DP
DP
DP
DP
DP

and of course Josh Green.

and Coach Kidd, we have no identity...

6X Double Penetration?

You boomers are finally gonna ban me for this one aren’t you?
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 2 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(11-22-2023, 01:32 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: He is in the locker room to tell the team that Kidd and Dudley are great. No matter how bad the defensive scheme is. No matter how bad the inbound plays are.
Considering that we haven't seen an open mutiny since he joined the team he is having an MVP level impact.

Kieff is really here because Kyrie Irving likes him and wanted him. If you know Kyrie's history having Kieff on the team to keep Kyrie happy is worth a roster spot.
Like Reply
(11-22-2023, 05:07 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: 6X Double Penetration?

[Image: shake-weight.gif]

Who you calling a boomer, zoomer?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(11-22-2023, 11:56 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Kieff is really here because Kyrie Irving likes him and wanted him. If you know Kyrie's history having Kieff on the team to keep Kyrie happy is worth a roster spot.

If true, I'm on board.
Like Reply
(11-22-2023, 05:07 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: 6X Double Penetration?

I wouldn't.  You are entitled to you opinion--or jest--whatever it is. And yes, I am a boomer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(11-23-2023, 12:10 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: I wouldn't.  You are entitled to you opinion--or jest--whatever it is.    And yes, I am a boomer.

XD
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
I’m wondering how this psychological quality affects people’s perception of players:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negativity_bias

Here’s my theory:  

Players who make highly visible negative plays (whether mistakes, or just misses) receive significantly more scorn and hatred than players who don’t.

Examples of highly visible negatives:

THJ’s “heat check” 3-pointers early in the shot clock (when he misses, of course).

Powell fumbling a rebound, or being pushed around inside.

Hardy missing some contested shots.

Luka turning the ball over or misssing a three at a critical time.

Green choosing to pass rather than shoot.

So what?

It takes significantly more positive performance to have the same psychological “weight” as negative performance.

So, although Powell’s metrics are almost always pretty favorable, they aren’t highly visible. So he gets very little positive “weight” in many people’s minds.

THJ’s shooting numbers are good, but it’s the misses that make many people want to trade him.

I haven’t seen anyone clamoring to trade or cut Luka yet, but massive criticism about his conditioning, his style of play? Sure, after a loss.

Green is a pretty solid, borderline starter. He makes lots of winning plays. But only after hitting a couple of recent game-winners are people “forgiving” his hesitation to hoist up shots.
[-] The following 3 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • ballsrchr, DanSchwartzgan, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
There is a not so small group of people that doesn't post after wins or after a good game from player x/y/z. Just how it is.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, mvossman, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(01-15-2024, 09:02 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: There is a not so small group of people that doesn't post after wins or after a good game from player x/y/z. Just how it is.

I look at it differently. Your way might be better.

I think of those who post regardless of the results the “regulars.” I think of the group you’re talking about as trolls.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
I think Hardy has the third or fourth worst true shooting percentage in the entire league among players with sufficient playing time to be measured for that stat. That’s team wrecking performance. I was wrong about him. He doesn’t have the handles or athleticism to efficiently create shots in the NBA and since he really doesn’t do anything else, he’s not even rosterable much less playable. I’d move on if anyone would take him. And it wouldn’t be that big a deal. Second round picks bust all the time in the NBA. He was a flyer. Looked promising, now we know.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(01-20-2024, 09:02 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I think Hardy has the third or fourth worst true shooting percentage in the entire league among players with sufficient playing time to be measured for that stat. That’s team wrecking performance. I was wrong about him. He doesn’t have the handles or athleticism to efficiently create shots in the NBA and since he really doesn’t do anything else, he’s not even rosterable much less playable. I’d move on if anyone would take him.  And it wouldn’t be that big a deal. Second round picks bust all the time in the NBA. He was a flyer. Looked promising, now we know.

This is why Dallas is mainly mentioned in terms of reclamation projects like Wiggins/Washington, both of whom are playing well below their contracts.  Collins used to be on that list, and we saw Atlanta basically give him away.  If we want to get into the game for a Grant or even DFS, we'd have to give up a real asset like 2027 or OMax.  Someone like WCJ probably requires THJ as Orlando can afford to trade one of their 3 centers for more shooting.

Hardy is a prominent asset for us, but he's probably a fake asset for NBA teams.  Sure, he'll be sold in other towns as this young scorer (future sixth man) who hit 40% of his 3's last season.  Some parts of a fan base will buy that and some parts will point to all the negative numbers he's producing and question whether he'll ever become anything (it isn't like the market for undersized volume shooters who can't create is all that great to start with).  

I like Hardy in a deal with Holmes for PJ Washington because Charlotte is the type of team that might buy into the hype.  I suspect Hardy brings very little value to Orlando or Portland because of what they already have.  I could also see a Hardy/Moody swap if we end up dealing for Wiggins.  My construct would be GWill to GSW, the Warriors paying the Wizards to take Holmes and we get Wiggins/Moody.  I would try to pair that with THJ for WCJ adding a 5/4 in WCJ, a 4/3 in Wiggins and a 3/2 in Moody all with good defensive reputations in exchange for THJ/GWill/Holmes/Hardy.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(01-20-2024, 10:46 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This is why Dallas is mainly mentioned in terms of reclamation projects like Wiggins/Washington, both of whom are playing well below their contracts.  Collins used to be on that list, and we saw Atlanta basically give him away.  If we want to get into the game for a Grant or even DFS, we'd have to give up a real asset like 2027 or OMax.  Someone like WCJ probably requires THJ as Orlando can afford to trade one of their 3 centers for more shooting.

Hardy is a prominent asset for us, but he's probably a fake asset for NBA teams.  Sure, he'll be sold in other towns as this young scorer (future sixth man) who hit 40% of his 3's last season.  Some parts of a fan base will buy that and some parts will point to all the negative numbers he's producing and question whether he'll ever become anything (it isn't like the market for undersized volume shooters who can't create is all that great to start with).  

I like Hardy in a deal with Holmes for PJ Washington because Charlotte is the type of team that might buy into the hype.  I suspect Hardy brings very little value to Orlando or Portland because of what they already have.  I could also see a Hardy/Moody swap if we end up dealing for Wiggins.  My construct would be GWill to GSW, the Warriors paying the Wizards to take Holmes and we get Wiggins/Moody.  I would try to pair that with THJ for WCJ adding a 5/4 in WCJ, a 4/3 in Wiggins and a 3/2 in Moody all with good defensive reputations in exchange for THJ/GWill/Holmes/Hardy.

John Collins should be a cautionary tale.  He was under performing and given away for free, and now he is playing even worse and considered one of the worst contracts in the league.  Wiggins is already considered one of the worst contracts in the league and if he doesn't completely turn it around (a huge gamble) then Moody is not worth taking that albatross of a contract.

It doesn't sound like there is a ton of interest out there for Timmy, so the Timmy for WCJ seems like the only reasonable deal with him.  I'm on the fence on that one.  I like it better in the construct of your multiple deals if I wasn't scared as hell of Wiggins.  I'm also a little skeptical that this team is going to deal GWill.  He is underperforming and not a great fit, but I think he is very important to the locker room and I don't think they want to mess that up.  

If we are going to do anything other than buyout, it seems the most likely would be Timmy for WCJ or Holmes + Hardy for PJ.  Just please God no Wiggins!
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, Smitty, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
(01-20-2024, 12:58 PM)mvossman Wrote: John Collins should be a cautionary tale.  He was under performing and given away for free, and now he is playing even worse and considered one of the worst contracts in the league.  Wiggins is already considered one of the worst contracts in the league and if he doesn't completely turn it around (a huge gamble) then Moody is not worth taking that albatross of a contract.

Wiggins is a flat out "no" imho. You can't win with that contract on your books, imo. Why on Earth would someone help the Warriors fix their mistake?
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(01-20-2024, 01:26 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Wiggins is a flat out "no" imho. You can't win with that contract on your books, imo. Why on Earth would someone help the Warriors fix their mistake?

How much more (or less) out are you on Draymond versus Wiggins.  The math on many of the same ideas out there for  Wiggins also work for Draymond.  I can't see GSW with both on the roster past the TDL.
Like Reply
I agree that Hardy has been a disappointment so far this season. It only takes a hot streak over a couple of weeks to make most of the criticism go away though. He’s still fairly young and under contract for a few more years so there’s always room for hope. It’s up to him. 

Personally I have to admit that I never fully saw „it“ with Hardy though. I agree that his first step isn’t elite and that he clearly struggles creating space against NBA defenders. He needs an elite pullup game to make up for that as well as much better footwork under the rim and get better at PnR reads. Can he get there? I don’t know. He’s clearly talented and it’s not that he’s super tiny for a guard with Trex arms, but on the other hand not every small guard with non-elite athleticism turns into Jalen Brunson. JB came into the league a lot older, a lot more accomplished and with a more polished game already and it still took him years.

I gotta say that I’m pleasantly surprised by the coaching staff. Hardy hasn’t made it easy for them but they have done a marvelous job finding minutes for him despite the poor production. I’d imagine that will end at some point though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesConway912's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(01-20-2024, 01:42 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: How much more (or less) out are you on Draymond versus Wiggins.  The math on many of the same ideas out there for  Wiggins also work for Draymond.  I can't see GSW with both on the roster past the TDL.

I'm not a fan of either idea, tbh, but if forced to choose one, I'd go Draymond Green for sure. 

Also a bad contract, and there's probably some steep decline coming in the near future. Plus, he's crazy. BUT, at least he will kill himself and anyone/everyone in his path to win. That would probably be a useful presence in the locker room right about now. Risk aside, he's still the 2nd best player on the GS roster and would instantly bring a sort of creditability here.  

I have said many times that I'd rather veer younger at this point, not older, but if the decision is made to honor the Kyrie portion of "the window"...they could do worse with that path than Draymond Green. 

The worst thing about adding him is that I don't see that he'd be able to play much with Lively.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Boys this are all horrible ideas. I hope Nico is smarter than this. I would rather keep Timmy than trade for any of the players mentioned above. I am glad people are starting to wake up about Hardy. Never understood what the hype was about. Same with Omax, but I guess I will have to wait another year for the people to see it.
Personally I hope Mavs stay pat this deadline and just roll with what they have, although at this point I think we will be a play-in team. Maybe we make the playoffs maybe not.
Then go for it in the summer. As far as I am concerned anybody but Luka, Kyrie and Lively should be on the table at that point. Hell I would even trade Kyrie for a good return.
Like Reply
(01-20-2024, 10:46 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This is why Dallas is mainly mentioned in terms of reclamation projects like Wiggins/Washington, both of whom are playing well below their contracts.   

I could also see a Hardy/Moody swap if we end up dealing for Wiggins.  My construct would be GWill to GSW, the Warriors paying the Wizards to take Holmes and we get Wiggins/Moody.  

This is more reporting than advocacy.  I was looking for some explanation on what in the world happened to Wiggins from a Warriors POV on YouTube and came across one video (from Swish Culture, who has pretty good viewership) that had a  deal and a related deal that fit the reporting that:

Dallas is shopping THJ/Holmes
GSW wants a big (namely Gafford)
Washington is willing to facilitate bigger deals for compensation
Dallas has interest in Wiggins/Kuzma (or just about any big forward)
GSW will move Wiggins before the deadline

Wiggins is apparently very close to Poole and the way Poole was treated in GS is cited as contributing to Wiggins decline (pressure to be vaccinated, injuries, illness and his father's death being other factors in a string of events that destroyed the relationship with the Warriors).  So, part of the theory on the first deal is that being reunited with bestie Poole might reinvigorate Wiggins (what do the Wiz have to lose?).  Dallas isn't involved in the first one as it is just a Kuzma for Wiggins swap.  The GSW-based host thinks GSW would be forced to start Kuzma and that would be an issue for Kuminga's development.

So, he pivots to inserting Dallas into the deal with THJ going to GSW to come off the bench with Kuminga taking Wiggins' spot in the starting lineup.  That deal misses being legal by $170k and puts Dallas way into the tax this year.  It also doesn't solve GSW's need for a big.  So, the rest of this is my speculation trying to make his idea legal.  

I can see a path where Kuzma ends up here, THJ with the Warriors and you add Gafford (going to GSW) and Holmes (going to Washington) to the deal.  Dallas is back under the tax now and probably owes something to Washington (2025 second?) for taking on Holmes (I'm counting THJ/Kuz as a fairly even swap).  GSW needs to add some salary here.  I'm going to send Looney and GSW's 2025 first.  GSW is getting THJ and Gafford in this deal and sending out underperforming assets.  So, it should cost them something.  It could have been Moody, but I think GS would rather send the bigger salary and the Wiz would rather have the future first.   Washington needs to be bad the next couple of years and create some cap space in 2025.  Taking a flyer on Bagley (and now Wiggins) would be the kind of moves a tear it down team would make.

So, GSW gets THJ/Gafford for Wiggins/Looney/2025 GSW 1st

Dallas gets Kuzma for THJ/Holmes/2025 Tor 2nd

Washington gets Wiggins/Looney/Holmes/1st/2nd for Kuzma/Gafford  

Dallas is $7.8mm under the tax and drops $5.5mm of 24/25 salary.  The starting lineup is light on D, but Kuzma is much more of a shot creator than THJ.  So, as the game progresses you can keep two of Luka/Kyrie/Kuz on the floor with 3 defenders.  Depth chart =

Lively                           Powell/Morris
               Maxi
Kuzma                          OMax
               GWill
Luka
               DJJ
Green                           Hardy
               Exum
Kyrie                             Seth
Like Reply
(01-21-2024, 09:42 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Dallas gets Kuzma for THJ/Holmes/2025 Tor 2nd

I think Mavs give up way too little for Kuzma (I understand some of the pieces are going to GSW and some to Washington). I don't agree Kuzma and THJ are similar value. Kuzma is scoring more than THJ while also being a decent rebounder and passer. I think he is also a better defender. He got a 100 mil deal, but it is declining and in a league where everyone needs wings, especially ones that can shoot, he will always be a positive asset. Holmes is a negative contract of at least 2 SRP. 

Washington receives two (very) bad contracts and just one FRP. I think their asking price in this kind of package would be (at least) 2 FRP.

Washington is in no hurry to sell Kuzma. His value will only increase with time. They are bottom three worse teams as it is, so no need for them to get even worse. I think minimum to get us in conversation for Kuzma is 2027 first and then a combination of remaining assets.
Like Reply
(01-21-2024, 10:16 AM)omahen Wrote: Washington is in no hurry to sell Kuzma. His value will only increase with time. They are bottom three worse teams as it is, so no need for them to get even worse. I think minimum to get us in conversation for Kuzma is 2027 first and then a combination of remaining assets.

Fair.  I wasn't willing to take on the pitchforks from both the "never-Kuzma" crowd and the "never-2027" crowd, but I suspect you are correct about it taking a GSW #1 and a Dallas #1.  

I would LOVE to add a Moody for Hardy swap to this.  I'd be all over adding 2027 if I could to that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply