Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(03-10-2023, 03:56 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Jarred Vanderbilt

I think he is not a FA, he has one more year of his rookie deal
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(03-10-2023, 03:56 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I would love to see a move to get 2 PF type bigs this offseason and then fill in the 1st/2nd C spot with a Biyombo type for a low minute C by committee until the end if games. I guess we could make Maxi that starter that only gets 18-20 mpg and closes too, we just wouldn’t see him a lot throughout the game that way.

There are a few names that are FA (some RFAs) that I would like to think are somewhat gettable. I’d like to get a starter quality and a semi-starter quality guy. Mix and match any 2 of:

Grant Williams
Rui Hachimura
Obi Toppin
PJ Washington 
Jarred Vanderbilt

Some of those names are more gettable than others, but if we could get 2 of them where 1 starts and the other plays high minutes (both in the game together a good amount), I think that would really make the engine purr.

I'm leaning more towards a 3/4 wing defender than a PF type big. Vanderbilt and Williams can certainly get it done on defense though, so I'm on board if they are attainable. My list would be something like:

OG Anunoby
Jerami Grant
Royce O'Neale
Jae Crowder
Kenrich Williams
Jalen McDaniels
Torrey Craig
Lamar Stevens
Jonathan Isaac (if waived)

Good call on Biyombo as a cheap defensive center to look at. Phoenix sure bamboozled us last offseason by keeping him for the minimum instead of McGee. I also like Eubanks and Reid, but they aren't exactly great rim protectors.
Like Reply
I don't know about Grant Williams. He's fallen out of favor in Boston. He is asking for more $$ than he's worth on a extension.  He's not getting the minutes he was last year as he played much better and won game 7 vs the Bucks with 27 pts off the bench. He missed 2 crucial FTs that would have won the game when he told Donovan Mitchell I believe it was that he was going to make both of them, and they lost in OT.  Maybe a change of scenary would do him good.
Like Reply
(03-11-2023, 02:32 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I don't know about Grant Williams. He's fallen out of favor in Boston. He is asking for more $$ than he's worth on a extension.  He's not getting the minutes he was last year as he played much better and won game 7 vs the Bucks with 27 pts off the bench. He missed 2 crucial FTs that would have won the game when he told Donovan Mitchell I believe it was that he was going to make both of them, and they lost in OT.  Maybe a change of scenary would do him good.
Get them before they break out!
Like Reply
(03-10-2023, 02:35 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think Morey would have bigger plans.  From what I understand if Harden left, they would try to move Harris with a first for nothing.   That may be tough but there may be a team who will take Harris and a first and then see if they can eventually flip him again.   I believe this would give them max room?  At least that was my thinking, so they could be in the Kyrie market too if Harden does leave.

Should Harden leave PHI is destroyed. 

There aren't many teams out there that can just eat Harris' contract and trade back nothing in return, and even if they did PHI still isn't close to Kyrie's max. Ky's max starts at just a hair over 45 million. Even if PHI renounced all of their contract's, traded Harris for absolutely nothing, they're still about 3 million short. 

Of course in the land of stars dictating where they want to go, there is always the disclaimer of somehow they'll find a way. After Brunson nothing is set in stone. 

But omahen is correct, if Kyrie leaves for nothing, this team is doomed. Like doomed doomed. That was the risk they took when they made the trade.

Regarding eating Harris' contract and taking a pick on, I'm more than interested in such a deal. Especially if it meant we could unload a guy like Bertans in the process. Harris is a solid player that's overpaid. Getting a good player AND a 1st while unloading a nothing guy in Bertans would be exactly the type of deal the Mavs should be vying after.

But it'd cost Cuban big big money. Not sure he'd be into it (even though he greenlighted the Kyrie deal).
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-13-2023, 01:50 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Regarding eating Harris' contract and taking a pick on, I'm more than interested in such a deal. Especially if it meant we could unload a guy like Bertans in the process.

That will not happen. Teams are not giving away better players. Harris is expiring. The only way Philly is paying to get rid of him is, if they won't get anything in return. Mavs can't help with that
Like Reply
(03-13-2023, 02:59 PM)omahen Wrote: That will not happen. Teams are not giving away better players. Harris is expiring. The only way Philly is paying to get rid of him is, if they won't get anything in return. Mavs can't help with that

I forgot Harris is expiring. That definitely lowers the barrier of offloading him. But the 76ers are still paying an absurd amount of money for a 3rd option. Whether or not the Mavs can help, I definitely think they can in the form of providing smaller priced role players to split up Harris into 2. 

A package of THJ+SnT Wood for Harris+1st keeps them competitive and gives them a big man they've been desperately searching for to backup Embiid.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
kyrie deal was a bargain compared to other trades, yet we gave up too many of our limited assets in the deal to afford letting him walk free this summer. at least we need to get back some draft capitals should kyrie leave.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...00612?s=20
Like Reply
Look at Grant's rebounding rate.  It's abysmal.  I'd much rather Kuzma.
Like Reply
(03-21-2023, 09:20 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Look at Grant's rebounding rate.  It's abysmal.  I'd much rather Kuzma.

We are the worst rebounding team in the association.  We need a PF/SF who rebounds at least as well as our PG.  Resign Kyrie and Christian.  If possible, S&T for Kuzma (sounds like KP is walking and they'll go thru the 10th rebuild in the last 5 years, lol).

Point - Luka
Guard - Kyrie
Guard - Green
Forward - Kuzma
Center - Wood
Like Reply
(03-21-2023, 09:49 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: We are the worst rebounding team in the association.  We need a PF/SF who rebounds at least as well as our PG.  Resign Kyrie and Christian.  If possible, S&T for Kuzma (sounds like KP is walking and they'll go thru the 10th rebuild in the last 5 years, lol).

Point - Luka
Guard - Kyrie
Guard - Green
Forward - Kuzma
Center - Wood

That's an interesting point. Although the advanced metrics say Grant does rebound at a relative average rate, he doesn't get that many chances for wings. Probably a combination of where he likes to hang out on the court+the scheme he plays in leads to him getting a poor RPG stat. 

Kuzma isn't a bad player, but he's going to want some big money. Are you comfortable paying Kuzma close to 30 mil a year? I doubt his primary focus every offseason is trying to win a championship.
Like Reply
Wizards will pay Kuzma big $$$ because Wizards.
Like Reply
(03-21-2023, 10:27 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Wizards will pay Kuzma big $$$ because Wizards.

If they don't they're screwed on the wing department cause they traded Rui for pennies on the dollar.
Like Reply
(03-21-2023, 10:27 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Wizards will pay Kuzma big $$$ because Wizards.

Of course they will. It’s done and dusted. The whole reason for trading Hachimura. Kuzma is not an option for the Mavs. And, even if he were, he’s not the defender they need there. Far, far from it.
Like Reply
(03-21-2023, 10:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Of course they will. It’s done and dusted. The whole reason for trading Hachimura. Kuzma is not an option for the Mavs. And, even if he were, he’s not the defender they need there. Far, far from it.

Kuzma has a dfg% of 47.7, which is great for a PF.  Grant is 48.2.  IMO Kuzma's ideal for us, if he can be had.  I mean, what else is out there?
Like Reply
(03-23-2023, 01:59 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Kuzma has a dfg% of 47.7, which is great for a PF.  Grant is 48.2.  IMO Kuzma's ideal for us, if he can be had.  I mean, what else is out there?
I’d like to figure out Grant Williams or put pressure on Cha with PJ Wash if they sign Bridges. I think either of those routes is easier and more fitting to Luka’s timeline than either Kuzma or Grant. There are other names out there that I would want to explore over the expensive plays (although if they were to get either of the two, I wouldn’t be exactly mad).
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(03-23-2023, 02:34 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I’d like to figure out Grant Williams or put pressure on Cha with PJ Wash if they sign Bridges. I think either of those routes is easier and more fitting to Luka’s timeline than either Kuzma or Grant. There are other names out there that I would want to explore over the expensive plays (although if they were to get either of the two, I wouldn’t be exactly mad).

Grant Williams as a 3&D PF would be nice.  I think he'd be a nice piece, but IMO he doesn't have an all-around game to be a starter on a championship team.  PJ Washington would be ideal.  I'd love either of the McDaniels.  I think Phila got a steal.
Like Reply
SnT is not impossible, but very difficult. I think Jerami Grant is the only one worth the trouble. I think he is far nicer fit than Kuzma.
Like Reply
(03-24-2023, 06:15 PM)omahen Wrote: SnT is not impossible, but very difficult. I think Jerami Grant is the only one worth the trouble. I think he is far nicer fit than Kuzma.

In what regards is Grant a better a fit than Kuzma?  Scoring?  No.  Rebounding?  No.  Defense?  No.
Like Reply