds?
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 08:59 AM)Okstate819 Wrote: Yea I still think they would trade Williams. DFS with 2 2nds? Gafford with 2 2nds?

Trade Williams plus 2, 2nd-round picks for DFS?

Yes.  Let's make that trade instead of the PJ Williams deal.  

That would be so much better than trading the 2027 1st for PJ Washington.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 08:51 AM)Okstate819 Wrote: https://x.com/all_things_mavs/status/175...43441?s=46

Sounds horrendous

Trading a 1st round pick for PJ Washington is absurd
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply