Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Booker Likes NYK? Vogel Out? Suns Imploding?
(07-01-2023, 01:31 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Elon put a rate limit in place. Unverified users can only view 600 tweets per day. Verified can do 6000 or something like that. It's just Elon further sabotaging his own app. I already got rate limited just scrolling for news the last hour or so.

Thanks. So this is it, than. I got some brief rate message and had no idea what is it about Smile Although to be honest, I don't believe I watched 600 tweets today.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:23 PM)F Gump Wrote: Holmes and McGee need to go, if Mavs are to upgrade at C. One of Hardaway or Bullock also, to have minutes for both Curry and Hardy.

A package of THJ, Holmes, McGee adds up to about 35M.

I still want to see Mavs get Gafford with Holmes, McGee, or both outgoing. But so far, no indication that getting DG would be a possibility at all.

Gafford would fit well here.  If only we had a couple of 2nd-round picks we could use in the trade.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:30 PM)cow Wrote: What are the odds that McGee is on the team to start the season?  I'm guessing he gets stretch waived if they can't dump him on someone else.

The problem is that such a move barely does anything to help this year's cap, and impacts 4 more years ahead.

A McGee s-w would reduce his cap number this year from 5.734M to 2.348M - but then you have one more slot to fill which costs you 2.019M. You're only saving 1.36M this year, and then losing 2.34M off your cap for each of the next 4 seasons. A bad trade-off.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:31 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Elon put a rate limit in place. Unverified users can only view 600 tweets per day. Verified can do 6000 or something like that. It's just Elon further sabotaging his own app. I already got rate limited just scrolling for news the last hour or so.

Limiting the number of views on a website that generates money through advertisements. Without a doubt the greatest mind of the 21st century.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • MFFL, Not an evil robot, RoyTarpleysGhost, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
Realistically speaking, despite the A+ offseason, barring any trades, once Dallas signs Powell, the starting lineup will look exactly like last season ended.

Luka and Kyrie will start; THJ and Bullock are the wings; and Powell is the center. That is until or unless someone steps up.

Green has a chance to crack the starting lineup in place of THJ but that would make the lineup even smaller.

Kleber might start over Bullock but who would guard the point of attack?

Holmes might start over Powell but is he healthy? Can he orchestrate the defense?

I think a bigger move should happen but you'll have to get value for guys like THJ, Bullock, McGee or Wood, that don't seem to have much value. Or you throw in a young player.
[-] The following 2 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • BigDirk41, F Gump
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:38 PM)F Gump Wrote: The problem is that such a move barely does anything to help this year's cap, and impacts 4 more years ahead.

A McGee s-w would reduce his cap number this year from 5.734M to 2.348M - but then you have one more slot to fill which costs you 2.019M. You're only saving 1.36M this year, and then losing 2.34M off your cap for each of the next 4 seasons. A bad trade-off.

Thanks for the math.  I'm not sure there is a good trade off though.  McGee seemed to do all the right things teammate last season so maybe him on the team isn't the end of the world even if Luka has no use for him.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:27 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Who the fuck cares about McGee? Seriously. So Cuban still broke or what?

You take your last 2nd round pick, you call the Wizards and they probably give you some Gallinari on top, too.

What kind of team gets hung up on that dumb McGee contract.

Mavs 2022 FA: Sign McGee.
Mavs 2023 FA: Can´t sign anybody cause of McGee.

I'm guessing its more about Lively, Holmes, and very likely Powell.  Not a lot of room after those three.  If they could move off Holmes it would make more snese.  I'm not a believer in Bamba anyways.  He has nice rim protection numbers but I don't think he has the lateral movement to be a positive defensive impact on the court.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:42 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Realistically speaking, despite the A+ offseason, barring any trades, once Dallas signs Powell, the starting lineup will look exactly like last season ended.

Luka and Kyrie will start; THJ and Bullock are the wings; and Powell is the center. That is until or unless someone steps up.

Green has a chance to crack the starting lineup in place of THJ but that would make the lineup even smaller.

Kleber might start over Bullock but who would guard the point of attack?

Holmes might start over Powell but is he healthy? Can he orchestrate the defense?

I think a bigger move should happen but you'll have to get value for guys like THJ, Bullock, McGee or Wood, that don't seem to have much value. Or you throw in a young player.

So if this would be really the end result of the summer, how is it an A+ offseason? Smile 

I really liked the moves so far. But starting wing and center are the two biggest needs. If this is not addressed, they don't get a high grade from me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Limiting the number of views on a website that generates money through advertisements. Without a doubt the greatest mind of the 21st century.

I'm starting to think it's just broken and he's just lying and saying he's doing it on purpose maybe to save face or something. I saw one guy say he made a new account and followed one single other account and he already got rate limited within a few minutes. Even brand new unverified accounts are supposed to be able to view 300 per day.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sterlingmallory's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:44 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: I'm starting to think it's just broken and he's just lying and saying he's doing it on purpose maybe to save face or something. I saw one guy say he made a new account and followed one single other account and he already got rate limited within a few minutes. Even brand new unverified accounts are supposed to be able to view 300 per day.

I just checked Shams and Woj in the morning, perhaps a couple of other tweets, but not more than half an hour in total. No way I looked at 600 tweets. 

Although now - if I click a link to a single tweet, like the ones published here, it opens it. But I can't see the tweeter accounts with all the tweets (like Shams, Woj,...)
Like Reply
Start: Luka, Kyrie, Josh, Maxi, Lively
Bench: O'Max, Davis, Powell, Curry, Hardy
Hopefully traded: THJ, Bullock, McGee, Holmes
Like Reply
Question 
For years, the Mavericks have prioritized older players with a lot of experience.  Presumably, this is because they always felt we were just a couple of veterans away from contending.  I think our current team is nowhere near contention and should just focus on adding young talent.  We have plenty of 30-something year old veterans at the moment.  Adding Seth Curry last night fits into their historical strategy of bringing in high-character, high-IQ veteran players on the decline.  

I hope they will emphasize youth and potential (as well as defense) on their further moves. 

Players who I think would make sense here and are still obtainable in free agency include the following:

Paul Reed (restricted free agent) who would fit perfectly.  Unfortunately, the Sixers would likely match the MLE.

Grant Williams-  not a good defender but is a good shooter, decent rebounder and is still young.

Matisse Thybulle-  would be my preference for full-MLE and might be obtainable if Portland chooses to rebuild with the Dame news.  Elite defender who would just have to make some open 3s here.  

Jock Landale-  good platoon center here.

Derrick Jones Jr-  good athlete and defender and still young.  

I think Bamba would be a great reclamation project here.  I'm troubled to learn that the Mavs think Holmes and McGee might be rotation players here and thus, they don't need another center.  Holmes and Mcgee will only have utility here as contracts to include in trades.  They might be useful next summer. 

Jalen Mcdaniels-  Pretty good defensively and good size.  Below-average offense.  Still young with potential to improve.  

My hope is we obtain one or two of the above with our MLE.  

Unfortunately, I anticipate we will split in between Torrey Craig and Blake Griffin.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:48 PM)cow Wrote: Start:  Luka, Kyrie, Josh, Maxi, Lively
Bench:  O'Max, Williams, Powell, Curry, Hardy
Hopefully traded:  THJ, Bullock, McGee, Holmes

Who is Williams?
Like Reply
We need at least one starter or this off-season is a huge fail. Push Maxi to an 18 minute bench role.

Is Thybulle big enough to start? I don’t love Grant Williams but he fits at the 4.

I think Holmes or Powell is the starting C right now. Lively is gonna play 10-12 minutes a game IMO.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • omahen, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Limiting the number of views on a website that generates money through advertisements. Without a doubt the greatest mind of the 21st century.

My clients stopped using Twitter within a week of the mess he created. 1st party data is probably more valuable to him than ad revenue.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:51 PM)omahen Wrote: Who is Williams?

Got my Cowboys and Kings confused.  Davis.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:53 PM)cow Wrote: Got my Cowboys and Kings confused.  Davis.

Who si Davis?
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:54 PM)omahen Wrote: Who si Davis?

Kings 3&D SG (UFA)
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:57 PM)cow Wrote: Kings 3&D SG (UFA)

Ah, ok. I thought you were listing only current Mavs, which got me confused. 

I don't like Davis. I don't think he has much D in that 3-D
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:44 PM)omahen Wrote: So if this would be really the end result of the summer, how is it an A+ offseason? Smile 

I really liked the moves so far. But starting wing and center are the two biggest needs. If this is not addressed, they don't get a high grade from me.

I mean they did draft Lively and Omax. They aren't starters, but they are defensive wings. Although a slim shot, I can see a long shot path for both of them playing their way to being in the lineup.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is an ideal, but it's not like they are bereft of defensive talent at those positions.

Further, they actually managed to right their wrongs from last summer and retain their big FA, and on a relatively friendly deal too. They also got a value vet deal that everyone in the league agrees was an A+ deal.

This summer has been a success imo. They retained the players they needed to retain.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply