Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Booker Likes NYK? Vogel Out? Suns Imploding?
Luka - Hardy - Exum
Kyrie - Green - Seth
Williams - OMax
PJ - Maxi
Zubac - Lively - Powell

Make it happen.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(07-04-2023, 09:43 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Luka - Hardy - Exum
Kyrie - Green - Seth
Williams - OMax
PJ - Maxi
Zubac - Lively - Powell

Make it happen.

I like this other than I think PJ Washington and Grant Williams are a bit redundant, PJ is a 4/5 and Grant is basically a 4 only. I'd probably go with either one of PJ or Grant (I prefer PJ) along with Thybulle instead. Green and Thybulle can compete over the 5th starting spot.

How we can do it: 

Clippers trade some combination of Norm Powell, Morris, and Coffey + whatever for Harden and now need a reliable backup wing as insurance for their always injured stars. Trade Bullock for Zubac. Clippers get their wing and go with the cheaper Plumlee and Mavs get a center.

Hornets decide they don't want to pay PJ after drafting Miller and want a veteran shooter to teach the kids how to play. SnT PJ for Hardaway. PJ gets something like 3/51.

Switch Curry to the MLE and use the rest to throw an offer sheet at Thybulle. Save BAE for next year.

Offseason finished.

Luka/Curry/Exum
Kyrie/Hardy
Thybulle/Green
Washington/Kleber/Prosper
Zubac/Lively/Powell
[-] The following 2 users Like sterlingmallory's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Smitty
Like Reply
https://nypost.com/2023/07/04/a-potentia...the-table/

PG13 to the Knicks off the table?
Like Reply
https://hoopshype.com/lists/damian-lilla...look-like/

Here's what the Por/Mia/Brkln trade could look like.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/YossiGozlan/status/1...1574922245

Bol-Bol waived, who could claim him?

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/...9327563776
Like Reply
THJ for PJ straight up goes against all the reporting about the Mavs shopping him for 2 years and not finding a deal. Toppin just got 2 SRPs and Celtics are reportedly seeking a FRP for GWill. The negative contract of THJ plus giving up the rights to PJ is not gonna be that easy. If it is, Nico is pretty dang amazing.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 12:12 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: https://twitter.com/YossiGozlan/status/1...1574922245

Thanks for posting the synopsis with each tweet.  The links themselves don’t get me to the tweet, so I’m appreciative of the extra effort it takes to write out the basic idea.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Arioch, ItsGoTime, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(07-04-2023, 11:23 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: I like this other than I think PJ Washington and Grant Williams are a bit redundant, PJ is a 4/5 and Grant is basically a 4 only. I'd probably go with either one of PJ or Grant (I prefer PJ) along with Thybulle instead. Green and Thybulle can compete over the 5th starting spot.

How we can do it: 

Clippers trade some combination of Norm Powell, Morris, and Coffey + whatever for Harden and now need a reliable backup wing as insurance for their always injured stars. Trade Bullock for Zubac. Clippers get their wing and go with the cheaper Plumlee and Mavs get a center.

Hornets decide they don't want to pay PJ after drafting Miller and want a veteran shooter to teach the kids how to play. SnT PJ for Hardaway. PJ gets something like 3/51.

Switch Curry to the MLE and use the rest to throw an offer sheet at Thybulle. Save BAE for next year.

Offseason finished.

Luka/Curry/Exum
Kyrie/Hardy
Thybulle/Green
Washington/Kleber/Prosper
Zubac/Lively/Powell

This would be a fantastic outcome.  One of the beauties of Zubac, PJ and Thybulle is their age. You’d be moving to a group that is just entering their athletic prime and will have filled in the next generation behind them with Hardy, Green, Prosper and Lively.  I don’t know how we could do much better given the resources we have.

I think it is logical for Charlotte to prioritize THJ for two years over PJ for four.

It is hard to know why Portland wouldn’t match an offer for Thybulle that is just under $8mm.  It is just hard to know what their roster is going to be once Lillard is finally traded and where their priorities will lie.

To me, the most difficult to see is the Zubac trade.  Zubac for Reggie isn’t a balanced deal and we haven’t contemplated how we ship out Holmes and McGee in this deal.  Definitely need another outgoing resource here in my mind (which takes us to the Great 2027 Pick Debate of 2023). Personally, I think anything that gets us two of these players rather than three would still be a fantastic outcome.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 12:12 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: https://twitter.com/YossiGozlan/status/1...1574922245

Looks like we could use the remaining TPE to claim him. Special player (in a good and bad way) with lots to learn but i think he could help at PF, he plays more like a wing than a center. Rebounds very well, just don't let him shoot too many 3s. Minimum level contract, i'd give it a try if we find a roster spot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Halfnir's post:
  • StepBackJay
Like Reply
I don’t want to wade too deeply into the 2027 pick debate.  I will point out that the 2029 pick got us a top 20 player (though he is somewhat flawed and was a pending FA).  So, expectations for who this pick might bring should be high.

I’ve been thinking through how I might design compensation around something that nets us multiple players (since we have so little to trade).  LAC has a 2027 pick, but can’t trade it because they traded their 2026 to OKC (I think it is unprotected).  One way of compensating Philly for taking Holmes while we get Zubac is throwing an unprotected 2027 into the deal, but doing it in a way that benefits Philly without taking the Clippers completely out of the 2027 draft.  LAC could make the offer to Philly a best of Dallas or Clipper pick and retains the other (they have to have a pick, but it doesn’t have to be their own).

I wouldn’t trade an unprotected pick for Zubac (or Gafford since it came up).  But, if LAC sent me a second or two and that second rounder added to THJ got Charlotte to trade me PJ Washington AND it was done in a way I still had the MLE to offer to Thybulle (or part of the MLE), that starts to get interesting.  At that point, it isn’t a 2027 unprotected for Zubac, it is Zubac and a returning second that gets me PJ and a shot at Thybulle.
[-] The following 5 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump, omahen, Reunion Mav, Smitty, Tyler
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 01:06 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: THJ for PJ straight up goes against all the reporting about the Mavs shopping him for 2 years and not finding a deal. Toppin just got 2 SRPs and Celtics are reportedly seeking a FRP for GWill. The negative contract of THJ plus giving up the rights to PJ is not gonna be that easy. If it is, Nico is pretty dang amazing.

Timmy for PJ straight up seems a little lite, but there are reasons they have not been able to trade Timmy in the past.  That injury killed his trade value starting with the trade deadline two seasons ago when he was out for the rest of the year.  That also left question marks at the beginning of this last season and his early struggles coming back from injury didn't help.  I will argue that Timmy is at least neutral value right now and PJ on a big contract is potentially neutral in value as well depending on the size of the contract.  The question might not be is THJ worth PJ, it might be how much do we have to pay PJ in that scenario.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
Good stuff everyone. I did solve most of my being able to read twitter on here problems by signing up for twitter on my I phone. I still can’t read them on my office computer but then I can’t sign into this site there either.

I’m not opposed to using our 2027 first at this time for a player we need in his prime and I agree with high expectations for that pick. I really like that we have and appear to be keeping our young core. Pair them with two extremely good stars and some guys in their prime filling the holes and you have a team that you can grow.
Playing together brings continuity which absolutely still matters.
[-] The following 3 users Like Reunion Mav's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-04-2023, 06:51 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Why not Bol Bol?

Bol Bol can only be claimed by teams that have cap space or can absorb him into their trade exemption. From what I've read, Detroit gets 1st crack at him which is kinda ironic because they traded for him last year and the deal was rescinded because he failed his physical. I don't see the fit there unless they trade Bagley, Stewart, or Wiseman.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Chriswood_5/status/1...0061166592

@Chriswood_5
Worked my ass off for everything I got AND went undrafted AND still made it through .. trynna figure out when I developed haters lol …
Like Reply
Mavs will offer Thybulle.

Chris Haynes: "Portland Trail Blazers RFA Matisse Thybulle intends to sign an offer sheet with the Dallas Mavericks, league sources tell @NBAonTNT"

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/...6134065152
[-] The following 5 users Like Tyler's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, dirkfansince1998, mvossman, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
I’d lick Dwight’s chocolate starfish to get a player over 6’5”.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
I wonder how certain the Mavs are that Portland won't match a Thybulle offer?
Like Reply
Thybulle always seemed like a Josh replacement to me. Have to wonder if he would be moved for a legit Center if this goes through.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Okstate819's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 11:29 AM)Okstate819 Wrote: Thybulle always seemed like a Josh replacement to me. Have to wonder if he would be moved for a legit Center if this goes through.

I think that's entirely possible.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 11:25 AM)Winter Wrote: I wonder how certain the Mavs are that Portland won't match a Thybulle offer?

You can never be certain. But Thybulle has the same agent as Lillard. I'm sure Aaron Goodwin knows as much about what Portland is thinking with their future roster as anyone right now.
Like Reply