Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Booker Likes NYK? Vogel Out? Suns Imploding?
(07-05-2023, 09:31 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It looks like Cato kind of nailed this (just had the wrong outgoing salary).  Report of the offer to Thybulle at $33mm means he and Curry are splitting the MLE.  GWill is essentially the same as a second MLE created by the S&T.

Spotrac has Dallas at $154.913 with G-Will and without the Holmes TK, the rookies and Thybulle.  So add,

$7.884 Thybulle
$2.733 O-Max
$4.775 Lively
$1.800 TK for Holmes

$172.105 (rounded)

It doesn’t necessarily mean we are done (though we could be).  We just have to take back less than we send out.  If we get Thybulle, a McGee S/W is in play as we will have 15 players.  At 14, it makes no sense because you have to replace him with a minimum slot.  At 15, we can drop back to 14 with McGee out and not be forced to replace him.

So every proposal we look at from here (assuming we get Thybulle) can take back extra salary up to the benefit of McGee’s S/W OR has to be for less money.  For instance, you can’t trade match THJ and picks for Allen unless you include McGee or S/W him.  Charlotte can complete a THJ for PJ deal, but it has to be as an under the cap deal at up to PJ’s hold of $17.4mm for Charlotte to avoid BYC.  BTW, $17.4mm to start fulfills the reported $18mm/year average over 4 years for PJ.  So, lots of things we can do.  We just have fewer ways to do them if we believe the reported goals of moving on from McGee and THJ.

I understand this part >>> "GWill is essentially the same as a second MLE created by the S&T."

But I don't understand the math on this >>>  "Report of the offer to Thybulle at $33mm means he and Curry are splitting the MLE."

Isn't Thybulle 3 yrs 33M? If so, that is about 10.5M to him, and 4.5M to Curry, and well over the MLE. EDITED -- I see now that this was already discussed in the interim. Got it.

But in the bigger picture, I think this post is good thinking, in that they are now more or less full on salary, and any added swap has to be a literal salary match (or even take back a bit less than they send out).

ONE IMPORTANT POINT: Because of the hard cap issue (which they will certainly have), moves may end up being done in a specific sequence. In particular, they are likely to do the Thybulle trade first, and see what happens on the match before submitting Bertans deal, because if POR does match, they suddenly have a lot of room under the hard cap, which means they free up that extra trade spread in the Bertans deal if they have a place to use it elsewhere. IOW there are still multiple moving parts in Mav's cap math.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:26 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I expect THJ+one of those recent SRPs acquired traded for PJ Washington.

Mavs could roll-out with Holmes, Lively and DP at C for the regular season.
In the play-offs, most of the minutes at the 5 would be for Maxi and PJ.

I was reading Jay King from the Athletic who said that 

"The Celtics should also miss Williams’ ability to defend big men with physicality. He was often the team’s second-best defensive option on top centers like Joel Embiid and Nikola Jokić."
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Is Paul Reed too young and undeveloped to add to a center rotation?

I noticed that Philly signed Bamba
Like Reply
" I expect THJ+one of those recent SRPs acquired traded for PJ Washington. "

How/when did Mavs acquire SRPs?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsStan41/status/16...7655980033

Jo (@MavsStan41)
Nico Harrison is simultaneously making the Mavericks better right now while also going younger …. Bro is having a generational offseason

I still haven't actually processed this offseason. The Mavs??? Being competent????????????????????????

I'm in a bit of state of shock. They managed to trade for Grant Williams, who while wasn't my first choice, obviously fills an incredible need and is better than Bullock through and through. Now they're making a run at Thybulle, and although a longshot, the idea that they've navigated the summer so that they're actually in a position to nab yet another elite wing defender has me at a loss of words. That's before even adding in the masterful draft, where again, although the Lively pick wasn't my first choice, the maneuver of turning #10 and offloading Bertans and getting 2 guys that ideally fill positions of need with upside just made too much sense.

What is actually happening right now??? Anyone else feels the same? I'm elated, but a bit catatonic. I'm hopeful but also skeptical. I have not fully processed this offseason at all.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 7 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, F Gump, LifeAquatic, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Reunion Mav, Smitty, WillE
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:39 PM)F Gump Wrote: " I expect THJ+one of those recent SRPs acquired traded for PJ Washington. "

How/when did Mavs acquire SRPs?

Per Woj:

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
4h
Compensation update: Boston and Dallas will each receive two second-round picks in the deal.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/16767...92448?s=20
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:27 PM)cow Wrote: Duh.  I'm not talking about the offer being signed.  Notice the "until the RFA period starts" of what you quoted.

Got it. But the issue with POR having to take matching salary would still be an issue, as would the issue for DAL of whether to go the less expensive route or more expensive route to the same end. Now if POR is willing to take McGee, in a simple 1-for-1, maybe there's room to talk snt.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:38 PM)MFFL Wrote: Is Paul Reed too young and undeveloped to add to a center rotation?

On defense:
Reed > DP/Holmes
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:45 PM)F Gump Wrote: Got it. But the issue with POR having to take matching salary would still be an issue, as would the issue for DAL of whether to go the less expensive route or more expensive route to the same end. Now if POR is willing to take McGee, in a simple 1-for-1, maybe there's room to talk snt.

Well, would you two 2x SRPs (if Woj's tweet is accurate) to swap McGee for Thybulle?  I was more talking about the Agent negotiating through the press to get his client to a preferred destination.  A huge assumption but if he's willing to sign an offer sheet...
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:45 PM)F Gump Wrote: Got it. But the issue with POR having to take matching salary would still be an issue, as would the issue for DAL of whether to go the less expensive route or more expensive route to the same end. Now if POR is willing to take McGee, in a simple 1-for-1, maybe there's room to talk snt.

My understanding is that Portland would be able to trade Thy into our MLE, that that's a thing in the new CBA, that it works like a trade exception.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:49 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: My understanding is that Portland would be able to trade Thy into our MLE, that that's a thing in the new CBA, that it works like a trade exception.

Not til next off-season
[-] The following 2 users Like Jym's post:
  • F Gump, MFFL
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:42 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Per Woj:

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
4h
Compensation update: Boston and Dallas will each receive two second-round picks in the deal.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/16767...92448?s=20

1 Thank you
2 Interesting info. Unexpected.
3 Wow - the Mavs are RECEIVING picks. That's a new day (are we finally seeing what life looks like with a GM who knows a bit about roster building and the need to have assets?). One of my mantras has been that the Mavs need to get a pick back, when they send one, and it looks like we are seeing that sort of mindset in play in the Mavs FO.
[-] The following 5 users Like F Gump's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, LifeAquatic, SleepingHero, Tyler
Like Reply
Now should the mavericks institute a ban on weird hair styles at game time unless it is a specific historic style once used by our ex Maverick Dennis the Rod Rodman? Seems like someone should do this out of an effort to kick Bullocks in the Buttocks on the way out the door.
[-] The following 1 user Likes myconsumerclub's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:48 PM)cow Wrote: Well, would you two 2x SRPs (if Woj's tweet is accurate) to swap McGee for Thybulle?  I was more talking about the Agent negotiating through the press to get his client to a preferred destination.  A huge assumption but if he's willing to sign an offer sheet...

" would you two 2x SRPs (if Woj's tweet is accurate) to swap McGee for Thybulle? " ... No. But I would offer one of them.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:53 PM)F Gump Wrote: " would you two 2x SRPs (if Woj's tweet is accurate) to swap McGee for Thybulle? " ... No. But I would offer one of them.

Don't think that is enough compensation.  Need a tip for routing Thybulle our way and a tip for the terrible McGee contract.  

Stein's been reporting the Mavs have a plan for McGee not being on the roster so that's at least one of the picks gone unless they are planning to use the SW.  I guess it comes down to how much they like Thybulle and who will blink first between Portland and us.  The "good" news no other team is blowing our offer out of the water which means no one trusts the small sample size of his shooting improving in Portland.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • mvossman, The Jom
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:57 PM)cow Wrote: Don't think that is enough compensation.  Need a tip for routing Thybulle our way and a tip for the terrible McGee contract.  

Stein's been reporting the Mavs have a plan for McGee not being on the roster so that's at least one of the picks gone unless they are planning to use the SW.  I guess it comes down to how much they like Thybulle and who will blink first between Portland and us.  The "good" news no other team is blowing our offer out of the water which means no one trusts the small sample size of his shooting improving in Portland.

I don't want to pay more in picks, because I think that's asking me to tip POR for doing what they were going to do anyhow (let MT leave at that number), so I would just do the offer sheet and see what happens.

Interestingly, a McGee-Holmes (without TK) combo would be a match that CHA could accept cap-wise as a match for PJW, and they would get 2 bigger players who aren't on long-term deals. That's probably a better use of a pick, and maybe 2. The alternative would be THJ making about the same salary as that pair.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 11:10 PM)F Gump Wrote: I don't want to pay more in picks, because I think that's asking me to tip POR for doing what they were going to do anyhow (let MT leave at that number), so I would just do the offer sheet and see what happens.

That's fair but if I'm Portland, I just match the offer and see if his shooting holds up for a season.  If he can maintain 38% outside shooting for a season, flipping the last two years of his contract will easily get you first round compensation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
From Stein on his Chat:

The Mavericks are asking the Thybulle question themselves as we speak. The behind-the-scenes rumbles have been that Portland would match. But there has plenty of skepticism, too. They genuinely don't know at this juncture.

More from Stein:

Even if the Mavs pull off both Grant Williams an Thybulle, YES they will still try to upgrade at center. They have to.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • audiosway, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
Stein thinks PJ Washington wants at least 18 mil annualy
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:24 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Boston oof

Smart and Grant out

Mavs steal O-Max one pick before 

KP in on a 3/90 ?!?!?!?

Celtics lost mental and physical toughness. And are one injury away from disaster. Brown getting close to the full supermax would really put into question if this team is past its peak

Really like Brad Stevens as a coach. Very very much. As GM? He looks like maybe the worst in the league now that MJ (and before him, Isaiah Thomas) are on the outside.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply