Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: PHI Keeping An Eye on Butler | Butler Wants Max Extension
(12-01-2023, 12:21 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I agree that Dorian may not be worth a first to the Mavs but to a contender who is truly one piece away he absolutely would be.  Dorian is quietly having the best year of his career in Brooklyn after his worst statistically season since his rookie year but they way we've reworked the roster he would be one of the oldest players in our rotation if he came back and he wouldn't be enough to put us over the top so for that reason it wouldn't make sense for us at all.  It's the same reason I'd rather not go after Jerami Grant honestly although I do think he's a better player than Dorian.  The majority of our rotation is still in their mid twenties and while those are the toughest players to acquire, that would certainly be the preference I think.

RE: Mavs aren't planning acquiring another first.  I do think there's a real chance here to use someone else's first in a three team trade so that they can save their own.  Is Hardaway equal value to Gary Harris and one of the Magic's lesser first round picks?  I think so but that package means nothing to us.  If we would be able to leverage Hardaway that way I think it opens up a lot of doors for us in the immediate future while also allowing us to really go shopping hard this offseason.

I'm holding onto my dream of Hardaway/Harris + pick/PJ Washington 3 way swap.  Having three firsts and Holmes' expiring this offseason would allow us to be really flexible finding additional upgrades and potentially even get into the draft if there's someone we like (assuming we convey the pick that is).
Yes to leveraging Hardaway if the right opportunity arises. Something like:

Atl: Siakam

Dal: Capela 

Orl: THJ

Tor: Gary Harris, Hunter, Hawks young player, Hawks FRP’s, Magic and Mavs 2nds 

Or a similar concept to this. Just a smart trade that gets us one piece closer. We need 2 players
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
Would anyone do this trade?

Mavs get: DFS

Nets get: Holmes, Hardy, Mavs FRP

That seems like what it would cost. I don’t think that’s the way, but I’d think about it
Like Reply
Love DFS.

But that package is too rich for DFS age.
[-] The following 2 users Like youzigizag's post:
  • rocky164, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(12-01-2023, 07:50 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Would anyone do this trade?

Mavs get: DFS

Nets get: Holmes, Hardy, Mavs FRP

That seems like what it would cost. I don’t think that’s the way, but I’d think about it

No way. I think that's a big overpay personally. Holmes is actually showing some value for this team now. We can't go back to Powell. Even taking Holmes out, I wouldn't do Hardy and a first for DFS. Maybe one or the other, but not both. I'm a believer in Hardy so I don't want him gone, but we have to give something up to get something back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
(12-01-2023, 05:41 PM)Jym Wrote: OG would be tempting but there's gotta be other teams who could beat our best offer 
Otherwise I'm not too eager to burn assets

Ok maybe I was wrong
Blow it up
Like Reply
Just wait til the offseason and you can do Green for DFS straight up. The Nets wanted Green before in the Kyrie trade and I bet the Mavs are regretting sending DFS instead of him now. DFS won't be the difference-maker but he will be an upgrade from what they currently have. DFS fits the Mavs window now and the Nets will get a younger role player
Like Reply
(12-02-2023, 01:06 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Just wait til the offseason and you can do Green for DFS straight up. The Nets wanted Green before in the Kyrie trade and I bet the Mavs are regretting sending DFS instead of him now. DFS won't be the difference-maker but he will be an upgrade from what they currently have. DFS fits the Mavs window now and the Nets will get a younger role player

Question is if that improves the team. DFS is dead last on +/- with the Nets.

D-EPM

Lively -0.6 
Green -0.7   
DJJ -0.9
Exum -1.0
Grant -1.1
Kyrie -1.2
Luka -1.3
Seth -1.8
Powell -2.3
THJ -2.3

DFS -2.0
Bullock -2.3
[-] The following 3 users Like sefant's post:
  • BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(12-02-2023, 01:06 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Just wait til the offseason and you can do Green for DFS straight up. The Nets wanted Green before in the Kyrie trade and I bet the Mavs are regretting sending DFS instead of him now. DFS won't be the difference-maker but he will be an upgrade from what they currently have. DFS fits the Mavs window now and the Nets will get a younger role player

This implies the Mavs window is currently open…

We are a much younger team than last year, the reason to not make this trade is because actually because DFS very much doesn’t fit the Mavs timeline.

(12-02-2023, 09:29 AM)sefant Wrote: Question is if that improves the team. DFS is dead last on +/- with the Nets.

D-EPM

Lively -0.6 
Green -0.7   
DJJ -0.9
Exum -1.0
Grant -1.1
Kyrie -1.2
Luka -1.3
Seth -1.8
Powell -2.3
THJ -2.3

DFS -2.0
Bullock -2.3

Surprising.
Like Reply
@davidjsmith1232
Zach Lowe and Bobby Marks talk Jazz and Lauri Markkanen at the 1:01 mark for just a few minutes. They both say a lot of teams are mentioning Lauri to them for trades.

Again, I still think he is a Jazz cornerstone and is going nowhere.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Mavs don’t have good mid range contracts for trade matching. THJ is probably more productive right now than anyone you’d bring back and Holmes contract isnt quite big enough and may have more value to the Mavs also than in a trade. Maybe the Nets would just take back Holmes for DFS as a salary dump? It would save them 15 million plus in that third remaining year of DFS’s contract, right? I’d do something like that.
Like Reply
(12-02-2023, 11:51 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: @davidjsmith1232
Zach Lowe and Bobby Marks talk Jazz and Lauri Markkanen at the 1:01 mark for just a few minutes. They both say a lot of teams are mentioning Lauri to them for trades.

Again, I still think he is a Jazz cornerstone and is going nowhere.

I don't know how he'd be a cornerstone. I don't think he's good enough to be "the guy" and they're bad...so, it kind of seems like they should move him, unless they're hoping to be the Western Conference version of the Chicago Bulls, and tbh I think Sacramento has that niche all but sewn up at this point.
Like Reply
Just out of curiosity, in a world where you could simply add either player to this roster to get as many wins as possible this year, would the board add DFS or Lauri?

Basically wondering what skill set folks find more valuable to this roster right now.
Like Reply
(12-02-2023, 12:51 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Just out of curiosity, in a world where you could simply add either player to this roster to get as many wins as possible this year, would the board add DFS or Lauri?

Basically wondering what skill set folks find more valuable to this roster right now.

Mavs ran DFS into the ground minute wise and then let him go due to increased interest around league and not being on the Mavs' timeline.   He was also very close with Luka.

Seems like DFS is a guy you would have to rest a lot to get most out of...even load managing in Playoffs to get most out of him.  

We need his size, defense and shooting...but I dont know how much you give up for the guy.

Im all about Lauri.
Like Reply
(12-02-2023, 12:51 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Just out of curiosity, in a world where you could simply add either player to this roster to get as many wins as possible this year, would the board add DFS or Lauri?

Dorian makes more sense from a fit standpoint, but LM is a much better player so you would have to go with him. But reality is LM would me much more expensive.
Like Reply

Lauri is an all-star-level talent. DFS is a beloved role player. Not close.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • BigDirk41, Dahlsim
Like Reply
(12-02-2023, 03:12 PM)mvossman Wrote: Dorian makes more sense from a fit standpoint, but LM is a much better player so you would have to go with him.  But reality is LM would me much more expensive.

Or give up assets for an older guy that might be done soon.

I dont get it.

Go younger with assets or draft unless you are a serious contender.

What is everyones serious expectations of Dorian over two years?  At how many minutes?
Like Reply
(12-02-2023, 11:52 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Mavs don’t have good mid range contracts for trade matching. THJ is probably more productive right now than anyone you’d bring back and Holmes contract isnt quite big enough and may have more value to the Mavs also than in a trade.  Maybe the Nets would just take back Holmes for DFS as a salary dump? It would save them 15 million plus in that third remaining year of DFS’s contract, right?  I’d do something like that.

They are not getting 2 firsts for Dorian, but they will easily do better than salary dump.  Next offseason Timmy and Holmes will be perfect contracts for trade matching.
Like Reply
So many wasted roster spots right now that limit what they can do. Wenyen Gabriel is in the G-League...get rid of someone and sign him ASAP. Call up Greg Brown and give him minutes. This current team is what happens when the Mavs are so obsessed with "bigs" that can shoot threes that they would rather go small and undersized with these floor spacers than figure out how to integrate a tall/lenthy PFs even if they can't shoot. You're going to get killed on the boards every game and lose out on these 50/50 balls when you have to play GW/DJJ at the 4 and Green at the 3
Like Reply
(12-02-2023, 04:15 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: So many wasted roster spots right now that limit what they can do. Wenyen Gabriel is in the G-League...get rid of someone and sign him ASAP. Call up Greg Brown and give him minutes. This current team is what happens when the Mavs are so obsessed with "bigs" that can shoot threes that they would rather go small and undersized with these floor spacers than figure out how to integrate a tall/lenthy PFs even if they can't shoot. You're going to get killed on the boards every game and lose out on these 50/50 balls when you have to play GW/DJJ at the 4 and Green at the 3

Sounds like you fall into the "win now" camp rather than the "long-term roster-building" camp.
Like Reply
(12-02-2023, 04:15 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: So many wasted roster spots right now that limit what they can do. Wenyen Gabriel is in the G-League...get rid of someone and sign him ASAP. Call up Greg Brown and give him minutes. This current team is what happens when the Mavs are so obsessed with "bigs" that can shoot threes that they would rather go small and undersized with these floor spacers than figure out how to integrate a tall/lenthy PFs even if they can't shoot. You're going to get killed on the boards every game and lose out on these 50/50 balls when you have to play GW/DJJ at the 4 and Green at the 3

No, thanks.

I’d much prefer the “bigs who can shoot” route.
Like Reply