Poll: How would you grade this potential signing?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
11.11%
3 11.11%
B
25.93%
7 25.93%
C
37.04%
10 37.04%
D
11.11%
3 11.11%
F
0%
0 0%
L.O.L.
14.81%
4 14.81%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Kemba Walker to DAL | his knee is "not good"
https://twitter.com/MatejSportinfo/statu...1237597184
Like Reply
I think he will play most of his minutes with Dinwiddie.   I think Din fits better as a secondary creator and not the lead guy.   Kemba is at least a threat from three and can run an offense.   He has trouble finishing due to his knees now.   Defense is where it may be a problem.  But I view this as a regular season move to get productive minutes out of another guard.  Come playoff time, if we make the playoffs, I wouldn't expect much from him.   Plus, with his knees he may not be able to play a full season anyway.
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 11:27 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1597255450205954053

The GM has spoken
[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • hakeemfaan, Paul Gasol, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 11:37 AM)Smitty Wrote: The GM has spoken

Absolutely. 

There's a reason Cuban is the one available to the media for questions like this. It was the same when Donnie was here, for years and years. We can rationalize it if we want, but this is really all the proof that's required.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply

Maybe. 

At a minimum we know "the spokesman has spoken." Cuban loves being the face of the organization. And I don't ever see that changing. 

Two possibilities from my seat:

1) When Cuban says "we" he is simply speaking on behalf of the people he has empowered to make moves. He is simply being the spokesman and face of the Mavs and Nico/Kidd/Fin are behind this move.

2) Cuban is frustrated with the direction of things and the choices made this summer and is now starting to wield his power again. I do think this is very possible as I think Kemba was always a guy CUBAN wanted. 

My fear is that #2 is happening. Cato said Cuban empowered Nico/Kidd this summer and now Cuban is being given evidence that they are incompetent and maybe he can do the job better than they can. UGH. I sure hope it isn't #2.

UGH. Actually #1 isn't any better when I think about it because Nico/Kidd/Fin have not proved to be slightly competent so far.
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 11:27 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1597255450205954053

Why is the owner the one commenting on this move?

beat me to the point  Smile
Like Reply

https://giphy.com/gifs/brandmkrs-pedro-a...scg5Fxx1DQ
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesConway912's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 12:30 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Why is the owner the one commenting on this move?

Because he has made himself the spokesman and face of the franchise from literally day one.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1597282077405499392

So according to Brad here, it seems that Kemba has NOT been the target since the summer.
Like Reply
How about JKidd coaches an offense that has more nuance than "give Luka the ball"?
Like Reply

I don't know why anyone ever thought different.  Actions speak louder than words.  If Cuban was serious about giving up the GM reins, he would have hired someone with respected front office experience, not a shoe salesman with no NBA experience at all.  To me the Nico and Kidd hires screamed plan powder with the hope that they could recruit free agents better than the last group (which turned out to be an epic fail as their biggest free agent signing in two years is Bullock).
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • hakeemfaan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Resigning THJ the summer you hired Cuban should have clued everyone in that things are largely the same.  "Hey Jason, we know you want to bring a defensive mindset to this team but we are going to resign an inefficient chucker who is allergic to defensive as your second highest paid player.  Good Luck!"

Follow that up with:
-Jalen walking (the damage was already done here so I don't think retaining him was a reality)
-Not signing anyone to replace Jalen including Dragic who could have saved the effort/money of signing Pinson, Facu and Kemba.
-Using the logic that getting THJ back from injury is our Jalen replacement when the team didn't miss a beat with THJ out.
-Signing a 1YR minimum center to a 3YR deal.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 01:04 PM)cow Wrote: Resigning THJ the summer you hired Cuban should have clued everyone in that things are largely the same.  "Hey Jason, we know you want to bring a defensive mindset to this team but we are going to resign an inefficient chucker who is allergic to defensive as your second highest paid player.  Good Luck!"

Follow that up with:
-Jalen walking (the damage was already done here so I don't think retaining him was a reality)
-Not signing anyone to replace Jalen including Dragic who could have saved the effort/money of signing Pinson, Facu and Kemba.
-Using the logic that getting THJ back from injury is our Jalen replacement when the team didn't miss a beat with THJ out.
-Signing a 1YR minimum center to a 3YR deal.

The THJ signing was something they had to do. JB had not broken out yet and where else were you going to get scoring from if Luka was hurt or even in the game?  We can argue that they could have got someone better in FA, but chances are more likely they would have got someone worse than THJ. It sucks that THJ is struggling but at that time I dont see how they could have just let him walk.
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 10:34 AM)cow Wrote: I liked Facu a bunch but his critical flaw just isn't compatible with the modern NBA.  Kemba is a good signing but does show the MBT are still largely inept and Dragic should have been the guy.

I really don't see the difference between Kemba or Dragic to be truthful. Both are on the wrong side of the fence. Dragic had played pretty good as Dosumu's backup in Chicago and Walker hasn't played. Looks like a push to me.

(11-28-2022, 10:51 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: I'm pretty sure the best team in the league regularly plays five guys who are as old or older than Kemba Walker and two more wise old vets will play when healthy.

Jrue Holiday (32)
Brook Lopez (34)
George Hill (36)
Serge Ibaka (33)
Wes Mathews (36)
Kris Middleton (31)
Joe Ingles (35)

And last year's title team starts three guys who are as old or older than Walker.

Curry (34)
Draymond (32)
Klay (32)

Fans get excited about young players with upside but veteran teams win titles.

With Kemba the question marks are 100% more about injury history than age.

Al Horford is in that mix.
Like Reply
It’s not about age as much as if these guys the Mavs bring back even have anything left.  Anyway we didn’t give up anything for Kemba. Might as well take a chance and see if it works as a stop gap. The danger is similar to Dirk’s last years and always trying for a decent stop gap that you are neither a legit contender nor a bottom feeder with a high draft pick.  I would rather just embrace the tank this year.
[-] The following 3 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • Dahlsim, Paul Gasol, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Should have released Pinson. It wouldn't hurt to have both Kemba and Campazzo on the roster. Pinson is never going to get in a game unless it is garbage time. The guy pulled the ultimate scam in turning a gig as a bench cheerleader into a 1-year contract.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SwisherPrice's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 02:42 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Should have released Pinson. It wouldn't hurt to have both Kemba and Campazzo on the roster. Pinson is never going to get in a game unless it is garbage time. The guy pulled the ultimate scam in turning a gig as a bench cheerleader into a 1-year contract.

You might be right, but there's no way anyone but the non-guaranteed guy is getting sacrificed for this, especially with the tax implications.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
Kemba signing worries me, because are people sure he is taking minutes from just THJ?  Big Grin

Kidd needs a 8 man roster not a 15 roster, tho he can get his rotation right. More people on the roster, more chances Kidd is messing up the rotation even more.

If Kemba plays 10 min, i need to know who is losing those 10 min?
[-] The following 1 user Likes sefant's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
Kemba will probably take minutes from Green most likely. Those 15-20 minutes will go to Kemba as the Mavs aren't interested in giving Green a real chance to ever knock off THJ/Bullock on the pecking order. Kidd will love the Kemba + Bullock + THJ shooting potential.
Like Reply
(11-28-2022, 03:22 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Kemba will probably take minutes from Green most likely.

Then things will only get worse.
Like Reply