Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: NOP Will Not Give Ingram an Extension
(02-06-2024, 04:38 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: I don’t think Josh Green is on the table for PJ. I think 2027 with the right protections and salary dump on our end or other sweeteners is.

Ugh. That's even more yuck.
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 04:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Ugh. That's even more yuck.

Just my opinion. And I’m on team PJ with you. I really like his fit here and have coveted his versatility at the 4/5 for awhile. I just think trading Green for PJ you plug one hole by opening another. And Josh finally seems to be putting it together.

Lively, PJ, Maxi, Powell, Omax is a really nice 4/5 rotation for the next couple years. Would just need another big body this summer at 5 for games against throwback bigs and to save wear and tear.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 04:41 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote:  just think trading Green for PJ you plug one hole by opening another. And Josh finally seems to be putting it together.

Lively, PJ, Maxi, Powell, Omax is a really nice 4/5 rotation for the next couple years. Would just need another big body this summer at 5 for games against throwback bigs and to save wear and tear.

Agree with all of this, it's just that I think that '27 pick (and the one they moved for Kyrie, too) are very, very valuable picks.
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 04:38 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: I don’t think Josh Green is on the table for PJ. I think 2027 with the right protections and salary dump on our end or other sweeteners is.

If we can't get PJ with some combination of Timmy, GWill, Hardy and seconds then I say we pass.  Heavy protections on that pick reduces its value and keeps us from using it in other deals.  I feel like when you have limited assets heavily protecting a pick that wont resolve for years is hamstringing yourself.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Jym
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 04:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Agree with all of this, it's just that I think that '27 pick (and the one they moved for Kyrie, too) are very, very valuable picks.

If it were like a lottery protected that converts to two seconds sort of situation would you feel better?  I just think it's going to cost that to do anything if we're trying to keep Josh.
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 04:55 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: If it were like a lottery protected that converts to two seconds sort of situation would you feel better?  

Yes, but that makes it not valuable enough.
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 04:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Agree with all of this, it's just that I think that '27 pick (and the one they moved for Kyrie, too) are very, very valuable picks.

Oh, absolutely! I also wonder…let’s say they swing the trade for PJ (or Kuzma.) what then becomes our “finishing move” for the roster? I think adding Siakam or OG might’ve put us in the contender field. Not sure PJ or Kuz does.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 04:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: We all would. That's the point. If they're asking for Green, do you do it or not?

If a young player with upside is coming back I’d probably do it. I like Green but it’s not like he has exceeded expectations so far this season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesConway912's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKidd
Like Reply
I really don't think a trade is going to be made. Giving up Green for Washington is too much of a lateral move that the FO tends to not make.

If we do make a move, then it'll be something smaller.
Like Reply
Hornets wants Green for PJ

Wizards want Omax and ‘27 FRP for Kuz

Those are your only options. Which one are you doing?
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 05:16 PM)Smitty Wrote: Hornets wants Green for PJ

Probably nothing, but I could be talked into the Washington deal. 

O-Max and '27 is the hardest of 'no's' from me.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, WillE
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 05:16 PM)Smitty Wrote: Hornets wants Green for PJ

Porque no los dos?

Go BIG(literally and figuratively) or go home.
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 05:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: O-Max and '27 is the hardest of 'no's' from me.

Yeah that would have me completely checking out for a while
Would be inexcusably stupid
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
I think people around here are going to be upset when we see the true cost of acquiring other players. We overvalue our own players and tear everyone else's players down. Be prepared to be shocked.
[-] The following 3 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, omahen, RGP1981
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 05:40 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I think people around here are going to be upset when we see the true cost of acquiring other players. We overvalue our own players and tear everyone else's players down. Be prepared to be shocked.

For sure, but this isn't an argument for "bite the bullet and do whatever you can" imo, it's an argument for "hoard stuff until you can afford something good."
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, MFFL, mvossman
Like Reply
Thing is that we don't really have a roster talent problem as much as an injury/coaching problem. We could use a rebounder, but outside of that, I don't see any gaping holes on the roster that need to be filled.

Just need Grant Williams to start being more consistent, but nothing about his game screams get him out of here to me. I'd trade him straight up for Bobby Portis, obviously, but that deal isn't on the table.
[-] The following 2 users Like Moviemavguy's post:
  • KillerLeft, rocky164
Like Reply
To me any Hornets deal should involve heavy cap relief.

I am starting to come around on the idea to give up the 2027 instead of Green. Maybe there is a (healthy) contender in these moves:

Lowry for Holmes/Williams

Washington/Goga to Dallas
THJ to Orlando
Harris + Mavs 2027 to Charlotte

Doncic/Exum/Lowry
Irving/Hardy/Curry
Green/DJJ/Lawson
Washington/Kleber/OMax
Lively/Goga/Powell
Like Reply
(02-06-2024, 05:43 PM)Moviemavguy Wrote: Thing is that we don't really have a roster talent problem as much as an injury/coaching problem.  We could use a rebounder, but outside of that, I don't see any gaping holes on the roster that need to be filled. 

Just need Grant Williams to start being more consistent, but nothing about his game screams get him out of here to me.  I'd trade him straight up for Bobby Portis, obviously, but that deal isn't on the table.

Both his offensive game and defensive versatility are limited. I don’t see that changing. It’s was the only real mistake of the offseason. I don’t want to spend real assets on a replacement that could easily disappoint as well. That probably means waiting
Like Reply
PJ breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avguU0SCNQg
Like Reply
I am really looking forward to see what the deal will look like if it happens. I would be hesitant to trade Green, as it just opens another hole and all indications are, that Mavs don't see THJ as a long term fit. Unprotected 2027 feels way too much for PJ, especially since it is just a deal to erase the GW mistake and the player coming to Mavs is far from a sure thing. I would be really surprised if Charlotte trades PJ for any combination of other Mavs contracts and assets.

Can we get assets for someone else? Was the Grimes attempt perhaps to get a similar "Green" to send to Charlotte? Could Mavs get something for THJ from a third team that would satisfy Charlotte?

Can we split the value of 2027 first with a third team? How much is that pick worth. Toronto received 2 picks in this draft that will likely end up in the twenties. Thinking again about Milwaukee interest in Brown and Mavs interest in Portis.

Deal 1:
Tor: GWill, Connaughton, 2027
Mil: Brown
Dal: Portis, one (both?) 2024 picks Tor got from Indy

Deal 2:
Cha: Holmes, 2024 pick from Toronto deal, minor assets if needed
Dal: PJ
Like Reply