Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Booker Likes NYK? Vogel Out? Suns Imploding?
(04-13-2024, 03:38 PM)fifteenth Wrote: This is why GMs make the big bucks. 

I want to keep Gaf, DLive, Maxi, PJW, DJJ, Exum and add a shooter (if Timmy gets traded). Y'all (trade thread peeps) know better than me, but I'm thinking that getting that third star means losing some of the folks I just listed, which I think most likely hurts us more than it helps us. Can we get a third start that improves on Exum but doesn't cost us Gaf, DLive, Maxi, PJW or DJJ? 

My guess is that letting the growth of PJW/Exum might be the best bet at a "3rd star" by committee for next season. 

I think my preference would be to roll another year with six I mentioned, but this management team seems to be much more bold than I am (see DFS trade).

Depth is nice if you dont have a Generational Talent like Luka that can will his team into post season.   Im not saying Luka can do it all himself...but...I think he can get a sub-satisfactory team into playoffs.

That being said...most playoff rotations are tight.  And...injuries arent that common.   What I am getting at is...in the NBA...do you really need a bunch depth since its mainly 7 or 8 guys getting playing time.

1) Luka
2) Kyrie
3) 3rd Star
4) Lively/Gaff
5) PJW

Even if you flip 2 of PJW/Lively/Gaf for a 3rd star...that star should be a really good player.  So now you have:

1) Luka
2) Kyrie
3) 3rd Star
4) Lively or Gaff

You still have Exum, Green, OMax, Hardy, DJJ, THJ, Maxi to fill holes.

I dont think Mavs want to trade PJW, but I assume PJW, Green and one of Lively/Gaff will be required in trades for a true needle mover.  You still have pieces to fill playoff minutes.

Maybe my thinking is wrong on this.   I like this squad...but would love to get Bridges if it was possible.  I just dont know how much depth would be pilfered for him though.

There are a few configurations to get a 3rd star here I would be ok with. Id be reluctant to break up Lively/Gaff duo. Lively gonna be good and is young.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(04-13-2024, 03:38 PM)fifteenth Wrote: This is why GMs make the big bucks. 

I want to keep Gaf, DLive, Maxi, PJW, DJJ, Exum and add a shooter (if Timmy gets traded). Y'all (trade thread peeps) know better than me, but I'm thinking that getting that third star means losing some of the folks I just listed, which I think most likely hurts us more than it helps us. Can we get a third start that improves on Exum but doesn't cost us Gaf, DLive, Maxi, PJW or DJJ? 

My guess is that letting the growth of PJW/Exum might be the best bet at a "3rd star" by committee for next season. 

I think my preference would be to roll another year with six I mentioned, but this management team seems to be much more bold than I am (see DFS trade).

May sound stupid, but I think this year‘s version of LeBron would fit in perfectly with this year‘s edition of the Mavs.
Like Reply
(04-13-2024, 06:49 AM)Knutsen Wrote: To add to your point: by having Kyrie as our second best and most important player our window can close any time for that season because of his injury history. So putting all our chips on the table for one year is a very risky bet und could backfire like it did for the Clippers the last few years. That‘s also true for this season by the way, let’s hope he stays healthy for the next weeks. Would I bet my own money on it? Never.
Important point you make. While we are in the Luka-Kyrie Era it doesn’t make sense to go all in on any single year because of the injury factor. 

Looking long term we are opening potentially the longest championship window in recent memory if Luka continues his trajectory. 8 years? 10 years? The level of patience we have will be determined by how early in the window we win a championship. If it’s early like Jokic we can be patient and smart. If it’s later like Dirk we could see some desperation

The Luka-Kyrie window looks to be 3 years right now. This year and the next 2. The entire core of this team (minus DJJ and Exum at the moment)  is locked up for this time period. At the end of it Kyrie will be 34. PJ and Gafford will be free agents. Lively and Omax will be heading into their last season of their rookie deals. Luka will have one final year of a lower max before his number goes way up. 

I think Lively and PJ will be priorities. My prediction is Gafford will be the guy that doesn’t get paid. Gafford just fired his agent and is with Klutch so he’s likely to be overpaid on his next deal and will be too much of a luxury by summer of 26

Best option for the next Luka team after this would be to add a superstar in FA in the summer of 26 when we have max cap room. We could add sammy superstar, re-sign PJ with bird rights at a bigger number, re-sign Kyrie at a lower number, let Gafford walk and give Lively and Omax rookie scale extensions. This would put us way over the cap, but would not cost us any assets
[-] The following 3 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Scott41theMavs, The Jom
Like Reply
I think this team is two players away from long term contention.

1. A bench (6th moy) assassin type player.
2. A defensive wing that can consistently hit clutch three pointers when left open.

Maybe these players are on the roster already and need to be developed (see Hardy/Omax/Green).

But if the Mavs/Luka don't have patience for the developmental route I would look into trading for these players (Bridges, Murphy III, Avdija, White, ect) to upgrade more rapidly.
Like Reply
(04-14-2024, 10:52 AM)Luka77 Wrote: I think this team is two players away from long term contention.

1. A bench (6th moy) assassin type player.
2. A defensive wing that can consistently hit clutch three pointers when left open.

Maybe these players are on the roster already and need to be developed (see Hardy/Omax/Green). 

But if the Mavs/Luka don't have patience for the developmental route I would look into trading for these players (Bridges, Murphy III, Avdija, White, ect) to upgrade more rapidly.

Please adjust #1 to include average defense, decent dribbler and not streaky.   The way you worded it just leaves open debate to keep THJ.  Mavs need a more consistent all around player as the "shooter".
Like Reply
(04-14-2024, 01:04 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Please adjust #1 to include average defense, decent dribbler and not streaky.   The way you worded it just leaves open debate to keep THJ.  Mavs need a more consistent all around player as the "shooter".

Oh, you mean a third star we can't afford to trade for. Got it.
Like Reply
(04-14-2024, 01:04 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Please adjust #1 to include average defense, decent dribbler and not streaky.   The way you worded it just leaves open debate to keep THJ.  Mavs need a more consistent all around player as the "shooter".

THJ is no 6th man of year type nor is he a bench assassin. He is far too inconsistent even off the bench and cant create his own shot.  Think someone like a Jason Terry or Jamal Crawford type.

Someone that carry the offense when Luka and Kyrie are out of the game and can play along side both.
Like Reply
The name you’re looking for is Bogdan Bogdanovic. Need Hawks to blow it up (which they should).
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
The microwave bench scorer thing is fake. Jamal Crawford had nice handles but he was an inefficient chucker. If you want sub-par one man offense to make up for a bad bench overall you can get one but it won't be a championship level team. Mavs use the 3 playmaker formula, always have at least 2 playmakers on the floor at any given moment and surround them with supporting players. 3&D plus slashing is usually sufficient. THJ has no place on this team anymore I'm pretty sure he's squeezed out of the playoff rotation. There's already 8 guaranteed players and I doubt he plays ahead of Green if they even use a 9th. He's been bricking 3s so much lately I'm not even sure he is brought in when desperate for 3pt spacing but I guess that's his only chance.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jakeospikez's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(04-14-2024, 08:29 PM)Luka77 Wrote: THJ is no 6th man of year type nor is he a bench assassin. He is far to inconsistent even off the bench and cant create his own shot.  Think someone like a Jason Terry or Jamal Crawford type.

Someone that carry the offense when Luka and Kyrie are out of the game and can play along side both.

As bad as he looked in the last few month I really wonder what happened.

pre allstar 17/4/2 on 56% TS in 30 min
post allstar 9/3/1 on 49% TS in 21 min

THJ was a solid player in the first half of the season. Probably one of his best stretches in a Mavs jersey. Top three in 6MOY odds. Trade deadline happens and all of a sudden he turns into one of the worst players in the league. Honestly feels like he is mailing it in. I used to defend THJ because he isn't nearly as bad of a player as the last 2-3 month suggest but I think it is in the best interest of THJ and the Mavs to move on as soon as possible.
[-] The following 6 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, mvossman, RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(04-14-2024, 02:01 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Oh, you mean a third star we can't afford to trade for. Got it.

Come on...is THJ that hard to replace.  Seems like any average defender that looks to make team plays and can shoot average would be better than THJ's streakiness.   Those guys arent that hard to find.

(04-14-2024, 08:29 PM)Luka77 Wrote: THJ is no 6th man of year type nor is he a bench assassin. He is far to inconsistent even off the bench and cant create his own shot.  Think someone like a Jason Terry or Jamal Crawford type.

He is paid like one.  At least paid like an assassin.   No need to argue about "bench" or "6th man".
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Whats funny is I think THJ should excel with this squad. And I want him to. I just think he cant overcome the need/want to launch the rock the second he receives it.

Im actually rooting for this guy big time, despite what my posts suggest. He has one of the best looking shots in the league...he just needs to work on decision making with the rock.
[-] The following 2 users Like youzigizag's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, WillE
Like Reply
(04-14-2024, 02:01 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Oh, you mean a third star we can't afford to trade for. Got it.

Is Grayson Allen not an upgrade?  He's been moved around from team to team as if he is not considered a star and just got paid less than THJ.

What are his major flaws that THJ doesnt have?
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 09:54 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Is Grayson Allen not an upgrade?  He's been moved around from team to team as if he is not considered a star and just got paid less than THJ.

What are his major flaws that THJ doesnt have?

THJ is the Dwight Powell to the Porzingas trade.
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 11:31 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: THJ is the Dwight Powell to the Porzingas trade.

Sorry...I dont get it :/
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 11:36 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Sorry...I dont get it :/

The trade with Boston was for Rondo...who obviously didn't work out but it's all good because Mavs got Diamond Powell.

The trade with NYK was for KP...who unfortunately didn't work out but it's all good because Mavs got THJ.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaxiThreeba's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 11:45 AM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: The trade with Boston was for Rondo...who obviously didn't work out but it's all good because Mavs got Diamond Powell.

The trade with NYK was for KP...who unfortunately didn't work out but it's all good because Mavs got THJ.

Thanks.  I understand now.

But I dont understand how that relates to my Allen post?
Like Reply
@wojespn
Phoenix Suns guard Grayson Allen has agreed on a four-year $70 million contract extension with a player option, Mitch Nathan, Aaron Mintz and Steven Heumann of
@CAA_Basketball tell ESPN.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 12:01 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @wojespn
Phoenix Suns guard Grayson Allen has agreed on a four-year $70 million contract extension with a player option, Mitch Nathan, Aaron Mintz and Steven Heumann of
@CAA_Basketball tell ESPN.

He deserves it. Leads the league in 3pt % .461.
Like Reply
(04-15-2024, 12:01 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Thanks.  I understand now.

But I dont understand how that relates to my Allen post?

You asked what THJ has that Grayson Allen does not (actually the reverse regarding flaws). The flaw on Grayson Allen is that he is among (probably #1) the dirtiest/most hated current players in the NBA, and I can't stand the other Morris. Grayson Allen would foul out EVERY game as a Maverick.

What THJ has...
THJ has an emotional attachment from mark to keep on the roster so that he can claim a win on the Porzingas trade, much as Powell has had an emotional attachment to keep on the roster to show a win over the Rondo fiasco.
Like Reply