Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
Numbers reversed from
Mavs(New)CBA
@CBAMavs
Like Reply
Great, now that Skin said that, it will most definitely be a MAX contract. Ugh!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-28-2023, 06:53 AM)MFFL Wrote: Assuming that Skin is right, who would prefer the deal to a decreasing number?

23-24 $44,285,714
24-25 $41,428,571
25-26 $38,571,429
26-27 $35,714,286
$160m
I prefer that, but for current cap reasons I think the $40M flat is reasonable.

I think raises should be for the young and prime players. Then flat/declining for 31+.
Like Reply
Mavs hit the draft. We will see if they made the right choices in time. Now they need to hit the FA and trade portion of the offseason. It is probably not smart for the rookies to be guys who impact winning from the start. The west is really deep and just like this past year, a few good breaks you could be a top 3 seed. But a few bad breaks and you are battling for a playin spot. Dallas needs to find guys who can impact winning now. They also need some more help at PF as right now they would be at a disadvantage against most front courts in the west.

The good thing is Luka is just that good. Get him guys that allows Luka to do Luka things and it can hide many holes. But at least one more guy is needed...probably 2.

I think my prediction is Bullock is not back next year. Just a guess. We will see.
Like Reply
Back to the discussion about PJ Washington (or Bridges or another 4/5 type from Charlotte for that matter).  If Ayton doesn't happen, I think we can apply the same formula to Hayward.  He is a $31.5mm expiring that clears THJ's money next season).  We have a trade spread credit still available from Bertans, so we don't have to actually match Hayward's salary with new outgoing money.  And, if we add a player to Hardaway/Holmes, we have room to bring back PJ or Bridges and Kai Jones or something like that.  

Charlotte has Bridges, PJ and newly drafted Brandon Miller to add to their big wing rotation.  Hayward is also part of that grouping.  Mark Williams is the C and they have Nick Richards, Kai Jones and JT Thor under contract as other bigs.  That is a bunch of front court players and they need to create some PT for Miller.  Meanwhile, they are thin at guard.

I won't go through all of the iterations, but an example of what could be done is Charlotte receives Holmes/Hardaway (outgoing for us is actually Bertans/THJ or $34.9mm which can bring back $43.9mm).  Dallas receives Hayward at $31.5mm and we still have $12mm of trade spread left.  If we add McGee or Reggie to the deal (they don't have to go to Charlotte, they just need to go), then you can get to all sorts of additional incoming money.  If Charlotte gets Reggie, for instance, there is room to start PJ at $20mm.  We could actually trade match more than that, but $20mm keeps us under the first apron.  We won't have the MLE any more, but we'll be adding Hayward and PJ for THJ/Reggie.

(06-28-2023, 07:16 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:  
I think raises should be for the young and prime players. Then flat/declining for 31+.

I like that as a philosophy.  I suspect it will be adopted frequently going forward.  

In the case of Kyrie, declining may be difficult depending on the number you have to hit to retain the MLE.  Flat may be the best you can hope for.  Of course, Kyrie is known for flat, so there is that.
[-] The following 7 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, dirkfansince1998, ItsGoTime, myconsumerclub, Nowitzki Way, Smitty
Like Reply
Logic would dictate that Charlotte only keeps one of Bridges and Washington. With our new focus on character, I doubt they are looking at Bridges. And I don´t know why you´d prioritize him over Washington, if you are Charlotte.

I think Charlotte has a tone of interesting pieces in

Hayward
Washington
Bridges
Mykhailiuk
Williams
Thor

If we could plunder them and Washington we are a contender.
Like Reply
(06-28-2023, 07:50 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Back to the discussion about PJ Washington (or Bridges or another 4/5 type from Charlotte for that matter).  If Ayton doesn't happen, I think we can apply the same formula to Hayward.  He is a $31.5mm expiring that clears THJ's money next season).  We have a trade spread credit still available from Bertans, so we don't have to actually match Hayward's salary with new outgoing money.  And, if we add a player to Hardaway/Holmes, we have room to bring back PJ or Bridges and Kai Jones or something like that.  

Charlotte has Bridges, PJ and newly drafted Brandon Miller to add to their big wing rotation.  Hayward is also part of that grouping.  Mark Williams is the C and they have Nick Richards, Kai Jones and JT Thor under contract as other bigs.  That is a bunch of front court players and they need to create some PT for Miller.  Meanwhile, they are thin at guard.

I won't go through all of the iterations, but an example of what could be done is Charlotte receives Holmes/Hardaway (outgoing for us is actually Bertans/THJ or $34.9mm which can bring back $43.9mm).  Dallas receives Hayward at $31.5mm and we still have $12mm of trade spread left.  If we add McGee or Reggie to the deal (they don't have to go to Charlotte, they just need to go), then you can get to all sorts of additional incoming money.  If Charlotte gets Reggie, for instance, there is room to start PJ at $20mm.  We could actually trade match more than that, but $20mm keeps us under the first apron.  We won't have the MLE any more, but we'll be adding Hayward and PJ for THJ/Reggie.

I like that as a philosophy.  I suspect it will be adopted frequently going forward.  

In the case of Kyrie, declining may be difficult depending on the number you have to hit to retain the MLE.  Flat may be the best you can hope for.  Of course, Kyrie is known for flat, so there is that.

Hayward is tough to swallow but it makes sense for CHA to clear some PT for others. Does he have a 15% trade kicker? 

If you told me we could get PJ for THJ/Reggie I’d be ecstatic, so I like it. Anything you get from Hayward this year would just be a bonus.
Like Reply
(06-28-2023, 05:09 AM)Okstate819 Wrote: If Skin ends up being right this will be the first time. Cuban fan boy will then blame Mavs fans for whatever happens.

Never cared much for Skin or his reporting.
Like Reply
(06-27-2023, 11:24 PM)cow Wrote: You lack the basic understanding of the stages of roster construction, rebuilding, and tweaking.  Being laser focused is foolish as there might not be a good opportunity to upgrade the place of need given a the current assets on a team.   The Mavs roster is in a different phase from Boston's just like it is in a different phase from Utah's so comparing them is foolish.

There's not a thread of substance in your assertion.  How is identifying that we have a broken down Maxi who played fewer than 1,000 minutes last year as our only championship contribute now big a "laser focus".  Seems more like calling water wet.

But by all means, continue to focus on building a roster of Luka and all guards.  Nellie died, by the way.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(06-28-2023, 12:07 AM)mvossman Wrote: I think this is where a lot of folks disagree.  Luka's best position defensively is probably the 4.  Omax can also play the 4.  It would probably be ideal to get another rotational player that can play the 4, but I don't think its as critical as you are making it out to be.  We are probably going to be a little undersized, but we showed two years ago you can still be successful.  I think the team made it clear on draft day that the focus is more long term than it has been in the past.  If that means we go a little small this coming season, then so be it.

So what's your solution to this?  Bruce Brown, lol?

Let's go best care scenario, Gawd owed us a favor.

Lively is Mark Williams. 19mins in 43 games.  0.8k mins.
OMax is Jae Crowder.  17mins in 78 games.  1.3k mins.
Holmes turns back the clock 2 years.  24mins in 45 games.  1.0k mins.

SF: Covered.
PF: OMax 1.3k mins.  50% of Holmes 0.5k mins.  Still need 1.3k minutes.
C: Lively 0.8k mins, 50% of Holmes 0.5k mins.  Still need 2.7k minutes.
Like Reply
(06-28-2023, 08:49 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: So what's your solution to this?  Bruce Brown, lol?

Let's go best care scenario, Gawd owed us a favor.

Lively is Mark Williams. 19mins in 43 games.  0.8k mins.
OMax is Jae Crowder.  17mins in 78 games.  1.3k mins.
Holmes turns back the clock 2 years.  24mins in 45 games.  1.0k mins.

SF: Covered.
PF: OMax 1.3k mins.  50% of Holmes 0.5k mins.  Still need 1.3k minutes.
C: Lively 0.8k mins, 50% of Holmes 0.5k mins.  Still need 2.7k minutes.

It would be:

PF: Luka/Maxi/OMax/Brown
C:  Holmes/Lively/Maxi/McGee/(possibly Powell)

Holmes would never play PF.  He is strictly a center.  Brown could play some small ball minutes at the 4.  He plays bigger than his size.  Like I said, we are small.  We are basically going to be a center, 3 wings and a guard.
Like Reply
(06-28-2023, 08:37 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Never cared much for Skin or his reporting.

His beer sucks too
Like Reply
Kyrie asking for extra years almost feels like he is looking for an retirement contract. Given the flight risk and potential off court issues I would let him walk before I offer a 4-5 year deal but I guess the Mavs are past the point of no return and Kyrie dictates the terms.

3/120 flat would be my offer. Take it or find a team that offers more. Only way he can get an extra year would be a Bertans-like model. Optional if he plays a certain amount of games/minutes.
Like Reply
(06-28-2023, 09:15 AM)mvossman Wrote: It would be:

PF: Luka/Maxi/OMax/Brown
C:  Holmes/Lively/Maxi/McGee/(possibly Powell)

Holmes would never play PF.  He is strictly a center.  Brown could play some small ball minutes at the 4.  He plays bigger than his size.  Like I said, we are small.  We are basically going to be a center, 3 wings and a guard.

Do the math.  You need about 4k minutes at each of the 5 positions.  Just listing a name is not enough.  What are your projections on how much each can play?  How many minutes?  Brown at PF???  Are you being served?  Holmes to start?????

Calling guards "wings" doesn't make them not guards.  Bullock, THJ, and Green are tweener SG/SF.  Ditto with Brown.  So you've got 6 guards in the rotation in Kyrie, Green, Hardy, Bullock, THJ, and now Brown.  Luka as a PF/SF.  Maxi who played 929 minutes last year.  Holmes who last year played 349 minutes.  Lively who played only 20 minutes in college and was completely invisible in many games.  OMax, a rookie.  Heavy minutes for McGee.  And bringing back Powell?????????

You are presenting a Luka exit plan.
Like Reply
(06-28-2023, 09:28 AM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: His beer sucks too

Never had the displeasure to try it.  Skin is a jock-sniffing hipster.
Like Reply
(06-28-2023, 09:36 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Kyrie asking for extra years almost feels like he is looking for an retirement contract. Given the flight risk and potential for off court issues I would let him walk before I offer a 4-5 year deal but I guess the Mavs are past the point of no return and Kyrie dictates the terms.

A 3+1 descending contract for the least amount of money realistically possible is the most ideal scenario.

4/160 descending would start him right around 44.5 and descend all the way to 35 in his last year.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Quote:Brown at PF???  Are you being served?

Take a look at Nets lineups that featured Brown. On offense he basically was a small ball big. Screener and rim roller. On defense he guarded bigger players all the time because Kyrie/Harden/Harris/Curry/Mills couldn´t do it.

https://www.basketballinsiders.com/news/...ll-center/
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • F Gump, SleepingHero
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status...08931?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

NBACentral (@TheNBACentral)
The Cavs are open to potential Darius Garland trades, per @AmicoHoops

Its Amico so take with a grain of salt, but didnt Windhorst also allude to CLE having some spicy deals set up?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-27-2023, 09:59 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I think Tari Eason would be a perfect fit here.  Unfortunately, he is not available.  

Unless the Clippers decide to blow it up, Zubac isn't available either.  

Zach Collins would be fine as well.  He probably is available.  I think he is just good enough to require an asset to acquire though.  I don't think he's good enough to justify sending our 2027 pick out.  We don't have any 2nd-round picks to trade.  I don't see how we can acquire him.  I think the same about Daniel Gafford-  would be a good fit but we don't have the means to obtain him.

Everyone is available.  

Eason for J.Green.
Z.Collins for 2027FRP.

Kyrie, Hardy
Bullock, THJ 
Luka, OMax
Eason, Maxi
Z.Collins, Lively
Like Reply
Just an across the sports spectrum buyer beware statement... Overpaying for championship role players rarely pays off. Those backup minutes on outstanding teams are not analogous to starter minutes on a good team.

(06-28-2023, 09:46 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Take a look at Nets lineups that featured Brown. On offense he basically was a small ball big. Screener and rim roller. On defense he guarded bigger players all the time because Kyrie/Harden/Harris/Curry/Mills couldn´t do it.

https://www.basketballinsiders.com/news/...ll-center/

There you go with your Delorean again.  The key is predicting two years out, not projecting from 2 years previous.
Like Reply