Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Stein-Ingram Trade Inevitable| LAL Want Lebron Back On Any Terms
They couldn't have just one clean offseason. They just had to finish up putting a bad taste in your mouth.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 03:28 PM)mvossman Wrote: They couldn't have just one clean offseason.  They just had to finish up putting a bad taste in your mouth.

I don't love this move, but it's just because I would've preferred a cleaner way of getting McGee's money off of the books. If they feel they must do this, there must be some type of decent reason.
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 03:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't love this move, but it's just because I would've preferred a cleaner way of getting McGee's money off of the books. If they feel they must do this, there must be some type of decent reason.

I would rather they have him sit at home and then trade his expiring salary next year instead of eating it for the next 5 years.  But I am just as turned off by the Morris signing.  Its the 15th man so not something to get too upset about, but I see no value in that signing.  Its a waste of a roster spot.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • Mavs2021, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 03:36 PM)mvossman Wrote: I would rather they have him sit at home and then trade his expiring salary next year instead of eating it for the next 5 years.  But I am just as turned off by the Morris signing.  Its the 15th man so not something to get too upset about, but I see no value in that signing.  Its a waste of a roster spot.

Idk, it IS another big who can shoot 3's. 

Agreed on the McGee point. Maybe they're just cutting him outright. That would be much smarter, imo.
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 02:37 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: OK, Wood is not officially gone until he signs elsewhere.  En Lieu of Morris, what can we offer Wood?

A ride to the airport!
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 02:59 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not thrilled about him, specifically, but it's interesting that signs continue to support a versatile, switchable bigs approach. Morris, in theory, can do some of the same things as a 4/5 that Williams, Jones and O-Max can do. 

I definitely don't like the idea of Williams getting even one minute that could go to O-Max, and I hardly think his addition is worth the cap clogging decision to stretch waive McGee. In fact, despite being possibly the most vocal in my opposition of the McGee signing, originally, I feel like he might fill more of an occasional need here this season than Morris.
Even though I noticed that approach just like you, I hope if they really want to bring him in, than it's not for his on court contribution.

I mean, yes, he can stretch the floor and score a little bit d on the other end defend basically all bigs - but he's not really good at anything of that. Together with his age, I conclude that his calling card must be summarized as "culture".

Yet I hope it all won't play out this way as I'm not even convinced, that Morris is that good to justify such a trade.
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 03:39 PM)WillE Wrote: Even though I noticed that approach just like you, I hope if they really want to bring him in, than it's not for his on court contribution.

I mean, yes, he can stretch the floor and score a little bit d on the other end defend basically all bigs - but he's not really good at anything of that. Together with his age, I conclude that his calling card must be summarized as "culture".

Yet I hope it all won't play out this way as I'm not even convinced, that Morris is that good to justify such a trade.

If we are signing a Morris twin for culture reasons, we are in a lot of trouble.
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, ItsGoTime, Scott41theMavs, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 03:36 PM)mvossman Wrote: I would rather they have him sit at home and then trade his expiring salary next year instead of eating it for the next 5 years.
Is it allowed to not let a player under contract get in contact with the team?
So do we necessarily have to waive him or could we keep his contract for an eventual trade and "just" let him block that last roster spot?
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 03:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Idk, it IS another big who can shoot 3's. 

Agreed on the McGee point. Maybe they're just cutting him outright. That would be much smarter, imo.

Morris couldn't get on the court when we were desperately thin at PF, and now we have added Williams/Omax/DJJ while he is a year older.  For a team with no bruising bigs and no established third PG, seems like there had to be better options.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • Mavs2021, michaeltex, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 03:39 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: A ride to the airport!

Come on, Wood deserves more than that.  At least throw in a "Learn Mandarin in 30 Days" book.
[-] The following 5 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, Smitty, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 03:49 PM)mvossman Wrote: Morris couldn't get on the court when we were desperately thin at PF, and now we have added Williams/Omax/DJJ while he is a year older.  For a team with no bruising bigs and no established third PG, seems like there had to be better options.

Well, it's surprising to me, too, but they apparently think he'll play more than McGee would have. I mean, unless McGee is the worst locker room presence of all-time one has to assume the desire to add Morris for some reason we can't immediately pinpoint has to have played some part in this decision. 

If nothing else, it's interesting. I wouldn't have predicted this with infinite chances to guess.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 03:46 PM)WillE Wrote: Is it allowed to not let a player under contract get in contact with the team?
So do we necessarily have to waive him or could we keep his contract for an eventual trade and "just" let him block that last roster spot?

Its a good question.  I'm not sure if you really can do that.  

Another random question, could Green extension involve getting him extra money this coming season?  It seems like India did something like that with Turner, but that might have been a different situation.  Maybe thats a reason for the stretch waive?  So they could add some to this year without hitting the tax line?
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 03:53 PM)mvossman Wrote: Its a good question.  I'm not sure if you really can do that.  

Another random question, could Green extension involve getting him extra money this coming season?  It seems like India did something like that with Turner, but that might have been a different situation.  Maybe thats a reason for the stretch waive?  So they could add some to this year without hitting the tax line?

I don't think Green's impending extension is a likely reason, but figuring out what, if any, use they might have for the extra money the stretch waive would free up might be a decent thought direction. 

Is the Capela trade still alive, maybe?
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 03:39 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: A ride to the airport!

Stein says Morris is non-guaranteed.  So, his contract eats up space under the tax only for as long as he's on the roster.  With the S/W, Dallas is $5.48mm under the tax (minus whatever amount of that is used on Morris).
[-] The following 5 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • BigDirk41, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 03:58 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Stein says Morris is non-guaranteed.  So, his contract eats up space under the tax only for as long as he's on the roster.  With the S/W, Dallas is $5.48mm under the tax (minus whatever amount of that is used on Morris).  Spotrac also has DJJ as non-guaranteed at the minimum.

I just read that about Morris being non-guaranteed (which is good news) but I thought I read that DJJ is fully guaranteed?

Edit: everything I'm seeing says DJJ is fully guaranteed.
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 03:53 PM)mvossman Wrote: It seems like Indiana did something like that with Turner, but that might have been a different situation.  Maybe thats a reason for the stretch waive?  So they could add some to this year without hitting the tax line?

That was cap space, not space under the tax line.
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 03:53 PM)mvossman Wrote: Its a good question.  I'm not sure if you really can do that.  

Indy could do that deal because they were actually under the cap by that amount
We're way above the cap
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 04:00 PM)mvossman Wrote: I just read that about Morris being non-guaranteed (which is good news) but I thought I read that DJJ is fully guaranteed?

Edit: everything I'm seeing says DJJ is fully guaranteed.

I'll edit the post.  When you hover over him on the team page on Spotrac, it says non-guaranteed.  But, on the DJJ page, it doesn't mention that.  I've slept since he signed, but I think you may be correct.
Like Reply
(08-22-2023, 04:00 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: That was cap space, not space under the tax line.

Makes sense.  So maybe they stretch him because they want him out now and they want to reduce the hit next year when they pay Green Extension.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Rehab is a long and hard process. After years of geriatric veteran addiction a minor setback shouldn´t overshadow the positive development of the last few months.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply