Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: NOP Will Not Give Ingram an Extension
Ky, Exum, Toppin, Green minutes would be fire.
Like Reply
(02-07-2024, 10:26 AM)Smitty Wrote: Green may not do much for them but he’s an asset. Gwill is not. A pick swap probably doesn’t move the needle if we’re talking about the difference between Green and Gwill.

I wasn't putting Green or GWill in my version (which probably wasn't clear).  THJ/OMax/2027 and a swap is enough salary.  Yeah, we go into the tax, but are we getting anything better this summer?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(02-07-2024, 10:19 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Talking about patterns. Trading for players on expiring contracts that are up for a big payday is something the Mavs like to do.

There is another PF that wasn't mentioned at all - Harris. Windhorst says he thinks Philly will make 1 to 3 deals this TDL. I think Mavs have nothing Philly would be interested but could Mavs provide some of the assets needed for whatever Philly is targeting and get Harris in return? He is expiring waiting for a new deal, but will likely not be as big as the last one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(02-07-2024, 10:34 AM)mvossman Wrote: I'm guessing most folks would have said the same thing about GWill in the offseason.  If we spend assets for PJ, I hope he does not become another GWill.  The hope would be that being on a good team masked GWill defensive deficiencies, while being an a bad team masked PJ defensive strengths.

…especially if Williams was still here. That would be doubly disastrous.
Like Reply
(02-07-2024, 10:44 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I wasn't putting Green or GWill in my version (which probably wasn't clear).  THJ/OMax/2027 and a swap is enough salary.  Yeah, we go into the tax, but are we getting anything better this summer?

Oh ok. That makes more sense from Portlands perspective. I thought we were working off of omahen’s deal. 

To be honest I haven’t put any thought into Grant because I assumed he wasn’t gettable. That’s a lot to give up, rightfully so. I can see both teams doing it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
Well, Coop and Skin are already doing what it looks like damage control. This time I agree with them and I am fine if Mavs don't make a trade. But no excuses in summer unless the plan is to trade Kyrie than.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft, Okstate819
Like Reply
Of all the options we’ve talked about, Jeremi Grant is the one for whom I’d be most willing to give up real assets.

I know he’s not available now, but that is the level of player I think they should be targeting. You either hope he comes available right at the last minute tomorrow or keep your powder dry for the next time a guy like that is available, in my humble opinion.

Alternatively, I would love a deal for somebody like PJ Washington, but not at the cost of anything too dear to me.
[-] The following 6 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, donzingis38, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, omahen, Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply
Just spitting out ideas. Would you consider GWill and THJ for Isaac and Ingles. Perhaps some minor draft consideration from Orlando.

Orlando gets shooting they need. Most likely a package of better players but kills their summer cap space plans.

Isaac is one of the best defenders in the league, but he is injured all the time. Ingles is mostly done, but can be calming presence on deep bench. Can shoot, can facilitate, smart defender. Both contracts give the Mavs max flexibility in the summer, as Ingles has a team option and Isaac is not guaranteed. If Mavs are lucky, I could see them playing better with this deal. If not, they still have everything and even better contracts to trade in the summer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
My favorite is still Deni, but Grant is a close second. Comes down to cost to acquire.

Edit: I was replying to KL.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Really looking forward how this remaining (a bit over a) day plays out. As always since play-in was implemented there are far more buyers than sellers. Looks like stars are not available. It doesn't seem likely some buyers get so desperate to trade big assets on average or decent but not great players. Two options I see:
1. We will mostly see swapping of role players
2. Some complicated 3 or more team deals get constructed to move a bit bigger pieces or split values of assets (like Mavs 2027 pick or Green).
Like Reply
Seems like Stein is saying in his chat the cost for PJ would not only be Green but also the first.
Like Reply
(02-07-2024, 11:35 AM)omahen Wrote: Seems like Stein is saying in his chat the cost for PJ would not only be Green but also the first.

Hard pass.
[-] The following 6 users Like Tyler's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, SweetFidelia
Like Reply
(02-07-2024, 11:35 AM)omahen Wrote: Seems like Stein is saying in his chat the cost for PJ would not only be Green but also the first.

No way. Move on.
[-] The following 3 users Like Okstate819's post:
  • BigDirk41, MFFL, SweetFidelia
Like Reply
If these are the prices sellers expect, than I don't see much happening
[-] The following 5 users Like omahen's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MFFL, Okstate819
Like Reply

And for those reasons, I’m out.
[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, MFFL, SweetFidelia
Like Reply
Im Luka-Effect believer...

But Im out on PJ Washington for Green and/or FRP.

I dont care about value either if we get him for Grant Williams in a straight swap.

Too many posts claiming he is average player...cant rebound...doesnt display good defense often enough.

Im just out on these types of acquisitions. Our roster is riddled with this type of player.

Pass.

Rather over pay for a guy that has real skill and you notice him when you watch his team play. Even if he is considered a non-winning player...I want guys with skills.
[-] The following 2 users Like youzigizag's post:
  • omahen, SweetFidelia
Like Reply

Sellers are waiting until the last possible moment to make a deal, hoping for that one desperate buyer who will overpay.
Like Reply
(02-07-2024, 12:11 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Sellers are waiting until the last possible moment to make a deal, hoping for that one desperate buyer who will overpay.

Problem with this logic is that the Mavs likely won't give up either for Washington.  

They certainly can ask for whatever they want, and PJ won't be traded.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moviemavguy's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3946...ly-clothes

Interesting read on how NBA players adjust to being traded..
Like Reply
(02-07-2024, 12:24 PM)Moviemavguy Wrote: Problem with this logic is that the Mavs likely won't give up either for Washington.  

They certainly can ask for whatever they want, and PJ won't be traded.

In most negotiations, the most desperate party is willing to flex most on price.

Also in most negotiations, each party wishes to conceal their level of desperation.

How desperate is Dallas to acquire PJ?

How desperate is Charlotte to dispose of PJ?

Things that we outsiders can only speculate about.
Like Reply