Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Booker Likes NYK? Vogel Out? Suns Imploding?
@957thegame
"I don't think it makes sense to have a massive payroll right now with our team...At some point, you can't spend this much money for a team that didn't make the playoffs. We have a lot of decisions to make and a lot of questions to answer.

The only questions that are out there really have to do with what's next. Not just this coming year, but in the years beyond. What does that mean for our team? What kind of transition will there be? Are there moves that we can make to get us into the championship contention conversation?

And if there are not, then what does that mean? Do we lean into our younger guys? These are all the discussions we'll be having this Summer."

- Steve Kerr on @WillardAndDibs today.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-18-2024, 11:49 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: @957thegame
"I don't think it makes sense to have a massive payroll right now with our team...At some point, you can't spend this much money for a team that didn't make the playoffs. We have a lot of decisions to make and a lot of questions to answer.

The only questions that are out there really have to do with what's next. Not just this coming year, but in the years beyond. What does that mean for our team? What kind of transition will there be? Are there moves that we can make to get us into the championship contention conversation?

And if there are not, then what does that mean? Do we lean into our younger guys? These are all the discussions we'll be having this Summer."

- Steve Kerr on @WillardAndDibs today.

Seems like it would have been a better move to blow things up after their championship run rather than overpay their aging veterans. 

Kinda like what Cuban did after the 2011 run.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(04-18-2024, 11:52 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Seems like it would have been a better move to blow things up after their championship run rather than overpay their aging veterans. 

Okay, you're not who I thought you were.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • DallasMaverick, fifteenth, MFFL
Like Reply
I picture DallasMaverick with a slight, almost undetectable smile on his face even when people don't pick up on his wonderfully funny, but sometimes subtle, sarcasm.

Cave pals forever!
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(04-18-2024, 11:52 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Seems like it would have been a better move to blow things up after their championship run rather than overpay their aging veterans. 

You're getting too good at this
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(04-18-2024, 01:15 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: You're getting too good at this

Here's hoping he continues to hone his craft. Let's say he's at Zubak level now. Just a small step up and he could reach Jokic level!
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, The Jom
Like Reply
(04-18-2024, 12:32 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I picture DallasMaverick with a slight, almost undetectable smile on his face even when people don't pick up on his wonderfully funny, but sometimes subtle, sarcasm.

Cave pals forever!

Dang! Nailed it.

My wife and kids catch my attempts at humor far sooner than strangers or acquaintances. And it’s just the corners of my mouth (or the ridiculousness of the statement) that gives me away. Sigh.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(04-18-2024, 03:14 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Dang! Nailed it.

My wife and kids catch my attempts at humor far sooner than strangers or acquaintances. And it’s just the corners of my mouth (or the ridiculousness of the statement) that gives me away. Sigh.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 

Cool
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
This would be my THJ dump deal if there is no big splash to be made. The Mavs get Tucker to use as an expiring in trades. Taking back a little money also avoids having to spend two 2nds to offload THJ's full contract. Couple it with a Green for Caruso swap and they have the full MLE to spend, hopefully to split between Jones and some other useful forward.

DAL: THJ, Powell, Tor 25 2nd for Tucker
LAC: Tucker, Atl 27 2nd for Powell
DET: Absorbs THJ into cap space + 2 2nds
Like Reply
IMO the best THJ trade would be to go for McCollum. Would fit like a glove in a 6th man role.

THJ + Green + small asset for McCollum + filler.

Doncic/Exum
Irving/McCollum
Jones Jr./O-Max
Washington/Kleber
Lively/Gafford
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
[-] The following 1 user Likes HAguiar95's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(04-18-2024, 07:20 PM)HAguiar95 Wrote: IMO the best THJ trade would be to go for McCollum. Would fit like a glove in a 6th man role.

THJ + Green + small asset for McCollum + filler.

Doncic/Exum
Irving/McCollum
Jones Jr./O-Max
Washington/Kleber
Lively/Gafford

I doubt he wants to come off the bench at this point in his career. Even if he would accept it, it's too big of an investment in another poor defender.
[-] The following 2 users Like loki's post:
  • omahen, RGP1981
Like Reply
I wonder what Hayward will command this offseason. He’s shooting over 50% from deep in a reduced role for the Thunder. Dude is skilled. Serious luxury for a bench piece.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(04-18-2024, 12:32 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I picture DallasMaverick with a slight, almost undetectable smile on his face even when people don't pick up on his wonderfully funny, but sometimes subtle, sarcasm.

Cave pals forever!

Who was he in the cave?
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
I want nothing to do with Klay, not even for THJ. He´s 34 years old on bum knees.

His last nine play-off games 15/4/2 with 2 TOs on shooting 31/32/83 (on less than 1 FTA per game in the last seven) and -19 total. 

I´m pretty confident THJ or Hardy can do that, too. 

It´s not 20M per year. I think another result of the new CBA will be that old players 33/34+ will get much lower offers, especially if they have an injury history and lots of mileage.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, RGP1981
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 03:26 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I want nothing to do with Klay, not even for THJ. He´s 34 years old on bum knees.

His last nine play-off games 15/4/2 with 2 TOs on shooting 31/32/83 (on less than 1 FTA per game in the last seven) and -19 total. 

I´m pretty confident THJ or Hardy can do that, too. 

It´s not 20M per year. I think another result of the new CBA will be that old players 33/34+ will get much lower offers, especially if they have an injury history and lots of mileage.

I dont think Klay leaves.   I think GS carves out cap space for him unless they are telling him he will get no minutes.

I dont know what is available on the market and for how much...but I might consider Klay at 20M per on a 1+1 assuming nothing else is available and we are not expecting a return on THJ.

I think THJ brings more scoring ability to the table at all 3 levels due to athleticism and quickness compared to a now hobbled Klay...but I think Klay's experience and IQ bring way more to the table than Hardy or THJ.   We replace a tunnel vision shooter with a higher IQ shooter that is willing to get other involved with his willingness to pass...and I think it raises the bar for the team.

I dont think pure shooters with no defense are worth 20M anymore(Heild, THJ, Robinson) and I dont think a hobbled Klay is either, imo.

But...Klay and Bojan up the IQ/efficiency of the teams offense I think. Not saying I would scoop them up if they were FA's since I dont like their costs...it would depend on team need and cap and other things.
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 01:18 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Who was he in the cave?

I can't remember all the user names over there anymore. He joined us over at our exile spot when BDL and J0n got banned by Fish for joking about killing each other. Maybe DM will share his old username with us.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(04-18-2024, 05:39 PM)loki Wrote: This would be my THJ dump deal if there is no big splash to be made. The Mavs get Tucker to use as an expiring in trades. Taking back a little money also avoids having to spend two 2nds to offload THJ's full contract. Couple it with a Green for Caruso swap and they have the full MLE to spend, hopefully to split between Jones and some other useful forward.

DAL: THJ, Powell, Tor 25 2nd for Tucker
LAC: Tucker, Atl 27 2nd for Powell
DET: Absorbs THJ into cap space + 2 2nds

A Green for Caruso swap is going to cost you a first.  I would just simplify to Timmy + first for Caruso.  Use the extra money to hold onto DJJ and you still have Green.
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 09:51 AM)mvossman Wrote: A Green for Caruso swap is going to cost you a first.  I would just simplify to Timmy + first for Caruso.  Use the extra money to hold onto DJJ and you still have Green.

The thing with Caruso is that Chicago said they want at the minimum 2 firsts for Caruso at the TDL. Of course yesterday's price isn't today's price, but that franchise has been SO stubborn about rebuilding.

I don't think Caruso is easy to get at all. I'd much rather go after Thybulle.
Like Reply
Thybulle is younger, current contract is(11M per) 2M more per than Caruso, is locked up for 1 year longer than Caruso.

Caruso is 30, contract is 9.5M per.

Caruso seems to be the more impactful player with facilitating, defense and hustle...but I have read speculation here that his next contract might shoot up.

Do you go with Caruso or Thybulle?
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 10:16 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Thybulle is younger, current contract is(11M per) 2M more per than Caruso, is locked up for 1 year longer than Caruso.

Caruso is 30, contract is 9.5M per.

Caruso seems to be the more impactful player with facilitating, defense and hustle...but I have read speculation here that his next contract might shoot up.

Do you go with Caruso or Thybulle?

Caruso is the more impactful defender. But it's close. Thybulle is right there. Impact metrics this year are skewed as he was on this horrible Portland team. I'd place both in the top 5 of best defenders under 6'7. Caruso's real value is that he is just a way more polished offensive player than Thybulle. 

Thybulle may get you 6 points a night if his 3 ball is falling. If not, he isn't going to shoot like Josh Green, nor is he going to create anything off the dribble. He is a fantastic cutter, but teams sag off of him for a reason. He shot nearly 40% on 3s in the first 40 games of the season but then January-March he was down to 22%.

Caruso is the better player but I think 1 of them is going to cost an arm and a leg. Thybulle won't cost multiple firsts. He may not even cost one and he'll give 95% of the same defensive impact as Caruso. 

So factoring in cost of acquisition and similarities of play, Thybulle is a no brainer to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • youzigizag
Like Reply