Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 13: LAC (8-7) @ DAL (8-5) | 103-101 win
(11-16-2022, 02:28 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: They have to. He's the only sure thing on the team that gives them a chance to win every night, he bailed them out last night.  Bullock and THJ play Jekyll and Hyde too often, and Kidd doesn't really trust Green yet.   Improve the roster, then he'll have a chance to rest.

I'm not sure it's this simple. I know this is sacrilegious around here, but I think Luka might be part of the problem.  

To my mind, the reason those shots started falling last night was, in part, because the ball was moving much more than it has so far this season. One of the reasons for that was that the Clipps started to double and trap, which teams haven't been doing so much lately, and don't get me wrong - if Luka has a mismatch 1-on-1 then the numbers probably tell you his usage rate is warranted. BUT, I feel like more of an effort to get other players in rhythm early could be made, and that it would help the offense significantly. 

This is basically what Donnie Nelson said on the radio (and he got flamed for saying it) a couple of years ago, and I think that he was correct (though could've expressed the thought a bit better). I just don't know at this point if it's a Luka problem or a Kidd problem. Either way, it's all a work in progress and probably not as "end of the world" as we think.
Like Reply
(11-16-2022, 02:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: IMO, you might as well send Wood out in that trade, because the writing would essentially be on the wall at that point.

I think they can get away with it if the only bigs in the rotation are Wood, Turner and Maxi. That´s actually one of the few "twin tower" versions that has the potential to work in the current NBA. All of them can shoot. Maxi is more of a perimeter defender anyway. Turner is one of the more mobile rim protectors. Wood at least has the physical tools. Not sure if he ever figures out how to turn them into positive impact on defense.
A little bit like the Cavs last season. Two ballhandlers. And a giant front court.
Like Reply
(11-16-2022, 02:32 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: One thing to bear in mind in the lineup data…I believe the Mav’s are actively protecting Wood (or certainly were early in the season).  Tougher big matchups are played one way.  Easier big matchups are played another.  So fully unleashing Wood at solo-center is a bigger leap than we may realize.

And I'm FINE with that.

I just hope this is all en route to the goal of being able to play him at solo-center. I realize that coming off of a WCF appearance with quite possibly the best player in the world on the roster makes for some high expectations regarding the "win vs. teach" balance, trust me. I just hope they've got their eyes on what I consider the "prize" of truly maximizing the opportunity Wood offers this team.
Like Reply
(11-16-2022, 02:37 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think they can get away with it if the only bigs in the rotation are Wood, Turner and Maxi. That´s actually one of the few "twin tower" versions that has the potential to work in the current NBA. All of them can shoot. Maxi is more of a perimeter defender anyway. Turner is one of the more mobile rim protectors. Wood at least has the physical tools. Not sure if he ever figures out how to turn them into positive impact on defense.
A little bit like the Cavs last season. Two ballhandlers. And a giant front court.

Am I the only one who remembers how Turner spoke out about hating that he was just being used as a spacer? That he wanted to be involved and featured in the offense? I think this was at least part of why they traded Sabonis, tbh. 

In many ways, I think Turner/Wood is similar to Powell/Wood, tbh. Sure, Turner is more of a shooting threat (not as good as advertised, if you watch him) but of the three players in question, Turner is probably the slowest and Powell is probably the quickest when it comes to moving his feet on defense. Plus, Turner is always either hurt or causing some type of drama.

I'm just not into it, personally.
Like Reply
(11-16-2022, 02:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: IMO, you might as well send Wood out in that trade, because the writing would essentially be on the wall at that point.
Really? That’s interesting to me. I think a 4 man big rotation of Turner, Wood, Maxi and DFS would pretty well solidify those 2 positions for a pretty long time into the future.
Like Reply
(11-16-2022, 02:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Am I the only one who remembers how Turner spoke out about hating that he was just being used as a spacer? That he wanted to be involved and featured in the offense? I think this was at least part of why they traded Sabonis, tbh. 

In many ways, I think Turner/Wood is similar to Powell/Wood, tbh. Sure, Turner is more of a shooting threat (not as good as advertised, if you watch him) but of the three players in question, Turner is probably the slowest and Powell is probably the quickest when it comes to moving his feet on defense. Plus, Turner is always either hurt or causing some type of drama.

I'm just not into it, personally.

Current Jazz are a good example for a team that takes full advantage of two bigs that can both shoot from 3. And if one of them (Markkanen/Wood) can also face up from the perimeter it gets even better. Creates a lot of space in the paint.

I remember the Turner/Sabonis topic. I actually don´t think that Turner/Wood would be as one sided as Turner/Sabonis. Wood can space the floor. Sabonis couldn´t. Meaning that they could switch it up and involve both. Not to mention that in a small sample size Turner performed really well in a more featured role. This season his offense has been better than Wood´s. 17.9ppg on 65.6% TS. 
Agree that his health is a major question mark. But depending on the price it might be worth it.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-16-2022, 02:54 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Current Jazz are a good example for a team that takes full advantage of two bigs that can both shoot from 3. And if one of them (Markkanen/Wood) can also face up from the perimeter it gets even better. Creates a lot of space in the paint.

Totally with you here. 

From my seat, those two guys are not like Turner at all, and I bet if you did an anonymous poll around here, most of the people would vote that they're playing NO bigs, rather than TWO. They'd be wrong, obviously, but my point is that those two dudes are much more like Wood (just like Powell and Kleber are) than they are like Turner. Some genius on here would probably try to tell you they're "wings."

I think the idea of Turner is much better than the reality, that's all. There was a time when he was uncommonly fleet of foot for his size and yes, he can do some things as a spacer and/or a face-up scorer, but idk, man...for the past 3-4 years it has just been one problem after another. 

I would LOVE to add either of the Jazz guys you mentioned, and while I wasn't in favor of the Markannen thing when it seemed like a possibility, I have since realized how wrong I was, and how you really can't ever have enough of those guys in the modern game.
Like Reply
(11-16-2022, 02:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Luka might be part of the problem

He absolutely is. The stats have been saying this his whole career. He has moments of being utterly brilliant, completely carrying the team toward winning and then he has moments where he causes everything to fall apart on BOTH ends. This is especially been true in the regular season. Thankfully in the playoffs he has been much more of what you need him to be, consistently.
Like Reply
(11-16-2022, 03:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Totally with you here. 

From my seat, those two guys are not like Turner at all, and I bet if you did an anonymous poll around here, most of the people would vote that they're playing NO bigs, rather than TWO. They'd be wrong, obviously, but my point is that those two dudes are much more like Wood (just like Powell and Kleber are) than they are like Turner. Some genius on here would probably try to tell you they're "wings."

I think the idea of Turner is much better than the reality, that's all. There was a time when he was uncommonly fleet of foot for his size and yes, he can do some things as a spacer and/or a face-up scorer, but idk, man...for the past 3-4 years it has just been one problem after another. 

I would LOVE to add either of the Jazz guys you mentioned, and while I wasn't in favor of the Markannen thing when it seemed like a possibility, I have since realized how wrong I was, and how you really can't ever have enough of those guys in the modern game.

Mavs have missed the Markkanen window but Olynyk should be a target if it doesn´t cost a first to get him. On defense he plays a lot like Powell. With added sneaky physicality (borderline dirty). On offense he offers a lot more.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-16-2022, 03:07 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs have missed the Markkanen window

Which is really depressing in hindsight.
Like Reply
Someone do the numbers when THJ and Wood share the floor.
Like Reply
(11-16-2022, 06:34 PM)cow Wrote: Someone do the numbers when THJ and Wood share the floor.

+11.4 in 182 mins.
Like Reply