Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker
(06-22-2023, 11:11 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: I think we use a bullpen approach. Powell, Lively and one of Holmes/Mcgee. 

Also Maxi small ball minutes 

O Max/Maxi at the 4

THJ/Bullock at the 3

Plus the best guard rotation in the league (still need a vet min bench guard)

I think the biggest need is a 3/4, so Grant Williams is logical. I like the direction

I definitely see yours and Dan's thought processes. But with that reality it means the Mavs won't get future NBA superstar Deandre Ayton. 

I think the addition of 1 starter level wing is definitely of need. Grant Williams I think is a bit flawed. He was a bench player for the Celtics and was benched entirely when the going got tough. 

I wonder if the Hawks are still interested in moving on from Deandre Hunter?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
Mavs get their rim-rolling Cs.
Include McGee, then there's 3 of them.
There's no need for DP.

What the Mavs are missing is a stretch 4.
Maxi is the lone guy out there in this spot.
[-] The following 3 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 11:15 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Mavs get their rim-rolling Cs.
There's no need for DP.

Gallo if Wizards buy him out?
Like Reply
2 48 Jordan Miller SF United States Los Angeles Clippers Miami (Sr.)

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
5m
Sources: The Cleveland Cavaliers are selecting Emoni Bates at No. 49.

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
3m
Sources: Oklahoma City is selecting Keyontae Johnson at No. 50.

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
Sources: Nets select Jalen Wilson at No. 51.
[-] The following 2 users Like speedkilz88's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, SleepingHero
Like Reply
2 52 Toumani Camara United States Phoenix Suns

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
Clarity here: Toumani Camara will be with the Suns. Phoenix targeted and selected him tonight. The pick was not part of the Bradley Beal trade.
Like Reply
2 53 Jaylen Clark SG United States Minnesota Timberwolves (from New York via Charlotte)[I][AA]

2 54 Jalen Slawson SF/PF United States Sacramento Kings
Like Reply
2 55 Isaiah Wong PG United States Indiana Pacers (from Cleveland via Milwaukee and Detroit)[AB][D]
Like Reply
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
17s
The Warriors are trading Patrick Baldwin Jr. to the Wizards as part of the Chris Paul-Jordan Poole trade, sources said.

2 56 Tarik Biberovic PF Turkey Memphis Grizzlies

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
2m
Sources: The Warriors are acquiring the No. 57 pick from Washington and taking Trayce Jackson-Davis.

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
1m
After finding an NBA fit when shut down two weeks ago, Kentucky freshman Chris Livingston’s landing spot: Milwaukee Bucks at No. 58, sources said. The final pick of the 2023 NBA draft.
[-] The following 2 users Like speedkilz88's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, MFFL
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 11:20 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Gallo if Wizards buy him out?

I'd aim higher.

If the Mavs get Gallo, might as well slot Omax at PF too since, I'm not expecting Maxi and Gallo to be available all the time.
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 11:42 PM)speedkilz88 Wrote:
The final pick of the 2023 NBA draft.

Thank you for all the updates
Like Reply
Mike Miles Ex 10/2-Way to Dallas
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 11:15 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Mavs get their rim-rolling Cs.
There's no need for DP.

That's what it's looking like.  While I'm excited for the young guys, not sure I can put up with another year of being 7-9 seed.  That center rotation is garbage and there's no 4 other than Maxi.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
Can we shoutout speedkilz88 for his fantastic coverage for tonight?

What a legend. If you want I can give you a special signature for Legendary Draft Coverage
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 8 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan, HoosierDaddyKid, khaled1987, KillerLeft, Mavs2021, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo, WillE
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/chrisbhaynes/status/...13568?s=46&t=VkC4p6TKgoXQGQQAi-GBpg

@ChrisBHaynes
Undrafted free agent guard Jordan Walker out of UAB agrees to a one-year deal with the Dallas Mavericks, his agent Daniel Hazan of @hazansportsmgmt tells @NBAonTNT, @BleacherReport.
Like Reply
The team still sucks and lacks talent. Will be lucky to make playoffs.
Like Reply
They made some fringe type of moves, but it still leaves me feeling like wanting more. They've hamstrung themselves to get here.
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 12:48 AM)JCB Wrote: The team still sucks and lacks talent. Will be lucky to make playoffs.

Good thing we have that whole free agency thing coming up and can still make trades to continue to add talent.
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 11:51 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: That's what it's looking like.  While I'm excited for the young guys, not sure I can put up with another year of being 7-9 seed.  That center rotation is garbage and there's no 4 other than Maxi.

Very much agree. Mavs desperately needed two starter level guys and I am sceptical, they got one using their best asset. Perhaps in a couple of years, but I am not convinced sooner.

These moves would be great, if Mavs would be building for the future. With aging ticking bomb Kyrie around, I don't see much of an immediate team improvement. I hope I am wrong and at least one of the rookies can play very productive minutes since year 1. 

While there is summer ahead, Mavs best asset is also gone.
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 04:27 AM)omahen Wrote: Very much agree. Mavs desperately needed two starter level guys and I am sceptical, they got one using their best asset. Perhaps in a couple of years, but I am not convinced sooner.

These moves would be great, if Mavs would be building for the future. With aging ticking bomb Kyrie around, I don't see much of an immediate team improvement. I hope I am wrong and at least one of the rookies can play very productive minutes since year 1. 

While there is summer ahead, Mavs best asset is also gone.

When the whole Capela talk started I posted these stats:

2021/2022 seasons:

11.1 PPG / 11.9 RPG / 1.2 APG / 1.3 BPG / 0.7 SPG / 28 MPG
10.4 PPG / 7.0 RPG / 1.1 APG / 0.9 BPG / 0.4 SPG / 24 MPG

Just one season ago, there was virtually no difference between Capela and Holmes. Same age, very similar production. Difference is with a Capela trade you likely have to give up THJ (not Bertans), you likely don´t get Lively at #15 and you certainly don´t get an additional 1st round pick.

Look I´m not convinced Lively and OMP are the best picks yet, but they basically accomplished everything you could hope for last night.

1.They leveraged the OKC/Orlando interest in Cason Wallace into a complete salary dump of Bertans, which I did not think was possible. All that while still getting their top target left on the board.
2. They used the TPE to acquire a player, in a position of need, that will likely become a rotational piece in the back-up C position, while also acquiring an additional 1st round pick. I can´t tell you how many times in the past, they signed players via free agency, that were worse than "bad" contracts that were dumped a week early with a 1st round pick attached.  
3. They are now in a much stronger position to move forward in multiple directions. Their future doesn´t solely depend on Kyrie. I´d be a lot less scared to play hardball with Kyrie right now and lose him for nothing.

Maybe Lively/OMP don´t become, what the Mavs projected them to be. Draft is not an exact science afterall.

But we are not in this shitty position, because of that.

Last night was professional asset management. They leveraged situations. They improved the overall cap flexibility. They upgraded the roster by virtually trading Bertans straight up for Holmes.

That was the work of an actual NBA front office.

EDIT: I also like this Miles Jr. kid on the two-way deal. Obviously noticed that he´s short, but there was also a lot of craftiness in his game around the rim and in the mid-range, similar to a JJB. Definitely worth a try.

Also I don´t buy this Lively shooting thing yet, what stood out to me on offense was actually his passing. That´s good to have.
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 09:50 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Is this the first time the Mavs have gotten a FRP without sending anything in return?

DoJo pick
Like Reply