Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 15: DEN (9-6) @ DAL (9-6) | 127-99 win
(11-19-2022, 12:15 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I wonder...we've been focussed on "big" reasons this hasn't been the plan for starting. Limiting Kleber to keep him healthy and effective, the fit of all the bigs together and how best to get that rotation optimized, etc.

Is this maybe about something else? Like, is Kidd trying to avoid sitting either Dinwiddie, Bullock or DFS out of some sense of loyalty and trust built during last season? If so, I think that's pretty misguided.

We did things in the playoffs last year that we saw very little of during the regular season.  The way we used players last season after the new year was very different than how we used them prior to 12/31.  I hate it when we give away easily winnable games, but I don’t really have an issue with doing whatever Kidd wants to do in Nov/Dec.  I suspect he will settle into something sometime in the new year that probably looks a little different than what is happening right now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-19-2022, 12:25 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I hate it when we give away easily winnable games, but I don’t really have an issue with doing whatever Kidd wants to do in Nov/Dec.

I agree with this to an extent, but think "whatever" has to be within reason. I feel like he has made coaching choices that have led to at least 3 losses that the Mavs likely wouldn't have had. That can be the difference between home court advantage and being on the road or being in the play-in or not. He needs to be called out for it IMO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(11-19-2022, 12:25 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: We did things in the playoffs last year that we saw very little of during the regular season.  The way we used players last season after the new year was very different than how we used them prior to 12/31.  I hate it when we give away easily winnable games, but I don’t really have an issue with doing whatever Kidd wants to do in Nov/Dec.  I suspect he will settle into something sometime in the new year that probably looks a little different than what is happening right now.

Yeah, I get that and agree completely. 

But you keep saying "Wood doesn't have to play solo big in order to start" (or get those 30-32 minutes, if that's more accurate), so I guess my question then becomes: Is Kidd trying to figure out the best lineups, or is he just trying to figure out the best 5th guy to play with Luka, Dinwiddie, Bullock and DFS? I mean, I don't think he has been hampered by that limitation when envisioning ending lineups, but it might be fair to wonder whether he's mentally "locked in" on that mindset for the starting lineup. 

Even that, I think, might be limited thinking on his part, as the only two starters I'd personally have had written in pen when this season started were Luka and DFS (and as much as I hate to say it, even DFS comes with question marks if he has to play the 3). 

Just interesting to think about, imo, and this might be the answer to some people's questions. I mean, if those 4 guys are locked in, AND Kidd sees Wood the way you have been pointing out, then he really DOES need to play solo 5 to start, meaning that he'll probably not ever start. 

Then again, Bullock's minutes have been declining, so maybe a week from now he (or Dinwiddie, or DFS) makes way for Kleber and Powell makes way for Wood a week from now and this entire conversation seems silly. As you say, big changes tend to happen between December and February.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
I felt like last year I had more of a feel on what we SHOULD do
It was clear to me early on that we needed to start Brunson and Bullock and play them heavy minutes including ending games with  them. Stayed pretty consistent with that

This year I don't know exactly what the hell is best. Constantly shifting.
At the moment I want to ride Green and Wood (assuming that he is coming back) for big major minutes in preparation for next year. Maybe it ends up working this year but whatever. I think them having consistent big minute starting and ending roles is what makes the most sense for the future

I see the lineup of Luka/Dinwiddie/Green/DFS/Wood having the highest window of any 5 combo if they can figure out how to make it all work
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply