Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Booker Likes NYK? Vogel Out? Suns Imploding?
(06-25-2023, 10:27 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Teams over Apron 1 ($172 mil) cannot use S&T to receive a player...

Thanks. Didn’t know that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes soog's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
I hope we don't prioritize either Dillon Brooks or Kuzma
Better than what we ended last season with so I can live with either if we're forced into it several days in but I'll be bummed if pass up more impactful options.
Like Reply
(06-25-2023, 07:36 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Going in with an offer of 1+1 with a 2+1 take it or leave it attitude is guns a blazin.

Yeah it is, but that's me going in guns blazin based on what I do, I'm not expecting the Mavs FO to go in like that (though I'd love it if they would). I was just reassured by their comments that they wouldn't go the other end and just offer him max money and max length.

(06-25-2023, 12:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Honestly incredible points but I do want to suggest that I think you're underrating Kyrie's offense.

Kyrie as a 6'2 guard has been one of the most efficient offensive players of all time. In fact, running a Kyrie Irving iso play has been the 12th most efficient play of the last 15 years. This year he had 247 possessions and a whopping 1.28ppp on isolations. If he qualified for possessions it'd be just behind a Steph offball screen with KD on his team.

https://twitter.com/CrumpledJumper/statu...15617?s=20

That kind of offensive firepower has never been on our team. Even Brunson at his peak this year hasn't come close (1.10ppp). 

Just framing Kyrie's offensive brilliance. I do agree giving him an extension would be a perilous endeavor and his reputation precedes him. Where I diverge is if the Mavs fail to turn Kyrie into 2-3 rotation players, then they're pretty F'd. I'd rather they negotiate from a position of leverage, get Kyrie on a ~40 mil deal, and see how it works out. If it works then they're in the green and they just have to pray Kyrie doesn't be Kyrie. If it doesn't then they can flip him to the highest bidder.

I agree, but he's done that in many places and I think there is something to the impact that Kyrie has had in a negative way to other teams in terms of the team chemistry aspect (as well as the defensive issues I mentioned). Particularly in Boston, and talk about his locker room presence after he left weren't great. When there is smoke, there's usually fire and multiple players have intimated he's been an issue. He's also mostly always had great starts with teams he's gone too before things start to go off the rails. Maybe it's a bit more off court than on. If Kyrie had zero baggage and wasn't a proven head case I'd be much more onboard with offering him more and for longer.

Being able to turn Kyrie into some decent players in return is why I'm not for offering him too much length on his contract. Honestly, the moves the Mavs make (or don't make) going into FA and trades, will probably influence how much I feel keeping Kyrie is necessary to keep the team on track to where it needs to be. I think I'm putting too much faith in someone like Hardy (though I think he could score close to 20 a game next season on solid efficiency given the minutes and shots), and whatever reinforcements we get before the season starts, to where I think we can do fine without him. This team does not have to be top 5 in offense (which it should easily be with Luka and Kyrie) to be a contender if the defense looks more like it did in 21-22. It could be say top 10-12 in both categories and be a better team than last year.
[-] The following 2 users Like Dundalis's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(06-25-2023, 12:44 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I'll add that Kyrie isn't the problem on offense. It's our mega superstar Luka. He's the one that needs to adapt to a more flowing offense. At this point, I don't know why any star or superstar would want to play with Luka. I love Luka and he's a generational talent, future hof player and so on, but if this team is going to win championships, he has to get better without the ball.

I agree with this, but Luka also intimated that last season was the first time he basically didn't enjoy playing basketball at all in his career. For someone like him who's love for playing the game is infectious and clearly drives him since he despises doing any of the necessary training involved to be in good condition to play, that's a pretty eye opening statement. And he seemed to blame it at least partially on the poor locker room environment. So you have the factor of not only a poorly conditioned Luka which we've seen before, but a Luka who stopped enjoying playing.

Fingers crossed both things get better next season, but especially the enjoying playing part, and the new guys we are bringing in being great locker room guys and good people hopefully impacts the locker room positively.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dundalis's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1673166578391687168

Quote:Report: Dwight Powell is a Houston Rockets free agency target, per
@Jonathan_Feigen
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 06:28 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1673166578391687168

This is outstanding news!!!
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 04:51 AM)Dundalis Wrote: I agree with this, but Luka also intimated that last season was the first time he basically didn't enjoy playing basketball at all in his career. For someone like him who's love for playing the game is infectious and clearly drives him since he despises doing any of the necessary training involved to be in good condition to play, that's a pretty eye opening statement. And he seemed to blame it at least partially on the poor locker room environment. So you have the factor of not only a poorly conditioned Luka which we've seen before, but a Luka who stopped enjoying playing.

Fingers crossed both things get better next season, but especially the enjoying playing part, and the new guys we are bringing in being great locker room guys and good people hopefully impacts the locker room positively.

Luka's love for the game seemed to be struggling prior to the Kyrie trade.  I'm guessing it was a combination of missing some of his buddies, losing more games, and I would not be surprised if Wood was a negative locker room factor.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Tyler
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 09:19 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: This is outstanding news!!!

We shall see.  He has been overexposed but that is because we have never had better options.  I would much rather have Powell as my 3rd center than McGee.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • haveitall, KillerLeft, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 06:28 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1673166578391687168

Maybe S&T for Sengun to soften the blow on our end. And here I thought it would be Kyrie that uses Houston for leverage. Big Grin
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 10:30 AM)mvossman Wrote: We shall see.  He has been overexposed but that is because we have never had better options.  I would much rather have Powell as my 3rd center than McGee.

I´d rather have JJB as my 3rd center. He´d draw more charges than McGee blocks shots and probably rebounds better, too. Big Grin 

I still think the best bet to get rid of McGee is LeBron. Lakers are not that stupid, but might not care enough to argue with Bron about McGee for Bamba.
Like Reply

Houston's kiddos sure could use a mentor and team guy like Dwight Powell.  Even if they have to overpay him, it will not be by much.  Only issue is that the Mavs are needy of that same locker room presence.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
Will Woj and Shams be able to announce moves on June 30th this year? or do we have to wait until the moratorium ends on July 6th?
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 11:00 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Will Woj and Shams be able to announce moves on June 30th this year?  or do we have to wait until the moratorium ends on July 6th?

They will announce a bunch as soon as FA opens at 5:00 PM on Friday
Like Reply
John Collins to Utah in a dump deal.

Supposedly Marc Stein said in his latest column that Naz Reid would have been someone Dallas had interest in for the MLE.
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 12:49 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: John Collins to Utah in a dump deal. 

Supposedly Marc Stein said in his latest column that Naz Reid would have been someone Dallas had interest in for the MLE.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1673386654373928960

Quote:ESPN Sources: The Hawks are finalizing a trade to send F/C John Collins to the Jazz for Rudy Gay and a future second-round pick. Atlanta’s largely unloading Collins’ three years, $78M for some roster building flexibility and alignment with looming changes to salary cap.
Like Reply
I knew his value was low but that's a little surprising.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply

My Rocket wish is they'll want a S&T for Powell rather than just signing him.  Tate or Eason would be a great pickup.  They're 4 deep at SF right now: Porter Jr, Martin Jr, Tate, Eason.

Like Reply
Utah has a weird roster, but the talent is pretty good. Pretty crowded front court. I wonder what they do at Point guard though. I wonder if they will look to move on from Olynyk?
Like Reply
Utah and Dallas were the two teams rumored to be in on Kuzma. Wonder if this softens his market enough to get him via S&T at a more palatable $ figure.
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 01:00 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: Utah and Dallas were the two teams rumored to be in on Kuzma. Wonder if this softens his market enough to get him via S&T at a more palatable $ figure.

My palatable figure for Kuzma in a Mavs uni is $0.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • DrMav, F Gump, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply