Poll: Who gets the Dirkie?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Luka (+8, 53 pts, 2 stl, 5 ast, 8 rbd)
100.00%
18 100.00%
JG (+17, 8 pts, 1 stl, 1 blk, 3 ast, 2 rbd)
0%
0 0%
RB (+15, 9 pts, 3 ast, 3 rbd)
0%
0 0%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 52 DIRKIE: Winner Luka (100%)
Brick 
Who was the player of the game who elevated his game to help the team win?
Like Reply
The Detroit assistant coach.

(Luka)
Like Reply
The Detroit Pistons are last in the East and it took a fairly nice 53 point game from Luka to barely beat them?  At least Luka didn't have to play 48 minutes.

I would also disagree with those who say Luka is greedy, a one man show, etc.  No...he just does what he has to do to win.

I agree that there needs to be some team integration on offense and defense, but that's on the coaches--isn't it?

So who earned my Dirkie?

Reggie Bullock?  No.  He did only what he should do night in, night out.

Josh Green?  Interesting choice if so.  He brings energy.  He scores a bit.  Plays great defense.  Provides intangibles.  But, on this night, not enough for a Dirkie.

I guess that only leaves Luka.  He can't keep carrying the load he's asked to carry.  Can he?  Anyway...Luka earns my Dirkie...just like Dirk did.  The old fashioned way.
Like Reply
12/13 on 2 point shots is insane. 

All in a days work for the Don? Casual 53 points. Loved Luka jawing at the Pistons bench the whole game as it seemed to get him locked in and motivated to bury them. Felt like he redirected the ire he usually has for the refs towards their bench too. Honestly I think that's better for him in the long run to get calls. 

Pretty disappointing that the team just couldn't build a lead at all. It felt like the Mavs were in control the whole time, yet they fell quite far behind. The lack of rebounding is really apparent out there and I felt it was a big part in why the Mavs couldn't just stack a lead.

Side note, THJ is really bad at basketball. Just an inefficient chucker. The type of shots he takes are just cut from the JR Smith cloth and it's hard to play winning basketball with that on the court. I'm not super surprised the team didn't miss a single beat when he went down last year (*And at the time I felt it was a huge loss too), but I've sobered up REAL quick. 

If any contender comes calling for timmy and offers any draft compensation Cuban/Nico would be fools to not take that deal and run as fast as you can.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • burekemde, hakeemfaan
Like Reply
You never tank when you have Luka. Even if you have only THJ clones on all other positions.
Like Reply
(01-31-2023, 01:43 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: 12/13 on 2 point shots is insane. 

All in a days work for the Don? Casual 53 points. Loved Luka jawing at the Pistons bench the whole game as it seemed to get him locked in and motivated to bury them. Felt like he redirected the ire he usually has for the refs towards their bench too. Honestly I think that's better for him in the long run to get calls. 

Pretty disappointing that the team just couldn't build a lead at all. It felt like the Mavs were in control the whole time, yet they fell quite far behind. The lack of rebounding is really apparent out there and I felt it was a big part in why the Mavs couldn't just stack a lead.

Side note, THJ is really bad at basketball. Just an inefficient chucker. The type of shots he takes are just cut from the JR Smith cloth and it's hard to play winning basketball with that on the court. I'm not super surprised the team didn't miss a single beat when he went down last year (*And at the time I felt it was a huge loss too), but I've sobered up REAL quick. 

If any contender comes calling for timmy and offers any draft compensation Cuban/Nico would be fools to not take that deal and run as fast as you can.

Agree that it is even better Luka channels his inner anger towards the opponents. Bit like Bird was doing it with all the trash talking. Luka needs to channel it somewhere however, it makes him even better player. I agree he got the calls that he should have but usually doesn't get in games where Luka channels that inner anger towards the refs. More trash talking to opponents is way better strategy. But we shouldn't try to contain that anger. Better towards the refs than keeping it in him. It's part of his competitive spirit and who he is. And most of time his complains are justified, not always, but usually. They anger the refs however and he misses some calls due to it, but on the other side it improves him as a player as he gets more into the games that way. I agree I hope he channels that more towards the opponents and the talking back and forth makes the games even more fun to watch.
Like Reply
Great, great performance by the NBA’s best player! Did anyone notice he had 8 points and 5 rebounds IN THE FINAL 5 MINUTES???????

4th quarter Spense was impressive too. There’s got to be a joke in there somewhere about keeping us in “suspense,” but I can’t find it. 

Josh is really turning into something special. Glimpses of Trix in his game-changing impact. 

But holy cow was Bogdonovic incredible. I only watch him against the Mavs. But based on that sample, he’s clearly the 2nd best player in the league.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • burekemde, DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(01-31-2023, 10:41 AM)burekemde Wrote: Better towards the refs than keeping it in him

This is where you and I differ though.

One of my only wishes is for Luka to curb his complaining to officials. It's a bit comical that he has something to say literally every time down on the court. He isn't being fouled at that rate. Dude needs to get back on defense.

It's a small complaint. I don't really care all too much for him to change given how he's performing, but I'd 1000000% rather he direct his anger every time down to yell at an opponent vs. a ref. He can actually win vs. one of those foes.

(01-31-2023, 01:33 PM)The Jom Wrote: Josh is really turning into something special. Glimpses of Trix in his game-changing impact. 

This is a great comparison. Marion was another level of scorer than Josh, but their games in terms of playmaking, hustle, and defense are eerily similar. He's blossoming and I hope he keeps it up.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(01-31-2023, 11:28 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: This is where you and I differ though.

I think we have same opinion. I also think it would be the best to not talk to refs nor the opponenets. I just dont think Luka can be the same player if he maintains that anger in him. Some players are able to perform as well in that state as in the outwards anger towards other state. But I think Lukas level of play would diminish in that case if he stopped channeling that inner anger. So I really agree that it is the best to do, I just dont think Luka can pull that off. Its the way his personality is. And from what I have seen, he is even better player when that anger is towards opponnets than the refs. If Luka ever stops complaining entirely to everyone, I would be really worried and start to consider trading him (this is mainly a joke, but will a very faint level of truth). He is just super competitive, and it is is part of him. I think it would be like removing his arm or something. But I hope I'm wrong, I hope he can remove the complaining and still be the same or even better player.
Like Reply