Poll: How would you grade this potential signing?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
11.11%
3 11.11%
B
25.93%
7 25.93%
C
37.04%
10 37.04%
D
11.11%
3 11.11%
F
0%
0 0%
L.O.L.
14.81%
4 14.81%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Kemba Walker to DAL | his knee is "not good"
(11-29-2022, 10:59 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Oh, I agree with all of that. Synergy between how the team is constructed and coached is crucial, and that’s not always present here in Dallas. The part I don’t think there is evidence to support is that it seems like you’re under the impression that the more successful acquisitions were Harrison’s, while the bombs were on Kidd. I think that’s the least nuanced conclusion possible. 

In reality, people get some things right and others wrong, professionally. Whatever their process is, I think it’s more reasonable to assume it’s fairly consistent from transaction to transaction, even if what’s “consistent” is that the process is a mess. Kidd might’ve liked the idea of Wood far more than the reality he saw when camp started, for example. The lack of follow through in the playing time relative to the asset price paid to acquire him, while disappointing, might not indicate anything other than buyer’s remorse (whether we see/understand why or not). OR, maybe this is the role they envisioned all along and it’s just that they don’t value late firsts even close to how much we do. Maybe they’re all shocked that people are making such an issue out of this. 

The only thing we know for sure is that Cuban doesn’t trust Harrison to make player evaluations. We know that because he went almost out of his way to declare it PUBLICLY in an interview, as if he were jealous of the attention the new hire was getting, possibly. Or, maybe he thought it was so obvious that he didn’t realize how many eyebrows would raise from such a simple statement. Whatever the case, the thing I’m most sure about is that Harrison hasn’t been the “decider” on a single player acquisition since he arrived. Whether the main voice has been Kidd, Finley or Cuban I don’t feel comfortable guessing, but whomever it is, everything from the last two years (at least) us on them, good and bad.

You may be right.  Nico has certainly not given me the alpha personality type when I hear him talk.  I don't want to judge him off a few interviews as different personality types can succeed in these roles.

I do think the Mavs need an alpha in their GM role though....especially with their setup.  Cuban is always going to think he is the smartest man in the room.   Someone needs to be able to curb his "get rich quickly" schemes without pissing him off.   Second, With Cuban there will always be another Bob V lurking.    NBA front offices are very political and there is always someone trying to get power.  Sooner or later Cuban will listen to someone selling an attractive vision.   Lastly, of course Kidd is an alpha.  He is one of the greatest players ever and is widely known as a basketball savant.  Of course, he is going to have strong views.   A strong GM needs to be able to listen to his coach but ideally build the team with moves of his vision.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FA: Kemba Walker to DAL | Facu waived - by Chicagojk - 11-29-2022, 11:14 AM