Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Booker Likes NYK? Vogel Out? Suns Imploding?
Question? Can Hayward be sent to Tor in a Siakam trade, be bought out and signed by Dal?

If so, that’s the Siakam deal I’m looking for.
Like Reply
All I got is that our whole roster is virtually build on draft picks and minimum signings. Not sure why everybody gets excited about trading. Big Grin 

That usually does not work for us. Arguably the worst signing of the off-season was Grant Williams, which worst case could cost us a high 1st round pick.  Another to add to the list of Josh Richardson, Delon Wright and company.

(01-09-2024, 08:36 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Question? Can Hayward be sent to Tor in a Siakam trade, be bought out and signed by Dal?

If so, that’s the Siakam deal I’m looking for.

How was the Hayward/Kyrie fallout in Boston. Not sure Hayward would be that interested to re-kindle that relationship.
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 08:39 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: All I got is that our whole roster is virtually build on draft picks and minimum signings. Not sure why everybody gets excited about trading. Big Grin 

That usually does not work for us. Arguably the worst signing of the off-season was Grant Williams, which worst case could cost us a high 1st round pick.  Another to add to the list of Josh Richardson, Delon Wright and company.

How was the Hayward/Kyrie fallout in Boston. Not sure Hayward would be that interested to re-kindle that relationship.

My recollection is that Kyrie and Hayward had a good bond. Share the same birthday one year apart. I thought Hayward had issues with Tatum and Brown.  Could be misremembering, though.
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 05:51 PM)omahen Wrote: Not sure what exactly he said, but this aggregate says they are one of four teams in run for Siakam

All Things Mavs on X: "Dallas has emerged as one of the western conference contenders that is continuously on the phone trying to make a move, per @JakeLFischer. They are shopping Richaun Holmes & Tim Hardaway Jr." / X (twitter.com)

I would not understand what shopping Holmes would mean. Really confused by wording. Mavs are not stupid and they know Holmes has zero value around the league. No one will take that contract unless you take back even worse contract or you attach assets to it. So if you want a serious player, what you really shop is assets, not Holmes. Unless you are just pretending to be shopping Smile

Interesting.  When I saw the Fisher quote, it wasn’t associated with Siakam like the tweet you posted.  So, my mind went to PF’s in the mid $20mm range where we are reducing salary (kind of like what Jom posted as there are several candidates in that range on the market).  

If I had seen the tweet you posted above, my mind would have done the same thing.  Vegas has apparently done the same thing as Dallas is now the favorite for Siakam at +150.  I like the angles people are taking with the Pistons and Magic potentially having interest in THJ.  When I click the link to your Fanspo trade nothing comes up.  I’m interested in what you posted.  One thing of note…THJ and Holmes misses the mark by a few hundred thousand dollars.  So, if it is the two of them for Siakam, then some salary has to be added.  
Below is my stab at the Detroit version of this.  So that Killer doesn’t have a conniption, Killian is only here as expiring money to help with the DJJ retention.  I believe the Dallas outgoing matches the Siakam max and expiring Hayes gets you that much further below the apron (solving FG’s concerns). I do think this costs the unprotected 2027 and I’m happy to pay it.

Detroit out:  Stewart/Hayes. In:  THJ/Temple
Dallas out:  GWill/THJ/Holmes/2027. In:  Siakam/Hayes
Toronto out:  Siakam/Temple. In:  Stewart/GWill/Holmes/2027

Dallas stays under the tax by $500k.  We might need to find a team willing to take Holmes for a second (I mentioned Washington has a TPE that would absorb him).  Toronto ends up with two useful players for the here and now and the Dallas pick.  Detroit gets a useful vet/local hero in THJ and a locker room stud in Temple while moving on from guys who have been on the block for them.  Dallas gets its third star and still has plenty to put around them.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MFFL, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Absolutely not a first half overreaction but...

Smart + Tillman --> THJ + Hardy + pick swap
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 09:18 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Interesting.  When I saw the Fisher quote, it wasn’t associated with Siakam like the tweet you posted.  So, my mind went to PF’s in the mid $20mm range where we are reducing salary (kind of like what Jom posted as there are several candidates in that range on the market).  

If I had seen the tweet you posted above, my mind would have done the same thing.  Vegas has apparently done the same thing as Dallas is now the favorite for Siakam at +150.  I like the angles people are taking with the Pistons and Magic potentially having interest in THJ.  When I click the link to your Fanspo trade nothing comes up.  I’m interested in what you posted.  One thing of note…THJ and Holmes misses the mark by a few hundred thousand dollars.  So, if it is the two of them for Siakam, then some salary has to be added.  
Below is my stab at the Detroit version of this.  So that Killer doesn’t have a conniption, Killian is only here as expiring money to help with the DJJ retention.  I believe the Dallas outgoing matches the Siakam max and expiring Hayes gets you that much further below the apron (solving FG’s concerns). I do think this costs the unprotected 2027 and I’m happy to pay it.

Detroit out:  Stewart/Hayes. In:  THJ/Temple
Dallas out:  GWill/THJ/Holmes/2027. In:  Siakam/Hayes
Toronto out:  Siakam/Temple. In:  Stewart/GWill/Holmes/2027

Dallas stays under the tax by $500k.  We might need to find a team willing to take Holmes for a second (I mentioned Washington has a TPE that would absorb him).  Toronto ends up with two useful players for the here and now and the Dallas pick.  Detroit gets a useful vet/local hero in THJ and a locker room stud in Temple while moving on from guys who have been on the block for them.  Dallas gets its third star and still has plenty to put around them.

I was just playing with salaries. Detroit got THJ and Holmes, sent Harris and Stewart to Toronto that also got Hardy.
Like Reply
Hopefully Canada doesn’t get nba tv. Might sour them on our Grant Williams, Josh green, Holmes, thj offer. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Mavs get:
Kuzma
Gafford

Magic get:
Hardaway

Wizards get:
Gary Harris
Josh Green
Holmes
Hardy
Mavs 27 FRP
Two Magic 2nds

Lively/Gafford
Kuzma/GWill
DJJ/Omax
Kyrie/Curry
Luka/Exum

Plus whatever we get from Maxi
Like Reply
I woud do a small trade, to get a backup big that can play some like Homes +2 seconds for Olynyk, and save first rounders to get Markannen this summer imao he is the best fit out of every1 that is available and he is close to Lukas age, he is still on great contract next year and i dont think he woud demand a max like Siakam. We coud even find a way to resign DJJ, if we shed Maxi (imao his nba career is done) and THJ while trading for Lauri.
Like Reply
Pascal Siakam is seeking a full term max contract and doesn’t view Sacramento as a good long term fit, per @sam_amick

“Siakam is seeking a full-term, max-salary deal no matter where he ultimately lands. And while Siakam has not asked for a trade, the sources say he doesn’t view the Kings as a good long-term fit if the Raptors choose to move him.”
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-10-2024, 12:38 PM)Donis Wrote: I woud do a small trade, to get a backup big that can play some like Homes +2 seconds for Olynyk, and save first rounders to  get Markannen this summer imao he is the best  fit out of every1 that is available and he is close to Lukas age, he is still on great contract next year and i dont think he woud demand a max  like Siakam. We coud even find a way  to resign DJJ, if we shed Maxi (imao his nba career is done) and THJ while trading for  Lauri.

I don't mind the idea of working around the edges, but I think any trade with Utah is going to come at a hefty cost.

Olynyk is going to cost more than a bad contract and 2 2nds, and I think Lauri will cost at least 4 FRP. Is he really even worth it at that cost? Probably, but is he worth it over Siakam at maybe 1 FRP? That I'm not so sure. 

Lauri is definitely going to command a max too so its a push money wise between him and Siakam.

I'm not ready to write Maxi off just yet. He absolutely looked cooked early on, but maybe he was out of shape? He's had a rough couple of seasons. I will say I was staunchly against trading Maxi for anything short of a star this past summer, but now I'm more than willing to move on from him as long as the Mavs get a rotation player in return.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-10-2024, 01:25 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't mind the idea of working around the edges, but I think any trade with Utah is going to come at a hefty cost.

"Don't trade with Ainge!" is just as important a rule as "Don't Google Fournier!"
[-] The following 4 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, MFFL, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(01-10-2024, 12:55 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Pascal Siakam is seeking a full term max contract and doesn’t view Sacramento as a good long term fit, per @sam_amick

“Siakam is seeking a full-term, max-salary deal no matter where he ultimately lands. And while Siakam has not asked for a trade, the sources say he doesn’t view the Kings as a good long-term fit if the Raptors choose to move him.”

I don't think he's worth the max these days. I wouldn't mind having him, but not at a max contract.
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 09:18 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: One thing of note…THJ and Holmes misses the mark by a few hundred thousand dollars.  So, if it is the two of them for Siakam, then some salary has to be added.

--------
Dallas stays under the tax by $500k. 

-------
We might need to find a team willing to take Holmes for a second (I mentioned Washington has a TPE that would absorb him).

I've been thinking about an important factor that needs to be noted in Mavs trade ideas. Your points above fit with what I was wanting to point out.

In building trade ideas, we need to keep in mind - and you obviously have been doing so - that the Mavs are virtually certain to be uninterested in any swap that takes them over the tax line. So while in theory a trade's match has a 25% leeway, in reality we're looking at a lower limit.

For example, using your THJ/Holmes note above that falls short of the LEAGUE rules, it falls much shorter of what would be the Mavs' rules. 

The Mavs are about $3.46M under the tax, and will leave themselves a small cushion, so I would think their trade limit would be a salary increase of $2.5-$3.0M overall. That would leave them $0.5-1.0M under the tax line, in case they have a need later to sign someone due to injury (or, think of buyouts).

THJ/Holmes totals $29.94M, while PS is $37.89M, a difference of about $8M. So while it would only take another $0.3M in outgoing salary to satisfy the CBA, it would take way more outgoing to allow the Mavs payroll total to end up under the tax line, which I would presume is a non-negotiable for them. The same is true with other trades, not just PS.

There are two other moving parts to consider in this limit:

1 The Mavs can do multiple trades, to juggle salary to get to the desired result.

2 The number of players coming, vs those going, will have to be accounted for.

Every extra player incoming (vs outgoing) will create a need to add another player to the payroll. The cost to refill the roster also varies depending on the signing date, which might effect the timing of a trade - a player signed now would cost about 54% of the minimum, and at/just after the trade deadline would cost about 40% of the minimum. We also should keep in mind that the Mavs might want to have room for signing an after-deadline buyout. To give an idea of what they will cost, the full-year minimum for a 2-yr-plus veteran is about $2M, and is about $1.1M for a rookie.

Obviously if they could find a team to take Holmes for a 2nd, as you propose, that would make the payroll math easy. And it would also solve the current obstacles in having a path to re-sign DJJ in the summer. While I would hope for Holmes to serve as cap filler in a trade, or to trade him with a pick for a needed player, I see a salary dump as helpful, if one can be found.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
[Image: 1744852876109763019.jpg?ex=65b041e5&is=6...height=676]
Like Reply
(01-10-2024, 11:18 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Mavs get:
Kuzma
Gafford

I didnt even read the rest of the post. If we can somehow get Kuzma and Gafford i'm all the way in.
Like Reply
The Miami Heat are interested in Donovan Mitchell, per @TheSteinLine

“The Miami Heat, league sources say, continue to have bona fide interest in Mitchell despite Cleveland’s don’t-even-call-us approach and could well choose to test that resolve with Mitchell proposals after Miami’s trade pursuits of Bradley Beal and Damian Lillard over the summer ended with neither player landing on South Beach.”
Like Reply
(01-10-2024, 01:44 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: 1744852876109763019.jpg?ex=65b041e5&is=6...height=676]
So it´s Memphis, cause 

1. It makes absolutely no sense with their season and JJ/Adams/Aldama.
2. No money to be made by bookies with bets on them.

How are they in there.
Like Reply
We are more good than bad when Lively is present. In a few years as he progresses the good nights will be more.

More than anything else we need a solid backup center who can run, switch, and defend. I will live with offensive shortcomings. I will live with the other issues on our roster.

We need a defensive centerpiece all the time on the floor while Kyrie and Luka are on the same team. That one piece makes us much more dangerous.
Like Reply
Biyombo just got waived...
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply