Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Stein-Ingram Trade Inevitable| LAL Want Lebron Back On Any Terms
(07-05-2023, 09:01 PM)Tyler Wrote: The rumored Thybulle contract is interesting because it implies a starting salary of about $10.4mm. That just happens to be Bullock's exact number. The Bullock/Williams trade would NOT create a TPE alone. But what if Nico has a way to wedge the Williams acquisition into the larger Bertans deal? Then Bullock would technically be a salary dump, and Dallas would have a $10.4mm TPE to take Thybulle without sending money back.

So in that conspiracy theory situation, all of the specific Thybulle talk today could be Dallas saying that they DO plan on offering Thybulle a RFA contract. If Portland wants to match, they could just sign Thybulle on their own and it never would have gotten this far. But if they DON'T plan to match, why not S&T him to us before noon tomorrow and accept a 2nd rounder that we just acquired?
^This is some really solid reasoning here

Offer Portland $10.4 million TPE plus a 2nd OR Mcgee and both

Not bad for Portland
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • Tyler
Like Reply
It looks like Cato kind of nailed this (just had the wrong outgoing salary).  Report of the offer to Thybulle at $33mm means he and Curry are splitting the MLE.  GWill is essentially the same as a second MLE created by the S&T.

Spotrac has Dallas at $154.913 with G-Will and without the Holmes TK, the rookies and Thybulle.  So add,

$7.884 Thybulle
$2.733 O-Max
$4.775 Lively
$1.800 TK for Holmes

$172.105 (rounded)

It doesn’t necessarily mean we are done (though we could be).  We just have to take back less than we send out.  If we get Thybulle, a McGee S/W is in play as we will have 15 players.  At 14, it makes no sense because you have to replace him with a minimum slot.  At 15, we can drop back to 14 with McGee out and not be forced to replace him.

So every proposal we look at from here (assuming we get Thybulle) can take back extra salary up to the benefit of McGee’s S/W OR has to be for less money.  For instance, you can’t trade match THJ and picks for Allen unless you include McGee or S/W him.  Charlotte can complete a THJ for PJ deal, but it has to be as an under the cap deal at up to PJ’s hold of $17.4mm for Charlotte to avoid BYC.  BTW, $17.4mm to start fulfills the reported $18mm/year average over 4 years for PJ.  So, lots of things we can do.  We just have fewer ways to do them if we believe the reported goals of moving on from McGee and THJ.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, michaeltex, Reunion Mav, The Jom
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 09:31 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It looks like Cato kind of nailed this (just had the wrong outgoing salary).  Report of the offer to Thybulle at $33mm means he and Curry are splitting the MLE.  GWill is essentially the same as a second MLE created by the S&T.

Spotrac has Dallas at $154.913 with G-Will and without the Holmes TK, the rookies and Thybulle.  So add,

$7.884 Thybulle
$2.733 O-Max
$4.775 Lively
$1.800 TK for Holmes

$172.105 (rounded)

It doesn’t necessarily mean we are done (though we could be).  We just have to take back less than we send out.  If we get Thybulle, a McGee S/W is in play as we will have 15 players.  At 14, it makes no sense because you have to replace him with a minimum slot.  At 15, we can drop back to 14 with McGee out and not be forced to replace him.

So every proposal we look at from here (assuming we get Thybulle) can take back extra salary up to the benefit of McGee’s S/W OR has to be for less money.  For instance, you can’t trade match THJ and picks for Allen unless you include McGee or S/W him.  Charlotte can complete a THJ for PJ deal, but it has to be as an under the cap deal at up to PJ’s hold of $17.4mm for Charlotte to avoid BYC.  BTW, $17.4mm to start fulfills the reported $18mm/year average over 4 years for PJ.  So, lots of things we can do.  We just have fewer ways to do them if we believe the reported goals of moving on from McGee and THJ.

Thybulle has to start at 10.5M for it to be 3/33 based on 5% raises.
Seth was 4M+ year 1 and TMac already reported that Mavs are using the BAE?

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...97056?s=46&t=4w35gotNXtBJnqxbaL7e9w
[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, MFFL, Tyler
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 09:01 PM)Tyler Wrote: The rumored Thybulle contract is interesting because it implies a starting salary of about $10.4mm. That just happens to be Bullock's exact number. The Bullock/Williams trade would NOT create a TPE alone. But what if Nico has a way to wedge the Williams acquisition into the larger Bertans deal? Then Bullock would technically be a salary dump, and Dallas would have a $10.4mm TPE to take Thybulle without sending money back.

So in that conspiracy theory situation, all of the specific Thybulle talk today could be Dallas saying that they DO plan on offering Thybulle a RFA contract. If Portland wants to match, they could just sign Thybulle on their own and it never would have gotten this far. But if they DON'T plan to match, why not S&T him to us before noon tomorrow and accept a 2nd rounder that we just acquired?

Now that is interesting.  It means no TK for Holmes as $17mm outgoing for Bertans plus $7.5mm trade match is all you have to work with.  It also means G-Will is taking slightly less than is being reported.  Most he can get is $12.454mm and he is reported as $12.558mm.  I like the conspiracy theory about Thybulle and we now have a sweetener second to offer.  I’m sure the cap guy will read this and slightly change the G-Will number before turning it into the league.
Like Reply
Cato pretending that he called the deal

+++

Dallas trading Hardaway, as I suggested Monday, would have likely been preferred, but it would have required a fourth team involved in this deal. including Bullock was a simpler path for Dallas to acquire a player the team prioritized.

https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1676744173976952834
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 09:33 PM)Smitty Wrote: Thybulle has to start at 10.5M for it to be 3/33 based on 5% raises.
Seth was 4M+ year 1 and TMac already reported that Mavs are using the BAE?

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...97056?s=46&t=4w35gotNXtBJnqxbaL7e9w

My bad.  I read it as four years for the $33mm (it is almost 4 in the morning where I am).  I also saw a self congratulatory tweet from Cato on this with Thybulle starting at $7.9 (Seth doesn’t have to be the BAE as it can be changed to part of the MLE as it hasn’t been turned in yet).  

There isn’t room for $10.4 salary for Thybulle and remain under the first apron.  It does fit if we S/W McGee though.  So, it seems either Cato is right on a split MLE or McGee is S/W’d before the Thybulle offer goes in.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 09:48 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: My bad.  I read it as four years for the $33mm (it is almost 4 in the morning where I am).  I also saw a self congratulatory tweet from Cato on this with Thybulle starting at $7.9 (Seth doesn’t have to be the BAE as it can be changed to part of the MLE as it hasn’t been turned in yet).  

There isn’t room for $10.4 salary for Thybulle and remain under the first apron.  It does fit if we S/W McGee though.  So, it seems either Cato is right on a split MLE or McGee is S/W’d before the Thybulle offer goes in.

Good morning to you. Could it be as simple as Holmes waived his TK and now Mavs have the exact number under the 1st apron to offer the 3/~33 to Thybulle?
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 09:52 PM)Smitty Wrote: Good morning to you. Could it be as simple as Holmes waived his TK and now Mavs have the exact number under the 1st apron to offer the 3/~33 to Thybulle?

Only with a McGee S/W.  Otherwise, $10.4mm for Thybulle puts us over the apron as the numbers in my post indicated.

$172.105
-$1.800 TK
-$7.884 Thybulle assumption
+$10.4 New Thybulle assumption
$172.821 = too much

But, TK’s can be partially waived, so Holmes could take $1.0mm and waive $800k and be good.

Yeah, I probably shouldn’t have checked the board in the middle of the night. Going back to bed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 06:40 PM)MFFL Wrote: Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach
·
18m
Sources confirm that Celtics forward Grant Williams is headed to Dallas in a sign-and-trade.

Interesting that Grant gets the exact number he was seeking in an extension last fall.

A number Boston refused to match because of the Brown Tatum  extensions.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 09:58 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Only with a McGee S/W.  Otherwise, $10.4mm for Thybulle puts us over the apron as the numbers in my post indicated.

Yeah, I probably shouldn’t have checked the board in the middle of the night.

Yeah also probably in a situation where the numbers don't have to be perfect already. Get the agreement, see if they match, and clear out that space as needed before signing Seth and Powell
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 09:58 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Only with a McGee S/W.  Otherwise, $10.4mm for Thybulle puts us over the apron as the numbers in my post indicated.

Yeah, I probably shouldn’t have checked the board in the middle of the night.

So it’s safe to assume McGee will be traded or waived. Thanks!
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 08:26 PM)mvossman Wrote: I thought it was 24 hours?

He can sign the offer sheet any time after free agency opens on July 1, and perhaps already has. But the moratorium ends at noon ET on July 6, and if it is submitted to POR any time before that point, they have until midnight ET on July 7 to exercise their ROFR.
[-] The following 4 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, MFFL, Smitty, The Jom
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 08:44 PM)cow Wrote: Agent probably trying to get him to Dallas.  Portland probably matches that offer but this might help a trade materialize before the RFA period starts.

Once he signs the offer sheet, it is "match" or "don't match." There is no trade opportunity. And the snt route demands POR would have to take matching salary and all that anyhow, which would be an issue for POR to deal with unless they want McGee.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:04 PM)F Gump Wrote: He can sign the offer sheet any time after free agency opens on July 1, and perhaps already has. But the moratorium ends at noon ET on July 6, and if it is submitted to POR any time before that point, they have until midnight ET on July 7 to exercise their ROFR.

I’m thinking contract has to have a player option for year 3 and a trade kicker to make it harder on Portland.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 08:52 PM)The Jom Wrote: Wonder if he might fit into the Bullock TPE (if there is one).

There is not one left over - Bullock (in fact, Bullock x about 1.2) is the match for GW.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
NBA Insider
@nbainsidergoat
·
21m
Dallas - Grant Williams deal DOES NOT mean you are out of the race for P.J. Washington. Remember that.
Like Reply
Cato on twitter saying he still expects a Hardaway trade.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:01 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: A number Boston refused to match because of the Brown Tatum  extensions.
Boston oof

Smart and Grant out

Mavs steal O-Max one pick before 

KP in on a 3/90 ?!?!?!?

Celtics lost mental and physical toughness. And are one injury away from disaster. Brown getting close to the full supermax would really put into question if this team is past its peak
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:20 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Cato on twitter saying he still expects a Hardaway trade.

I expect THJ+one of those recent SRPs acquired traded for PJ Washington.

Mavs could roll-out with Holmes, Lively and DP at C for the regular season.
In the play-offs, most of the minutes at the 5 would be for Maxi and PJ.
Like Reply
(07-05-2023, 10:12 PM)F Gump Wrote: Once he signs the offer sheet, it is "match" or "don't match." There is no trade opportunity. And the snt route demands POR would have to take matching salary and all that anyhow, which would be an issue for POR to deal with unless they want McGee.

Duh.  I'm not talking about the offer being signed.  Notice the "until the RFA period starts" of what you quoted.
Like Reply