Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
(06-02-2023, 11:33 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think there is a stronger 3-way here where Brooklyn takes McGee/Reggie/10 for O’Neale/21 and Phoenix gets THJ/Claxton.  

I would much rather leave PHX and Ayton out of this, and do

McGee/RB/10
for
Claxton/ONeale/21
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • AgGiE1991, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
(06-02-2023, 11:55 AM)F Gump Wrote: I would much rather leave PHX and Ayton out of this, and do

McGee/RB/10
for
Claxton/ONeale/21

Agreed
Like Reply
(06-02-2023, 11:55 AM)F Gump Wrote: I would much rather leave PHX and Ayton out of this, and do

McGee/RB/10
for
Claxton/ONeale/21

I miss the like button.  Completely agree with this, although I don't think we are getting 21 back in that deal.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • BigDirk41, MFFL, StepBackJay
Like Reply
(06-02-2023, 11:08 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: What if the Mavs are really hot after Ayton?

https://medium.com/mavsforum/dallas-mave...3db2731db7

This is probably what it would cost to get Ayton, and I don't think he is worth it for what this team needs.
Like Reply
(06-02-2023, 11:33 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: If I were Phoenix and this was acceptable, I’d pitch #10 and Reggie or McGee to Brooklyn for Claxton.  There is a strong CAA relationship with Phoenix that probably doesn’t exist in Dallas.  

I think there is a stronger 3-way here where Brooklyn takes McGee/Reggie/10 for O’Neale/21 and Phoenix gets THJ/Claxton.  I know you were trying to not give up THJ and instead give up Bertans.  Does getting O’Neale’s D make up for that?

Ya that's interesting, I think dumping Bertans would be a big motivator for Mavs to move off of 10.

If Claxton could be had for 10 I would be pretty interested in that if I am the Mavs. I like O'Neale more than most people around here.
Like Reply
(06-02-2023, 02:06 PM)mvossman Wrote: This is probably what it would cost to get Ayton, and I don't think he is worth it for what this team needs.

Ya I think as much grief as he gets in the media I don't think his value is as low as some people think it is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StepBackJay's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(06-02-2023, 12:33 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Agreed

Ya I would love an O'Neale / Claxton trade.
Like Reply
Two more ideas to chew on:
Like Reply
(06-02-2023, 02:01 PM)mvossman Wrote: I miss the like button.  Completely agree with this, although I don't think we are getting 21 back in that deal.

Got the new version working!
Like Reply
IMO Claxton is worth way more than #10.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(06-02-2023, 11:46 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think for any PHX trade, you have to strongly factor in their new owner.  90's Mark Cuban on steriods.  His whole thing since buying the team is they are competing to win a championship every year and that he will do everything in his power to win a championship.    He has Isaiah Thomas as a sounding board.    I can't see him bowing down to tax concerns....at least this year.  Maybe he is eventually hit over the head with it.  But any move with PHX, you need to factor in do they think this makes them better next season.    Does it put them closer to a championship?  They may have less tradeable assets than Dallas, so they also need to hit on their limited assets.

The problem is that, under the new CBA, overpaying doesn't just hurt your pocketbook.  It also makes you significantly less flexible, and thus less competitive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(06-02-2023, 02:27 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Got the new version working!

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d79gqgwfkuwrt0ploecn...y.gif&ct=g]
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • StepBackJay
Like Reply
(06-02-2023, 03:01 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: The problem is that, under the new CBA, overpaying doesn't just hurt your pocketbook.  It also makes you significantly less flexible, and thus less competitive.

Cuban burner account confirmed
[-] The following 2 users Like StepBackJay's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(06-02-2023, 05:40 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Cuban burner account confirmed

I got a chortle out of that, but actually, that's something Cuban is way too brainless to realize, so that tells me it isn't him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • StepBackJay
Like Reply
Spurs get 21 and Bertans(17 million)

Nets get 10 and Khem Birch(6.9 million)

Mavs get 22 and DFS(13.9 million)

Who says no?

Spurs are the one team that makes sense for Bertans. Good locker room guy that Pop can trust. Spurs essentially trade 10 million in cap for pick 21. They need to hit the floor pre-season anyway

Nets need to shed salary. Both now and future. Cam Johnson extension will be expensive. Dorian doesn’t fit their plans. They can build around Bridges/Johnson/Claxton/Pick 10 as their young core.

Mavs would get the versatile defensive wing we need. Be in good shape cap wise. And still have a late 1st and the exception to add players
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 12:26 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Rumors are Williams wants 20 million per year and I would assume Brooks would require at least the full mid level. I'm struggling to see how we pull that off. The Celtics aren't going to sign and trade Williams with the money they have to pay Brown this summer.

In what world would Williams be worth 20M per?  Grant Williams?  He's an undersized PF that can spread the floor.  Not a rebounder. Not a great defender.  Pound sand on that.
Like Reply
This is a good article to answer all the date related questions in the offseason.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/04/key-...lines.html
Like Reply
(06-02-2023, 12:22 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: In my love of forever complicating ideas:

3 team trade: 
Bullock+Maxi+#10 to ATL. 
THJ+Wood+2027 FRP DAL to CLE. 
Allen+Hunter+Collins+15 to DAL.

Mavs add 4.5 mil to salary but generate 3 starters. 

ATL saves 20 mil in space and move up to 10. CLE gets their starting wing in THJ and a great replacement big in Wood (I assume he's SnT for 3/45). 

Luka/
Kyrie/Hardy
Hunter/Green
Collins/
Allen/McGee/Powell

On paper is a great starting 5. Mavs starting 5 is 151mm (which is expensive). And leaves them with just about 20 mil for the bench and whatever guys.
Assuming they keep Powell, Morris, and Pinson as vet min guys, they have 12 guys including #15 pick. Bench is light but I like this roster.

EDIT: I'd probably go to BRK and offer Bertans+McGee+15 for DFS and finish this roster out.

Luka/Green
Kyrie/Hardy
Hunter/DFS/Pinson
Collins/Morris
Allen/Powell.

Total salaries: ~178 mil.

I had a similar trade on a locked on podcast but only got in DFS/Collins/Capella (no 15 pick)(but still had Bullock/Maxi - sending out Bertans).  Honestly, I like this a lot.  I like Hunter as a big, rangy wing.  I think you are counting a lot of improved shooting from the Luka/Kyrie effect to make this work without Bullock/THJ/Maxi/Bertans/Wood, (man, that is a LOT of lost shooting!), but I love the upgrade in talent/versatility.  This lineup could go big/small with the best of them, so you hedge against Allen getting played off the floor.  Also, you are getting 3 players age 25 and in one offseason, have transformed your core into a group heading into their prime (and Kyrie/DFS who are 31/30).  I would take this swing in a minute.  But it is not my money.  Do you think Cuban spends this kind of cash??? Reminds me of a trade a younger, hungrier Cuban makes in the early 2000's. The "no balls, no babies" Cuban.   

After staring at this lineup for a few minutes, I could totally see Kidd benching Collins and starting DFS here...  and I wouldn't actually complain.  DFS at the 4 isn't nearly the liability with Allen as it was with Powell. Maybe a big/small platoon based on matchups?  I also question if he would play Collins at the 4 with Allen, why wouldn't he have played Wood at the 4 with Powell????  Oh, the rabbit hole that opens up!
Like Reply
(06-02-2023, 11:33 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: If I were Phoenix and this was acceptable, I’d pitch #10 and Reggie or McGee to Brooklyn for Claxton.  There is a strong CAA relationship with Phoenix that probably doesn’t exist in Dallas.  

I think there is a stronger 3-way here where Brooklyn takes McGee/Reggie/10 for O’Neale/21 and Phoenix gets THJ/Claxton.  I know you were trying to not give up THJ and instead give up Bertans.  Does getting O’Neale’s D make up for that?

I often see trade scenarios for Claxton, but I have yet to see a compelling reason why BKN trades him.  They don't have any C's on the roster.  They hardly have a 4 on the roster.  Why do they trade Claxton?  They can't tank/rebuild - they don't own their picks. 

BTW, if I am PHX and could trade Ayton into THJ/Claxton, I would be all over that.  For the Mavs side, I am not excited about McGee/Reggie/THJ/10 for Ayton/Oneale/21 unless I have something else with Bertans/21 that brings in a solid/starting player.  I actually think that is enough for DFS, who's stock has tanked.  so if it is that same trade with adding Bertans, and getting back DFS, I think I could be on board with that.  I just don't think that BKN trades Claxton, who they have no ability to replace.
Like Reply
So many Hunter ideas with no idea what their FO thinks about him. There was the Athletic guy that covers them, but we have never heard a peep out of their FO that Hunter is on the block. I also don’t think a trade down of 10-15 really covers what they would want out of a trade for Hunter, let alone Collins.

I mean, it feels like Atl has been doing the Tor bit of floating the name, but wanting too much return (regarding Collins). What makes them go from asking too much, to giving him away (as I think the trades proposed suggest)?
Like Reply