Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
On to Kyrie’s signing. I really think $40M is the right starting money. That gets him a $2M raise from this year’s money, puts him on par with Luka’s contract (I really don’t think this is much of a big deal at all) and gives us a path to getting at least the MLE to use (BAE would be a lot tougher without more money saving deals). 

Now, years and raises? There is the other thing. Like Stein, I’d hope for a 1+1, but also like Stein, that is not the way to Kyrie’s head/heart. Sounds like 4 years to match up with Luka expiring is the right way to go. I’ve pitched 5 years at lesser money, but I think that raise is also important.

If we’re going 4 years, I really hope we pitch and it’s acceptable for there to be no raises. Flat $40M gives us room in the years going forward, and it really matches what his level of play will be at (well…declining salary is probably more accurate, but we’re trying to be delicate with this whole thing).

So, in my mind, 4/$160M is probably the best we should hope for given the circumstances.
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 06:47 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: You also get Gafford, who is just 24 years old. You basically set at C for the next five year paying 17M to Gafford/Lively. Kuzma is a good scorer and passer, which we lack in the front court with Wood gone. i´m not that attached to Kuzma. I want Gafford. He seems the perfect Hayward to Lively´s Tyson. Big Grin

Also watching more highlights of Lively. He ain´t no WCS. The way I see it, I´d probably have taken Lively at #10 too, when Hendricks was gone. I think his ceiling is not as high as the Mavs might believe with the shooting hype. I think his ceiling is Jarrett Allen. Here is the catch. I think his floor is also Jarrett Allen. You just picked up Jarrett Allen for $4M/year.

Luka throwing lob passes to Mr. Fantastic with 7´7 wingspan instead of T-Rex arms Dwight. Show me the money. He´ll also get a lot of putbacks on offensive rebounds. He also runs the floor well. He moves his feet well. Excellent fluidity. Motor seems fine.

Why you so happy?
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 07:28 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Why you so happy?

That´s what happens, when you don´t do dumb sh*t, Mark. You should try it more often. Tongue

Also think a lot of what the Mavs do next depends on Portland. If they trade Lillard, I think Grant becomes the #1 target with that 2027 1st round pick.
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 07:32 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: That´s what happens, when you don´t do dumb sh*t, Mark. You should try it more often. Tongue

Also think a lot of what the Mavs do next depends on Portland. If they trade Lillard, I think Grant becomes the #1 target with that 2027 1st round pick.
Just getting out of the way and letting the basketball professionals do their job would make him so much better. He can then fire them if they aren’t doing a good job. 

Hamstringing them with his fantasy trade demands cuts them off at the knees and his subordinates start to look to work around him and go directly to Cuban.
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 06:37 AM)Dundalis Wrote: Don't really like Kyle Kuzma. He's a volume low efficiency scorer who doesn't play much of any defense. Career 33% from 3, and never been above 55% TS. Why exactly do we need this on our team? I don't want someone who's a literal ball hog jacking up low efficiency shots who doesn't even really help the team on defense. He's actually exactly the type of player this team doesn't need. Ideally he goes back to the lower usage player he was his last year in LA, but that player isn't worth giving that much up for, and again, no defense. Useless addition imo, that might even be a hindrance offensively to the development of a Green or Hardy who can actually knock down shots at a much better clip than he can.

Kuzma does play defense, or did last year.  He's slightly above average for a SF/PF.  I do agree with your sentiment.  With Luka/Kyrie as our nucleus, we need to target players like Zubac, Z.Collins, Naz Reid, J.Allen.
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 08:25 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Kuzma does play defense, or did last year.  He's slightly above average for a SF/PF.  I do agree with your sentiment.  With Luka/Kyrie as our nucleus, we need to target players like Zubac, Z.Collins, Naz Reid, J.Allen.

Zubac, Collins, Reid, and Allen. What are you offering for them? You don't have assets.
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 08:31 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Zubac, Collins, Reid, and Allen. What are you offering for them? You don't have assets.
Still have the 27 unprotected.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 08:31 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Zubac, Collins, Reid, and Allen. What are you offering for them? You don't have assets.

Huh?  Of course we do.  MLE, 2025 FRP, 2025 SRP, 2026 FRP, 2027 FRP, 2028 FRP, Green, THJ, Holmes, Bullock, McGee, Wood S&T, Powell S&T.

Ideally, I want Zubac and Z.Collins.  Resign Wood.  Also get a young defensive wing like Tari Eason.

Luka, ???
Kyrie, Hardy
Eason, OMax
Z.Collins, Wood
Zubac, Lively

(06-23-2023, 08:37 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Still have the 27 unprotected.

Don't we have  2025 FRP, 2025 SRP, 2026 FRP, 2027 FRP, 2028 FRP?
Like Reply
I think PF needs to be the position we have to address, at least short term. I don't see many guys who interest me who would be really good MLE targets. Maybe a few of them if their market was squeezed but I generally few most of these guys over MLE. So maybe it is a trade.

Ideally I would like to keep our future first for later once we see how the roster fits. Maybe use it at the trade deadline or next year. Unless I found an opp that I couldn't pass on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 09:02 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think PF needs to be the position we have to address, at least short term. I don't see many guys who interest me who would be really good MLE targets.  Maybe a few of them if their market was squeezed but I generally few most of these guys over MLE.  So maybe it is a trade. 

Ideally I would like to keep our future first for later once we see how the roster fits.  Maybe use it at the trade deadline or next year.  Unless I found an opp that I couldn't pass on.

If you end up holding on to it all year then you can pair it with 2031 as well if you really want to beef up a trade offer.

(06-23-2023, 08:46 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Don't we have  2025 FRP, 2025 SRP, 2026 FRP, 2027 FRP, 2028 FRP?

Have you spent all summer under the impression we have up to 4 first round picks to trade? You may want to brush up on the Stepien Rule.
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 08:46 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Huh?  Of course we do.  MLE, 2025 FRP, 2025 SRP, 2026 FRP, 2027 FRP, 2028 FRP, Green, THJ, Holmes, Bullock, McGee, Wood S&T, Powell S&T.

Ideally, I want Zubac and Z.Collins.  Resign Wood.  Also get a young defensive wing like Tari Eason.

Luka, ???
Kyrie, Hardy
Eason, OMax
Z.Collins, Wood
Zubac, Lively

Don't we have  2025 FRP, 2025 SRP, 2026 FRP, 2027 FRP, 2028 FRP?

Wood is not coming back here after how he was used.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dirknows's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 09:06 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: If you end up holding on to it all year then you can pair it with 2031 as well if you really want to beef up a trade offer.

Have you spent all summer under the impression we have up to 4 first round picks to trade? You may want to brush up on the Stepien Rule.

Or you can answer my question????

(06-23-2023, 09:08 AM)Dirknows Wrote: Wood is not coming back here after how he was used.

Worse sports relationships have been salvaged.  The way the FO functioned last night, I hope they continue that on how they manage the roster and Kidd.
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 09:25 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Or you can answer my question????

You can’t have consecutive years out into the future without a FRP. Because of the protection on the pick we owe the Knicks it means it could technically end up conveying in 2024 or 2025 so both those picks are off limits and because you need to have a FRP available every other year it makes 2026 off limits. Because we traded 2029 for Kyrie it means 2028 and 2030 are off limits. 

Probably should have been a little more diplomatic about calling you out but you post a ton and the state of our assets has been spoken about nonstop. It’s essentially at the foundation of every conversation we have here.
[-] The following 3 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, Not an evil robot
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 09:30 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: You can’t have consecutive years out into the future without a FRP. Because of the protection on the pick we owe the Knicks it means it could technically end up conveying in 2024 or 2025 so both those picks are off limits and because you need to have a FRP available every other year it makes 2026 off limits. Because we traded 2029 for Kyrie it means 2028 and 2030 are off limits. 

Probably should have been a little more diplomatic about calling you out but you post a ton and the state of our assets has been spoken about nonstop. It’s essentially at the foundation of every conversation we have here.
Yep, because of that, we have the 27 we can trade, it should be unprotected cause it can’t go to 28 due to 29 being gone. Next year, the 24 will convey and we’ll have use of the 25 and 31 for trade, so there’s little reason to hold onto the 27 if we find a trade that will upgrade us next year.
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 09:02 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think PF needs to be the position we have to address, at least short term. I don't see many guys who interest me who would be really good MLE targets.  Maybe a few of them if their market was squeezed but I generally few most of these guys over MLE.  So maybe it is a trade. 

Ideally I would like to keep our future first for later once we see how the roster fits.  Maybe use it at the trade deadline or next year.  Unless I found an opp that I couldn't pass on.
After our trade deadline deal players not meshing well last season, I’d prefer getting guys in the training camp to start fresh with eachother. I wouldn’t be careless with the pick but I would shop with using it in mind.
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 09:30 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: You can’t have consecutive years out into the future without a FRP. Because of the protection on the pick we owe the Knicks it means it could technically end up conveying in 2024 or 2025 so both those picks are off limits and because you need to have a FRP available every other year it makes 2026 off limits. Because we traded 2029 for Kyrie it means 2028 and 2030 are off limits. 

This is the first time I listed picks as assets and immediately asked the question.  Not sure if it's possible to be more diplomatic in my assertion.

So we only have 2027, right?
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 10:03 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: This is the first time I listed picks as assets and immediately asked the question.  Not sure if it's possible to be more diplomatic in my assertion.

So we only have 2027, right?
Yes, barring a trade that gets back one of our 2 picks out there (or someone else’s pick) 27 unprotected is essentially what we have to give a team in trade.

We’ve now seen 2 instances where Green was requested and denied by us. Looks like they want him here to stay.
[-] The following 2 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 09:45 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: After our trade deadline deal players not meshing well last season, I’d prefer getting guys in the training camp to start fresh with eachother. I wouldn’t be careless with the pick but I would shop with using it in mind.

Spot on.  Huge trade deadline turnover shoots that year's load of going far.  I was shocked at how far LAL went this year with so much turnover.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 10:07 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Spot on.  Huge trade deadline turnover shoots that year's load of going far.  I was shocked at how far LAL went this year with so much turnover.
Sometimes the players just mesh well. We saw that with Dinwiddie when he got here. It can’t be counted on, and I do question if Kyrie is the one that was the bad mesher. I remember a quote from him saying they needed a training camp to get right or something like that.
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 10:05 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: We’ve now seen 2 instances where Green was requested and denied by us. Looks like they want him here to stay.

What were the two instances?  I recall hearing about these but I can't remember the specifics.
Like Reply