Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Most Unplayable Maverick of the Week
(01-21-2024, 10:26 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Fair.  I wasn't willing to take on the pitchforks from both the "never-Kuzma" crowd and the "never-2027" crowd, but I suspect you are correct about it taking a GSW #1 and a Dallas #1.  

I would LOVE to add a Moody for Hardy swap to this.  I'd be all over adding 2027 if I could to that.

Personally, I don't have a strong opinion about Kuzma. He can certainly replace THJ offensive production and is a better positional fit. But I have not seen enough of him to have an opinion if he is a long-term solution at PF, especially on defense. So, if the Mavs decide that he is and spend assets on him, I can accept it and wait to see what happens. His contract is not bad, so as long as he can continue to put up numbers, it shouldn't be difficult to move him. 

Big wings really have value around the league as everyone needs them. Most of people thought Grant got way overpaid in the summer, but it seems now there are teams willing to pay assets to get him. Similar with Kuzma. 

GSW will be really interesting to watch. The decline happened with their core guys Thompson, Draymond and Wiggins. On the other hand they have interesting young players (Moody, Kuminga) who can't get minutes behind those declining guys. They owe it to Curry to try to remain competitive, but they also sort of owe it to Draymond and Thompson to give them the possibility to finish their careers where they started and brought so much success. But, they simply overpaid Draymond and Thompson also didn't look ready to take a huge discount in the summer. Wasting the #2 pick on Wiseman was a huge hit for them.

If I am GSW, I would have a really tough choice for a way forward. Spend all the assets trying to put a competitive team around the "big three"? Forget all the emotions and history and sell of two thirds of "the big three" and start a rebuild? At the end, I would probably chose a middle way. Allow "the big three" three more years together so they can all retire as GSW, but not spending assets to try to build a contender. It might be impossible with those three. Rather just collect those middle of the pack rookies and try to develop them into useful players. Then try to do a quick rebuild after retiring "the big three" together in one summer.
Like Reply
(01-21-2024, 10:26 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote:  both the "never-Kuzma" crowd and the "never-2027" crowd

There is only one of us, and yet we are legion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(01-21-2024, 10:16 AM)omahen Wrote: I think Mavs give up way too little for Kuzma (I understand some of the pieces are going to GSW and some to Washington). I don't agree Kuzma and THJ are similar value. Kuzma is scoring more than THJ while also being a decent rebounder and passer. I think he is also a better defender. He got a 100 mil deal, but it is declining and in a league where everyone needs wings, especially ones that can shoot, he will always be a positive asset. Holmes is a negative contract of at least 2 SRP. 

Washington receives two (very) bad contracts and just one FRP. I think their asking price in this kind of package would be (at least) 2 FRP.

Washington is in no hurry to sell Kuzma. His value will only increase with time. They are bottom three worse teams as it is, so no need for them to get even worse. I think minimum to get us in conversation for Kuzma is 2027 first and then a combination of remaining assets.

I think you are probably right on Kuz perceived value.  That deal probably requires a first+ from Mavs.  What a disaster that would be.  Kuz scores a little more than Timmy (1 more point per 36 for career) but with lower efficiency.  He has more ways to score but is significantly worse from 3.  He can distribute some but also turns it over a lot.  He does more things on the court than Timmy, but he doesn't do them particularly well.  He is a better rebounder.  The advanced stats actually like Timmy better on offense and consider them equally bad on defense.  We will be forced to play him in the starting lineup where he will be taking shots away from the much more efficient Luka/Kyrie, and his lack of defense will be more exposed.  Given how much this board hammers Tim, I predict it will turn on Kuz quickly, especially given the assets we would have to give up to get him.
[-] The following 6 users Like mvossman's post:
  • ACMFFL, DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, Smitty, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
(01-21-2024, 11:32 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: There is only one of us, and yet we are legion.

No Killer. There are two of us at least. Waste of a descent basketball body on a ….be nice…. Human being I don’t want on my team. Even the Hated Lakers recognized this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reunion Mav's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply