Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: HOU Targeting Mikal Bridges again!| Mitchell is LAL #1 Target
Anyone have a snapshot of the cap currently w/o MT coming?
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 10:49 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I am relieved, honestly. Didn’t hate the offer with a passion, but I really think it was gonna be difficult to keep Thybulle on the court in the playoffs.

I was on the other side of this deal.  I think Thybulle is poised for a breakout and we'll regret not figuring out a way to give him the full MLE if that would have gotten the deal done. Time will tell.

Edit: "Breakout" being a relative term. I think he's on the verge of becoming a reliable 3-D guy, not that he's going to become a 15+ppg guy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kidnova's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 10:50 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Stein: “Even if the Mavs pull off both Grant Williams an Thybulle, YES they will still try to upgrade at center. They have to.”
Ya, but that sounds like a speculation statement as opposed to a thought from the FO.
I want this good on paper team to be better, but if we just take this team into the season, I still have high hopes. I believe we will still at least be out of the play in.
Like Reply
Next up…it will be interesting to see how and if they report the various trades.  They need to get the rookies on the court, but they also need to hold onto flexibility.  Oh, and will the seconds from the SA deal get McGee added to the Sacramento deal?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 10:57 AM)Kidnova Wrote: I was on the other side of this deal.  I think Thybulle is poised for a breakout and we'll regret not figuring out a way to give him the full MLE if that would have gotten the deal done. Time will tell.

I think this offer was close enough to the MLE that they probably would’ve matched that, too. 

Personally, I did not expect them to match. Dude is 27, and they can’t trade him for a year now… I doubt this contract is going to be very treatable the following year. Does Portland think they are still trying to be good?
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Kidnova
Like Reply
Is Omax supposed to be a long term project? He's 21. I'm fine with him getting some run with the bench unit and them committing to Green as a starter.
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 10:58 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Next up…it will be interesting to see how and if they report the various trades.  They need to get the rookies on the court, but they also need to hold onto flexibility.  Oh, and will the seconds from the SA deal get McGee added to the Sacramento deal?

Yeah, I think this trade will be completed soon, I think today. Hopefully by further expanding it. Just have no idea what they can do. 

As for McGee, dumping him will be the last resort, imho. I think there are plenty of possibilities. But first, I think, they will check if his salary is needed in a trade. They can always just dump him, his salary is not big to be a problem
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 11:01 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Is Omax supposed to be a long term project?  He's 21.  I'm fine with him getting some run with the bench unit and them committing to Green as a starter.

The scouting report is that he's day one ready on defense and a project on offense.
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 11:01 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Is Omax supposed to be a long term project?  He's 21.  I'm fine with him getting some run with the bench unit and them committing to Green as a starter.
If Maxi is exclusively a C like KL is saying, he will get lots of burn like they were saying at the press conference.
Like Reply
Looking at Hollinger Bords rankings here are the small forwards still availble (I think)

Oubre - 11 million value
Diallo- 9.8 value
Troy Brown
Javonte Green
Danny Green
Mykahiliuk
Like Reply
According to Hoopshype, the only RFAs left on the market are Reed, PJ, and Dosunmu.
Like Reply
We finally get our man! Danny Green.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 11:06 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: We finally get our man! Danny Green.

That thought occurred to me when I saw the list...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 10:57 AM)Kidnova Wrote: I was on the other side of this deal.  I think Thybulle is poised for a breakout and we'll regret not figuring out a way to give him the full MLE if that would have gotten the deal done. Time will tell.

Edit: "Breakout" being a relative term.  I think he's on the verge of becoming a reliable 3-D guy, not that he's going to become a 15+ppg guy.

If they matched 11 mil immediately, I doubt 12.4 was going to make that much of a difference.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • MFFL, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Is Caruso on the market, given that we still need a point of attack defender?
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 11:00 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think this offer was close enough to the MLE that they probably would’ve matched that, too. 

Personally, I did not expect them to match. Dude is 27, and they can’t trade him for a year now… I doubt this contract is going to be very treatable the following year. Does Portland think they are still trying to be good?

If they are going to trade Dame to Boston for Jaylen Brown, Thybulle is exactly the guy you'd want next to him.

I'm a bit dejected we couldn't get Thybulle.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 11:07 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Is Caruso on the market, given that we still need a point of attack defender?
Given that they recommitted to Vucivic, I’d imagine they are running it back.
Like Reply
(07-06-2023, 11:08 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: If they are going to trade Dame to Boston for Jaylen Brown, Thybulle is exactly the guy you'd want next to him.

I'm a bit dejected we couldn't get Thybulle.

I still think Thy to Dallas was doomed when they didn't do it as a trade. Still think Portland did us a solid by not farting around.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • ItsGoTime, MFFL
Like Reply
Jones Jr writeup. Maybe he could fit in well with the likes of Williams & Maxi. Probably would only take a few million. Probably better options out there but could be a solid fallback

13. Derrick Jones Jr., 26, Chicago: $7,937,768

A perennially underrated vagabond who is somehow only 26, Jones would be a good candidate with the room or taxpayer exception for a team that doesn’t require him to space the floor. Jones isn’t going to rain from deep, but the dunk contest champ makes up for it with energy, rim runs and transition dunks. He’s a career 61 percent shooter inside the arc and offers considerable secondary rim protection (4.0 percent block rate last year!) from the four position.
Like Reply

He should be good for 15-20 minutes right out of the gate, imo. I think he’s the back up 4 on day 1. 

I think Green was going to be the starter, even if Portland hadn’t matched. 

Losing Thybulle might be a hit to the “trade THJ” crowd. I’m fine with moving him in the right deal, but if the season started today I think he’s first off the bench at the 2/3. And not for nothing, but I think that version of the team is better than the one with Thybulle on it.

If they already have a trade lined up for THJ that they like, it either needs to be for a 2/3 type or, if it’s for a center, they’re going to need to find an alternate plan from this Thybulle distraction. I’ve seen people suggesting Oubre. I’m not into that, but I suppose it’s possible.
Like Reply