Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: ATL Open to Trading Trae Much More Now After Lottery
What I don’t think it’s clear from the one tweet we have about this is: Is this clearly the Lakers deciding to cash in on LeBron and move on, or is it the player wanting to be moved? Or, is it mutual?
Like Reply
I don’t think you can move LBJ without his approval so it’s at the very least mutual.
[-] The following 7 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MFFL, omahen, Scott41theMavs, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 08:11 PM)Winter Wrote: So we don't care about Josh, OMax, and Hardy anymore. The Mavs have invested years with two of them. and Omax is a budding star in this thread. That was so 10 minutes ago. They're yesterday's news now. Instead, we get 39-year old Lebron for at least a few months and maybe a year. Of course, we don't need time to gel as a team. Coach Kidd will guide us. A Championship is a foregone conclusion. Plus, we won't have to tune into the draft until at least 2028. I mean what's not to like?

Man, you gotta love message boards.

Not sure where you saw strong opinions about fanbase wanting to make this trade. What you can see is a discussion about what it would take to get a deal done as several things point out that this couid be a very Cuban and LeBron thing to do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 08:11 PM)Winter Wrote: So we don't care about Josh, OMax, and Hardy anymore. The Mavs have invested years with two of them. and Omax is a budding star in this thread. That was so 10 minutes ago. They're yesterday's news now. Instead, we get 39-year old Lebron for at least a few months and maybe a year. Of course, we don't need time to gel as a team. Coach Kidd will guide us. A Championship is a foregone conclusion. Plus, we won't have to tune into the draft until at least 2028. I mean what's not to like?

Man, you gotta love message boards.

It is kind of silly, and there is no way in hell I would include Lively, but…come on. It’s LeBron James.

I’m usually against deals that move the youngsters, because those deals wouldn’t actually make the team that great. I think adding LeBron James to this team, without moving lively in the process, makes the team a contender this year.

That’s tough to turn down, I don’t care who you are.

(02-01-2024, 08:13 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don’t think you can move LBJ without his approval so it’s at the very least mutual.

No trade clause, you mean?
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 07:46 PM)omahen Wrote: I think there is no way Lakers trade LeBron for a bunch of trash salaries, some meh young players and just one FRP. Lively would imho have to be included.

You're approaching this like this is a normal scenario of a regular star being traded.

But this is Lebron. He literally has manufactured his way to his preferred destination for 14 years running. He has made teams make any trade he wants. He has single-handedly created super team up culture.

If Lebron says I want to be in Dallas AND he is an upcoming free agent, the only things the Lakers say is, ok.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 08:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: No trade clause, you mean?

He doesn't have a no trade clause. But Lakers will imho move him only if he wants it. He makes them way too much money, even if the results are not great.
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
I have never been a fan of Lebron coming here, but if it saves us from Kuz and Wiggins, I'm in as long as it does not involve Lively.
[-] The following 10 users Like mvossman's post:
  • F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, Radical Mavs, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, Smitty, The Jom
Like Reply
I think LBJ likelihood of being traded anywhere will be determined by one thing: is LBJ demanding a trade? Has he decided he's had enough of the losing in LA? That team -- even with him on it -- is not good.

If yes, they WILL trade him. They will not force him to stay, with all the blowback that would cause them. And he will likely decide where. And will have input in the deal.

If no, he's not even on the market.

Dallas has intriguing teammate possibilities, and an owner who would do anything, but there are others who would also might interest him. GS? LAC? NY? CLE?

One factor that may add to Dallas' appeal - the ownership has super-deep pockets. If you build a team of excellence, the payroll may skyrocket in a year or three. The Mavs now have the financial wherewithal to play in that league.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Radical Mavs, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 08:16 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: You're approaching this like this is a normal scenario of a regular star being traded.

But this is Lebron. He literally has manufactured his way to his preferred destination for 14 years running. He has made teams make any trade he wants. He has single-handedly created super team up culture.

If Lebron says I want to be in Dallas AND he is an upcoming free agent, the only things the Lakers say is, ok.

Agree to disagree. They will say ok to any team he wants to go to, but that team will pay all the assets they have, imho. I think fanbase can forgive them if he walks in the summer for nothing, but will never forgive them if they trade him for a bunch of nothing.
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Honestly, I think Green, Hardy, O-Max and an UNPROTECTED 1st, made even more valuable by the fact that this would make the team older and that 2/3 of the big three would be gone before the pick is made… I think that is more than fair for a 39 year old going into a player option. Take a little bad salary away from LA and it’s even better.

Honestly, If he wants to come here I think it can be done without trading Derek lively.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Also - LeBron forces where he wants to go to, but he was never traded in his career. Cleveland executed a SnT with Miami after "the decision".
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 08:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Honestly, this is probably the one situation where it might pay to have Jason Kidd as coach. Between him, Kyrie, and what I mentioned earlier about LeBron wanting someone like Luka to take the ball, I can see it. 

Again, I only think it works if both organizations work together to get LeBron here. I don’t think Dallas will be able to outbid the other teams. But, if there is one person in the NBA with the ability to point to a team and be transferred there, it’s LeBron. I mean, I just don’t think we can even calculate what he is worth to the NBA as a business. Even Adam silver will probably just say “send them where he wants so he will keep playing.“ It might be wishful thinking, but I don’t think it’s crazy.

I didn't even consider the Jason Kidd angle.  That's a great point.  I don't think any of this is likely but it is also easy to imagine.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 08:26 PM)omahen Wrote: Also - LeBron forces where he wants to go to, but he was never traded in his career. Cleveland executed a SnT with Miami after "the decision".

He was never traded in his career because he has never wanted to be traded before.

I can point to numerous deals where Lebron said "do this or I walk" and the teams do it. Trades on the face of it that make ZERO sense.

This is a unique scenario because Lebron doesn't want to go to a losing team. Which means the team paying assets won't be giving up their substantial players for him.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 08:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: He was never traded in his career because he has never wanted to be traded before.

I can point to numerous deals where Lebron said "do this or I walk" and the teams do it. Trades on the face of it that make ZERO sense.

This is a unique scenario because Lebron doesn't want to go to a losing team. Which means the team paying assets won't be giving up their substantial players for him.

I think you are vastly understating one of the strongest franchises of the league. I think trading LeBron for any package will be a big media hit for them. Trading LeBron for a bunch of nothing would be a disaster for the team and everyone involved on Lakers side. Owner, GM,...

Catering to his demands how to improve the team is a totally different thing than losing him
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 08:20 PM)omahen Wrote: Agree to disagree. They will say ok to any team he wants to go to, but that team will pay all the assets they have, imho. I think fanbase can forgive them if he walks in the summer for nothing, but will never forgive them if they trade him for a bunch of nothing.

There is a wide gap between LA getting "a bunch of nothing" and "all the assets" from a trade partner, and I don't think it would be either extreme. I think they will get a strong return, but don't think it will be as strong as you are theorizing. IF he is traded, of course. 

I think Lebron will have significant input, refusing to go to a stripped down team, and that Luka-Kyrie-Lively will be off the table, if the Mavs and LA start fashioning a deal.

One factor in a deal will be the salary match, and the number of bodies, which will force some choices. Matching LBJ's $47M takes multiple salaries, and when you include small ones (Hardy, Omax, Lively, etc), LA has to waive a bunch of their roster when including small salaries to do the deal. In addition, LA and DAL are both slightly below the tax line, so neither will want to incur a bunch of added payroll. The point is, for DAL, a trade for LBJ would be tricky and probably require plenty of flexibility and creativity on both sides.
[-] The following 4 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, SleepingHero, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 08:35 PM)omahen Wrote: I think you are vastly understating one of the strongest franchises of the league. I think trading LeBron for any package will be a big media hit for them. Trading LeBron for a bunch of nothing would be a disaster for the team and everyone involved on Lakers side. Owner, GM,...

Catering to his demands how to improve the team is a totally different thing than losing him

I think they would cater to his demands.  The Lakers are different than other franchises in that they are the premiere destination in the NBA for free agents.  If they refuse to cooperate with Lebron, he leaves as a free agent this summer and will be very loud and critical of the Laker's organization.  This would have a lasting effect on the Lakers.  They're better off cooperating if he wants to leave and acquiring a few assets for him.  They would rebuild for a few years then go free agency shopping after that.
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 08:38 PM)F Gump Wrote: There is a wide gap between LA getting "a bunch of nothing" and "all the assets" from a trade partner, and I don't think it would be either extreme. I think they will get a strong return, but don't think it will be as strong as you are theorizing. IF he is traded, of course. 

I think Lebron will have significant input, refusing to go to a stripped down team, and that Luka-Kyrie-Lively will be off the table, if the Mavs and LA start fashioning a deal.

One factor in a deal will be the salary match, and the number of bodies, which will force some choices. Matching LBJ's $47M takes multiple salaries, and when you include small ones (Hardy, Omax, Lively, etc), LA has to waive a bunch of their roster when including small salaries to do the deal. In addition, LA and DAL are both slightly below the tax line, so neither will want to incur a bunch of added payroll. The point is, for DAL, a trade for LBJ would be tricky and probably require plenty of flexibility and creativity on both sides.

Agree there is a gap and I don't think Lakers can take all Mavs rookies exactly for the reason you stated (number of players involved) But, Mavs have only two prized assets. 2027 and Lively. Everything else is meh. Lively has been great, but he is still a rookie. I find it much more likely that the deal would include a way for Mavs to get a semi competent center (either in buyout or expanded deal with a third team) than Lakers taking anything less than 2027 and Lively.
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 08:38 PM)F Gump Wrote: There is a wide gap between LA getting "a bunch of nothing" and "all the assets" from a trade partner, and I don't think it would be either extreme. I think they will get a strong return, but don't think it will be as strong as you are theorizing. IF he is traded, of course. 

A very basic trade which I think is satisfying all the tax and cap limitations you mentioned (didn't bother to add picks). I don't know how to share a trade from fanspo, so I am just writing it down:

LAL: THJ, GW, Holmes, Lively (-4.8 salaries), picks
Dal: LBJ, Reddish, Hayes (+4.8 mil salaries)
Like Reply
If you think tax is a problem (I don't believe tax would play any role in such a deal, hard cap is the limit), than Mavs dump Curry using cash on a team with an exception and create space for buyout guy or two.
Like Reply
I find the Lebron talk fun but it isn’t happening now. Btw shorthanded lakers up in Boston LOL

I don’t think they move him now but you don’t thin Golden state, Philly (we will see about embid), Miami, Cleveland, and probably a few other teams would be aggressive going after Lebron?

Mavs won’t trade Lively but they lakers could certainly find pretty good offers for Lebron. Teams he could maybe help teams win now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply