Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(01-16-2024, 04:44 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: If you are not convinced that you can beat out Dwight Powell or Richaun Holmes for minutes, I don´t want you here. I somehow doubt that´s the reason Goga, Hartenstein, Wagner and company are not here right now. It´s the Mavs never made the proper moves. The minutes argument is completely crazy. Why are we even discussing C upgrades, when apparently our rotation is so strong that only Embiid and Jokic would even consider signing here in FA.  Big Grin

Why are you bringing up Hartenstein?  He wasn't available this offseason, and he cost more than we had when he was.  Wagner went for 8 mil.  Don't think this FO wanted to spend most of their MLE on a center when we already had Livey plus two others making over 10.  Powell at 4 mil made a ton of sense.  Goga turned out to be a great signing.  Good for them.  You act like there are a ton of Goga signings out there.  He was easily top 5 free agent signing of last offseason (we had two of those 5).  We were talking about bringing in a 5th center at the min.  In most cases that guy would spend most games with DNP, just like Holmes.
[-] The following 6 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MFFL, Reunion Mav, The Jom
Like Reply
Given what Cuban has said - someone over 6'8" who can dribble and rebound - we may very well be talking about a big man who can be played at C or PF. That's probably not Gafford since I don't see him as an optimal PF. He has played that position before, but that's a weird fit.

I see someone more like Isaiah Stewart or Wendall Carter as being better targets. Both of those players have been in the rumor mill with Dallas interest. They may be too expensive at present, but Dan laid out a couple of scenarios for WC in an earlier thread. PJ Washington stands about 6'7" and is not a premium rebounder - so I'm guessing that one is out.

I hate to lose THjs firepower, but that's probably the deal if the player is to have value.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
From The Atletic on what NY looks for in a Grimes trade (along with Fournier expiring), could be also willing to add a protected pick, most likely the Dallas pick:

It means the Knicks’ ideal trade candidate today fits the following criteria:

• Someone who Thibodeau trusts
• Someone on a tradeable salary
• Someone with at least one more year remaining after this one on his contract
• Someone who can run the offense when Brunson is hurt or resting

Some players who fit that description include (in no particular order): the Portland Trail Blazers’ Malcolm Brogdon, the Utah Jazz’s Jordan Clarkson and Collin Sexton, the Charlotte Hornets’ Terry Rozier, the Indiana Pacers’ Bruce Brown and T.J. McConnell, the Atlanta Hawks’ Bogdan Bogdanović, the Cleveland Cavaliers’ Caris LeVert and the Dallas Mavericks’ Tim Hardaway Jr.

I would be for this trade, if Mavs can make it a three team deal with Fournier expiring and picks going for a big wing.

https://theathletic.com/5205884/2024/01/...in-grimes/
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
Stein Notes:

One veteran team executive read my Sunday piece that wondered aloud about the Cavaliers pursuing a trade for Brooklyn’s Royce O’Neale and relayed that Cleveland indeed has O’Neale on its list of targets. Atlanta’s De’Andre Hunter is said to be another name to watch in Cleveland’s ongoing search for a 3-and-D upgrade — although absorbing Hunter’s contract (which has three seasons and $70 million left on it after this season) makes him a challenging payroll fit (and, frankly, difficult for the Hawks to trade anywhere).

League sources say that the Rockets also have a level of interest in Sacramento’s Harrison Barnes in their quest to add shooting.

It can certainly be argued that Collin Sexton and Kris Dunn have been the more impactful starters than Collins across this season-turning stretch, but the notion Utah is actively trying to move Collins, league sources say, has quieted down some in the wake of the success.

Word is that the Detroit Pistons, late in 2023 before the calendar flipped, did engage in some exploratory discussions with various teams about highly coveted veteran swingman Bojan Bogdanović.
Like Reply
(01-16-2024, 06:01 PM)Winter Wrote: Given what Cuban has said - someone over 6'8" who can dribble and rebound 

I hate to lose THjs firepower, but that's probably the deal if the player is to have value.

Kuzma can dribble better than most wings and bigs who are at least 6'9".
Kuzma averages 6 rebounds per game, better than Jerami Grant, DFS, Patrick Williams, Olynyk
Kuzma is a more dynamic scorer than THJ, Mavs wouldn't miss THJ's offense with Kuzma.

Let's break it down Kuzma allows the Mavs to have:
  • A PF with size and rebounding.
  • A THJ replacement who can pull-up from 3 the way THJ can, but in a bigger body and can guard bigger players THJ can't.
  • 3 dynamic scorers who can score at 3 levels.
  • 3 playmakers (4 if Exum is on the floor with them).
  • Works well with any of Lively, Maxi, Powell, GW paired with him.
[-] The following 2 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
https://x.com/shamscharania/status/17474...68649?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg
Like Reply
(01-16-2024, 08:28 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://x.com/shamscharania/status/17474...68649?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

At least he's staying in the East.
Like Reply
3 firsts. We were never in the game.

Did Bruce Brown just become available though?…
Like Reply
(01-16-2024, 08:20 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Kuzma can dribble better than most wings and bigs who are at least 6'9".
Kuzma averages 6 rebounds per game, better than Jerami Grant, DFS, Patrick Williams, Olynyk
Kuzma is a more dynamic scorer than THJ, Mavs wouldn't miss THJ's offense with Kuzma.

• A THJ replacement who can pull-up from 3 the way THJ can, but in a bigger body and can guard bigger players THJ can't.

I like Kuzma. But the Wizards are asking a lot for him. He'll be too expensive I think.
[-] The following 2 users Like Winter's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, mvossman
Like Reply
(01-16-2024, 06:01 PM)Winter Wrote: Given what Cuban has said - someone over 6'8" who can dribble and rebound - we may very well be talking about a big man who can be played at C or PF. That's probably not Gafford since I don't see him as an optimal PF. He has played that position before, but that's a weird fit.

I see someone more like Isaiah Stewart or Wendall Carter as being better targets. Both of those players have been in the rumor mill with Dallas interest. They may be too expensive at present, but Dan laid out a couple of scenarios for WC in an earlier thread. PJ Washington stands about 6'7" and is not a premium rebounder - so I'm guessing that one is out.

Is OMax bigger than 6’8”? 

And, does he dribble okay?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-16-2024, 08:20 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Kuzma can dribble better than most wings and bigs who are at least 6'9".

Kuzma is as bad (or worse) defensively as Timmy.
Kuzma takes same number of 3s as Timmy, but significantly worse percentage (and folks get annoyed with Timmy trigger)
Kuzma as a "playmaker" gets 4-5 assets per 36 but also 3 turnovers for a worse than 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.

The advanced stats say they are roughly same value on the court (they actually like Timmy a little better).  But because Kuzma puts up a bunch of counting stats on a crappy team, he is going to cost significantly more than Timmy.  It would be worth a discussion if it were an equal swap, but it wont be.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft, The Jom
Like Reply
(01-16-2024, 10:14 PM)mvossman Wrote: Kuzma is as bad (or worse) defensively as Timmy.
Kuzma takes same number of 3s as Timmy, but significantly worse percentage (and folks get annoyed with Timmy trigger)
Kuzma as a "playmaker" gets 4-5 assets per 36 but also 3 turnovers for a worse than 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.

The advanced stats say they are roughly same value on the court (they actually like Timmy a little better).  But because Kuzma puts up a bunch of counting stats on a crappy team, he is going to cost significantly more than Timmy.  It would be worth a discussion if it were an equal swap, but it wont be.

Kuzma is as bad (or worse) defensively as Timmy. - LOL NO, he did good in one of the play-offs he has been into, THJ doesn't have any defensive stretch like that, No comparison. And the fact that he is taller than THJ, he can defend better and doesn't have to contribute to the undersized lineups THJ has to pla into.

Kuzma takes same number of 3s as Timmy, but significantly worse percentage  - Kuzma can score in variety of ways better than THJ. And he is doing it as the main option in offense, which of course gathers more defensive attention. You want 3s, yes go for THJ, you want charges, go for THJ, everything else -- Nah I'd take Kuz.

Kuzma as a playmaker  - Kuzma can dish out when he needs to while being the top dude on his team. On the Mavs Kuzma doesn't need to play-make, but the ability is a welcome one rather than none at all.  Someone who can pass at the 4 spot is not taking away from someone who can pass from the 2 or 3 spot. THJ would most likely overlap with Exum, who btw is a superior player. Sure take THJ and hope he plays the 4. Kuz can play with the 3 of Luka-Ky and Exum.
Like Reply
(01-16-2024, 10:43 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Kuzma is as bad (or worse) defensively as Timmy. - LOL NO, he did good in one of the play-offs he has been into, THJ doesn't have any defensive stretch like that, No comparison. And the fact that he is taller than THJ, he can defend better and doesn't have to contribute to the undersized lineups THJ has to pla into.

Kuzma takes same number of 3s as Timmy, but significantly worse percentage  - Kuzma can score in variety of ways better than THJ. And he is doing it as the main option in offense, which of course gathers more defensive attention. You want 3s, yes go for THJ, you want charges, go for THJ, everything else -- Nah I'd take Kuz.

Kuzma as a playmaker  - Kuzma can dish out when he needs to while being the top dude on his team. On the Mavs Kuzma doesn't need to play-make, but the ability is a welcome one rather than none at all.  Someone who can pass at the 4 spot is not taking away from someone who can pass from the 2 or 3 spot. THJ would most likely overlap with Exum, who btw is a superior player. Sure take THJ and hope he plays the 4. Kuz can play with the 3 of Luka-Ky and Exum.

Agree to disagree.  I would not want to pay him 90 mil over the next 4 years regardless of asset price.
Like Reply
From the beginning Kuzma was the worst kind of gunner with the bad attitude to go with it. The Lakers got rid of him for good reason. He makes just enough shots to keep him shooting those bad shots. I would hate having to root for him. Those who get frustrated with Tim will be far more frustrated with Kuzma. I trust Nico and Mark. Kuzma will not be here

I’m not against turning Hardaway into a better player through trade. If Kuzma is all we can get now at a high cost, wait.
[-] The following 6 users Like Reunion Mav's post:
  • F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, MFFL, mvossman, Smitty, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
@TheDunkCentral
The Brooklyn Nets are showing interest in Dejounte Murray, per @NetsDaily
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Gafford, Avdija, and Tyus Jones are the only people I want off the Wizards
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
(01-16-2024, 06:41 PM)omahen Wrote: Some players who fit that description include (in no particular order): the Dallas Mavericks’ Tim Hardaway Jr.

I would be for this trade, if Mavs can make it a three team deal with Fournier expiring and picks going for a big wing.

https://theathletic.com/5205884/2024/01/...in-grimes/

I would so be for this trade too. 

THJ + Hardy + Dwight... for Grimes + Sims + Fournier

Then, if possible, re-route Fournier elsewhere, cause he sukks too.

Bye Timmeh! Bye Dwight!
Like Reply
The author covers Houston in this article. Mentiones they might need a back-up center (Landale has been bad). Quote:

"Three names I’ll be monitoring more closely as the weeks progress are Washington’s Gafford, Atlanta’s Clint Capela and Dallas’ Richaun Holmes, three big men who are seemingly attainable at the right price. "

Not sure how he sees Holmes as valuable, as his on-court production is limited, while both Gafford and Capela are solid centers. He then discusses Tate and mentiones him as a contract that could be moved. Another obvious contract is Landale. Both would be great from Dallas perspective, as Tate has a team option for next season and Landale is not guaranteed past this season. Meaning, Mavs would get huge flexibility to either trade them or let them go for free.

Holmes for Tate and Landale, perhaps add a second rounder or two. Tate is not big, but he plays stronger. Mavs get a wing which you can never have too many and flexibility for next season. If there is nothing better around to use Holmes contract, this would be a move it could make a lot of sense imho.

https://theathletic.com/5179533/2024/01/...s-rockets/
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(01-17-2024, 06:55 AM)omahen Wrote: Holmes for Tate and Landale, perhaps add a second rounder or two. Tate is not big, but he plays stronger. Mavs get a wing which you can never have too many and flexibility for next season. If there is nothing better around to use Holmes contract, this would be a move it could make a lot of sense imho.

https://theathletic.com/5179533/2024/01/...ies-rocket

Getting off Holmes and not needing to attach an asset to do it, would be a win.

But if we can actually get a playable piece such as Tate then we should do that yesterday.  I hope we get that lucky.
[-] The following 2 users Like Nowitzki Way's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Mavs2021
Like Reply
(01-16-2024, 10:00 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Is OMax bigger than 6’8”? 

And, does he dribble okay?

While I wish Omax was ready, he's probably not. He's 6'8" and can dribble, but if he was the guy the Mavs need, he'd be playing every game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply