Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(01-29-2024, 06:33 PM)Smitty Wrote: Apologies, I was responding from my phone and probably didn't make myself all that clear. I believe there are a number of ways to make this team better by the TDL. Health being number one but here are some trade ideas that I think are realistic.

Notice all of them have THJ outgoing and all of them keep the Mavs under the tax line.

Trade 1

THJ, Holmes, SRP
Dinwiddie, O'Neal

Both Dinwiddie and O'Neal are expiring so Mavs clear roughly 29M next year.

Trade 2

THJ, Hardy
Fournier, Grimes

Fournier is basically an expiring this year so you get off of Tim's deal in the process.

Trade 3

THJ, Curry, SRP
PJ Wash, Richards

Trade 4

THJ, SRP
Wendell Carter Jr

Trade 5

THJ, Gwill, Holmes, SRP
Hayward, Bridges

Mavs get off ~41M next year and have a chance to build a team around Luka.

Trade 6

THJ, Curry, '27 FRP
Gafford, Avdija

In conclusion, any of these trades make the Mavs better this year and next, IMO. All of them account for THJ's scoring outgoing.

So a lot of these trades involves clearing a lot of cap.  I'm not sure what that would accomplish?  There would be value to clearing enough cap to be able to use the full MLE.  That amount would depend a lot on other moves we make, but I'm guessing somewhere in the 5-10 mil.  after that, clearing cap space doesn't do much.  In the case where you cleared 41 mil, that might get us to the point where we would have MLE amount of cap space, plus the non tax payer MLE.  Thats shedding a ton of cap for a small exception.  I would argue the Timmy and Holmes contracts would be much more useful as expiring contracts next offseason.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • MFFL, omahen
Like Reply
Apparently, the Mavs are betting favorites for PJ Washington, currently. That's cool.
Like Reply
(01-29-2024, 07:40 PM)mvossman Wrote: So a lot of these trades involves clearing a lot of cap.  I'm not sure what that would accomplish?  There would be value to clearing enough cap to be able to use the full MLE.  That amount would depend a lot on other moves we make, but I'm guessing somewhere in the 5-10 mil.  after that, clearing cap space doesn't do much.  In the case where you cleared 41 mil, that might get us to the point where we would have MLE amount of cap space, plus the non tax payer MLE.  Thats shedding a ton of cap for a small exception.  I would argue the Timmy and Holmes contracts would be much more useful as expiring contracts next offseason.

In the clearing $41M scenario the Mavs would actually be left with ~20M in actual cap space. Some of that could be used to resign Bridges or not. You would be able to use it on two or three players like Kyle Anderson and Hartenstein for example. Of course you could make more trades (Kyrie) to clear more or get a player that fits Luka better but I already made a long post about that.

(01-29-2024, 07:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Apparently, the Mavs are betting favorites for PJ Washington, currently. That's cool.

We were the betting favorites for Siakam also Sad
Like Reply
(01-29-2024, 07:49 PM)Smitty Wrote: In the clearing $41M scenario the Mavs would actually be left with ~20M in actual cap space. Some of that could be used to resign Bridges or not. You would be able to use it on two or three players like Kyle Anderson and Hartenstein for example. Of course you could make more trades (Kyrie) to clear more or get a player that fits Luka better but I already made a long post about that.

I don't think that number is right.  There is 30 mil between the tax line and the cap line.  If it took us 10 mil to get to MLE, then it would be 40 mil to get MLE space.  Regardless, we are not getting two or three players like Hartenstein.  He will go for MLE at this rate.  Either way, you are not rebuilding this team with 10-20 mil cap space.  And you have lost most of your ballast for big trades.
Like Reply
(01-29-2024, 08:20 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't think that number is right.  There is 30 mil between the tax line and the cap line.  If it took us 10 mil to get to MLE, then it would be 40 mil to get MLE space.  Regardless, we are not getting two or three players like Hartenstein.  He will go for MLE at this rate.  Either way, you are not rebuilding this team with 10-20 mil cap space.  And you have lost most of your ballast for big trades.

Mavs are projected to be 23.7M over the cap next year. THJ+GWill+Holmes clears 42M. So 18.3M is the actual number. Enough to resign Bridges. MLE (Hartenstien or K. Anderson).

You trade Kyrie and 3 picks for Lauri and Sexton. Maybe even a 3 team deal where Kyrie goes to the Lakers and Utah gets even more picks.

Luka - Hardy - Curry
Exum - Sexton - Lawson
Bridges - Green 
Lauri - Omax - Maxi
Lively - Hartenstein - Powell
Like Reply
(01-29-2024, 08:38 PM)Smitty Wrote: Mavs are projected to be 23.7M over the cap next year. 

Not correct. The NBA's most recent cap projection for 2024-25 is $142M, and the Mavs are committed to ~$172.045M, which means they are projected to be about $30M over the cap as is.

If you clear 3 players making a total of ~$42M, you also incur a cap charge for 2 empty salary slots at ~$1.17M each, which means you clear a bit less than $40M net, and your cap room in the summer would be only about $9.7M.

If that happened, instead of cap room they would opt to use the NT MLE of $12.95M and perhaps also the BAE of $$4.7M.

In those calculations I assumed they keep Curry. If he is waived, they save a bit more, but are still only $12.54M under the cap, still not as much spendable cap room as the NT MLE.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(01-29-2024, 09:17 PM)F Gump Wrote: Not correct. The NBA's most recent cap projection for 2024-25 is $142M, and the Mavs are committed to ~$172.045M, which means they are projected to be about $30M over the cap as is.

If you clear 3 players making a total of ~$42M, you also incur a cap charge for 2 empty salary slots at ~$1.17M each, which means you clear a bit less than $40M net, and your cap room in the summer would be only about $9.7M.

If that happened, instead of cap room they would opt to use the NT MLE of $12.95M and perhaps also the BAE of $$4.7M.

In those calculations I assumed they keep Curry. If he is waived, they save a bit more, but are still only $12.54M under the cap, still not as much spendable cap room as the NT MLE.

You’re the cap expert so I’ll definitely take your word for it. I just got the 23.7M number from spotrac. Thanks for the information!
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • F Gump, mvossman
Like Reply
As the biggest THJ critic...

All I ask is for him to play like he did tonight.

No chucking Tim is best Tim.
[-] The following 3 users Like youzigizag's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Nowitzki Way, SleepingHero
Like Reply
[Image: ojfqnc8w7ifc1.jpeg?width=1024&auto=webp&...264041d78a]

I'm gonna keep this pic loaded up for when Timmy has another supernova night.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I'm really getting to the point where I'd rather we just trade Kyrie to the Lakers in a 3-way-trade to get a sidekick who isn't injured 50% of the time. KP 2.0
[-] The following 2 users Like Branduil's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-30-2024, 03:51 AM)Branduil Wrote: I'm really getting to the point where I'd rather we just trade Kyrie to the Lakers in a 3-way-trade to get a sidekick who isn't injured 50% of the time. KP 2.0

I felt like that from the minute we re-signed him.  But strangely, he seems happy here. Even though he barely plays, he seems engaged with his teammates. He's had zero drama or negativity around him in Dallas.

I dont see that changing before the deadline. But sometime in the next year is very possible. I just don't see them trading him while he's happy.  He's the ONE star free agent we've ever signed. We trade him and i think we'd burn a lot of bridges. His best asset for us may actually be recruiting.

But in a perfect world i'd be all over a Lakers package where we could get their 1st rounder,  Dlo(possibly flip him), Vanderbilt, Hood-Schifino.   Mabye we could get Reaves out of the deal, but i doubt it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nowitzki Way's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(01-30-2024, 12:58 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: ojfqnc8w7ifc1.jpeg?width=1024&auto=webp&...264041d78a]

I'm gonna keep this pic loaded up for when Timmy has another supernova night.

Sleepy

Like Reply
(01-30-2024, 03:51 AM)Branduil Wrote: I'm really getting to the point where I'd rather we just trade Kyrie to the Lakers in a 3-way-trade to get a sidekick who isn't injured 50% of the time. KP 2.0

Yeah I'm getting to that point also. I've been a big Kyrie supporter and I was thrilled they resigned him, but if he can't play a lot, he doesn't help this team or take pressure off Luka. I'm ok with moving Kyrie for someone that plays every night if that player is really talented as well. I'm not ok with moving Kyrie just to move him. Honestly everyone not named Luka should potentially be available if it improves this team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(01-30-2024, 11:01 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Yeah I'm getting to that point also. I've been a big Kyrie supporter and I was thrilled they resigned him, but if he can't play a lot, he doesn't help this team or take pressure off Luka. I'm ok with moving Kyrie for someone that plays every night if that player is really talented as well. I'm not ok with moving Kyrie just to move him. Honestly everyone not named Luka should potentially be available if it improves this team.

I would love to trade him for someone like Brunson.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-30-2024, 11:01 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Honestly everyone not named Luka should potentially be available if it improves this team.

Agreed with regard to everyone except Lively.
Like Reply

I'm not hell-bent on getting rid of him like I was with Porzingis, because he seems to be impacting the roster positively, and he makes positive contributions when he plays. You can see the fit, unlike with Porzingis. 

But, your point about his availability is a good one, and this is something detractors of the trade saw coming. He hasn't put in a full season of work in a LONGGGG time. Like 7 years, at this point. He probably never will again. 

I'd move him if the right deal presented itself, but I'm not in a hurry to dump him, at this point. 

HOWEVER, this is one of the many, many reasons I believe the Mavs should continue to build with YOUTH, ignoring the Kyrie part of their timeline. Lean in on Luka's age as if Kyrie isn't there, and this roster will get healthier and healthier as Luka gets closer and closer to his true prime.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
The other day I was playing with possible spots for Kyrie. I don't like anything the usual suspects like LA or Philly have potentially to offer.

Orlando is a team that really need a PG and a guy like Kyrie, that is capable of playing off Wagner and Banchero would be ideal for them. But again, I just don't see anything appealing from the rest of their roster. Only perhaps a three team deal with Orlando providing young players and picks for a top40 player from the third team. Can't think of anything other than Bridges (would likely require more assets from Mavs), but things could change with some teams dissapointed about their long term outlook. Markkanen could be an option, but I am not convinced he is the right fit for Luka. 

The other option could be Miami, although perhaps not anymore after the Rozier trade. Herro, Jovic and draft asset could sound like something I would consider trading Kyrie for.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-30-2024, 11:54 AM)omahen Wrote: The other day I was playing with possible spots for Kyrie. I don't like anything the usual suspects like LA or Philly have potentially to offer.

Orlando is a team that really need a PG and a guy like Kyrie, that is capable of playing off Wagner and Banchero would be ideal for them. But again, I just don't see anything appealing from the rest of their roster. Only perhaps a three team deal with Orlando providing young players and picks for a top40 player from the third team. Can't think of anything other than Bridges (would likely require more assets from Mavs), but things could change with some teams dissapointed about their long term outlook. Markkanen could be an option, but I am not convinced he is the right fit for Luka. 

The other option could be Miami, although perhaps not anymore after the Rozier trade. Herro, Jovic and draft asset could sound like something I would consider trading Kyrie for.

What are your thoughts on the suggested 3 way a few weeks ago where Kyrie goes to LA and Murray comes here?  He is not as good as Kyrie, but he is younger, healthier, and has a history of playing defense before Atlanta.  That would allow us more patience in the team building process.
Like Reply
(01-30-2024, 11:06 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Agreed with regard to everyone except Lively.

Yeah my bad. No Lively either. I can't believe he slipped my mind.

(01-30-2024, 12:14 PM)mvossman Wrote: What are your thoughts on the suggested 3 way a few weeks ago where Kyrie goes to LA and Murray comes here?  He is not as good as Kyrie, but he is younger, healthier, and has a history of playing defense before Atlanta.  That would allow us more patience in the team building process.

I would take Murray for Kyrie at this point and not think twice about it.
Like Reply
I don't think you guys saw the screenshot I posted of Murray's leaked DM's with a fan where he complains about not being the primary playmaker, playing without rhythm, and relegated to a spot up position. None of that will be alleviated here. In fact I think it'd probably be worse.

Kyrie Irving is a better player right now than Murray, health issues aside. And the most underrated aspect is that he accepts his role as being the number 2 guy. That's hard to find in a guy with his talent level.

Is Kyrie the best most ideal fit? No. But he does fit. Like KL said, he fits better than KP and the vision is there. I'm not motivated trading Kyrie away unless it brings back a star of equal value that fits. Like Mikal Bridges, Lauri Markkannen, Donovan Mitchell. These type of dudes.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft
Like Reply