Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(07-06-2023, 01:45 PM)Winter Wrote: The Mavs definitely need a veteran center who can play at least 20-25 minutes a night protecting the rim. I don't know where that comes from. Gafford and Reed may look good on paper, but they don't fit that profile yet. I'd be happy with Gafford, but I haven't seen anything to make me think he's available.

I agree we aren't hearing anything on Gafford, which means he could be unavailable. But I hope he can be had.

If you don't see him as a rim protector, I would disagree there, however. I think he's been a center in the TC mold. And not all teams prioritize that, so maybe they would like to swap him for one with more versatility on offense ie Holmes?
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 01:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Interesting, but I don’t follow. To what quote are you referring?
Hmmm, I’ve been looking for it since you posted this, can’t remember where I saw it. McKinley was talking to Lively about the PnR and basically Lively told him he just wants to get McKinley open, no matter what. Didn’t care if the ball got back to him. That was the gist of it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 10:49 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I am relieved, honestly. Didn’t hate the offer with a passion, but I really think it was gonna be difficult to keep Thybulle on the court in the playoffs.

That‘s my take as well. Awesome defense but the 20 games sample size really isnt enough Imo to warrant a deal in the $10+M range for me. Also kinda suspect fit with Green here who I’d rather see in a bigger role going forward.
[-] The following 2 users Like JamesConway912's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 01:59 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Hmmm, I’ve been looking for it since you posted this, can’t remember where I saw it. McKinley was talking to Lively about the PnR and basically Lively told him he just wants to get McKinley open, no matter what. Didn’t care if the ball got back to him. That was the gist of it.

I had actually posted it.  This is what you're referring to:

https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1...91968?s=20
[-] The following 4 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • ItsGoTime, JBB, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 01:45 PM)Winter Wrote: Green was a bit of a project largely based on athleticism. He was generally unknown in the states until his one college season, and in Australia was known mostly for his playing of Australian rules football. He played college hoops well and was the 18th pick in the NBA draft, but he really has a very short history with basketball compared to Lively. He had a lot more to learn.

IIRC, Green was on the 2021 Aussie Olympic team, but I don't think he ever got off the bench. We've discussed before how he basically missed most of his first two years of development due to the limitations imposed by COVID and the wacky league schedules. I never understood how he got drafted with such a short playing history, but he finally looks like the lights are coming on and he understands what he needs to do.

I agree that Lively has been groomed for his role much more than Josh was. Even at his size, though, DLive will still be a boy amongst men until he proves he can handle the challenges. If nothing else, he'll be an unknown factor until he gets some games under his belt.
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 01:56 PM)F Gump Wrote: I agree we aren't hearing anything on Gafford, which means he could be unavailable. But I hope he can be had.

If you don't see him as a rim protector, I would disagree there, however. I think he's been a center in the TC mold. And not all teams prioritize that, so maybe they would like to swap him for one with more versatility on offense ie Holmes?

He probably is a bit of a rim protector, but the Wizards have him listed as a PF, so they must be playing him alongside someone else (Muscala?) in the lineup at times. There's a lot to like about him, but he still feels like just a bit more of a project then the Mavs want.

Like you though, I personally would be happier with Gafford.... just not sure the Mavs would think it was that black and white.
Like Reply
I've been on the Gafford bandwagon all offseason. I don't think Holmes and a couple 2nds is going to interest Washington though. Giving up the 27 1st feels like a big overpay.

I expect Holmes to have a bounce back year, so why not see what he (and Lively) can do and re-evaluate at the deadline? The Wizards don't seem intent on moving Gafford so there's a good chance he will still be available later on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 01:56 PM)F Gump Wrote: I agree we aren't hearing anything on Gafford, which means he could be unavailable. But I hope he can be had.

I wouldn't mind us using Holmes to go get Gafford but I feel like including Green like you have in some scenarios is way over the top.

Saying Gafford has been up and down in his career is putting it lightly, Green would probably play a bigger role on this roster currently and definitely a bigger piece down the road since Gafford would most likely get tossed aside as soon as Lively is ready.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
Time to see if Nico can pivot like a ballerina to the next move.

Trade Holmes + Hardy for Daniel Gafford?
Trade THJ + McGee + 2nd for PJ Washington + McGowens?
Sign Terence Davis

1-5: Luka, Kyrie, Green, Washington, Gafford
6-10: Exum, Seth, G. Williams, Kleber, Lively
11-15: Wright, Davis, McGowens, O-max, Powell
Like Reply
As of today, it is my understanding that Holmes can only be traded to another team as a one-to-one trade - not with other players. Someone correct me if I misread this.

So my question is... if that's true can Holmes be traded along with our picks? Or are the picks now off-limits as well.
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 01:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think there’s a good chance you’re going to be disappointed. That’s a shame, because I’m elated. They basically stopped doing dumb stuff (so far, don’t want to jinx it). 

I think there’s a 100% chance Omax is in the rotation. I think he’ll be a fan favorite by mid November.

O Max was going to be getting near starter minutes before the Grant Williams move we were so starved at that role. He'll still get some minutes as it stands.
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 02:18 PM)Winter Wrote: As of today, it is my understanding that Holmes can only be traded to another team as a one-to-one trade - not with other players. Someone correct me if I misread this.

So my question is... if that's true can Holmes be traded along with our picks? Or are the picks now off-limits as well.

Nothing is truly off the table until the Holmes trade is completed. As of right now, it's still open and can be amended with other teams and players.

If it completes as-is, Holmes can only be aggregated with other players after 60 days. Before that, he can be traded alone (or with picks) at any time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tyler's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
I fully expect Hardaway to not be on our roster next year. Although if I don't find a clean upgrade at a position of need, I would be fine bringing him back. With the expectation we found a defensive focused center via another avenue.

While his role wouldn't be huge, we can play the SF minutes behind Josh. While he is not very good on defense, I believe he really worked hard last year on D and was one of the few on the team that did.

I also don't know why Lively can't get 18 minutes a night. I view it as 3 6 minutes runs. Some games he will have 3 fouls in 2 minutes. That is when Powell will fit in. Can they find someone who can play 20 minutes effectively? I figure for big games we close the last 6 minutes with Maxi and Grant as the front court. I expect a bumpy ride from Lively, but I think he will play this amount. But I am fine with making him earn his minutes.

edit- Shoot--I forgot Seth's minutes. Will need to think more.
Like Reply
I wouldn't include Hardy in any deal unless it was a legit star myself

Hardy in a deal for Gafford? Pass.
[-] The following 6 users Like Dova's post:
  • BigDirk41, Ghost of Podkolzin, Kidnova, Luka77, MFFL, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 02:17 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: Time to see if Nico can pivot like a ballerina to the next move.

Sign Terence Davis

In no universe does it make sense to send out Hardy for Daniel Gafford.
[-] The following 8 users Like mvossman's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, Kidnova, Luka77, MaxiThreeba, MFFL, RasheedsBigWhiteSpot, Tyler
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 02:17 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: Time to see if Nico can pivot like a ballerina to the next move.

Sign Terence Davis

No way the Mavs trade Hardy
[-] The following 3 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • Luka77, MFFL, RasheedsBigWhiteSpot
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 02:49 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: No way the Mavs trade Hardy

Not for Gafford for sure.  Like I said earlier, I'd think long an hard about it if the return was Allen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kidnova's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 01:41 PM)mvossman Wrote: I'm not saying Lively is the next Jarett Allen, but there are a lot of similarities.  Lively was more impactful in his last two months at Duke than Allen ever was in his one year at Texas.  Allen was a positive impact player at 20 minutes a game his rookie season and started his second.  Different players grow at different rates and there is no telling what Lively's development path is going to be, but I don't think you have to assume he is going the Green route.  The fact that he is considered a high character due and hard working bodes well.

I don’t see a 3 year development plan for Lively.  It may be a while before he fills out and develops his overall game on both ends but his particular skill set on the defensive end is transferable and should allow him to see the floor sooner than later IMO.

The bigger concern for me is between the ears.  I saw an interview where he was asked about his start at Duke and his reply was it took him some time to develop his confidence.  He didn’t specify whether it was confidence in his calf or confidence with the transition to college basketball (or both) but I found the comment interesting.

If I’m the Mav’s, I try to manage early expectations and put him in situations where he can have some early success.  He is going to get beat up and it may be ugly early.  Let the guy swim in the kiddie pool for a while and pick your spots wisely.

I don’t have the same concerns with OMP.  I think he can carry more minutes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RDB's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
I thought of a crazy trade.

Holmes cannot be aggregated so we trade Holmes for Bogdanovic. Then in a separate trade we trade THJ/McGee for Capella. We trade out $37.5m and gain $39.3m

Maybe we throw in the seconds we gained in the Bullock deal, maybe Atlanta throws in a small salary to lower their salary further.
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 02:40 PM)Tyler Wrote: Nothing is truly off the table until the Holmes trade is completed. As of right now, it's still open and can be amended with other teams and players.

If it completes as-is, Holmes can only be aggregated with other players after 60 days. Before that, he can be traded alone (or with picks) at any time.

Thanks. Just curious, why is the Holmes trade still open? Can't SAC just finalize it? Who benefits from not finalizing it?
Like Reply