Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(07-08-2023, 09:04 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: He's probably a difficult personality and teams would rather not deal with the headache he induces.

However, it's not like he assaulted his wife, was caught drunk driving or routinely blames his teammates and coaches for his failures.  We hired Jason Kidd as coach despite a criminal record and two previous stints as a failed head coach. 

As to Wood's history of team-hopping, I think some of that is disingenuous.  The first four teams he played for didn't retain him because he wasn't a good enough player to maintain a roster spot. He worked hard and became a better player then finally made a positive contribution as a backup in Detroit.  He was a pretty good success story at that time.  The Pistons chose to go into tanking mode though and didn't want a winning player going into that season.   Christian Wood's advanced stats that season were very positive in a limited role.

So, he went to Houston to play with James Harden.  He was good enough to receive around $14 million a year.   Then, Harden asked out and the Rockets then chose to tank as well.  He spent two years there on a team that was trying to be bad.

He finally comes to Dallas and I thought demonstrated a lot of talent.  I think he was clearly the second most talented player on the roster prior to the Kyrie trade.  I saw an undisputedly gifted offensive player.  I think he made a lot of mistakes on defense but was generally our best rebounder and rim protector.

I think he began to succeed at several times during the season only to have Kidd reign him in and limit his minutes.  Kidd openly called him out to the media.  

I think he was not treated well here and I do think it's bizarre to have a coach refuse to play one of his best players because he doesn't like him personally.  Coach Kidd is both a bad coach and a difficult human being himself.  

I don't have a great explanation for why Christian Wood doesn't have a contract yet.  It's likely some combination of perceived  attitude issues and lack of defensive awareness.

I think the defensive awareness could improve if he had another year on the Mavericks.  

I realize the Mavericks won't give him a second chance here. 

I'm just saying that I think they should.

My guess is that while it COULD be about his personality, and maybe significantly so, it's probably more about his unwillingness or inability to adhere to the organizing principles of each team's offensive/defensive systems. That's what happened when Rodman was here. Roddy Beaubois, too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Regarding Wood, I have this story in my mind of Gary Anderson - an NFL football player in the 80s .

He got out of college and was considered a star running back. Drafted by the Chargers. Had some good years, but moved around a bit. When he finally retired, he sued the University of Arkansas. It turned out Gary Anderson couldn't read. At all. He supposedly graduated from college and couldn't read. He had to have a lot of tutoring and help with playbooks and contracts after he got to the NFL.

My point being Woods may have a real problem between the ears that doesn't get much publicity. He may be a perfectly decent guy, and just pays no attention to plays in a book or coaches or chalkboards or something from really getting it as an NBA player..
[-] The following 5 users Like Winter's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, MFFL, surfpuckmd, The Jom
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 09:14 PM)Winter Wrote: Regarding Wood, I have this story in my mind of Gary Anderson - an NFL football player in the 80s .

He got out of college and was considered a star running back. Drafted by the Chargers. Had some good years, but moved around a bit. When he finally retired, he sued the University of Arkansas. It turned out Gary Anderson couldn't read. At all. He supposedly graduated from college and couldn't read. He had to have a lot of tutoring and help with playbooks and contracts after he got to the NFL.

My point being Woods may have a real problem between the ears that doesn't get much publicity. He may be a perfectly decent guy, and just pays no attention to plays in a book or coaches or chalkboards or something from really getting it as an NBA player..

It's not PC and tough to talk about, but the thought "maybe he's just too dumb to do this, professionally" has crossed my mind.

I don't mean that to be super critical of wood, though I suppose it is. I'm just always so impressed when I hear NBA players talk hoops. It's always clear that they're "basketball nerds" and that there's a lot more to it all than just running, jumping, shooting and having long arms. The top level of ANYTHING in the world is probably 1,000x more complex than we realize. It's not for everyone, I'm sure.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL, surfpuckmd, The Jom
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 09:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: My guess is that while it COULD be about his personality, and maybe significantly so, it's probably more about his unwillingness or inability to adhere to the organizing principles of each team's offensive/defensive systems. That's what happened when Rodman was here. Roddy Beaubois, too.

That's probably an important part of it.   I think that might be partly attributable to never having found a team that will commit to developing him as as a team player.  Maybe it's just something intrinsic in him though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 08:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think they signed Kyrie with full awareness that there’s an 80% chance they’ll trade him soon. Possibly even at this first deadline.

I think that with a good season of play from him, along with his decent contract, they’ll get more for him than they gave up, and I believe the package will be comprised of a little draft capital and a couple of players much closer to the new timeline they’ve set up with every other move made this summer.

In the meantime, I think they hope he can reign Luka in a little and teach him some things, and probably think there’s a chance this all comes together fast enough to make use of his presence here.

It’s a much better plan than I expected them to hatch. Realistic and hopeful.

Interesting 

Hadnt even thought of that angle
Like Reply
Wood not sitting next to the other Mavs guys in Vegas is all we need to know when it comes to his future. Can we just move on or is this going to be a topic for the rest of the summer?
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, MFFL, mvossman
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 08:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think they signed Kyrie with full awareness that there’s an 80% chance they’ll trade him soon. Possibly even at this first deadline.

I think that with a good season of play from him, along with his decent contract, they’ll get more for him than they gave up, and I believe the package will be comprised of a little draft capital and a couple of players much closer to the new timeline they’ve set up with every other move made this summer.

In the meantime, I think they hope he can reign Luka in a little and teach him some things, and probably think there’s a chance this all comes together fast enough to make use of his presence here.

It’s a much better plan than I expected them to hatch. Realistic and hopeful.

I don't think there's any chance they trade him unless he demands a trade. Nico and Kidd wanted and like Kyrie. They all 3 get along. Kyrie is here to stay.
[-] The following 3 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • AgGiE1991, F Gump, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 10:23 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I don't think there's any chance they trade him unless he demands a trade. Nico and Kidd wanted and like Kyrie. They all 3 get along. Kyrie is here to stay.

You might be right, but logic doesn't support that, imho. 

Yes, they want two stars, and yes, they view Kyrie in that light. That much is obvious. Yes, they probably have a fair amount of confidence that this year's team will be much better than last year's (so do I). Obviously, that's what they hope happens. It's common sense. 

But, if I'm the only one who's noticing that Kyrie is 32 with ties to a number of other teams/stars much closer to his age, while Luka and the rest of the team they're assembling ranges from 20-25, then I'm not sure how to respond to that. It's sooooooo obvious. 

If you're suggesting that this is accidental or coincidental, I can’t get there. If I thought that I’d think we were in for rough waters ahead. Personally, I see intent. 

People are reacting as if I'm suggesting they aren't intending to be competitive this season, despite the fact that I never suggested that. It's really interesting how people read here (no offense to you, specifically).
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 10:23 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I don't think there's any chance they trade him unless he demands a trade. Nico and Kidd wanted and like Kyrie. They all 3 get along. Kyrie is here to stay.

I think the necessity of keeping Kyrie, at least on the basis of assets, had a lot to do with why Kidd is still on the payroll. Now the concern is how long Kyrie forces us to keep Kidd here - as well as a possible locker room split between the sane people vs. those who believe myths like the earth being flat and Kidd being capable of coaching an NBA team well.
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 06:22 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Ya, not S&T.  Signing.  What are our options under the CBA to sign him?

We can theoretically sign him all the way up to 10.9 mil. We have his bird rights and can extend the contract at any time. Mavs are hard capped at 172.3 mil and can't exceed it.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/16778...78880?s=46&t=xNHF873rjt7IFVxyn62T2g

Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
Reporting with @espn_macmahon: Dillon Brooks’ four-year, $80M deal with the Rockets? Well it’s landed at four-years $86M in the sign-and-trade — with $4M more in incentives that can bring it to $90M, sources tell ESPN.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status...89408?s=20

Keith Smith (@KeithSmithNBA)
Think I have this 5-team sorted out:

ATL
IN: Garuba, Washington, 2 HOU 2nds, Cash
OUT: Kaba

HOU
IN: Brooks, Kaba, 2 LAC 2nds
OUT: Christopher, Garuba, Martin, Mills, Washington, 5 2nds

LAC
IN: Martin
OUT: 2 2nds

MEM
IN: Christopher
OUT: Brooks

OKC
IN: Mills, 3 2nds
OUT: Cash
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 10:44 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:

Reporting with @espn_macmahon: Dillon Brooks’ four-year, $80M deal with the Rockets? Well it’s landed at four-years $86M in the sign-and-trade — with $4M more in incentives that can bring it to $90M, sources tell ESPN.

I'm sorry, but I hate that deal. I know Brooks has his fans here, and maybe he's better than I think, but I just don't know how it's going to work with all those young guys in Houston. Is he REALLY the example you want them to follow?
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Branduil
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 10:44 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: We can theoretically sign him all the way up to 10.9 mil. We have his bird rights and can extend the contract at any time. Mavs are hard capped at 172.3 mil and can't exceed it.

Wow. 

Maybe the money, plus being able to play a starring role in the offense like he’s been eager for, will propel him to the pinnacle of his career.

Maybe.
[-] The following 2 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 10:53 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: plus being able to play a starring role in the offense like he’s been eager for

This is what I'm most worried about, if I'm a rockets fan. It's going to be Jerami Grant all over again, maybe worse.
Like Reply
Im sure its been beaten to death on here but why no interest on Christian Wood from the Mavs?

bad defense

locker room cancer

cost

Seemed like he wasnt give a lot of minutes under J Kidd, was he just a bad fit?

Im assuming its defense related but just curious
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 11:40 PM)Dova Wrote: Im sure its been beaten to death on here but why no interest on Christian Wood from the Mavs?

bad defense

locker room cancer

cost

Seemed like he wasnt give a lot of minutes under J Kidd, was he just a bad fit?

Im assuming its defense related but just curious

all of the above.
Like Reply
I'm probably like Top 5 in this board in my support for CWood.
But even I do not want him back.
His time here is over, doesn't matter who's fault it is now.
All I want to know now is if there is any possibility of CWood signed-and-traded.
If the answer is NONE, then I hope everyone moves on and forget about the guy.

Edit: I want Kidd out of here too, not because of how he handled CWood, but mainly of how he coached (or didn't coached?), and his inane comments during the whole of last season. Kidd was a major issue last season, and would continue to be, even with an improved team.
[-] The following 5 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, IamDougieFresh, ItsGoTime, MrGoat, rocky164
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 07:15 PM)F Gump Wrote: LOL @ that being described as a "better" option for the Mavs. Thanks for the laugh!

Who's a better option?  Are you Kidd's burner account?  Starting 17 games last year, Wood was 20pts/10rbs/2blks.  Got a name that can provide that at <=$12m?
Like Reply
(07-08-2023, 10:12 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Wood not sitting next to the other Mavs guys in Vegas is all we need to know when it comes to his future. Can we just move on or is this going to be a topic for the rest of the summer?

Not until he signs elsewhere.  I've yet to get a name from anyone on who's a better option than Wood for whatever money you think he'll command.
Like Reply
(07-09-2023, 12:31 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Not until he signs elsewhere.  I've yet to get a name from anyone on who's a better option than Wood for whatever money you think he'll command.

What everyone is saying is that (if you ask the Mavs, at least) an empty roster spot is a better alternative to Wood.

From your POV, how do reconcile the obvious lack of interest from any team to employ him?
Like Reply