Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
(02-02-2024, 05:42 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I would love DFs back.  He would fill my want of 3-4 worker bees who do the small things to let your stars be stars.

I just don’t see a fit.  I wouldn’t offer a first.  I wouldn’t offer Green or Omax .  I don’t think Williams is traded.  He has not been good but how about we coach him up and put him in better spots.  Most of the blame goes to Grant but let’s build him up a bit.  Eventually I think he will be moved but not now.

I dont think the nets would want Hardaway and I am not sure losing Hardaway offense with no third option works for this year.

To be perfectly honest, I would be up for trading GWill for Dorian and adding in a couple of seconds if necessary.  Dorian is both the better fit and the better player, but they get the younger player that they might be able to turn into something.  That might be giving up too early, but I am ready to cut losses and am a huge Doe fan.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-02-2024, 05:50 PM)mvossman Wrote: To be perfectly honest, I would be up for trading GWill for Dorian and adding in a couple of seconds if necessary.  Dorian is both the better fit and the better player, but they get the younger player that they might be able to turn into something.  That might be giving up too early, but I am ready to cut losses and am a huge Doe fan.

I would also trade Grant and a second rounder for DFS. Not that he’s significantly better but he does what this team needs Grant to do and is an amazing human, glue guy and teammate.

Also 2 years 30M vs 3 years 41M.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
I’m ok with either Kuzma or PJ Washington and I’m ok with including the 2027 first in a Kuzma trade. ButI would not trade Omax. He may end up being a bust but his potential is just too great to throw into a meh trade. Omax’s size and raw skills rarely fall into your lap and it really costs us nothing to try and develop him. We can’t be sure how much an impact Chandler had coaching Lively but could the same type arrangement be made to have Marion coaching Omax?
[-] The following 1 user Likes rocky164's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-02-2024, 05:42 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I would love DFs back.  He would fill my want of 3-4 worker bees who do the small things to let your stars be stars.

I just don’t see a fit.  I wouldn’t offer a first.  I wouldn’t offer Green or Omax .  I don’t think Williams is traded.  He has not been good but how about we coach him up and put him in better spots.  Most of the blame goes to Grant but let’s build him up a bit.  Eventually I think he will be moved but not now.

I dont think the nets would want Hardaway and I am not sure losing Hardaway offense with no third option works for this year.

What if Williams IS traded? I wouldn’t be shocked at all.
Like Reply
(02-02-2024, 06:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: What if Williams IS traded? I wouldn’t be shocked at all.

It's interesting. In a more typical year, I don't think GW is traded. It feels too knee-jerk to trade him this quickly. But I'm not sure this is a typical year. There may be more pressure to get Luca some help. You add new owners, coupled with a mediocre roster, and I could see him being moved.
Like Reply
For me, the worst possible outcome is trading a FRP and Omax for Kuzma. With all the smoke, I fully expect that to be the move.. So, at this point anything other than that happening - I will be ecstatic.
[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(02-02-2024, 06:30 PM)Smitty Wrote: I would also trade Grant and a second rounder for DFS. Not that he’s significantly better but he does what this team needs Grant to do and is an amazing human, glue guy and teammate.

Also 2 years 30M vs 3 years 41M.

Look at it this way - what are the two biggest reasons *not* to trade GW, that is to say the only ones that call it into any question? 1) He's a great locker room presence and Luka's buddy. 2) We just signed him as a free agent and it's a bad look. 

DoeDoe is one of Luka's *best* buddies, and with his comfortability with the Mavs locker room, likely as good of a presence (if not providing as much leadership) as Grant. Moreover, given how known it is that Luka wants DoeDoe back, and how clear the fit is, is anyone other than Grant himself going to question the optics of trading GW for DFS?
Like Reply
Replacing GW with DFS and adding Kuzma really would vault us into contention.

GW and 2 2nds for DFS
Holmes, Green, Seth, 2027 1st for Kuzma

Luka
Kyrie
DFS
Kuzma
Lively

THJ
Exum
Kleber
DJJ
Hardy
Omax
Powell
[-] The following 1 user Likes Okstate819's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
Combing the two biggest rumors…

Mavs - Kuzma, Gafford, DFS
Wiz - THJ, Holmes, Omax, ‘27 FRP
Nets - G. Williams, 2 SRP’s

Luka - Exum - Curry
Irving - Hardy
DFS - Green
Kuzma - DJJ - Maxi - Morris
Lively - Gafford - Powell

Would you be happy with this outcome?
[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, Okstate819, RGP1981
Like Reply
(02-02-2024, 07:46 PM)Smitty Wrote: Combing the two biggest rumors…

Wiz - THJ, Holmes, Omax, ‘27 FRP
Where'd you get that Omax is who the Wizards want?
Like Reply
(02-02-2024, 07:50 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Where'd you get that Omax is who the Wizards want?

There was an article that mentioned it. I’ve read too many to know exactly which one. Also, based on the wizards roster it’s easy to come to the conclusion that Omax would be the most desirable of the three young guys (Omax, Hardy, Green)
Like Reply
(02-02-2024, 02:12 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Putting Omax in a deal for Kuzna is insane. Look at these guys mediocre true shooting percentages. He’s inefficient. Now, maybe if you get Gafford too but not for just Kuz.

I agree with you that these proposed offers are way overvaluing him. 

FWIW, BR's player evaluation metrics say this re Kuzma
1 VORP? 0.2  (0 is a rando off the street, he is ranked 193rd in the NBA)
2 Win Shares? Below 0 (iow, he makes a team worse when he plays)
3 +/- ? Significant negative on both offense and defense

Kuzma is the big name, overpriced, to avoid. Gafford/Avdija are the only players you should target off that team. Offer matching minimal salary plus a 2nd for each (something like Holmes-Curry, although not sure that is quite enough outgoing matching salary) and leave Kuzma for someone else.
[-] The following 5 users Like F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs, Smitty, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
Kuzma is a horrible fit when you look at literally anything besides counting stats.
[-] The following 3 users Like Branduil's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
Geez there's a balance here fellas. You know you can't just look at stats. I'm not going to make any more posts about Kuzma but this big-name, overpriced, terrible fit, inefficient chucker stuff is nonsense. Kuzma's not winning any MVPs, that's for sure, but he doesn't suck. I mean, you put Jimmy Butler and the focus of the entire Heat defense on him the whole game and you get 5-16 with 13 pts, a bunch of fouls and 1 assist. What else do you expect? It's Jimmy freaking Butler. That doesn't mean he wouldn't regularly go 7-12 with 18 pts and 8 boards if he were the 3rd option in Dallas and guarded by Haywood Highsmiths, Michal Porter Jrs, KATs, Giddeys and Barneses of the world. That doesn't make Kuzma a different player. Just a very different situation.
[-] The following 2 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • BigDirk41, Okstate819
Like Reply
Here are my takes on targets. Some of these guys I am not confident in my evaluations

Wiggins- don’t think so. Don’t want to bet against the Golden state infrastructure. Let someone else take that gamble.

Pj washington- sure. Fits the size that I want.

kuzma- sure, depends on price. I have a hard no at a certain range.

DFS- sure. Would not use one of our firsts though. Neither green or OMAx either.

Myles bridges- perfect on floor fit, but no. Just couldn’t do it.

Most likely outcome is we don’t make a move
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Complaints about Kuz's efficiency are there, but he is the number option on a bad team.
If THJ and Kuz would swap places, THJ could chuck his way to 20 a night, but would be one of the worst players in efficiency.

Kuz upgrades the 3rd option on the Mavs in offense, also upgrades from a non-performing GW at PF, and also upgrades the Mavs in both rebounding and size. Not seeing that is just hate.

Note: Most hate Kuz primarily because he is a Blake Griffin level douche. Which I don't disagree.
I rather have Deni, but Kuz isn't as bad as most think.
Like Reply
(02-02-2024, 10:39 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Complaints about Kuz's efficiency are there, but he is the number option on a bad team.
If THJ and Kuz would swap places, THJ could chuck his way to 20 a night, but would be one of the worst players in efficiency.

Kuz upgrades the 3rd option on the Mavs in offense, also upgrades from a non-performing GW at PF, and also upgrades the Mavs in both rebounding and size. Not seeing that is just hate.

Note: Most hate Kuz primarily because he is a Blake Griffin level douche. Which I don't disagree.
I rather have Deni, but Kuz isn't as bad as most think.

The big problem is the Mavs already have 2 stars who aren't good at defense. If we trade THJ it needs to be for a guy who is better on defense.
[-] The following 3 users Like Branduil's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, mvossman, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
My preference is PJ Tucker or us just holding pat and picking up a front court buyout guy. I certainly don’t want to give up a first for DFS and most of the candidates mentioned. I would be interested in Kuzma if they package him with another front court player like Gafford.

However, to be honest, if we don’t start getting healthy and winning some games, it’s not going to matter a damn who we pick up.
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 3 users Like OBX Maverick's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-02-2024, 07:03 PM)Smitty Wrote: For me, the worst possible outcome is trading a FRP and Omax for Kuzma. With all the smoke, I fully expect that to be the move.. So, at this point anything other than that happening - I will be ecstatic.

I am in the same place.  I'm hoping we just do nothing rather than trade the 2027 1st for Kuzma.  Watching Mark Cuban navigate NBA trades is like watching a 4-year old drive a Corvette.  You just wish they'd let him stop driving the damn thing.
[-] The following 4 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-02-2024, 05:40 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Can you guys imagine THJ and Poole as a back court. That would be hilarious to watch. I like THJ, but his efficiency will go to hell without Luka.

You're only supposed to say things like this after a trade is done. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like RGP1981's post:
  • BigDirk41, Smitty
Like Reply