Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(01-05-2024, 11:21 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Most Warrior fans are on Kuminga and Moodys side. 

Kerr will ride or die with his vets. Klay isn’t the same guy. Wiggins has been awful. Draymond is a crazy person. 

Thats why I think Bob Myers left. He saw this shit coming.

I bet Klay really regrets turning down 2/48 last summer. He'll be lucky to get half that after this season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-05-2024, 10:47 PM)omahen Wrote: Looks like Sacramento is not that enthusiastic about mortgaging their future for a possible rental.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status...37427?s=46&t=Ofn9ihgBPdBFQJpnkEDS0A

@ShamsCharania
The Sacramento Kings are deciding to pull out of the Pascal Siakam talks, sources say. Things can be fluid, but Kings-Raptors talks are now over.

I think either Siakam said he's not resigning there no matter what which killed the deal. OR Masai is asking for guys like Keegan Murray to be included, which is ludicrous for the Kings to do.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Games like last night make me think it´s not time to make a Cuban decision yet (trading all the youth for a borderline wildcard aging All-Star). Imho the young ones show enough in the games without Luka that they can retain their trade value throughout the summer. Other/rebuilding teams don´t care how Green/Hardy play in the Luka-verse. They care about the games they play freely with more pace and space. Also encouraged by Brown´s play. He got a lot of tools, but he seems to be another Edward Fumblehands.

Charlotte is sneakly 2-13 in their last 15 games. Washington continues to play poorly, tanking his trade value. I have to give up Kleber, Williams or Holmes + two 2nd round picks, that seems a lot more interesting than Green, Hardy and a 1st for Siakam. Washington is younger, cost-controlled and no flight risk.

WCJ should be very available, too. If we can flip Williams, Kleber and Curry for Washington/WCJ, I´d roll with that for the season.

Doncic/Exum/Hardy
Irving/Green/Lawson
DJJ/THJ/
Washington/Omax/Morris
Lively/WCJ/Powell/Holmes
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Marc Stein random tid bits

Sources with knowledge of the Hawks’ thinking indicated Friday that A) Atlanta is actively exploring all Dejounte Murray trade possibilities that could well dissolve Murray’s backcourt partnership with Trae Young after just a season-and-a-half together and B) Atlanta is determined to, as one source described it, “build around Trae and Jalen Johnson” going forward under new coach Quin Snyder.

Philadelphia is routinely tossed out there as a likely trade bidder for Chicago’s Zach LaVine or Toronto’s Pascal Siakam, but a source with knowledge of the team’s thinking told me again this week that the Sixers should not be expected to pursue either player between now and Feb. 8.

League sources say that one definite in Salt Lake City is that the Jazz have continued to explore trade options for offseason acquisition John Collins, whose picture featured in our Thursday piece about the slew of wild scores seen Wednesday night.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-06-2024, 04:33 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Charlotte is sneakly 2-13 in their last 15 games. Washington continues to play poorly, tanking his trade value. I have to give up Kleber, Williams or Holmes + two 2nd round picks, that seems a lot more interesting than Green, Hardy and a 1st for Siakam. Washington is younger, cost-controlled and no flight risk.

WCJ should be very available, too. If we can flip Williams, Kleber and Curry for Washington/WCJ, I´d roll with that for the season.

Doncic/Exum/Hardy
Irving/Green/Lawson
DJJ/THJ/
Washington/Omax/Morris
Lively/WCJ/Powell/Holmes

I'd be thrilled with Williams+2nds for PJ, but I don't think that's enough value for Charlotte to justify the downgrade. What if they could also turn Richards into WCJ? I think Richards might be a better fit for the Mavs anyway at less than half the cost.

Dallas: PJ, Richards, Ingles
Charlotte: WCJ, Williams, Dal 2nds
Orlando: THJ, Powell

Something like this would also put the Mavs in good position to re-sign DJJ next summer.

Doncic/Exum
Irving/Hardy
DJJ/Green/Ingles
PJ/Omax or Maxi
Lively/Richards
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-06-2024, 11:44 AM)loki Wrote: I'd be thrilled with Williams+2nds for PJ, but I don't think that's enough value for Charlotte to justify the downgrade. What if they could also turn Richards into WCJ? I think Richards might be a better fit for the Mavs anyway at less than half the cost.

Dallas: PJ, Richards, Ingles
Charlotte: WCJ, Williams, Dal 2nds
Orlando: THJ, Powell

Something like this would also put the Mavs in good position to re-sign DJJ next summer.

Doncic/Exum
Irving/Hardy
DJJ/Green/Ingles
PJ/Omax or Maxi
Lively/Richards

That's a thing of beauty. Make it happen, Nico and Lindsay!!
Like Reply
[Image: fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap_1-6-2024_1...height=676]

Stealing this from Tyler. I really like this trade. Especially since this guy Cowley just posted this:

The Sacramento Kings and Golden State Warriors are two teams to monitor on the Zach LaVine trade market, per @JCowleyHoops

“Keep an eye on Sacramento and Golden State as they battle with inconsistency and tough roster decisions, and then there’s always the unforeseen injury that could happen to a team with deep playoff aspirations. In other words, a quiet market today could become very loud tomorrow or in the upcoming weeks.”
Like Reply
(01-06-2024, 02:42 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap_1-6-2024_1...height=676]

Stealing this from Tyler. I really like this trade. Especially since this guy Cowley just posted this:

The Sacramento Kings and Golden State Warriors are two teams to monitor on the Zach LaVine trade market, per @JCowleyHoops

“Keep an eye on Sacramento and Golden State as they battle with inconsistency and tough roster decisions, and then there’s always the unforeseen injury that could happen to a team with deep playoff aspirations. In other words, a quiet market today could become very loud tomorrow or in the upcoming weeks.”

Yuck. That trade leaves out the two FRPs we'd better be receiving for taking on Wiggins's horrendous contract.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • Mapka
Like Reply
(01-06-2024, 02:42 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap_1-6-2024_1...height=676]

A good exercise for successful fantasy trading is to fact check how often you give up valuable assets for players that have previously been traded or signed for f*** all as distressed assets. And then instead of fantasy paying 2-4 1st round picks for these rebuild players, you should look for players in similar places (Washington, WCJ, Ayton, Capela, Bagley III....) that regularly get sh*t from the public/press.
Like Reply
Everyone is saying now, that Atlanta strategy has changed and they want to be sellers. Looking for young players and picks. This means their young players and picks are off the table and they have little interest in guys like THJ.

I would be interested in Murray, but I don't think we have the ammo.
Hunter is a theoretical 2-way wing, but hasn't been all that good, is injured a lot and is not a PF. Price would likely be a FRP, so I am not interested.
I have no interest in Bey, as the word is that he is a very weak defender.
Bogi is good, but not really a big upgrade over THJ.

This leaves Capela. I think he is very much a center we could use. I know I have been against minor moves before a trade for big wing is realized, but this one is a bit different. Capela is overpayed to an extent, but will be expiring next season and will have value to teams. Salaries I would consider for him are THJ, Holmes, Maxi, Curry, Hardy and Green. THJ is probably more valuable than him, but Atlanta probably isn't interested in him anyway. Holmes and Maxi would be great from Mavs perspective, as both don't play and none is expiring. Capela would be a huge upgrade. But, Holmes and Maxi are such negative contracts, that 2 SRP wouldn't be enough to motivate the seller, imho.

What I would consider would be Hardy and 2 SRP as assets. Remaining salaries would be either Holmes+Maxi or Holmes+Curry, with Atlanta also sending Garrison Mathews. Mavs get another center they need, that is movable (as a decent contract) either in the summer or next year TDL. Or Mavs can choose to resign him for another contract. They also dump at least one bad contract while keeping most of flexibility for the summer. Perhaps even increasing flexibility, as he will be a playable expiring contract, while Holmes is just salary filler.

Edit: only interested in Capela if big wing trade is not available at TDL
Like Reply
(01-07-2024, 05:38 AM)omahen Wrote: Everyone is saying now, that Atlanta strategy has changed and they want to be sellers.

This leaves Capela. I think he is very much a center we could use. I know I have been against minor moves before a trade for big wing is realized, but this one is a bit different. Capela is overpayed to an extent, but will be expiring next season and will have value to teams.  Holmes and Maxi would be great from Mavs perspective, as both don't play and none is expiring. Capela would be a huge upgrade. But, Holmes and Maxi are such negative contracts, that 2 SRP wouldn't be enough to motivate the seller, imho.

What I would consider would be Hardy and 2 SRP as assets.

Welcome to the dark side.  I’m not sure Hardy is a great fit next to Trae, but who knows what they will look like post-Murray.

I saw something similar on another site, but their deal was Holmes/Maxi/2027 for Capela.  Didn’t specify unprotected, but with the outgoing salary Atlanta would be eating, I’d assume it would be unprotected or very lightly protected.  Atlanta doesn’t currently have a 2027 pick, so a swap doesn’t work.

Such a deal would have the benefits you’ve outlined plus some others.  Capela makes about $1.6mm less than the Holmes/Maxi combo in 24/25 (getting you a little further under the apron).  You’d also be further under the tax in 23/24 and might be able to use the rest of the MLE and still be under the tax in the current season.  Atlanta has a $23mm TPE.  If you structure a deal that matches by itself (like Holmes/Hardy) then anything else you send creates a TPE for Dallas (so, Maxi’s inclusion would create an $11mm TPE).  

48 minutes of strong center play has always appealed to me.  I also like some of the side benefits listed above.  But, Hardy and seconds seems light on the Atlanta side and the 2027 pick seems like too much (even lightly protected).  

What would we pay to get to:

Lively, DJJ, Green, Irving, Luka
Capela, OMax, GWill, THJ, Exum
Like Reply
(01-07-2024, 08:31 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Welcome to the dark side.  I’m not sure Hardy is a great fit next to Trae, but who knows what they will look like post-Murray.

I saw something similar on another site, but their deal was Holmes/Maxi/2027 for Capela.  Didn’t specify unprotected, but with the outgoing salary Atlanta would be eating, I’d assume it would be unprotected or very lightly protected.  Atlanta doesn’t currently have a 2027 pick, so a swap doesn’t work.

Such a deal would have the benefits you’ve outlined plus some others.  Capela makes about $1.6mm less than the Holmes/Maxi combo in 24/25 (getting you a little further under the apron).  You’d also be further under the tax in 23/24 and might be able to use the rest of the MLE and still be under the tax in the current season.  Atlanta has a $23mm TPE.  If you structure a deal that matches by itself (like Holmes/Hardy) then anything else you send creates a TPE for Dallas (so, Maxi’s inclusion would create an $11mm TPE).  

48 minutes of strong center play has always appealed to me.  I also like some of the side benefits listed above.  But, Hardy and seconds seems light on the Atlanta side and the 2027 pick seems like too much (even lightly protected).  

What would we pay to get to:

Lively, DJJ, Green, Irving, Luka
Capela, OMax, GWill, THJ, Exum

Thanks for the input.  Hardy role in Atlanta would be 6th man. I agree Hardy and 2 SRP seems light. But, I am not interested in 2027 pick for a back-up center and salary dump, it would impact our flexibility too much, imho. Perhaps, if we get a lottery protected future pick back.

Green might be someone Atlanta would have more interest in, as he is a better fit next to Trae. Holmes+Green straight up? We keep our flexibility going forward and Exum/DJJ take point of attack defender minutes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(01-07-2024, 08:44 AM)omahen Wrote: Thanks for the input.  Hardy role in Atlanta would be 6th man. I agree Hardy and 2 SRP seems light. But, I am not interested in 2027 pick for a back-up center and salary dump, it would impact our flexibility too much, imho. Perhaps, if we get a lottery protected future pick back.

Green might be someone Atlanta would have more interest in, as he is a better fit next to Trae. Holmes+Green straight up? We keep our flexibility going forward and Exum/DJJ take point of attack defender minutes.

I wouldn’t go there.  The lineups where Green plays without THJ work very well.  Between Luka, Kyrie, Exum and Green you have something to build on in the back court.

The things that have to be fixed (mainly defensively) are the non-Lively minutes, most of the THJ minutes and most of the GWill minutes.  82games breaks down O-Rating/D-Rating by position played and also lets you look at the top 20 lineups to see who is in with a player when they play those positions.  It is really hard to find THJ lineups that play any D.  It is really really bad.  He’s one of five guys, so it isn’t all on him, but you can at least find lineups that work with the other guys.

If you could shore up the non-Lively minutes with this deal and shed THJ for just about anything useful, you dramatically improve the D and dramatically improve our prospects.  The core that works is Luka, Kyrie, Green, Exum, DJJ, Lively and (Non-Lively minutes filler) and (THJ Replacement).  You’d like OMax to eventually join that group.  To me, everyone else is fair game.  I wonder if putting GWill in a deal instead of either Maxi or Holmes does anything for Atlanta.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • loki
Like Reply
(01-07-2024, 08:44 AM)omahen Wrote: Hardy role in Atlanta would be 6th man. 

I doubt that Atlanta would be interested in Hardy because they just drafted Bufkin
Like Reply
(01-07-2024, 09:36 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I wouldn’t go there.  The lineups where Green plays without THJ work very well.  Between Luka, Kyrie, Exum and Green you have something to build on in the back court.

The things that have to be fixed (mainly defensively) are the non-Lively minutes, most of the THJ minutes and most of the GWill minutes.  82games breaks down O-Rating/D-Rating by position played and also lets you look at the top 20 lineups to see who is in with a player when they play those positions.  It is really hard to find THJ lineups that play any D.  It is really really bad.  He’s one of five guys, so it isn’t all on him, but you can at least find lineups that work with the other guys.

If you could shore up the non-Lively minutes with this deal and shed THJ for just about anything useful, you dramatically improve the D and dramatically improve our prospects.  The core that works is Luka, Kyrie, Green, Exum, DJJ, Lively and (Non-Lively minutes filler) and (THJ Replacement).  You’d like OMax to eventually join that group.  To me, everyone else is fair game.  I wonder if putting GWill in a deal instead of either Maxi or Holmes does anything for Atlanta.

GW is certainly a better contract then Maxi or Holmes, but Mavs would be left with DJJ as their only PF after the trade. And he is very small for the position. They would have a really hard time against any big team and any team with a very good PF. There are plenty of those in the West.

GW doesn't look like a long term solution and I wouldn't mind moving him, but only if another PF comes back
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(01-07-2024, 09:52 AM)omahen Wrote: GW is certainly a better contract then Maxi or Holmes, but Mavs would be left with DJJ as their only PF after the trade. And he is very small for the position. They would have a really hard time against any big team and any team with a very good PF. There are plenty of those in the West.

GW doesn't look like a long term solution and I wouldn't mind moving him, but only if another PF comes back

Maybe the path is getting a PF from whoever Atlanta sends Murray to.  For instance, if Dallas joins in a Murray to LAL deal, maybe we end up with Rui and Capela.  LA gets Murray and GWill and Atlanta gets picks from LA and Dallas and some crap contracts from both.  If Atlanta wants to build around Johnson, Hachimura isn’t critical to them.  But, he brings more to the table than GWill.
Like Reply
(01-07-2024, 08:31 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: 48 minutes of strong center play has always appealed to me.  I also like some of the side benefits listed above.  But, Hardy and seconds seems light on the Atlanta side and the 2027 pick seems like too much (even lightly protected). 

I feel like if we could get ATL an
expiring contract, the trade for Capela gets easier. Something like

DAL - Capela 
ATL - G. Harris
ORL - THJ

You can add 2nds if needed, and maybe explore adding Holmes to the deal, sending him to ATL.
Like Reply
(01-07-2024, 11:55 AM)SamStetz Wrote: I feel like if we could get ATL an
expiring contract, the trade for Capela gets easier. Something like

DAL - Capela 
ATL - G. Harris
ORL - THJ

You can add 2nds if needed, and maybe explore adding Holmes to the deal, sending him to ATL.

I'm not sure if I would do this trade, but that's about what Capela is worth (I would go one 2nd, max) so it's a fair suggestion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(01-07-2024, 10:32 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Maybe the path is getting a PF from whoever Atlanta sends Murray to.  For instance, if Dallas joins in a Murray to LAL deal, maybe we end up with Rui and Capela.  LA gets Murray and GWill and Atlanta gets picks from LA and Dallas and some crap contracts from both.  If Atlanta wants to build around Johnson, Hachimura isn’t critical to them.  But, he brings more to the table than GWill.

Actually, the way I’d do this is this:

LAL:  Rui/JHS/Unprotected 2027 out…Murray in
DAL:  THJ/Holmes/Top 3 protected 2027 out…Rui/Capela in
ATL:  Murray/Capela out…THJ/Holmes/JHS/2027-LAL/2027-DAL in

Capela and Rui are both Wasserman.  Murray puts another Klutch guy in LA.  Reeves stays out of the deal, but LA’s pick is unprotected and JHS has more size than someone like Hardy.  Dallas has all sorts of wings in Rui, OMax, GWill, DJJ, Exum and Green to mix and match with 48 minutes of center and 70 minutes of Luka/Kyrie.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(01-07-2024, 12:40 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Actually, the way I’d do this is this:

LAL:  Rui/JHS/Unprotected 2027 out…Murray in
DAL:  THJ/Holmes/Top 3 protected 2027 out…Rui/Capela in
ATL:  Murray/Capela out…THJ/Holmes/JHS/2027-LAL/2027-DAL in

Capela and Rui are both Wasserman.  Murray puts another Klutch guy in LA.  Reeves stays out of the deal, but LA’s pick is unprotected and JHS has more size than someone like Hardy.  Dallas has all sorts of wings in Rui, OMax, GWill, DJJ, Exum and Green to mix and match with 48 minutes of center and 70 minutes of Luka/Kyrie.

I feel like LA needs to add more to that, unless ATL absolutely loves JHS. I would also want better protections for our pick than top-3. Capela is a great backup center but he is still a back up center that gets paid a lot. 

Also, Hachimura is owed 17 & and then 18m after this season. I feel like he would be a placeholder and possibly blocking Omax path.
Like Reply