Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: PHI Keeping An Eye on Butler | Butler Wants Max Extension
(01-26-2024, 01:21 PM)omahen Wrote: Mavs desperately need a two-way player. Luka and espeially Kyrie miss games. We need someone who can step in in those games. Guys like Avdija are not it. PJ Washington is closer, but I am far from convinced about his defense.

Avdija is a better 3-point shooter, better rebounder and better defensive player than PJ Washington.  He is 2 years younger and on a better contract. 

I can't even agree to disagree with you here.  Avdija is a much, much better player.   PJ Washington is not a good offensive player nor a good defensive player.  

It won't surprise me if we trade for PJ Washington as this same organization has sold us Reggie Bullock and Grant Williams as the solutions to our wing deficiencies.

PJ Washington is not the answer though and I don't understand why so many good posters (including you) think he is a good player.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 04:48 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Avdija is a better 3-point shooter, better rebounder and better defensive player than PJ Washington.  He is 2 years younger and on a better contract. 

I can't even agree to disagree with you here.  Avdija is a much, much better player.   PJ Washington is not a good offensive player nor a good defensive player.  

It won't surprise me if we trade for PJ Washington as this same organization has sold us Reggie Bullock and Grant Williams as the solutions to our wing deficiencies.

PJ Washington is not the answer though and I don't understand why so many good posters (including you) think he is a good player.

I like Deni better than PJ, but its a little early to say he is a better 3 point shooter.  He is having a good half season so far on low volume, but before this season he was a 31% three point shooter.  PJ is a career 36% shooter on higher volume.  Some of that is probably due to Deni growth, but some could be noise, just like PJs half season dip is probably noise as well.
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 06:39 PM)mvossman Wrote: I like Deni better than PJ, but its a little early to say he is a better 3 point shooter.  He is having a good half season so far on low volume, but before this season he was a 31% three point shooter.  PJ is a career 36% shooter on higher volume.  Some of that is probably due to Deni growth, but some could be noise, just like PJs half season dip is probably noise as well.

People roll their eyes when I say this, but Washington has been creating offense these past couple of years in Charlotte. You put his ass here in the corner, and I think people will be shocked at how much the three-point percentage goes up.

Then again, I said the same thing about Grant Williams.

Still, for me it’s almost an identical situation to Jeremi Grant’s. Grant has more evidence on record of being a dominant defensive player when motivated to play that way, whereas with Washington that part is fairly hypothetical. On the other hand, Washington has a little more tread on his tires, probably fewer bad habits, and possibly even a lower level of “star entitlement.”

Either way, I am intrigued enough to take the risk. Either Guy. Don’t really want to give away a first round pick that has to be unprotected, but I would like to add one of those guys to the team if possible.
Like Reply
On a good team where there is discipline and accountability, Jerami could bring back his D. Not totally, as he also wants to score nowadays, but there'd be an increase in his defensive effort. I'm not optimistic that team would be the Mavs. He views himself as a star and on the Mavs he'd be 3rd in the pecking order. IMHO, he'd already accept being number 2 to Luka's one, but he'd be going out of his way to dislodge Kyrie and Kyrie would let him. That could mean Jerami could focus more on scoring -- exactly what he wants to. And on the subject of defense, he can, but would he? If the best player on the team gets a pass on not playing D, that would only encourage him to do the same as Luka does. Of course Jerami could still help as his natural defensive instincts are just good. But I'm not sure he'd exert real effort on the defensive end on the Mavs.

And of course, but favorite Jerami gripe -- rebounding.
Be prepared to have the same issues on the other team crushing the Mavs every night as every big on the Mavs except for Lively couldn't get 5 rebounds on a regular basis.
[-] The following 2 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 06:39 PM)mvossman Wrote: I like Deni better than PJ, but its a little early to say he is a better 3 point shooter.  He is having a good half season so far on low volume, but before this season he was a 31% three point shooter.  PJ is a career 36% shooter on higher volume.  Some of that is probably due to Deni growth, but some could be noise, just like PJs half season dip is probably noise as well.

Fair.  I think it's a good sign though that Deni has improved not only his 3-point shooting this season but also his 2-point percentages.  PJ Washington's 3-point percentage has been declining over the past few seasons.  I don't really care that PJ Washington was a good shooter 3 years ago.  His efficiency this season and last isn't good.  

Your point is valid but doesn't change my argument.  Deni is a much better player this season than PJ Washington.  We'd be trading for this season's iteration of either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
What are the chances we hold till the offseason for a trade and the Mavs trade 2 firsts for Jerami Grant and Thybulle?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 11:37 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: What are the chances we hold till the offseason for a trade and the Mavs trade 2 firsts for Jerami Grant and Thybulle?

I'd be ok with that trade.
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 11:37 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: What are the chances we hold till the offseason for a trade and the Mavs trade 2 firsts for Jerami Grant and Thybulle?

Who's your PF that can rebound then?
Like Reply
(01-27-2024, 12:32 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Who's your PF that can rebound then?

OMax.
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 12:00 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Stein has a piece out just now that says he’s told this deal may happen sooner than later.  He doesn’t think it will be any of the youngsters other than possibly Ivey.

Does Chicago really need Bogdanovic?  Seems silly from a talent standpoint.  Seems OK from a cap management standpoint, but is the smart play here to be a buyer in free agency?  If Stein is being told this might happen soon, is the whisper coming from Dallas?  Could we be in on Bogdanovic + (maybe Drummond or Caruso or Carter or something).  Dallas makes more sense for Bogdanovic that Chicago IMHO.

Actually, the deal should be Bogdanovic and Stewart coming to Dallas.  THJ/GWill to Chicago and LaVine to Detroit are the other main pieces.  Someone else can figure out the picks/youth necessary to make this work.  

Much depends on Chicago’s willingness to move on from LaVine.  It is being reported that no one wants him (which I find easy to believe).  I’m envisioning the DET/CHI part of this being worked out first.  Then Dallas deals with Chicago and compensates them for the difference between Bogdanovic/Stewart vs. THJ/GWill.  I have no idea what cost would be, but I feel strongly that I’d rather have Bog/Stew over THJ/GWill.

Edit:  There is an even simpler version of this where Dallas simply trades GWill or Holmes for Beef Stew and Bogdanovic sticks with Chicago and THJ isn’t part of the deal.
Like Reply
(01-27-2024, 09:07 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Actually, the deal should be Bogdanovic and Stewart coming to Dallas.  THJ/GWill to Chicago and LaVine to Detroit are the other main pieces.  Someone else can figure out the picks/youth necessary to make this work.  

Much depends on Chicago’s willingness to move on from LaVine.  It is being reported that no one wants him (which I find easy to believe).  I’m envisioning the DET/CHI part of this being worked out first.  Then Dallas deals with Chicago and compensates them for the difference between Bogdanovic/Stewart vs. THJ/GWill.  I have no idea what cost would be, but I feel strongly that I’d rather have Bog/Stew over THJ/GWill.

Edit:  There is an even simpler version of this where Dallas simply trades GWill or Holmes for Beef Stew and Bogdanovic sticks with Chicago and THJ isn’t part of the deal.
Really like the fit of both Bojan and Beef Stew

The problem on this deal to me is all the SG’s involved. I think we need THJ and Hardy outbound and another team values them for something to work. With Lavine headed to one of the few logical THJ locations and Chicago already having Caruso, Derozan, Ayo…..i think another team would need to get involved 

I would be fine including 27 in this deal. 

If we want to do something without the pick I could see PJ Washington + Richards as a cheaper option
Like Reply
Luka and Bojan as the forwards? With Kyrie at PG? And under-sized Beef Stew at Center, who can't really defend good perimeter players either?

I will feel quite badly for anyone who has to play defense alongside this group.

I will also feel quite badly for poor Jason Kidd, who will be put in a position where he will have to make possible the impossible, i.e., figure out how to make the team work on defense, which will be impossible, lol.

If y'all are trying to get Kidd fired by adding Bojan and Stewart to Luka and Kyrie though, welp, you might be on to something there.
Like Reply
(01-27-2024, 04:36 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: Luka and Bojan as the forwards? Together with Kyrie at PG? And under-sized Beef Stew at Center who can't really defend good perimeter players?

I will feel quite badly for anyone who has to play defense alongside this group.

I will also feel quite badly for poor Jason Kidd, who will be put in a position where he will have to make possible the impossible, i.e., figure out how to make the team work on defense, which will be impossible, lol.

If y'all are trying to get Kidd fired by adding Bojan and Stewart to Luka and Kyrie though, welp, you might be on to something there.

I think they're trying to get Bojan to replace the 6th man.

Stewart would be the PF, next to Lively the center. 

Stewart can guard well on the perimeter. It was one of the reasons why he's stuck around in this league.

Trouble in Hawk Land?

Some fan leaked his DM's with Dejounte Murray. Murray didn't have very nice things to say about the Hawks at all and basically confirms the disfunction.

He went and deleted his entire twitter after this to try and delete the DM's existence.

[Image: unf8g8i5hwec1.jpeg?width=409&auto=webp&s...0f46bbec10]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, MFFL, RGP1981
Like Reply
(01-27-2024, 04:47 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think they're trying to get Bojan to replace the 6th man.

Stewart can guard well on the perimeter. It was one of the reasons why he's stuck around in this league.

Okay, fair enough. So the starting 5 is Kyrie, Green, Luka, Stewart, Lively. With Exum, Bojan and DJJ as the main options off the bench.

That team sounds like it could match up well against Timberwolves, Lakers, 76ers, Bucks, Kings, Rockets and Jazz.

Against the cream of this year's crop though?

Celtics... who is guarding Tatum and Brown?

Suns... who is guarding Durant?

Nuggets... who is guarding MPJ?

Clippers... who is guarding Kawhi and PG3?

OKC... who is guarding SGA and Jaylen Williams?

Pacers... who guarding Siakam?
Like Reply
The idea is to improve the roster.

We won't be a finished product.
Like Reply
(01-27-2024, 04:47 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think they're trying to get Bojan to replace the 6th man.

Trouble in Hawk Land?

Some fan leaked his DM's with Dejounte Murray. Murray didn't have very nice things to say about the Hawks at all and basically confirms the disfunction.

He went and deleted his entire twitter after this to try and delete the DM's existence.

[Image: unf8g8i5hwec1.jpeg?width=409&auto=webp&s...0f46bbec10]

Hate to say so, but those complaints would only get worse if he played here in Dallas.
Like Reply
PJ Washington tonight...

2 rebounds in 36 minutes...

really
Like Reply
(01-27-2024, 10:12 PM)youzigizag Wrote: PJ Washington tonight...

2 rebounds in 36 minutes...

really

I thought the 43 pts on 17-22 FG stood out a little more.
[-] The following 4 users Like loki's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
PJ is a better rebounder than GW.
Despite those 2 rebs.
Like Reply
Outside of Luka, is there a single Maverick who could score 43 on 22 shots? I don’t think Hardaway could. Kyrie? I’m honestly not sure he could at this point.

Washington has something. I’m telling you guys.
Like Reply