Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
Rumors are Williams wants 20 million per year and I would assume Brooks would require at least the full mid level. I'm struggling to see how we pull that off. The Celtics aren't going to sign and trade Williams with the money they have to pay Brown this summer.
Like Reply
I cant figure out how to embed tweets anymore

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...5618781184

Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 07:42 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Interesting Jarrett Allen trade from a Cleveland site  (you'd have to change 2025 to 2027 and either unprotect it or protect if for only that draft and have it convert to something else if it doesn't convey):

Laying out a Jarrett Allen trade

The Dallas Mavericks are another team whose season did not end the way they wanted it to, so they are a logical team to be pursuing shake-up trades. In this trade idea, the Cavs trade Allen to the Mavericks and get back two contributors in addition to a first-round pick:

The idea for the Cavaliers is that they trade one start for two. The Cavs could start Reggie Bullock at small forward and Maxi Kleber at power forward, giving Cleveland a four-out look around Evan Mobley at center. It would increase their spacing and, given the defensive chops of both Bullock and Kleber, still give them a stout defensive frontcourt.

For the Mavericks, they trade two non-stars for a star at center, potentially giving them three if Kyrie Irving re-signs this summer. Jarrett Allen would give this team a defensive identity inside, something they need after jettisoning their best defenders recently, and on offense he can both serve as a pick-and-roll partner with Luka Doncic and Irving and clean the glass after their jumpshots.

Dallas probably jumps in and makes this deal, letting Christian Wood walk and re-signing Dwight Powell as a backup. The loss of Kleber would be painful, but they tend to go star-hunting.

https://kingjamesgospel.com/2023/05/12/g...valiers/2/

Trading both Bullock and Maxi (personally for me; big fan) would hurt the depth but I'd still do it.

Any of the young centers we've discussed FOR only one 1st rd pick and no Josh Green/Jalen Hardy is probably a yes for me.

(06-01-2023, 11:44 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/dallas...lockbuster

Would you guys do this trade? I think I would.

Tempting but we have too many holes to put all our eggs in that one basket. I'd need a plan on how we're getting a big with both 1st rd picks gone.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 12:26 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Rumors are Williams wants 20 million per year and I would assume Brooks would require at least the full mid level. I'm struggling to see how we pull that off. The Celtics aren't going to sign and trade Williams with the money they have to pay Brown this summer.
Brooks wants in the 20’s too. Only team I can see possibly paying Williams $20M is SA, but I doubt it. After that, he’s kinda stuck with a bunch of teams that have MLE money. Getting Boston a replacement is the only obstacle. Maxi makes sense in that way. Grant gets somewhere around $14M to beat all the MLE offers. Brooks SnT for THJ has been talked about for a while and started outside this community. Same deal, Brooks starts at $14M to beat all MLE deals. Both players fit the description of the type players the Mavs are targeting. That’s $28.8M outgoing salary and $28M incoming. OG is seeking $30M and with that package we would give up for him, we’d pay it.

I was a huge champion of the bring OG here club, but the price to get him here and the contract to keep him is just way too much.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 12:26 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Rumors are Williams wants 20 million per year and I would assume Brooks would require at least the full mid level. I'm struggling to see how we pull that off. The Celtics aren't going to sign and trade Williams with the money they have to pay Brown this summer.

Williams will be closer to $12mill than $20mill, but yes, probably above MLE money.

THJ might make a lot of sense for Boston.  He's shot 39%3pt 3 out of the last 4 years.  His 3.0 3pm puts him only behind Tatum.

THJ ($17mill) for Williams and Pritchard/Hauser works.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 01:01 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Williams will be closer to $12mill than $20mill, but yes, probably above MLE money.

THJ might make a lot of sense for Boston.  He's shot 39%3pt 3 out of the last 4 years.  His 3.0 3pm puts him only behind Tatum.

Bos has a glutten of guards just like us. Maxi is so versatile that he would work well there and cost less than resigning Williams.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 01:01 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Williams will be closer to $12mill than $20mill, but yes, probably above MLE money.

Williams already turned down 4 for 50. He's not signing for 12. I wish he would, but that's not happening. One more point is that no quality free agent has ever signed with Dallas for a discount or reasonable offer.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 11:44 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/dallas...lockbuster

Would you guys do this trade? I think I would.

I'm out.  We need two starters, and if you send out Green then we still need 2 with no assets left.  I would rather split the picks for two players and not send out Green.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 01:14 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Bos has a glutten of guards just like us. Maxi is so versatile that he would work well there and cost less than resigning Williams.

Just not sure I'd give up Maxi for G.Williams.  Perhaps a 3rd team to send THJ?  Maxi Is a bad rebounder, but his 3pt shooting and switching defense is not something we should swap unless a significant upgrade.
Like Reply
Maybe Williams can be had for 4/60.

This is all fun, but I really hope the Mavs have a damn good plan. A better team is all that matters no matter how they get there.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 01:35 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Maybe Williams can be had for 4/60.

This is all fun, but I really hope the Mavs have a damn good plan. A better team is all that matters no matter how they get there.
4/60 is $14M with 5% raises every year.

I fully agree with the second statement.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 01:34 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Williams already turned down 4 for 50. He's not signing for 12. I wish he would, but that's not happening. One more point is that no quality free agent has ever signed with Dallas for a discount or reasonable offer.

It's nice to want.  Schroeder turned down 4years/$84mill then ended up signing 1year/$5.9mill.

I'm not saying G.Williams will be in such a bad way, but no one is signing him for more than $15mill/year.  You're taking a big risk in a player who averaged under 18mins with a couple of DNP in the playoffs.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 01:46 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: It's nice to want.  Schroeder turned down 4years/$84mill then ended up signing 1year/$5.9mill.

I'm not saying G.Williams will be in such a bad way, but no one is signing him for more than $15mill/year.  You're taking a big risk in a player who averaged under 18mins with a couple of DNP in the playoffs.

Fair enough and I don't disagree on his worth, but some of the teams throw out really bad contracts some times. I wouldn't want him over 15 a year.
Like Reply
Nerlens Noel also was seeking a big contract, then he ate hot dogs.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 02:12 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Nerlens Noel also was seeking a big contract, then he ate hot dogs.

Nerlens was offered a big contract and made a historically bad decision.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 02:36 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Nerlens was offered a big contract and made a historically bad decision.
Seeking more.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 01:35 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Maybe Williams can be had for 4/60.

I love all the false hope these exercises are generating for us. The only real hope for the offseason is that 1) Lindsay has a major voice in strategy and player evaluation, and 2) that Finley hits on another draft pick again (not necessarily at 10). Outside of that, all of the suggestions and scenarios being devised here are pipe dreams. Remember Brunson, and remember the opening of free agency where we had a ton of cap space and good FAs available, the Mavs didn't tamper like the other 29 teams did, Cuban went to dinner, and we got virtually nothing.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 01:46 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: It's nice to want.  Schroeder turned down 4years/$84mill then ended up signing 1year/$5.9mill.

+41
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 02:42 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Seeking more.

Definitely. Not a smart choice on his part.
Like Reply
Cato trade ideas today:

1) Boucher and Porter Jr for pick #10 and Davis Bertans---My take- yuck!

2) OG and Thad Young for Hardaway, Green and #10- Raptor guy says that isn't enough in article.

3) Capella and 15 for Hardaway and 10- Atlanta guys says he would sign off on this deal

4) Hunter and 15 for Josh Green, Bertans and 15- Atlanta guy not very high on Hunter

5) Royce O'neal, Mills and pick 21 for Bertans and pick 10

6) Richaun Holmes for Davis Bertans

7) Nance, Willy Hernangomez, Garrett Temple for Reggie Bullock and JaVale McGee
Like Reply