Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
I get why people are high on Hardy's potential, but he looked like a high volume launch it anytime from anywhere and pray it goes in guy in the summer league. It's a small sample size, but 35% FG and 27% 3P in the summer league...He has a lot to work on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes From Dirk to Luka's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(08-21-2023, 09:54 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I also think Hardy can become a star player.  I hate the Jordan Clarkson and Jordan Poole comparisons.  I think Hardy will be better than either.  I think he has the potential to become an all-star and I think he'll be closer to Bradley Beal than Jordan Clarkson.  

Not sure he'll be able to score that many points on the Mavericks though.  I can imagine us trading him for an elite defensive player.  I'm not sure the Mavericks would be able to afford his next contract should he become a 22 ppg scorer.

I hope you're right, but Beal was a dog on defense when he was Hardy young.  With Hardy it's that "he has the physical tools to be great on defense" thing, but how often does that develop?  Some, like Wiggins develop into into great defenders, but I don't think it's incredibly common.

Unless Hardy can be at least an adequate defender, I don't see him as anything more than a 6th man on this team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 08:48 AM)From Dirk to Luka Wrote: I get why people are high on Hardy's potential, but he looked like a high volume launch it anytime from anywhere and pray it goes in guy in the summer league.  It's a small sample size, but  35% FG and 27% 3P in the summer league...He has a lot to work on.

We also have a nice 11 game sample from the g league from last year where he shot 55/49/88 on nearly 9 threes a game.  

He was definitely forcing some things in the summer league, didn't look comfortable being the leader which luckily he won't really be asked to do this season.
[-] The following 5 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin, michaeltex, mvossman
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 10:35 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: We also have a nice 11 game sample from the g league from last year where he shot 55/49/88 on nearly 9 threes a game.  

He was definitely forcing some things in the summer league, didn't look comfortable being the leader which luckily he won't really be asked to do this season.

Ya, Summer League is sometimes closer to AAU than NBA.  I don't worry about Hardy's ability to shoot and score at an efficient clip, just his defense.  He made THJ look like Jrue Holiday last year.
Like Reply
(08-21-2023, 09:54 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I also think Hardy can become a star player.  I hate the Jordan Clarkson and Jordan Poole comparisons.  I think Hardy will be better than either.  I think he has the potential to become an all-star and I think he'll be closer to Bradley Beal than Jordan Clarkson.  

Not sure he'll be able to score that many points on the Mavericks though.  I can imagine us trading him for an elite defensive player.  I'm not sure the Mavericks would be able to afford his next contract should he become a 22 ppg scorer.

Clarkson and Poole are elite 6th men.  Hardy was a second round pick.  If he reaches the level of those guys, it will be a huge win.  Beal would be his absolute ceiling, but I would be very satisfied if he turns into an elite 6th man.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • Arioch, Ghost of Podkolzin, RGP1981
Like Reply
Shams Charania

The Dallas Mavericks are planning to stretch-and-waive center JaVale McGee and re-sign F/C Markieff Morris on a deal, sources tell @TheAthletic
@Stadium. Mavs must execute stretch-and-waive by next week.

Seems like a waste just to give the spot to Morris. They couldn't find a true center with size out there somewhere?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 02:14 PM)Jym Wrote: Shams Charania

The Dallas Mavericks are planning to stretch-and-waive center JaVale McGee and re-sign F/C Markieff Morris on a deal, sources tell @TheAthletic

Seems like a waste just to give the spot to Morris. They couldn't find a true center with size out there somewhere?

Yeah, I'm not a fan of this at all. They must REALLY want McGee out of that locker room.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Jmaciscool, mvossman, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
Luka - Exum - trade THJ for any PG for my OCD
Kyrie - Hardy - Curry
Green - OMax - DJJ
Batman - Maxi - Morris
Holmes - Lively - Powell
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
OK, Wood is not officially gone until he signs elsewhere. En Lieu of Morris, what can we offer Wood?
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 02:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, I'm not a fan of this at all. They must REALLY want McGee out of that locker room.
How y'all feeling about bringing back Morris? I thought there would be better options then hin out there...
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillE's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 02:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, I'm not a fan of this at all. They must REALLY want McGee out of that locker room.

Curious what the number is for Markeiff vs what Garuba will sign for (although Garuba can probably go find a bigger role elsewhere).
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 02:14 PM)Jym Wrote: Shams Charania

Not a fan at all. First they are throwing away 12 mil. Ok, there might be things we don't know, but seems like a waste of contract that could be used in a trade at some point. I think best FO are always patient even with mistakes like that. 

Than, they top that with signing a guy, who was bad for quite some time and plays same position as this summer star signing, this year first round pick and most recent FA vet min. I just don't get this signing, seems like a total waste of roster spot and money.
[-] The following 4 users Like omahen's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft, michaeltex, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 02:38 PM)WillE Wrote: How y'all feeling about bringing back Morris? I thought there would be better options then hin out there...

Not thrilled about him, specifically, but it's interesting that signs continue to support a versatile, switchable bigs approach. Morris, in theory, can do some of the same things as a 4/5 that Williams, Jones and O-Max can do. 

I definitely don't like the idea of Morris getting even one minute that could go to O-Max, and I hardly think his addition is worth the cap clogging decision to stretch waive McGee. In fact, despite being possibly the most vocal in my opposition of the McGee signing, originally, I feel like he might fill more of an occasional need here this season than Morris.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • surfpuckmd, WillE
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 02:55 PM)omahen Wrote: Not a fan at all. First they are throwing away 12 mil. Ok, there might be things we don't know, but seems like a waste of contract that could be used in a trade at some point. I think best FO are always patient even with mistakes like that. 

Than, they top that with signing a guy, who was bad for quite some time and plays same position as this summer star signing, this year first round pick and most recent FA vet min. I just don't get this signing, seems like a total waste of roster spot and money.

Hell I would have preferred Pinson if we were going for a deep bench vibes guy who never needed to see the court
But yeah other needs when we really don't have a true 3rd point guard and our only 7 footer is a rookie
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 02:55 PM)omahen Wrote: Not a fan at all. First they are throwing away 12 mil. Ok, there might be things we don't know, but seems like a waste of contract that could be used in a trade at some point. I think best FO are always patient even with mistakes like that. 

I feel like this is almost a certainty at this point.  They've been very vocal (way more than in the past as far as I can recall) about getting rid of McGee since the off season started.  To me it smells strongly of locker room issues.

Agree with you on Morris, definitely seems like an odd choice.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • mvossman, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Why not give Garuba a try. I have seen him play for Spain. He can be just as much of an annoying a** as the Morris brothers and he´s young with upside. What the hell is the point of Morris? Was VAJ not available?
[-] The following 5 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, From Dirk to Luka, RGP1981, StrandedOnBeauboisHill, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 03:04 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Why not give Garuba a try. I have seen him play for Spain. He can be just as much of an annoying a** as the Morris brothers and he´s young with upside. What the hell is the point of Morris? Was VAJ not available?

Not that I wouldn't prefer Garuba, but who says Garuba wants to go to Dallas?
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 03:05 PM)omahen Wrote: Not that I wouldn't prefer Garuba, but who says Garuba wants to go to Dallas?

It's a good question/point. The choices are likely limited to those who can be had for the minimum. If a player has multiple offers for the minimum, he'd need to prefer the Mavs over other offers.
Like Reply
Who let the 2022 Mavs offseason back in the chat? Just a weird move.

Any chance that he was added to the trade last year with the promise that he would be re-signed? Seems unlikely but I can’t think of any reason why you would stretch waive McGee to sign Morris.
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 03:01 PM)Jym Wrote: Hell I would have preferred Pinson if we were going for a deep bench vibes guy who never needed to see the court
But yeah other needs when we really don't have a true 3rd point guard and our only 7 footer is a rookie

You hit the nail on the head with the point guard comment. I don't think it's likely that either Luka or Kyrie plays 82 games this year. It ought to be really fun to see Hardy, Green, Curry, and Exum (tbqh, by far the least dire choice, but you're banking on simply gigantic improvement in his PG skills over the past two years if you think you can play him there now) run the point when one of those two is injured and the other has to sit - if you're a Suns fans.
Like Reply