Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Booker Likes NYK? Vogel Out? Suns Imploding?
(07-20-2023, 01:20 PM)cow Wrote: McGee's contract might require a FRP, or rather more than one or two SRPs, to get off of (maybe a pick swap?).  That's not me advocating to send out our FRP or to pick swap it to move him.  I'm just thinking the cost might be more than we are willing to afford.

I think cash and 1 SRP might be enough. Cash more or less pays for one season, SRP for the other one. 2 SRP tops. Larger salaries were moved for lesser assets.
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 01:20 PM)cow Wrote: McGee's contract might require a FRP, or rather more than one or two SRPs, to get off of (maybe a pick swap?).

Not interested in the least. He can be trade filler. He can be parked on the bench. Maybe be of help in practices. I see no reason to use draft capital too, in addition to paying him, and I think the media assertions that he is definitely gone are misguided (either by over-assuming media, or by short-sighted front office people, if there's not a trade coming where he will be filler). It would NOT surprise me if he actually ends up going nowhere, despite what we are being told by media.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft, omahen
Like Reply
At least y'all can agree it was a good conversation starter. : D

It's most definitely an overpay. But DeRozan in terms of talent really solidifies the starting 5. It's an awkward fit, but his clutch shooting would be a welcome addition. Agreed I'd probably wouldn't do the deal if the 27 1st was included, but if it costs a couple of 2nds?

Essentially the Mavs make out like bandits. DeRozan>>THJ Drummond>McGee.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 02:35 PM)F Gump Wrote: Not interested in the least. He can be trade filler. He can be parked on the bench. Maybe be of help in practices. I see no reason to use draft capital too, in addition to paying him, and I think the media assertions that he is definitely gone are misguided (either by over-assuming media, or by short-sighted front office people, if there's not a trade coming where he will be filler). It would NOT surprise me if he actually ends up going nowhere, despite what we are being told by media.

Not interested in what?  I'm not purposing anything.  I think the dream of getting off the remainder of McGee's contract inexpensively is just that, a dream.  His contract is going to be a massive negative in any trade he is included in so even using him as filler is going to cost you even more assets with his inclusion.
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 05:58 PM)cow Wrote: Not interested in what?  I'm not purposing anything.  I think the dream of getting off the remainder of McGee's contract inexpensively is just that, a dream.  His contract is going to be a massive negative in any trade he is included in so even using him as filler is going to cost you even more assets with his inclusion.

Massive? $6mil? And replace him with a $2m vet min, for a savings of $4m?

It’s like a deck chair blowing off the Titanic.
[-] The following 3 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • Arioch, From Dirk to Luka, MFFL
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 06:00 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Massive? $6mil? And replace him with a $2m vet min, for a savings of $4m?

It’s like a deck chair blowing off the Titanic.

5.7 + 6.  Getting rid of nearly 12 million dollars of a player that the league knows you have no use for and further, they probably have no use for is going to cost you something, something more than a second round pick.
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 06:04 PM)cow Wrote: 5.7 + 6.  Getting rid of nearly 12 million dollars of a player that the league knows you have no use for and further, they probably have no use for is going to cost you something, something more than a second round pick.

Exactly. Rebuilding/tanking Spurs didn’t want to take him. They gave up a pick, so we know it cost at least 2 SRP’s or the Mavs simply use their cap space to dump in the GWill SnT and Spurs keep it.
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 06:04 PM)cow Wrote: 5.7 + 6.  Getting rid of nearly 12 million dollars of a player that the league knows you have no use for and further, they probably have no use for is going to cost you something, something more than a second round pick.

This reminds me a little bit of the outcry on this board when the Mavs signed Trey Burke to a $3m/yr contract instead of a $2m vet min.

Really?
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 06:29 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: This reminds me a little bit of the outcry on this board when the Mavs signed Trey Burke to a $3m/yr contract instead of a $2m vet min.

Really?

He’s not saying they should do it, just opining on what getting off him might cost. I myself think it could be done more cheaply, but none of us knows for sure.
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 06:29 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: This reminds me a little bit of the outcry on this board when the Mavs signed Trey Burke to a $3m/yr contract instead of a $2m vet min.

Really?

Still salty. Burke, WCS and Terry for the MLE. All of them out of the league by now.
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 06:46 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Still salty. Burke, WCS and Terry for the MLE. All of them out of the league by now.

I miss bubble Burke.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 06:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I miss bubble Burke.

The real difference maker was Boban. Trading him for Wood nuked the locker room. Mavs lost the most likeable player in the league  Tongue
[-] The following 6 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, MFFL, michaeltex, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 07:09 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The real difference maker was Boban. Trading him for Wood nuked the locker room. Mavs lost the most likeable player in the league  Tongue

Ugh…checkmate
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
I think someone else mentioned this already but JM should sit next to MC at every game for the next 2 years.
[-] The following 2 users Like BoredAssistant's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 07:46 PM)BoredAssistant Wrote: I think someone else mentioned this already but JM should sit next to MC at every game for the next 2 years.

Good idea. If that doesn’t force him to opt out of the final year, nothing will.
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 07:09 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The real difference maker was Boban. Trading him for Wood nuked the locker room. Mavs lost the most likeable player in the league  Tongue

Well lucky for the Mavs then because Boban is available after being waived by Houston 3 weeks earlier.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 05:58 PM)cow Wrote: I think the dream of getting off the remainder of McGee's contract inexpensively is just that, a dream.

And my point is "So what?" They don't have to pay that price to get off of McGee's contract. I'm keeping my 1st rounder, and don't need a deal like was being suggested where it's demanded. 

I have no problem locking McGee in a closet until his contract runs out, if I have to do that to keep the pick. It's not like Cuban is needing the spending room for a different player of value. And about your willingness to give up a 1st round pick (an unprotected one after Luka's contract expires!) and some 2nds to get off of McGee's deal a couple years early - goodness.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 08:27 PM)F Gump Wrote: And my point is "So what?" They don't have to pay that price to get off of McGee's contract. I'm keeping my 1st rounder, and don't need a deal like was being suggested where it's demanded. 

I have no problem locking McGee in a closet until his contract runs out, if I have to do that to keep the pick. It's not like Cuban is needing the spending room for a different player of value. And about your willingness to give up a 1st round pick (an unprotected one after Luka's contract expires!) and some 2nds to get off of McGee's deal a couple years early - goodness.

They took on a questionable $24mm commitment for a late first rounder. So obviously they won’t pay an unprotected 1 to dump 12. You’re safe. Straw men ain’t gonna get you.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 09:30 PM)The Jom Wrote: They took on a questionable $24mm commitment for a late first rounder. So obviously they won’t pay an unprotected 1 to dump 12. You’re safe. Straw men ain’t gonna get you.

Speaking of straw men...

Cow can moo for himself with more details, I will just say that he never said he wants to pay 2027 pick to move McGee neither did he say it would take 2027 pick to dump him.
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 09:34 PM)omahen Wrote: Speaking of straw men...

Cow can moo for himself with more details, I will just say that he never said he wants to pay 2027 pick to move McGee neither did he say it would take 2027 pick to dump him.

Wait . . . I thought that was my point.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply