Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: NOP Will Not Give Ingram an Extension
(02-06-2024, 05:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: For sure, but this isn't an argument for "bite the bullet and do whatever you can" imo, it's an argument for "hoard stuff until you can afford something good."

Absolutely, but unfortunately Mark Cuban is still in charge of basketball decisions. A trade will happen. We just have to hope it's good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 05:16 PM)Smitty Wrote: Hornets wants Green for PJ

Wizards want Omax and ‘27 FRP for Kuz

Those are your only options. Which one are you doing?

Neither.  I’m digging in the Buy-out Bin baby!!!!!!
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 1 user Likes OBX Maverick's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
All I gotta say is if we're trading any of Green, Omax, or the 2027 1st and all we're getting back is PJ Washington and/or Kyle Kuzma... I'm going to be sick.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, loki, MFFL
Like Reply
From Fisher:

The Bucks’ valuation of Portis, not just for his shooting ability and veteran know-how but also his championship history with the franchise, is also the reason it would take far more than Grant Williams, sources said, for Milwaukee to send Portis to Dallas.

The Mavericks are known to be including either Williams or Tim Hardaway Jr. as the larger-salary player with which Dallas is exploring several frontcourt options with shooting ability, plus some defensive chops, sources said. And the Mavs are willing to spend their 2027 first-round pick for the right option.

It seems unlikely, at this juncture, that Dallas — or Sacramento, for that matter — will be able to find a deal that satisfies Washington’s asking price of multiple first-round picks for Kyle Kuzma. Dallas could search for avenues to manufacture another first-round selection from another team, but the Wizards appear quite comfortable moving forward with Kuzma on their roster, signed to three more seasons after this. Washington has made it known across the NBA landscape, sources said, it is prioritizing draft capital and are wishful to facilitate three-team deals if such concepts would bring more future picks to the nation’s capital.

Another premium option for the Mavericks, Jerami Grant, also still appears off the trade block. Portland continues to indicate the Blazers are more interested in keeping Grant and guard Malcolm Brodgon, sources said, than moving either veteran for a package that doesn’t blow Portland away. Where else can Dallas look? PJ Washington remains a possibility. Pistons big man Isaiah Stewart is another known target for the Mavericks, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Dallas was one of the teams to show interest in Orlando’s Wendell Carter as well, sources said, although the Magic aren’t looking to move him either.

https://sports.yahoo.com/andrew-wiggins-...16934.html
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 06:14 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: All I gotta say is if we're trading any of Green, Omax, or the 2027 1st and all we're getting back is PJ Washington and/or Kyle Kuzma... I'm going to be sick.

Could all of that with THJ and Hardy land us Jerami Grant? Throw in whatever 2nd round picks we have too.
Like Reply

Can I take the physical challenge instead?

Agree with others that Green for PJ just creates a new problem, so I'm not keen on that.  I don't love Josh Green, but I think he has another level to hit.  PJ is pretty much what he'll always be, which is nice and usable, but that swap doesn't change the equation much if at all. I'm at salary swap, a la Holmes, or that's a pass for me.....CHA doesn't want PJ anyway.  He's not starting.  No one really wanted him last summer at his asking price, so he finally had to settle.

I want Kuzma.  I really do.  Hoping Kyrie is available and THJ is on a heater is not a strategy, but Omax and '27--essentially 2 #1 picks is too rich for my blood.

This is my 40th post in roughly 40 months on the board.  Interesting.
[-] The following 4 users Like SweetFidelia's post:
  • BigDirk41, MFFL, Smitty, youzigizag
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 06:20 PM)omahen Wrote: From Fisher:

The Bucks’ valuation of Portis, not just for his shooting ability and veteran know-how but also his championship history with the franchise, is also the reason it would take far more than Grant Williams, sources said, for Milwaukee to send Portis to Dallas.

The Mavericks are known to be including either Williams or Tim Hardaway Jr. as the larger-salary player with which Dallas is exploring several frontcourt options with shooting ability, plus some defensive chops, sources said. And the Mavs are willing to spend their 2027 first-round pick for the right option.

It seems unlikely, at this juncture, that Dallas — or Sacramento, for that matter — will be able to find a deal that satisfies Washington’s asking price of multiple first-round picks for Kyle Kuzma. Dallas could search for avenues to manufacture another first-round selection from another team, but the Wizards appear quite comfortable moving forward with Kuzma on their roster, signed to three more seasons after this. Washington has made it known across the NBA landscape, sources said, it is prioritizing draft capital and are wishful to facilitate three-team deals if such concepts would bring more future picks to the nation’s capital.

Another premium option for the Mavericks, Jerami Grant, also still appears off the trade block. Portland continues to indicate the Blazers are more interested in keeping Grant and guard Malcolm Brodgon, sources said, than moving either veteran for a package that doesn’t blow Portland away. Where else can Dallas look? PJ Washington remains a possibility. Pistons big man Isaiah Stewart is another known target for the Mavericks, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Dallas was one of the teams to show interest in Orlando’s Wendell Carter as well, sources said, although the Magic aren’t looking to move him either.

https://sports.yahoo.com/andrew-wiggins-...16934.html

Fisher is weird.  I just finished the podcast with him and Cato (where I assumed they had to pause their conversation about their favorite parts of Infinite Jest while listening to Neutral Milk Hotel on vinyl and drinking shitty IPAs they made in their own garage) where he said the Mavs were very reluctant to shop the 27 pick.  They both said they'd heard a lot of Grant Williams being shopped (Fisher even eluded to him being a locker room problem which Cato refuted a bit) and that neither of them have seen the Mavs being willing to entertain the idea of offering Josh Green in any package.
[-] The following 4 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, vfromlmf
Like Reply

No to both but the second idea is a hell no.  The first is a probably going to backfire but I’ll give it a chance.
Like Reply
I don’t think we are at the point where a desperation trade is necessary. Powell and Maxi look reinvigorated. Green is making a mini-leap. Exum and Lively will presumably be back soon. Grant Williams has been sorta ok. Even Hardy has shown signs of life. No need to overpay for what probably isn’t the “missing piece” anyway.
[-] The following 4 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • KillerLeft, MFFL, omahen, rocky164
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 06:53 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: I don’t think we are at the point where a desperation trade is necessary. Powell and Maxi look reinvigorated. Green is making a mini-leap. Exum and Lively will presumably be back soon. Grant Williams has been sorta ok. Even Hardy has shown signs of life. No need to overpay for what probably isn’t the “missing piece” anyway.

Speak sense to ‘em, friend!

[Image: When-Billy-Zane-Hand-Giving-Great-Advice.gif]

[Image: anigif_sub-buzz-22697-1553129889-1_preview.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 06:36 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Fisher is weird.  I just finished the podcast with him and Cato (where I assumed they had to pause their conversation about their favorite parts of Infinite Jest while listening to Neutral Milk Hotel on vinyl and drinking shitty IPAs they made in their own garage) where he said the Mavs were very reluctant to shop the 27 pick.  They both said they'd heard a lot of Grant Williams being shopped (Fisher even eluded to him being a locker room problem which Cato refuted a bit) and that neither of them have seen the Mavs being willing to entertain the idea of offering Josh Green in any package.

The fact that they are really actively looking to move Grant Williams so soon after acquiring him may mean that he's just not a net positive on the court or in the lockeroom - and they don't expect that to change. 

I remember one Luca interview when someone asked him if Grant was vocal enough, and Luca said something to the effect, "Yeah sometimes too much." We'll probably never know, but I think it's clear his time in Dallas will likely be short.
[-] The following 3 users Like Winter's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 06:03 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: PJ breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avguU0SCNQg

When you watch the defensive clips it kind of speaks to what I've been saying that we shouldn't take any defensive metrics to heart when you're playing for a team as bad as the hornets.
[-] The following 2 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • Jakeospikez, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 07:11 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: When you watch the defensive clips it kind of speaks to what I've been saying that we shouldn't take any defensive metrics to heart when you're playing for a team as bad as the hornets.

Agree. PJ seems like a solid team defender but he's no stopper, and he's more offensively skilled than GWill, but he's not a 3rd option. He has length but he's still 6' 7" and not super physical. 

He's a GWill upgrade, and I'd trade GWill to get him, but not at the cost of a 1st, and I wouldn't include Josh Green, even if the players have similar value. 

I'd do GWill + Hardy + sweeteners like cash or seconds, but that's all.
[-] The following 3 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Smitty, The Jom
Like Reply
Is the salary cap going up and Kuzma salary descending not a plus? And he is cost controlled for 3 years after this one. Isnt that a plus?

Also...ASSUMING DUE DILIGENCE IS DONE...EXHAUSTIVELY...does anyone see OMax ever having the skill and body control Kuzma has? And Kuzma is 6'8-6'10 and OMax is 6'7-6'8? I dont think I do.

I have been in the HOLD OMax category...but looking at that Kuzma contract and wondering if OMax will ever be as fluid a player as Kuzma along with size. Maybe Kuzma is a sandbagger and Omax effort is worth more than Kuzma size and fluidness and skill.

Not suggesting a FRP and OMax...Im just curious is swapping a very raw big with a bigger proven vet is reckless/wreckless? Without a FRP of course. Just if OMax is included.
Like Reply
A lot has changed in the past few weeks:

Dwight Powell is playing really well.
Josh Green is playing really well.
Maxi is playing.

With this progress, I now predict the Mavericks won't make a trade.  

I'd be Ok with that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 08:36 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: A lot has changed in the past few weeks:

Dwight Powell is playing really well.
Josh Green is playing really well.
Maxi is playing.

With this progress, I now predict the Mavericks won't make a trade.  

I'd be Ok with that.

Two extremely flawed players and one POSSIBLY whos made a leap.

Mavs need to acquire better player.  Fact.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Mavs will definitely make a trade imo. I'm 99% sure of it.
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 08:47 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Mavs will definitely make a trade imo. I'm 99% sure of it.

Well, they cannot trade O-Max. I forbid it.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
How bout PJ and Kyle Lowry for the unwanted 4 (Morris, Holmes, Hardaway, Williams). I’d pay an unprotected first for that.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 07:11 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: When you watch the defensive clips it kind of speaks to what I've been saying that we shouldn't take any defensive metrics to heart when you're playing for a team as bad as the hornets.

Box score plus minus metrics being the end all be all that lots of fans care about is getting tiresome. Need to watch players play. Lamelo has been out most of the year and maybe he's disgruntled that he's stuck there because he was a RFA and wants out and all anyone can do is point to plus minus. GWill had good metrics in Boston Im sure, yet he is clearly not a fit here as a starting 4. Random 4s/5s shoot over him in the paint like he doesn't even exist. PJ has plenty of skill, proper size/length, actually blocks shots, and will likely be much better here. Him being a bad defender in Cha doesn't instantly correlate that he'll suck here. Mavs do their double and swarm scheme and he may be the right guy to play 4 for that scheme cause he is decently quick for a big wing. I'd be fine with PJ. Would prefer someone with a shorter contract like PJs if the Mavs believe in OMax cause they'll expire out sooner and can potentially be used in a trade in a couple of years if OMax is ready to take over. Collins is way more expensive but has only 2 more years and a big expiring. Beef stew would prob be fine also. Whatever the best deal is any of these guys would be ok as starting 4s/small ball 5s.

Getting proper value for the 2027 1st might need to be a combination of players plus shedding bad contracts. I think the move is to just trade the 2027 1st really. If Luka leaves they should get a ton of assets back to recover and if he stays you need to start being good now while he's peaking and ready for title contention. Really depends on if they have some plan for this offseason I guess. THJ/Holmes can be valuable salary matching this offseason, or maybe some tanking team wants expirings going into next season rather than expiring this season so they have value this tdl.

(02-06-2024, 07:26 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Is the salary cap going up and Kuzma salary descending not a plus?  And he is cost controlled for 3 years after this one.  Isnt that a plus?
Also...ASSUMING DUE DILIGENCE IS DONE...EXHAUSTIVELY...does anyone see OMax ever having the skill and body control Kuzma has?  And Kuzma is 6'8-6'10 and OMax is 6'7-6'8?  I dont think I do.
I have been in the HOLD OMax category...but looking at that Kuzma contract and wondering if OMax will ever be as fluid a player as Kuzma along with size.  Maybe Kuzma is a sandbagger and Omax effort is worth more than Kuzma size and fluidness and skill.
Not suggesting a FRP and OMax...Im just curious is swapping a very raw big with a bigger proven vet is reckless/wreckless?  Without a FRP of course.  Just if OMax is included.

Kuzma does have skill but what has this skill lead to with Kuzma? He thinks he's the shit and he chucks trying to jack his numbers up so that he can get a bigger next contract. OMax already looks like a better defender than him. His feet are way quicker and he hustles his ass off on defense plus his arms are longer. Look at OMax's fluidness on defense. He buys into the defensive stopper role as his main skill. Kuzma will be the guy to not care about spending lots of energy on defense and just want to get his numbers up.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jakeospikez's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, The Jom
Like Reply