Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
Now onto the CP3 trade

Any interest in the LAC vets?

The Wizards have a TPE from the Rui trade that can fit Mcgee. Wizards could create a large TPE doing something like this. It’s the right move for them

There’s a deal in there somewhere
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 05:38 PM)omahen Wrote: I don't think he will be happy as fourth option. I think he gets traded for depth and flexibility.

Washington will sell all vets, imho. They are keeping Paul and it seems Clippers are interested. Washington will get some vets on decent contract and minor assets. They can flip those vets. So fans of guys like Covington, Morris or Gordon can start dreaming Smile Lakers is another option, probably sending Russel to Washington.

Let's trade Bertans and expirings for Porzingis.
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 05:44 PM)MFFL Wrote: I doubt seriously that Phoenix will take our pile of crap for Ayton. Their owner doesn't care about LT and Ayton is a decent player, just overpaid

It doesnt matter what the owner thinks.  Its a players and agents league.  Owners are often times at the mercy of these forces.

Moreover the new constraints of the CBA for overspending aren't luxury tax only, there are many more that affect team building (non use of MLE, lowering of draft pick and lowering precentage on salary matching trades, ect)

Ayton didn't like his role on the team last season as 3rd or 4th option to CP3, Book, KD, and pouted about his lack of respect/touches and showed it by not giving much effort on the defensiveend.  You think he is going to be happy being a definite fourth option to Beal, Book, KD?  Think his team is going to let him destroy the locker room culture again bc of his unhappiness of his role.  Call me skeptical.

Ayton will get moved for depth and likely peanuts, much like the Mavs did with KP.  PHX needs to fill out its bench and restock draft assests (likely 2nd rounders) bc they have none to improve the roster on the cheap.
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 05:01 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I don’t have a good read on Ayton at this point.  Phoenix should probably try to get 2-3 guys who are 5th-7th man types.  Surely some other team has more of these type pieces who are better than Reggie, Maxi and McGee.  It doesn’t feel to me like Dallas can get something like that done without at least some draft compensation or one of our youngsters (not necessarily #10…could be the pick(s) we have left after a trade down).

Financially speaking, THJ would be a desirable piece for Phoenix for his declining contract. For example, THJ+McGee is a trade match now and the savings would grow to $8.5mm when the next season starts. That would give Phoenix a lot more flexibility in filling out the roster while staying under the 2nd apron.
Like Reply
Are the Wzards starting over?
They can't surely think KP+Kuzma+whoever gets them somewhere.

And both can hit free agency.

Signed and traded Wood + Reggie + 2027 pick enough for Kuz?
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 08:19 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Are the Wzards starting over?
They can't surely think KP+Kuzma+whoever gets them somewhere.

And both can hit free agency.

Signed and traded Wood + Reggie + 2027 pick enough for Kuz?

When in a rebuild it is best to cut out as much the cap space as possible then take on the leagues bad contracts for drafts assests.  That's were it seems the Wiz are headed.

The team with the most draft capital are in the best position to rebuild quickly.

As far as Kuz, I know he kills the Mavs every time they play, but againt the rest of the league he is a very inefficient volume scorer on a tanking team. I don't know if he brings much to winning.

If he comes on a team friendly contract that can be moved later, then sure. I doubt he does that bc he is looking to get paid.
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 02:06 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Barnes for the MLE would be a great signing tbh.

Fuck no.  He's a great guy so I feel bad saying it but he's a LOSER like Tobias Harris.  He'll find a way to brick the most important shot in a playoff game.  I dont give a shit about advanced stats.  I do not want Harrison Barnes or Tobias Harris or Ben Simmons or Deandre Ayton.

I feel the same way about Josh Green until he proves otherwise.
[-] The following 4 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • BigDirk41, F Gump, HoosierDaddyKid, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Dude was -62 in an equally matched playoff series that went 7 games.

I was literally vomiting watching him play against GS this year.
Like Reply
Some more rumors:

https://twitter.com/seandeveney/status/1...07297?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

Quote:PHX knows Deandre Ayton trades are on the backburner but after Bradley Beal deal, @Suns "are confident" in a trade.
Exec: "Not everybody is going to get just what they want in the next 2 weeks. He is going to look very good (then)."
More @HeavyOnSports:

https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/...36160?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

Quote:Mavs are noted here to have “other priorities” despite being mentioned as a longtime potential destination for Deandre Ayton
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 09:32 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Some more rumors:

https://twitter.com/seandeveney/status/1...07297?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/...36160?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

More negotiating through the media.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • AgGiE1991, SleepingHero, Tyler
Like Reply
Does anyone else feel bad for Wiz fans?

The trade package they got for their franchise player who they super maxed and stayed loyal to is a joke.

I know MC has made some terrible decisions lately but giving Beal (a good player but not a super star) a super max and no trade clause then getting nothing in a trade return is criminal. 

Mark Bartlestien owes the Wiz a ton.  Making a trade for another teams franchise player while that team gets nothing in return so his son benefits is something.
[-] The following 3 users Like Luka77's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, rocky164
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 08:00 PM)Tyler Wrote: Financially speaking, THJ would be a desirable piece for Phoenix for his declining contract. For example, THJ+McGee is a trade match now and the savings would grow to $8.5mm when the next season starts. That would give Phoenix a lot more flexibility in filling out the roster while staying under the 2nd apron.

I’ve been preaching a while about the same agent relationship with the Phoenix FO as Beal.  But, after adding Beal, is THJ a positional fit?

Hardwood Knocks host does not like the idea of giving up Maxi and Reggie in an Ayton deal (and certainly not Green).  Dallas doesn’t need to give up D.  His suggestion was THJ/Bertans and 10.  Personally, I like doing one of the trade downs first and grabbing an extra pick.  Send Bertans to Utah for 16/28 and Olynyk with THJ, Olynyk and 16 going to Phoenix and Dallas keeps 28.  All of the best Dallas defenders are retained, we get a pick and we get Ayton.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 09:54 PM)Luka77 Wrote: Does anyone else feel bad for Wiz fans?

The trade package they got for their franchise player who they super maxed and stayed loyal to is a joke.

I know MC has made some terrible decisions lately but giving Beal (a good player but not a super star) a super max and no trade clause then getting nothing in a trade return is criminal. 

Mark Bartlestien owes the Wiz a ton.  Making a trade for another teams franchise player while that team gets nothing in return is something.

The lesson for MC is never give a no-trade clause.  It crushed Beal’s value.

BTW, THIS is what you worry about regarding Luka’s timeline.  He will absolutely stay the next two seasons, turn down his PO to be replaced by the beginning of his Super Max extension and play the 26/27 season just like Beal did.  The time to worry is the summer heading into 27/28.  So, the timeline isn’t this year, it is three years from now.  The urgency, to me, is more about KI aging out before we add enough pieces around the two of them.
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 10:14 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The lesson for MC is never give a no-trade clause.  It crushed Beal’s value.

BTW, THIS is what you worry about regarding Luka’s timeline.  He will absolutely stay the next two seasons, turn down his PO to be replaced by the beginning of his Super Max extension and play the 26/27 season just like Beal did.  The time to worry is the summer heading into 27/28.  So, the timeline isn’t this year, it is three years from now.  The urgency, to me, is more about KI aging out before we add enough pieces around the two of them.

This is benefits of having a good mixture of young talent and win ready vets.  Once the aging vets play decline, the hope is your young talent steps up and expands their game to fill in the void.

If KI starts to decline the hope would be Hardy, Green and #10 pick up much of the slack in scoring and playmaking while KI still plays a back seat role.
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 10:25 PM)Luka77 Wrote: This is benefits of having a good mixture of young talent and win ready vets.  Once the aging vets play decline, the hope is your young talent steps up and expands their game to fill in the void.

If KI starts to decline the hope would be Hardy, Green and #10 pick up much of the slack in scoring and playmaking while KI still plays a back seat role.

That is the ideal.  Much of what we “know” about Cuban’s approach is based on his relentless pursuit of a second star.  Now that he has that, will there be greater patience to build around them for the long haul.  Or, will there be an impatient all-in move?  Hard to know since we’ve never had two stars to build around.
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 10:14 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The urgency, to me, is more about KI aging out before we add enough pieces around the two of them.

So true. We sense the urgency. So we want the Mavs to make a couple of super-moves that solve all the issues. We lay out all kinds of proposals we imagine for this summer.

But the reality is it always takes teams several years of consistently good work, a piece at a time.

Unfortunately, that magnifies MY concern, because when I look back, it seems like every summer there's room for promise and expectation, and then pffft we get crap (or nothing at all).

When is the last summer when the Mavs took strong steps in the right direction? How do we get several years of expert work in the summer, when Cuban and his minions can't even do one? Ugh.
[-] The following 6 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, SweetFidelia
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 10:32 PM)F Gump Wrote: So true. We sense the urgency. So we want the Mavs to make a couple of super-moves that solve all the issues. We lay out all kinds of proposals we imagine for this summer.

But the reality is it always takes teams several years of consistently good work, a piece at a time.

Unfortunately, that magnifies MY concern, because when I look back, it seems like every summer there's room for promise and expectation, and then pffft we get crap (or nothing at all).

When is the last summer when the Mavs took strong steps in the right direction? How do we get several years of expert work in the summer, when Cuban and his minions can't even do one? Ugh.

Oh absolutely.  Every TDL and July in recent years have been disappointments.  Too much pfft and crap when singles and doubles would have helped.  If there is room for hope, maybe it is they were so focused on landing stars, they weren’t willing to eat up room or assets for singles and doubles.  Maybe ther was always some big move that they just couldn’t get across the finish line (year after year after year).

The hope would be that now that they have Marion and Kidd to go with Dirk, they can fill in around the edges and get the pieces they need.  That’s the hope.  Might be they just suck and arent’ the least bit imaginative or Donnie and Mark just stopped trying at some point.  I prefer to embrace hope, but even the best dog can only take so many whoopins.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 09:54 PM)Luka77 Wrote: Does anyone else feel bad for Wiz fans?

Mark Bartlestien owes the Wiz a ton.  Making a trade for another teams franchise player while that team gets nothing in return so his son benefits is something.

It might be hard to believe, but ESPN gave the Wiz a B- on the trade, but the Suns a D.
Like Reply
Btw, what happened to Beals statements about being a Wiz lifer ("being their Dirk")? That talk sure did end soon.

Also, Athletic saying Beal choose PHX over offers from Sac, Milwaukee and Miami.

One of those teams was likely to give at least one first rounder. Terrible time for the Wiz fans.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luka77's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 09:58 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I’ve been preaching a while about the same agent relationship with the Phoenix FO as Beal.  But, after adding Beal, is THJ a positional fit?

Hardwood Knocks host does not like the idea of giving up Maxi and Reggie in an Ayton deal (and certainly not Green).  Dallas doesn’t need to give up D.  His suggestion was THJ/Bertans and 10.  Personally, I like doing one of the trade downs first and grabbing an extra pick.  Send Bertans to Utah for 16/28 and Olynyk with THJ, Olynyk and 16 going to Phoenix and Dallas keeps 28.  All of the best Dallas defenders are retained, we get a pick and we get Ayton.

This really depends on how draft night goes for me honestly.

If Hendricks is there at 10, I'm not trading down and just taking Hendricks. I'd give THJ and whatever else for Ayton. I don't really think the Suns are interested in picks anyhow.

Regardless, I wish I could like your post twice.  Even if we've already discussed it, I love the idea of just getting a good center and finding a way to retain talent.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply