Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: OKC The Favorite For Nic Claxton Should He Leave BRK
(02-16-2023, 10:31 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Kind of matches the mold of big we've been after for a long time now. Day to Day Davis would look great in 10 games for the Mavs!

Yes, on paper AD would be ideal here, and it's easy to theorize a swap for Kyrie. But having a 40+M player who is always injured is not tenable to build around, and it's hard to imagine a way for that body breaking down to get better rather than worse.
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 11:30 AM)F Gump Wrote: Yes, on paper AD would be ideal here, and it's easy to theorize a swap for Kyrie. But having a 40+M player who is always injured is not tenable to build around, and it's hard to imagine a way for that body breaking down to get better rather than worse.

First I agree with you. AD's health is incredibly bad. It makes KP look like an ironman. I don't want AD. But it's hard to not daydream about the fit on the court, as it's a seamless one on paper when everyone is healthy. I'd kick the tires depending on the cost. Speaking of costs...

No shot Cuban tries for AD by giving up Kyrie. I think Cuban would see the potential billing of Luka-Kyrie-AD, the star power they bring, and would try to do everything he can to make it happen. Especially because the Lakers won't have the ability to realistically sign Kyrie even if they got rid of everyone. 

Further the Lakers would basically be in a similar, but worse, position they are in now currently with just Lebron+AD with the swap so it doesn't make sense from their perspective as well. 

If the costs are 2 firsts and some role players I'd think long and hard and see who else is reasonably available. Anything more I move on.

I think should AD force his way out, the Lakers implode and sell off as it'd be impossible to effectively build around 39 year old Lebron (who's already making overtures to any other contender that'd take him).
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 11:55 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: First I agree with you. AD's health is incredibly bad. It makes KP look like an ironman. I don't want AD. But it's hard to not daydream about the fit on the court, as it's a seamless one on paper when everyone is healthy. I'd kick the tires depending on the cost. Speaking of costs...

No shot Cuban tries for AD by giving up Kyrie. I think Cuban would see the potential billing of Luka-Kyrie-AD, the star power they bring, and would try to do everything he can to make it happen. Especially because the Lakers won't have the ability to realistically sign Kyrie even if they got rid of everyone. 

Further the Lakers would basically be in a similar, but worse, position they are in now currently with just Lebron+AD with the swap so it doesn't make sense from their perspective as well. 

If the costs are 2 firsts and some role players I'd think long and hard and see who else is reasonably available. Anything more I move on.

I think should AD force his way out, the Lakers implode and sell off as it'd be impossible to effectively build around 39 year old Lebron (who's already making overtures to any other contender that'd take him).
 Then the player you want for your 2 picks isn't AD. It's Lebron, right?

If he wants out, and is going to presumably decide his destination, wouldn't he want to play here with Luka-Kyrie (and also Green-Hardy)?

He only has one year left, and he's as obnoxious as they come, so there's a limit to what you'd want to offer for a player with such a short shelf life, but he's still very good and he's professional and stays in shape ....

That having been said, I'm not convinced LBJ is "already making [SINCERE] overtures to any other contender that'd take him" because I think he really wants to stay a Laker until he retires. But.
Like Reply
Lebron is already quoted as saying he would go to whatever team drafts his son so he can finish his career being the first player to play with his son. So him wanting to finish his career as a Laker isn’t written in stone.
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 12:59 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Lebron is already quoted as saying he would go to whatever team drafts his son so he can finish his career being the first player to play with his son. So him wanting to finish his career as a Laker isn’t written in stone.

Yeah, that's true. Maybe he is angling for LAL to draft Bronny?

Reports have said LBJ wants to play his last season with Bronny, and that he talks of playing until he's 45 (which is a soft number, when he is asked). So it may be quite a while before he goes "Bronny chasing."

In general on the Bronny thing, I mostly think LBJ is just putting out carrots to the NBA teams to get Bronny drafted and paid, so he may want to let it play out for as long as possible. It may all just be a tease of him being on the way to team X year after year (team X having grabbed Bronny in the draft with the thought that they get LBJ too, and perhaps for cheap), but then showing up at a time near the end of Bronny's 1st contract or even after that.
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 12:59 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Lebron is already quoted as saying he would go to whatever team drafts his son so he can finish his career being the first player to play with his son. So him wanting to finish his career as a Laker isn’t written in stone.

Let's draft Bronny and play LeBron at the 5
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 01:26 PM)F Gump Wrote: Yeah, that's true. Maybe he is angling for LAL to draft Bronny?

Reports have said LBJ wants to play his last season with Bronny, and that he talks of playing until he's 45 (which is a soft number, when he is asked). So it may be quite a while before he goes "Bronny chasing."

In general on the Bronny thing, I mostly think LBJ is just putting out carrots to the NBA teams to get Bronny drafted and paid, so he may want to let it play out for as long as possible. It may all just be a tease of him being on the way to team X year after year (team X having grabbed Bronny in the draft with the thought that they get LBJ too, and perhaps for cheap), but then showing up at a time near the end of Bronny's 1st contract or even after that.
For sure, and I’ve even posted as much. As with all these quotes, it’s not nothing though. I myself would hate the Lebron hype train hitting my team, but I do wonder if it helps Luka with some maturity matters. The flip side is, does Lebron and Kyrie rub off on him too much?
Like Reply
What would be kinda poetic justice is for a team to stretch and pick Brony, then Lebron not being able to get to that team (or quite frankly not wanting to) then the team waives him out of spite (and that Brony doesn’t deserve to play in the NBA).
Like Reply
So how do the Mavericks acquire AD?  Sign and Trade Kyrie?

i can't believe I'm saying it but I want no part of AD.  Even when he isn't hurt, he often doesn't look like AD anymore.  And if he is having problems co-existing with LeBron, I can't imagine his fate with Luka would be any better.  It would be the KP situation all over again, granted AD is more talented but probably more injury prone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 03:38 PM)cow Wrote: So how do the Mavericks acquire AD? 

The most, and I mean the absolute most I'd give is Bertans+THJ+SnT Wood+25',27' FRPs

They ask for Kyrie and I hang up and offer that same package minus a pick for a guy like Ayton, Turner, etc. 

AD is a great player that's breaking down. I don't really want him, but it's hard to argue that there would be any better option in the coming months. When healthy he can be a top 6-7 NBA player. I mean heck earlier this season he was averaging 30 and 13 with 2.5 blocks a game on 61% shooting. He was in the MVP convo. 

Mavs can get that AD to pair with Luka and Kyrie? I don't see what team beats that currently in the NBA.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 05:36 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The most, and I mean the absolute most I'd give is Bertans+THJ+SnT Wood+25',27' FRPs

They ask for Kyrie and I hang up and offer that same package minus a pick for a guy like Ayton, Turner, etc. 

AD is a great player that's breaking down. I don't really want him, but it's hard to argue that there would be any better option in the coming months. When healthy he can be a top 6-7 NBA player. I mean heck earlier this season he was averaging 30 and 13 with 2.5 blocks a game on 61% shooting. He was in the MVP convo. 

Mavs can get that AD to pair with Luka and Kyrie? I don't see what team beats that currently in the NBA.

Porzingis can put up big numbers, too.

Would you give Bertans+THJ+SnT Wood+25',27' FRPs for him?
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 07:57 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Porzingis can put up big numbers, too.

With Irving still on this team?  I would probably consider that.  Bertans/THJ contract run another year after KP who would be an expiring.  KP has been pretty healthy this year as well.  KP would come back here knowing damn well he is the 3rd option.

Make no mistake about it, if the Lakers would trade AD to the Mavs without requiring Irving, (or Luka), it would absolutely get done and we would all rejoice.  Of course there are going to be health (physical and mental) red flags, but there is zero chance of the Mavs not taking that chance.  A Luka/Kyrie/Josh/Bullock or Maxi/AD lineup would absolutely slay. Just ridiculous.  My question is why would they do that?  Why wouldn't Utah/OKC/NO/SA/Hou get in on that with tons more to offer in picks and talent?  I think those 5 teams have like half the picks for the next few seasons it seems like!   Tongue
Like Reply
If KP ends up on the Mavs again I will find a way to delete this board...
[-] The following 5 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 09:11 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If KP ends up on the Mavs again I will find a way to delete this board...

Haha!!!
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 09:11 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If KP ends up on the Mavs again I will find a way to delete this board...
Just take the board’s red Swingline stapler!
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 07:57 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Porzingis can put up big numbers, too.

No I wouldn't and that's because AD has always been in a different class of player than KP. AD is what everyone thought KP could potentially turn into. Don't get me wrong, I was and still am a big KP fan, but I'm not going to try and justify how KP is close to AD despite the fact KP can score 20 points a night.

AD- 8x all star, 4x All NBA first team, 4x All NBA defense team (2x first, 2x second), 2x block champ. 24/10/2 on 52/30/80 career averages.

KP- 1x all star. 19/8/2 on 45/36/83 career averages. 

Both miss an obscene amount of time.
Like Reply
I'd rather trade THJ to Indiana instead of using Bertans and having to burn another pick. We know Rick likes his THJ.
Like Reply
Let me try again, since the message didn´t get through to Mr. Cuban last summer:

SF/UFA JOSH OKOGIE.

He´s finally getting minutes on the Suns after the trade. Last four games he averaged 21/5 with over two steals and assists, shooting 50/60/90. 24 years old, MINIMUM Contract. It´s really not that hard, when I can identify these players as a hobby. The Mavs employ professional scouts, right?

No way do I claim they all work out, but if you can identify five worthy candidates every off-season, manage to sign three (you also have two-way slots for young players), then one of them will most likely work out, and then you have a young DFS.

So many lottery teams have an abundance of talent they cannot even play, because they have to develop the top talent/picks.

Here is another name:

SG, 6/6, 25 year old, Kevon Harris aka Two-Way Marcus Smart

Rookie, plays for the Orlando Magic. Dude is a pitbull. On/Off is +5.3. Shooting 42/39/82.
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 09:06 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: My question is why would they do that?  Why wouldn't Utah/OKC/NO/SA/Hou get in on that with tons more to offer in picks and talent?

Because it is a player driven league and AD can be expiring next season as he has a player option afterwards. So, if he says he wants to be in Dallas, other teams might be reluctant to jump in for a one year rental. I am more sceptical LA would have any interest whatsoever in the package Mavs can offer. They are in win now mode as long as they have LeBron and that package doesn't help with that at all. I think another team would need to be involved with a piece that would be interestening for Lakers and the picks going to that team. 

I think main task during the all star week for Luka and especially Kai is to convince another player he wants to be in Dallas and in Dallas only next season.
Like Reply
[color=var(--text-link)]https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1627279643333242882?s=20[/color]
Like Reply