Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
Here’s a stab at it:

GSW gets THJ, Holmes and Hardy
Utah gets Moody
Dallas gets Wiggins and Olynyk

Saw a GSW site that outlined trades for Wiggins and they had GS giving up assets with Wiggins in all of their deals.  Their idea was Holmes/THJ for Wiggins/Moody.  I simply added Hardy (because of the posted trade rumor) and sent Moody to Utah and Olynyk to Dallas.

Lively/Olynyk
DJJ/GWill
Wiggins
Kyrie/Green
Luka/Exum
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ballsrchr, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Wiggins does not have that dawg in him. He was great during that one title run but the rest of his career has been a guy going through the motions. I wouldn’t want to be saddled with that contract.

He’s also a CAA guy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-03-2024, 09:30 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Here’s a stab at it:

GSW gets THJ, Holmes and Hardy
Utah gets Moody
Dallas gets Wiggins and Olynyk

Saw a GSW site that outlined trades for Wiggins and they had GS giving up assets with Wiggins in all of their deals.  Their idea was Holmes/THJ for Wiggins/Moody.  I simply added Hardy (because of the posted trade rumor) and sent Moody to Utah and Olynyk to Dallas.

Lively/Olynyk
DJJ/GWill
Wiggins
Kyrie/Green
Luka/Exum

I am scared to death of Wiggins, his contract and motivation, but philosophically, this is a trade I could get behind. The concept of the team remaining makes sense to me.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, rocky164, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Hardy hasn't played tonight. Holmes is out for personal reasons. Hmmm.

OK, carry on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
I'd do this trade and not think twice about it. Seems fair for everyone.
Like Reply
ThatOneMavsFan (19-15)
@that1mavsfan
Full trade details:

Mavericks receive:
-Andrew Wiggins
-2025 first round pick (via Jazz)

Jazz receive:
-Kevon Looney
-Maxi Kleber
-Moses Moody
-2028 second round pick (via Miami)

Warriors receive:
-John Collins
-Kelly Olynyk
-Kris Dunn
-Richaun Holmes
-Jaden Hardy

ThatOneMavsFan (19-15)
@that1mavsfan
·
3h
Alright 35k views and 120 likes in and it’s time to admit

I AM NOT AN ACTUAL INSIDER

This post is a joke

I am just a fan account for the Mavericks

Pls don’t trust everything you see and make sure to check if someone is actually an insider
Like Reply
Russell and Hachimura both sitting for LAL tonight.
Like Reply
ThatOneMavsFan (19-15) (@that1mavsfan)
WOW.

My source from The Athletic confirms the Mavericks, Warriors and Jazz are working on a deal which would send Andrew Wiggins to the Mavericks.

The deal would send Hardy, Holmes and a second to the Warriors.

More details to come soon.

Full trade details:

Mavericks receive:
-Andrew Wiggins

Jazz receive:
-Kevon Looney
-Maxi Kleber
-Moses Moody

Warriors receive:
-John Collins
-Kelly Olynyk
-Kris Dunn
-Richaun Holmes
-Jaden Hardy
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-04-2024, 01:21 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Full trade details:

Mavericks receive:
-Andrew Wiggins

Jazz receive:
-Kevon Looney
-Maxi Kleber
-Moses Moody

Warriors receive:
-John Collins
-Kelly Olynyk
-Kris Dunn
-Richaun Holmes
-Jaden Hardy

In this supposed trade details, it doesn't work as the Warriors need to cut around 12 mil. Almost exactly Holmes's contract. Rerouting Holmes to UTA solves that issue and makes sense. But why would UTA want Looney, Holmes, AND Kleber? Especially with Lauri and Kessler. They also have Taylor Hendricks and Simone Fontecchio as big 6'8-6'9 guys. 

If Looney goes to Dallas then the deals still works and realistically makes sense depth chart wise.

But I refuse to believe the Mavs can turn Holmes, Kleber, Jaden Hardy, and a 2028 MIA 2nd into Wiggins, Looney, and a 2025 1st (which unlocks the Mavs to use 3 picks this TDL for a star).
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-03-2024, 09:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I am scared to death of Wiggins, his contract and motivation, but philosophically, this is a trade I could get behind. The concept of the team remaining makes sense to me.

I think the real prize at the end of the day is that 2025 1st and a contract in the mid-20s to match for a star.

Wiggins scares me to death to mentally. Just weird his situation all around. But on paper he's exactly the type of wing we've been clamoring for YEARS next to Luka...

I'm fine with the risk and I don't think Wiggins is impossible to move. Especially since it gets Holmes off of the books for next year.

(01-03-2024, 10:33 PM)MFFL Wrote: ThatOneMavsFan (19-15)
@that1mavsfan
Full trade details:

Mavericks receive:
-Andrew Wiggins

Jazz receive:
-Kevon Looney
-Maxi Kleber
-Moses Moody

Warriors receive:
-John Collins
-Kelly Olynyk
-Kris Dunn
-Richaun Holmes
-Jaden Hardy

ThatOneMavsFan (19-15)
@that1mavsfan
·
3h
Alright 35k views and 120 likes in and it’s time to admit

I AM NOT AN ACTUAL INSIDER

This post is a joke

I am just a fan account for the Mavericks

Pls don’t trust everything you see and make sure to check if someone is actually an insider

Ah, there it is. Yeah it was too good to be true
Like Reply
[Image: GC79VxCXoAAu16R?format=jpg&name=medium]

[Charania] League executives have not sensed urgency from the Oklahoma City Thunder to acquire star-level talent on the trade market. Many believe the Thunder are content focusing on the group of guys they currently have and don't want to disrupt their depth and chemistry.
Like Reply
(01-04-2024, 01:39 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: GC79VxCXoAAu16R?format=jpg&name=medium]

[Charania] League executives have not sensed urgency from the Oklahoma City Thunder to acquire star-level talent on the trade market. Many believe the Thunder are content focusing on the group of guys they currently have and don't want to disrupt their depth and chemistry.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it..
Like Reply
Atlanta wants Siakam and the Mavericks need more size so would you make the following trade if offered?

Raptors send Siakam to the Hawks.

Hawks send Clint Capela and De'Andre Hunter to the Mavs.  Hawks send the Kings 2024 1st as well as Kobe Bufkin to the Raptors.  

Mavs send Grant Williams, Josh Green, Richaun Holmes and Seth Curry to the Raptors.  Mavericks also send a top-10 protected 2027 1st to Toronto.

The Raptors get 2 1st round picks plus Kobe Bufkin for Siakam.  Williams backs up Scottie Barnes and improves their 3-point shooting.  Josh Green is a useful wing.

The Hawks shake up the league's most disappointing team and add a 3rd star.  

The Mavericks get much bigger.  Capela may seem like overkill as a platoon center but our backup center position is the team's greatest weakness.

Hunter has been disappointing in ATL but might benefit from a change in scenery.  He's 6'8 with a 7'2 wingspan and is hitting over 40 percent from 3 this season. On paper, he's an ideal wing on this roster.  

I think this would work out for all 3 teams.  Your thoughts?
Like Reply
(01-04-2024, 06:13 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Atlanta wants Siakam and the Mavericks need more size so would you make the following trade if offered?

Raptors send Siakam to the Hawks.

Hawks send Clint Capela and De'Andre Hunter to the Mavs.  Hawks send the Kings 2024 1st as well as Kobe Bufkin to the Raptors.  

Mavs send Grant Williams, Josh Green, Richaun Holmes and Seth Curry to the Raptors.  Mavericks also send a top-10 protected 2027 1st to Toronto.

The Raptors get 2 1st round picks plus Kobe Bufkin for Siakam.  Williams backs up Scottie Barnes and improves their 3-point shooting.  Josh Green is a useful wing.

The Hawks shake up the league's most disappointing team and add a 3rd star.  

The Mavericks get much bigger.  Capela may seem like overkill as a platoon center but our backup center position is the team's greatest weakness.

Hunter has been disappointing in ATL but might benefit from a change in scenery.  He's 6'8 with a 7'2 wingspan and is hitting over 40 percent from 3 this season. On paper, he's an ideal wing on this roster.  

I think this would work out for all 3 teams.  Your thoughts?

I am not sure if Green, Holmes, GW and Curry is enough salary to make this work. Didn't check it, just feels like it is not enough. But, I may be wrong.

Protecting 2027 pick is not simple. If you protect that pick, it turns into a second rounder if not conveyed. So teams might accept a very light protection because they would still have high chance of actually getting the FRP. Stronger protection greatly increases possibility that they get just a second rounder instead of the FRP. That is why I think protections on the pick greatly decrease its value. 

Hunter is just what you said - on paper he looks great, but is not really good in Atlanta. That's why they are willing to move him. A change of scenery might work for him, but his 4 year deal is quite a risk. Hunter is not really great defender neither  is he a very efficient offensive player. He is also not really a big wing (PF) Mavs would need - Siakam fits that description much closer. Mavs would remain small and still lack the rebounding.

If I would have a choice, I would definitely try to go after Siakam instead of Hunter. Hunter would still be imho a better fit than THJ, but I wouldn't give up Green, GW and pick to get him, even with Capela attached to the deal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(01-04-2024, 07:12 AM)omahen Wrote: I am not sure if Green, Holmes, GW and Curry is enough salary to make this work. Didn't check it, just feels like it is not enough. But, I may be wrong.

Protecting 2027 pick is not simple. If you protect that pick, it turns into a second rounder if not conveyed. So teams might accept a very light protection because they would still have high chance of actually getting the FRP. Stronger protection greatly increases possibility that they get just a second rounder instead of the FRP. That is why I think protections on the pick greatly decrease its value. 

Hunter is just what you said - on paper he looks great, but is not really good in Atlanta. That's why they are willing to move him. A change of scenery might work for him, but his 4 year deal is quite a risk. Hunter is not really great defender neither  is he a very efficient offensive player. He is also not really a big wing (PF) Mavs would need - Siakam fits that description much closer. Mavs would remain small and still lack the rebounding.

If I would have a choice, I would definitely try to go after Siakam instead of Hunter. Hunter would still be imho a better fit than THJ, but I wouldn't give up Green, GW and pick to get him, even with Capela attached to the deal.
Here's my shot at this.  probably a little simpler
Raptors gets
Hunter & Green
they get two young cost controlled wings that can play now for a guy that can leave this offseason

Hawks gets
Siakam & Holmes
they get the best player in the deal and a backup center.  if it doesn't work, they have fixed their cap for this offseason

Dallas gets
Capela & Bey
they get the backup center they desperately need and another wing that can shoot.

No picks should be needed since Siakam can be a free agent this offseason.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavs32's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, omahen
Like Reply
(01-04-2024, 09:40 AM)Mavs32 Wrote: Here's my shot at this.  probably a little simpler
Raptors gets
Hunter & Green
they get two young cost controlled wings that can play now for a guy that can leave this offseason

Hawks gets
Siakam & Holmes
they get the best player in the deal and a backup center.  if it doesn't work, they have fixed their cap for this offseason

Dallas gets
Capela & Bey
they get the backup center they desperately need and another wing that can shoot.

No picks should be needed since Siakam can be a free agent this offseason.

I think this is a very nice idea and I would support it. Perhaps a little light from Dallas side, but I wouldn't have a problem adding a couple of seconds to it.
Like Reply
More sites getting on a potential Siakam to Dallas trade

https://hoopshabit.com/posts/nba-rumors-...r-revealed
Like Reply
(01-04-2024, 09:56 AM)omahen Wrote: More sights getting on a potential Siakam to Dallas trade

https://hoopshabit.com/posts/nba-rumors-...r-revealed

Sounds like they've been reading the board.  

To me, if it is GWill and THJ, then it won't be Green AND 2027.  One or the other.  I agree with your prior comment on 2027.  Top 10 protected is too protected.  If you are going to immediately convert it to a second rounder, it has to be more lightly protected to be valuable.  I could also see an unprotected pick swap (it doesn't have to be 2027 necessarily).

I don't think FG's extension requirement is realistic.  But, I think getting PS is more likely to happen than it would be otherwise because Dallas might be willing to take the risk (again) of their acquisition walking on them.

Inevitably the DJJ thing comes up any time we talk about a big dollar guy like Siakam.  Green/GWill/THJ is $41mm or so next season which probably keeps us around the tax give or take a million or two depending on what Siakam signs for.  If we don't send out Holmes, he can be stretched to save another $8mm or so.  That probably keeps you in the DJJ game as it puts you that much further under the first apron.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
A couple of thoughts on this Siakam-Dallas rumors.

I like it a lot that Mavs are mentioned as a serious candidate. It could indicate that they are viewed around the league as a team that is "one piece away". So, even if Siakam thing isn't serious or doesn't happen, someone else good might be convinced to go to Dallas. Mavs were mostly mentioned as having interest with any player that could become available in the past, but no one has taken them seriously. Could this have changed?

Mavs previous moves came pretty much unexpected, out of the blue, which is the opposite of all the talk around Siakam. There were some rumblings last season that Mavs might be interested in Irving (when he demanded the trade early in the season), but Stein repeatedly said Mavs are not interested. I don't think anyone expected Mavs trading for Kyrie at TDL. Stein is again the one that is cooling down the supposed Mavs interest. Interest in GW and Thybulle was correctly "announced" by media in the summer.

THJ, GW and Green probably don't have some high ceiling (perhaps Green), but can be useful rotation players for a team like Toronto. I would like for Mavs to get a bit more back from Toronto, Bucher (we can also send Holmes) or perhaps McDaniels could be useful rotation players.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-04-2024, 10:22 AM)omahen Wrote: A couple of thoughts on this Siakam-Dallas rumors.

There were some rumblings last season that Mavs might be interested in Irving (when he demanded the trade early in the season), but Stein repeatedly said Mavs are not interested. I don't think anyone expected Mavs trading for Kyrie at TDL. Stein is again the one that is cooling down the supposed Mavs interest. 

THJ, GW and Green probably don't have some high ceiling (perhaps Green), but can be useful rotation players for a team like Toronto. I would like for Mavs to get a bit more back from Toronto, Bucher (we can also send Holmes) or perhaps McDaniels could be useful rotation players.

If it ends up being three outgoing players, Dallas would have a limited time to get back to 14...or as you suggest...could get someone else back from Toronto.  McDaniels (Duffy) would make sense as DJJ insurance next summer.  He can't buy a three to save his life this season.

Sending out THJ AND Green would be a tremendous vote of confidence for Hardy's future role here.  

Siakam is probably your Lively backup as well as the starting four in the playoffs.  Both McDaniels and DJJ are a bit undersized at the four which keeps a path open for significant future minutes for OMax.
Like Reply