Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: NOP Will Not Give Ingram an Extension
Kuzma had 14 rebounds against Minnesota recently and 11 against SAS the next week. He averages 6.5. It's hard to say he "doesn't rebound well." I mean DFS averages 4.8 rebounds for Brooklyn.

That said, Kuzma without Gafford is a completely different animal. The addition of Gafford changes the game stats pretty significantly.
Like Reply
Kuzma's defensive rebounding % is elite. Just saying.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 05:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Maybe Mavs can get creative and send THJ to Orlando for their 2024 first. Washington sends them Tyus Jones.

Wizards get back Fultz, Harris, Hardy, Green, Holmes, and Grant Williams, 2024 ORL First, 2 Mavs 2nds.

Mavs end up with Avdija, Gafford, and Kuzma.

I don't like it. But we basically swap out THJ and Green for Avdija and Kuzma. Gafford replaces Holmes.

Might be too big of a trade for it to be realistic.

I just don’t think the Mavs enough to get two of those wizards much less three.

You bring up Orlando and that is interesting.  This draft sucks and Orlando already has enough young players.  Could they be a part of a three way where they get THJ and washington gets Fultz, Orlando protected first this year and Mavs 27 first?  Dallas then could keep their youngsters and some flexibility this summer while adding Kuzma.  Not sure what else would have to be included but I wonder if that could be a framework.
Like Reply
Makes for a bigger team. We are asking for size. We get it there.
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 03:57 PM)F Gump Wrote: $24.5M ? No. I previously gave you the result from doing all that (incl Curry) and it yielded $12.54M cap room, less than the NT MLE. 

Now, with a $141M cap expected, the cap room number after all that would be even smaller (about $11.57M).

However, I think it's all a pointless exercise anyhow. I don't expect either Bridges or CHA to allow him to be traded now, because it will strip him of Bird rights, which impacts both his salary potential on the next deal PLUS the value CHA can extract in a trade. Instead, I would expect him to be a hot topic in July. We'll see then how badly he has damaged his appeal, or whether he will have suitors for a big contract.

I'm curious - where are you reading that the Mavs are interested in a trade for Bridges?

I’m excited that Gump is still with us! Was worried we wouldn’t see the Forest for the seas[on]!
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
And for the record, yes, if the Mavs miracle into Avidja, Kuzma, and Gafford they are an instant legitimate championship contender.
[-] The following 2 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • BigDirk41, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 05:33 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I just don’t think the Mavs enough to get two of those wizards much less three.

You bring up Orlando and that is interesting.  This draft sucks and Orlando already has enough young players.  Could they be a part of a three way where they get THJ and washington gets Fultz, Orlando protected first this year and Mavs 27 first?  Dallas then could keep their youngsters and some flexibility this summer while adding Kuzma.  Not sure what else would have to be included but I wonder if that could be a framework.

I don't believe Gafford nor Avdija are as valuable as we are propping them up to be. More valuable than Holmes? For sure. A guy like Green and THJ? No. Not even close. They're probably on the same playing field.

THJ turns into a first for Washington. Green is a swap for Avdija as it doesn't seem the new coach is enthralled with him and his fit isn't the best in the first place.

Add in Hardy as the prospect for Washington to get excited about plus the 3 picks they get for Kuzma (Orlando and Mavs 2nds). It seems fair on the face of it for me.

But I don't rate Kuzma very high.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 05:18 PM)Smitty Wrote: Edit: I think  Mavs stay below the tax line because Irving incentives aren’t met. Allows for you to sign Lawson to the 14-man roster and not go into tax.

Does this roster make you a contender?

Luka - Exum - Curry
Irving - Green - Lawson?
Avdija - DJJ
Kuzma - Maxi - Morris
Lively - Gafford - Powell

Cost ‘27 FRP + Hardy + Omax + possible SRP’s

If you take out THJ, and replace him with Maxi-Curry, I'm in.

IMO THJ is useful and has value in Dallas, but not for WAS, so replacing him with equivalent salary shouldn't be a problem.

Although I would try to send Morris not Omax. And I would try to get back lesser picks, as I send those out, so I'm not stripping the cupboard bare.
Like Reply
Kuz is a better scorer than THJ with length, enough skill to put the ball on the floor, and elite defensive rebounding.

Avidja is a top-10 point of attack defender with All Defense and DPOY potential.

Gafford is an ideal backup to Lively. I'd be concerned without a decent 5-out center on the roster but there will be buyout candidates.

It was a multiplayer WAS trade that put Dirk's Mavs into title contention.
[-] The following 2 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • BigDirk41, Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 05:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Maybe Mavs can get creative and send THJ to Orlando for their 2024 first.

Been pumping this as the way for us to deal with rebuilding teams since the Magic got off to that hot start.  I don't think Hardaway is worth the Magic's own pick but they own the Nugget's 2024 pick and I think you could do that.

Gary Harris is an expiring that matches Hardaway that you could send out to a third team with that pick.
Like Reply
@TheDunkCentral
The Nets are determined to move at least Royce O’Neale or Dorian Finney-Smith before the deadline, if not both, per
@AmicoHoops
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 05:28 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Kuzma's defensive rebounding % is elite. Just saying.

Elite? How do you figure? From BR, there are five others on WAS roster with better DRb%, four in DAL, and he is 51st in the league.
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 05:54 PM)F Gump Wrote: Elite? How do you figure? From BR, there are five others on WAS roster with better DRb%, four in DAL, and he is 51st in the league.

Per Cleaning The Glass, Kuzma was in the 91st percentile for forwards in defensive rebounding percentage last season. That means he’s one of the elite glass cleaners in the league. He was a major part of why the Wizards were in the top 10 in defensive rebounding percentage.
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 05:36 PM)The Jom Wrote: I’m excited that Gump is still with us! Was worried we wouldn’t see the Forest for the seas[on]!

LOL thanks! I am happy and relaxed spending more time doing other things that give me joy, and that are a better use of my time.

I have been transparent - Not optimistic about what they will make of the rest of the season. Refuse to invest emotionally in a team that is so broken and so mismanaged. Low-to-no expectations on roster building. Very selective about spending time watching them play. It's just my own POV, and I have no criticism of the discussions and those who don't think as I do.

Luka is a great show at times. That won't change. But their ability to compete at a high level is minimal. I just don't want to invest in that.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, SweetFidelia
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 05:49 PM)F Gump Wrote: If you take out THJ, and replace him with Maxi-Curry, I'm in.

IMO THJ is useful and has value in Dallas, but not for WAS, so replacing him with equivalent salary shouldn't be a problem.

Although I would try to send Morris not Omax. And I would try to get back lesser picks, as I send those out, so I'm not stripping the cupboard bare.

I’d be curious what the future ramifications are with both Green and Avdija’s extensions kicking in. As early as next year it could be costly, no?
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 06:00 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Per Cleaning The Glass, Kuzma was in the 91st percentile for forwards in defensive rebounding percentage last season. That means he’s one of the elite glass cleaners in the league. He was a major part of why the Wizards were in the top 10 in defensive rebounding percentage.

The BR numbers have him at 11th among PFs this season. I don't use KTG, but looking at the raw numbers, I wonder if KTG's rankings are for the 21-22 season when his reb numbers were much better. 

But if he could even be adequate, that would be a win for DAL if he was acquired.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, vfromlmf
Like Reply
It would be hard to salary match without overloading Miami’s roster, and I can’t see them waiving the white towel, but if Jimmy B were available, even at his age . . .
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 06:09 PM)Smitty Wrote: I’d be curious what the future ramifications are with both Green and Avdija’s extensions kicking in. As early as next year it could be costly, no?

Both are big jumps, yes.

If the Mavs made the 6-for-3 swap as outlined previously, ending up with both JG and Advija, their future payroll would grow considerably. Barring other trades, in the summer they would be over Apron 1 but under Apron 2, with ability and room in July to use the TxpMLE and minimums. No real chance in that scenario to avoid tax or even duck under Apron 1.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-01-2024, 06:26 PM)F Gump Wrote:  Both are big jumps, yes.

If the Mavs made the 6-for-3 swap as outlined previously, ending up with both JG and Advija, their future payroll would grow considerably. Barring other trades, in the summer they would be over Apron 1 but under Apron 2, with ability and room in July to use the TxpMLE and minimums. No real chance in that scenario to avoid tax or even duck under Apron 1.

Interesting. I’m not up to date on the difference between Apron 1 & 2 and what it means as far as the constraints it puts on roster building - but I think it’s safe to say, that an all-in move for the 3 Wizards would be costly both financially and for future flexibility - not to mention the assets they initially cost to get.
Like Reply
https://x.com/kevingraysports/status/175...17310?s=46&t=4w35gotNXtBJnqxbaL7e9w

On Kyle Kuzma: a Mavs source I talked today believes they have the leadership & hierarchy in Dallas to absorb Kuzma as a player & personality as Kuzma, as it was put to me, seems to be a big fan of Jason Kidd who was a Lakers assistant when Kuzma won the NBA title in LA #MFFL
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, SleepingHero
Like Reply