Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: ATL Open to Trading Trae Much More Now After Lottery
(02-15-2023, 01:05 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think the hard question for me to answer is why not just do a Bertans/picks deal now instead of the summer.

League would not look positively at the new salary Indy gave Turner if they would just trade him on accusations of potential cap shenanigans. They would likely interfere. Indy can trade him in the summer and league would have a hard time saying something was wrong with the cotnract. This was analysed by several writers, for example Hollinger (too lazy to find the article).
Like Reply
Just one game but I wonder if we ever discussed a future pick for him?  I was against using a pick for him but are we a contender with him?  Will there be better options this summer?

https://twitter.com/nba/status/1625713242659078145?s=61&t=L89_3gzbBMLUkCh3PNG3oQ
Like Reply
Someone mentioned KJ Martin at the trade deadline.  Omahen?   He has a cheap team option next year and then will be free.  With another high pick coming to Houston this year, plus other young big guys I wonder if they would move him for an unprotected first round pick.  The issue is I think Houston needs to win because they owe a pick to someone coming up.  

Would he be a fit here?   Tough to tell in Houston, but he is only 22 and is an athletic wing we are looking for.   

First for him and then another first for another wing and then sign a younger, cheap center.    Would that work?

First- for KJ Martin
First for Bogdan
Nick Richards as a cheap center

Is that enough to be a contender?
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 01:36 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Someone mentioned KJ Martin at the trade deadline.  Omahen? 

I mentioned him, yes. But I don't think he is worth an unprotected FRP. We could trade protected one, though.
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 01:09 PM)omahen Wrote: League would not look positively at the new salary Indy gave Turner if they would just trade him on accusations of potential cap shenanigans. They would likely interfere. Indy can trade him in the summer and league would have a hard time saying something was wrong with the cotnract. This was analysed by several writers, for example Hollinger (too lazy to find the article).

Yeah, I brought this up before.  The cap geek community was a bit divided on whether the league would let Indy turn right around and trade Turner.  Technically legal, but some argued outside of the spirit of the extend and trade.  I thought Carlisle protesteth too much in terms of the team not intending to trade Turner before the TDL.  As you say, by the time the summer rolls around it is probably water under the bridge.  Six months will not have passed yet, but doubtful anyone pitches a fit with this much time having elapsed.

(02-15-2023, 01:11 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Just one game but I wonder if we ever discussed a future pick for him?  I was against using a pick for him but are we a contender with him?  Will there be better options this summer?

https://twitter.com/nba/status/1625713242659078145?s=61&t=L89_3gzbBMLUkCh3PNG3oQ

I would have easily paid a first for him.  Thought he was well worth it.  We are seeing now the need for a starting big who plays good D against other starting units.  This ‘dinosaur’ (as some called him) would make a huge difference right about now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 01:03 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Not all first round picks are the same, but I think we (I) and the national media undervalue our talent.  We have seen it with Jalen and KP (when healthy) are good players.  

BTW, teams must love when Dallas calls.  They just sense the desperation and realize Dallas doesn't care about second rounders.   If this report is true then DFS is two firsts, plus our unprotected 29 pick and two future seconds.   Not a bad haul.   Now the Nets will not be a contenders for a long time but still that is not a bad haul for a guy who may have walked in a few months.   

I swear  I am going to have the biggest party ever when we have a trade when we get a second round pick back.  It is going to be epic. 

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...7723787264

I'm struggling to believe this.  My understanding was the biggest reason Dorian was in the trade was due to Durant.  Once you trade Durant for 3 guys that play Dorian's position (and two of them better and/or younger) it would be a no brainer to send him out for two picks.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MFFL
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 02:00 PM)mvossman Wrote: I'm struggling to believe this.  My understanding was the biggest reason Dorian was in the trade was due to Durant.  Once you trade Durant for 3 guys that play Dorian's position (and two of them better and/or younger) it would be a no brainer to send him out for two picks.

I think it's difficult to truly appreciate the line BRK is trying to walk. Or, maybe a better way of saying it is that they're straight up not trying to walk it. 

I really, really think their goal is to be good. Right now. I think their aim at the deadline, probably even after the Durant trade, was to be buyers.
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 01:36 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Someone mentioned KJ Martin at the trade deadline.  Omahen?   He has a cheap team option next year and then will be free.  With another high pick coming to Houston this year, plus other young big guys I wonder if they would move him for an unprotected first round pick.  The issue is I think Houston needs to win because they owe a pick to someone coming up.  

Would he be a fit here?   Tough to tell in Houston, but he is only 22 and is an athletic wing we are looking for.   

First for him and then another first for another wing and then sign a younger, cheap center.    Would that work?

First- for KJ Martin
First for Bogdan
Nick Richards as a cheap center

Is that enough to be a contender?

I would argue that our top priority is defense and if we are paying a pick for a player, it needs to be a two way player.  Neither of those guys play defense and I don't think either are worth a first anyways.
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 01:11 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Just one game but I wonder if we ever discussed a future pick for him?  I was against using a pick for him but are we a contender with him?  Will there be better options this summer?

Dan was a big proponent of sending out a first for him, but others were concerned with paying that asset and then 20 mil a year contract for a player that might be run off the court in the playoffs (who knows how valid that concern is).  I will mention my additional concern of a starting center that can't hit a free throw.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, F Gump, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 01:03 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Not all first round picks are the same, but I think we (I) and the national media undervalue our talent.  We have seen it with Jalen and KP (when healthy) are good players.  

BTW, teams must love when Dallas calls.  They just sense the desperation and realize Dallas doesn't care about second rounders.   If this report is true then DFS is two firsts, plus our unprotected 29 pick and two future seconds.   Not a bad haul.   Now the Nets will not be a contenders for a long time but still that is not a bad haul for a guy who may have walked in a few months.   

I swear  I am going to have the biggest party ever when we have a trade when we get a second round pick back.  It is going to be epic. 

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...7723787264

The Knicks are definitely one of those teams. Cry 

Trade for Lavine and DFS, sign Luka in 2026 and I have to change my name to Knicks2026. Blush
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 01:48 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Yeah, I brought this up before.  The cap geek community was a bit divided on whether the league would let Indy turn right around and trade Turner.  Technically legal, but some argued outside of the spirit of the extend and trade.  I thought Carlisle protesteth too much in terms of the team not intending to trade Turner before the TDL.  As you say, by the time the summer rolls around it is probably water under the bridge.  Six months will not have passed yet, but doubtful anyone pitches a fit with this much time having elapsed.

I would have easily paid a first for him.  Thought he was well worth it.  We are seeing now the need for a starting big who plays good D against other starting units.  This ‘dinosaur’ (as some called him) would make a huge difference right about now.

Ya gotta pay to play, or risk losing out. Poeltl would have been great here.
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 12:48 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: We haven’t had a recent quote from [Turner] about his feelings on staying in Ind, but the last we heard, he was leaving them.

Goodness, that is so out of date. Since then, he's signed a deal which commits him to play there for two more years. That's not an indication of "leaving," it's exactly the opposite.
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 01:09 PM)omahen Wrote: League would not look positively at the new salary Indy gave Turner if they would just trade him on accusations of potential cap shenanigans. They would likely interfere. Indy can trade him in the summer and league would have a hard time saying something was wrong with the cotnract. This was analysed by several writers, for example Hollinger (too lazy to find the article).

After the renegotiation, Indy could have traded MT had they wanted to. The rules allowed it.

What was confusing is that "renegotiate-and-trade" per se is not allowed. But there's no specified waiting period after a renegotiation until you can trade that player.

So it would have been disallowed if renegotiate and trade were all linked together as one inseparable entity, in the way that sign-and-trade or extend-and-trade are. In those latter transactions, the player is able to designate his destination as a condition of signing or extending, and if he's not traded there, the contractual commitment doesn't exit. But with a renegotiation, he can't play that game -- he has to commit to the team who is doing that deal for him, independently, and whether they then opt to later trade him, or where, is entirely at their discretion.

Once MT had signed the renegotiation, without a trade attached to the contract, he could have been traded.
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 11:36 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Thinking some more about the conversation over the weekend about the summer and the difficulty of S&T’s given our proximity to the Apron…I have a new thought.  In fact, I’ll call it a stone-cold lock:

Myles Turner

This would be a brilliant front office move if it's indeed the path forward. (Rivaled only by your detective work.)

It's clear the next priority is to address the front court. 

Big wing / forward is an obvious need. Dallas is starting THJ, a 6' 5" guard, backed up by Kleber, an injury-prone stretch big. THJ is way overmatched physically and while Kleber is a great defensive weapon, he's very limited offensively. The next-best option here might be Bullock, another guard, or someone off the waiver wire, since Bertans isn't an option to play with Wood.... which brings me to an even bigger need: a reliable starting center. 

There are a lot things that have jumped off the screen since Kyrie arrived but among the biggest is he clearly needs to play with a high-level center, a guy with great hands, who can finish. Powell is smart but he's a 16 minute backup at this stage of his career. If the FO has figured out a way to turn Bertans + picks into Turner it would be a master stroke.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 03:30 PM)F Gump Wrote: Goodness, that is so out of date. Since then, he's signed a deal which commits him to play there for two more years. That's not an indication of "leaving," it's exactly the opposite.
Holy, did you not read the premise of Dan’s post? He states this may have even been a pre-made deal, which satisfies his [Turner’s] want to leave comments.
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 04:03 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: This would be a brilliant front office move if it's indeed the path forward. (Rivaled only by your detective work.)

It's clear the next priority is to address the front court. 

Big wing / forward is an obvious need. Dallas is starting THJ, a 6' 5" guard, backed up by Kleber, an injury-prone stretch big. THJ is way overmatched physically and while Kleber is a great defensive weapon, he's very limited offensively. The next-best option here might be Bullock, another guard, or someone off the waiver wire, since Bertans isn't an option to play with Wood.... which brings me to an even bigger need: a reliable starting center. 

There are a lot things that have jumped off the screen since Kyrie arrived but among the biggest is he clearly needs to play with a high-level center, a guy with great hands, who can finish. Powell is smart but he's a 16 minute backup at this stage of his career. If the FO has figured out a way to turn Bertans + picks into Turner it would be a master stroke.

I agree on the big wing need, but Timmy is not playing that role now.  Currently Luka and Bullock are sharing those duties and Maxi will eventually take most (or all) of Bullocks minutes at the 4.  

I'm not sure Turner is worth two picks, especially because at least the later one will be unprotected.  He gets injured a lot and is not a very good rebounder.  He also falls into that category of centers where there is a question if he can get run off the court in the playoffs.
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 04:23 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Holy, did you not read the premise of Dan’s post? He states this may have even been a pre-made deal, which satisfies his [Turner’s] want to leave comments.

Yes, I understood all that. But those want to leave comments were originally rooted in (a) they were an awful team, (b) he didn't like sharing the frontcourt with Sabonis, and © he wanted to get paid.

All of that began to change as Sabonis left, and the team was much better once they traded for Haliburton, and now he's signed a new deal with Indy, rather than be a free agent (and leave).

Here's one article on his current thinking.

https://www.si.com/nba/pacers/news/myles...re-in-indy

Feb 1 "I was really glad just to get something done so I can go out there and focus on hoops," Turner said on Monday. He's looking forward to having no distractions going forward, as his contract was set to expire at the end of this season. "I'm very excited to be here," he added.

Turner wanted to remain in the city he started his NBA days with. He preferred to stay with a group that he gels with for the next two-plus seasons. "I wanted to be here in Indy," he said.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/FoxSportsRadio/statu...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ffadeawayworld.net%2Flebron-james-and-his-camp-have-been-frustrated-with-anthony-davis-lack-of-availability

https://fadeawayworld.net/lebron-james-a...ailability

Quote:They can’t depend on Anthony Davis. They are also mad that Darvin Ham (Lakers coach) is not keeping the pressure on Anthony Davis … I talked to an NBA source who I’ve known for a long time, he said the Dallas Mavericks and Anthony Davis, keep your eye on it."

Kind of matches the mold of big we've been after for a long time now. Day to Day Davis would look great in 10 games for the Mavs!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
That´s not a rumour that surprises me at all. Has crossed my mind a few times. So it´s not a surprise somebody finally turned it into an article.

The main motivation will not be serving their master LeBron. The Lakers have plenty of incentive to try to trade him. They don´t want to rebuild their franchise around a 30 year old injury mess with motivational problems. 

I´m sure Cuban would happily give up two more 1sts to turn Irving into Davis. Wait let´s make that three and two seconds for more realistic representation of Mavs negotiating skills.

Then a 30 year old Davis, with 150-ish games played in four years, can sign a new five year $260M contract with the Mavs and we can all act shocked, when it blows up in their faces yet again.
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 11:05 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I´m sure Cuban would happily give up two more 1sts to turn Irving into Davis. Wait let´s make that three and two seconds for more realistic representation of Mavs negotiating skills.

It definitely won't be Irving for Davis. But probably 25+27, and a pickswap in 26 or 28. 

Not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand AD is a top 5 big when healthy. On the other, he's never healthy.

Ideally a Luka+AD+Irving trio should be a finals contender instantly, but I have reservations. I think Luka and the team is already going to need time to adjust playing next to another star in Kyrie. Adding a 3rd star might be a bit overload.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply